Can a shaft over power club head technology?

Leftygolfin

Will a shaft really bring down my ball flight with these?
Ok, So I have a set of original Nike Slingshots and a set of Nike NDS Irons that I am working on. I love both just for the fact that they are so forgiving. I have played ever iron available and just seem to prefer the game improvement irons. I have a pretty solid swing and my distances are even a little to long for me and Im not concerned about getting long distance with my irons. Currently my 7 iron with the Slingshot is a 180 yard club with the factory stiff shaft and the 7 iron with the NDS is a 170 yard club with the factory shaft. My biggest problem is that I seem to hit the ball just to high. My swing is probably to strong for factory shafts, Im sure. I don't know my iron swing speed with my irons but my driver is around 115 mph.

Ok, so here is my question:

Both the Slingshots and the NDS's ,I believe, are designed to get the ball up easily and that is never a problem for me. I am wondering if I put some Dynamic Gold X100 shafts in them if it will really bring the ball flight down. Im just curious as to weither the shafts will really bring the flight down on a head that is designed to get the ball up. What do you think are the best shaft options are to bring down my ball flight?? Thanks for any opinions on this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about this aswell when I was playing cavity backs as I had a very high ballflight as well. I came to the conclusion that not even the X would bring the flight down enough...(I came to this concl. in my head - not by trying) I mean if you think about it, can the new shaft really be that much stiffer and have a bend point that is so much higher than your old shafts that it would change the way the club comes to impact so much, that it would ''counterbalance'' the low COG in your irons... I guess it does depend a little on your swing too - why you are hitting it high - if you have a good swing and hit down on the ball and create decent backspin and use a low cog club its gonna go high even if you use something that plays like a lamppole flexwise IMO...

Disclaimer: There is no factual information in this post, only my thoughts and NO practical experience of actuallly using a lamppole as a shaft.

if you have "factory shafts" in a nike "game imporvement iron" then most likely it is the speed step steel which is a tt tx-90, light weight steel shaft with low kick point and soft tip - high trajectroy and lots of spin. yes, you will see a noticeable difference in trajectory. will they still be high? yes, but not as high as they are now. i've replaced the speed step steel shafts in a pro combo utility iron, t-40 tour wood, and t-60 wood with rifle shafts (6.0 or 5.5 tipped 1") and there is a noticeable difference in trajectory. dg are even lower trajectory than the rifle. i've also compared a set of pro combos with the speed step, rifle 6.0 (my set) and with tt dg s300 - all in the 2004 head and there was a difference in trajectory in all of them.

if your unsure, either take the 7 iron of both set and reshaft them only, or even better, see if you can't find a 7 iron for both sets, and then you can compare head to head.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Hi new to the forum.

Short answer: No.

Your answer: Yes

The shaft passes the hands at impact with a club that is too flexible and meets perfectly with a shaft that is the proper flex.

In your case the head is passing your hands thus giving you additional loft. Switching to a correct flex will give you a slightly lower ball flight and keep you from leaving these out to the left.

Your trajectory is a product of your ball speed and there isnt much you can do to change this save for getting blades or something of that nature with a higher CG.

I have the same problem. I hit my irons so ridiculously high and far. I had cobra oversize 2 irons and switched to x-16 pro series recently. The X-16s have a weaker loft so i will hit them even higher. I just practice my knockdowns and when it isnt windy i play my best :)

So yes it will help but not a whole lot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.