Nike 20XI S

 G.Review ·  
G.ReviewG.Review Members  533WRX Points: 3Posts: 533 Bunkers
Joined:  in Balls #1
What do you think?



Posted:
1

Comments

  • bjacksonbjackson Win The Day Marshals  5689WRX Points: 56Posts: 5,689 Marshals
    Joined:  #2
    I just played my first round with the 20XI-S. Great, great ball. This is going to be my gamer for the year. I've been a ProV1 guy for years and years, dabbling with others, but decided to make the jump to this ball for 2011. After giving it an on course test run today, I'm very happy with what I saw. It was solid off the driver, perfect trajectory with my irons, but best of all it spins around the greens! Made me feel like I was playing with the older U grooves. Very soft and checked up like I hoped it would. Feel off the putter was very nice as well. Give it a try if you haven't already, it lives up to the hype if you ask me.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ObsessotronObsessotron Members  1583WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,583
    Joined:  #3
    I have gladly switched from ProV1 to 20XI-S. It's a great ball that performs everywhere, it is soft but it provides the player with more tactile feedback on the clubface. A lot of premium balls are getting a bit too soft now, and while this is just as soft, the audible feedback provided by the new core makes it a more involving experience.
    Posted:
  • Hitn18Hitn18 Be The Ball Members  214WRX Points: 77Handicap: 7.8Posts: 214 Fairways
    Joined:  #4
    I just bought a dozen (20XI-S) to try after reading some of the reviews, even though some were not very good. I was hoping that the ball was going to be very good but I ended up very dissapointed. The ball was terrible of the tee at least 5 to 10 yards short and very low trajectory. I will say that around the greens it was one of the best balls that I have tried, great spin and very soft feel. At the end of the round I gave the remaining three sleeves to one of the kids that works at my club (he's a 3 handicap), after talking to him and the pro my guess is that these balls are most suited to golfers with swing speeds in excess of 100mph.



    Jeff


    bjackson wrote:


    I just played my first round with the 20XI-S. Great, great ball. This is going to be my gamer for the year. I've been a ProV1 guy for years and years, dabbling with others, but decided to make the jump to this ball for 2011. After giving it an on course test run today, I'm very happy with what I saw. It was solid off the driver, perfect trajectory with my irons, but best of all it spins around the greens! Made me feel like I was playing with the older U grooves. Very soft and checked up like I hoped it would. Feel off the putter was very nice as well. Give it a try if you haven't already, it lives up to the hype if you ask me.
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G410 10.5
    3 Wood Ping G410
    Titleist 818 3, 4, and 5
    Irons Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal
    Wedges Mizuno T20 50, 54, 58
    Putter Bobby Grace Blade 18 Custom 
    Ball Snell MTBX
  • tparifftpariff Members  3869WRX Points: 55Posts: 3,869 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5
    Before I get into the review on this ball, let me give you a little background. I'm a 6 handicap with a driver swing speed of ~ 105 mph with a pretty quick tempo. I'd probably be considered more of a hitter than a swinger.



    For the last year I've been playing the Nike One Tour D almost exclusively so I have a great point of reference for comparing Nike tour level balls. I've also tried the Nike One Tour, but didn't really care for all the spin generated off the driver and irons.



    I tested both 20XI models (S & X) over the same weekend, head to head, where I alternated the two every 3 holes.



    Now for my review of the 20XI-S:





    Appearance



    Nice white color. Not quite as bright as the new Srixon line, but not quite as "dull" as the TM Penta or Titleist Pro V1. Graphics are subtle and well done.



    One thing I did notice right off the bat was the depth of the dimples compared to the Tour D. When I went to draw an alignment line on the 20XI-S it felt that the Sharpie hit small speed bumps along the way. It seems the dimples on this ball are a bit deeper than those on the Tour D.



    Packaging is OK. I've read some responses from WRX'ers that the boxes look cheap, like Top Flites or the like. I don't agree with that. I find the packaging a bit more flashy, but let's remember that it's JUST packaging. I'm more concerned with what's inside.





    Feel - Driver / Irons



    Between the S and X versions of this ball, the S felt more like the Tour D. The S definitely has more of a "click" sound at impact, but it doesn't feel hard like the X. With the One Tour series, the Tour was clearly softer than the Tour D. I'd say there is still that gap in feel, but it seems that the 20XI-S is more comparable to the Tour D in feel off long shots.





    Feel - Short Shots / Putter



    Again the S and Tour D feel very similar off short shots and the putter. The S does have more of a click off the putter than the Tour D, and less than the X, but overall it feels and sounds good. Spin around the green was absolutely amazing. I fully expected it would spin more than the Tour D on short shots and it delivered.



    I hit a couple of pitches / chips that stopped very quickly from suspect lies. Very nice!





    Distance



    Distance was virtually identical to the Tour D throughout the bag, and possibly a few yards longer. The S was a good 5-10 yards longer than the X, which seems strange considering the X is supposed to be the "distance" ball. I posted in my review of the X that perhaps I don't have the SS to make that ball work for me, so that could be the reason why the S performed better than the X in the distance category.



    Compared to the One Tour, the S is quite a bit longer for me.





    Spin



    The S has spin to spare, but there's no overkill in the spin category off the driver like I found with the One Tour. While I did not see the benefit of the resin core in the 20XI-X, I can definitely see it in the S version. Driver spin is minimized while short iron spin is maximized. A+ for achieving that goal.



    In my opinion the S and Tour D have comparable amounts of spin on longer shots, but the S has quite a bit more spin on shorter shots and around the green.





    Flight / Wind Performance



    There was no significant wind during my testing. The ball held its line well in what little wind I had over the weekend.



    I'm not a big "worker" of the ball, so this is not applicable.





    Durability



    Both the S and X are very durable. No issues here with shredding on full shots. Both are at least as durable as the Tour D.





    Conclusion



    Nike hit the mark with the 20XI-S....I like it! image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' /> I know there will come a day soon when the Tour D will disappear, but at least I know I've found a good replacement in the 20XI-S. I could play either ball and be happy.



    I also reviewed the Nike 20XI-X here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/471124-nike-20xi-x/





    Thanks for looking!

    Kevin
    Posted:
  • brooktinibrooktini Members  170WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6.9Posts: 170
    Joined:  #6
    My buddy's dad won a dozen of these is a tournament. He gave me 2 sleeves to try and and tell him what I thought, I loved the feel off my irons and wedges great spin. The only downside was I had to change balls every two holes because my wedges were ripping the cover.
    Posted:
    Driver-Titleist 913 D3 7.5 Whiteboard
    3 Wood-Titleist 913 Fd 15 Aldia Phenom
    Hybrid-Adams 20 Speeder 904h x flex
    Irons-i25 3-5 s55 6-pw dg s300 red lie
    Wedges-Ping Gorge 50-54 dg s300
    Putter-1997 Newport 2 Longneck
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16220WRX Points: 1,228Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,220 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Oct 13, 2011 #7
    In terms of distance perhaps you need more spin to have optimal numbers which is why you hit the S further.
    Posted:
    Driver - Under construction
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges - Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Odyssey Versa 6
    Srixon Zstar XV

    WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1


    Instagram-
    On -, @Jminis13





  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • RICDOGGRICDOGG Members  1WRX Points: 0Posts: 1
    Joined:  #8
    Background

    17 Handicap - 101 mph Dr Swing Speed.



    Previous Ball:

    Bridgestone B330RX-S





    Driver (5 stars) : Shot dispersion is much improved. Ball flight definitely holds the line longer before drawing/fading in. Distance is a bit longer than B330RX-S, but minimal. I attribute to less L/R movement while in air.



    Irons (5 stars): Balls come out HOT. trajectory is low and piercing. Draw rollout is good. Fades definitely stop sooner than the Bridgestones.



    Wedges (4 stars): Feel is excellent. I was very confident in attacking pins of tight and dry lies. Spin result very similar to bridgestones. low trajectory hop-n-check was very predictable. 3/4 swing high pitches resulted in 2-5 feel rollback. Played a few rounds with wet grass and rollout from rough is ~10%-15% shorter than bridgestones.



    Putter (3 stars): Scotty Cameron Studio Select. The ball feel off the putter face makes me cringe. It literally feels like I'm putting a dead ball. Being this is my second box. I am getting used to the distance control of these balls. but the feel of every put just feels like it has no chance.



    Durability (3 stars): There is none. These things shred so quickly. Not much to say. I clean the peeling outer layer. performance doesnt appear to be affected. just Higher frequency than normal in maintaining the surface as close to round as possible.





    Conclusion (4 stars): this is a toughy. This is my second box. I was so turned off by the putter i said I was never going to play them again. However I ended up buying a box on a whim just to see if anything was different.

    The ball from tee to green performs beautifully. Definitely have confidence in executing any shot that i'm trying to hit. My propensity on mis-hits is a slice, and with these balls they definitely do not turn as far as they used to. draws with driver definitely less lateral movement in the air with what appears to be more roll.



    Overall great ball. Predictable and workable.

    My only problem with this ball is that feel off the putter.
    Posted:
  • PGA_09PGA_09 Members  665WRX Points: 0Posts: 665
    Joined:  #9
    I really was impressed with this ball. I have played the lower spinning version of most other golf balls, but I really preferred the feel of the 20XI-S versus the 20XI-X. The feel at impact was much softer with the S and the ball flight was perfect for me. I found the ball to be very durable as well, great spin off of the wedges without leaving any scuff marks.
    Posted:
    BB Alpha 815 DBD Project X Handcrafted LZ
    BB Alpha 815 3/5 Wood Project X Handcrafted LZ
    Apex UT 21° & 24° Nippon Modus 130
    Apex MB 5-PW Nippon Modus 130
    MD2 PM Grind 56°/60° Nippon Modus 130
    Odyssey ProType iX #9
    WITB Link
  • ocu_canadianocu_canadian Members  215WRX Points: 0Posts: 215
    Joined:  #10
    I love both the 20Xi balls. Nike knocked one out of the park with these. I will be looking to find a sick deal on them and stock up on them
    Posted:
  • ClarkClark Members  520WRX Points: 0Posts: 520
    Joined:  #11
    Ball flies much longer than any on the market
    Posted:
  • TayzerTayzer Members  359WRX Points: 0Posts: 359
    Joined:  #12
    brooktini wrote:


    My buddy's dad won a dozen of these is a tournament. He gave me 2 sleeves to try and and tell him what I thought, I loved the feel off my irons and wedges great spin. The only downside was I had to change balls every two holes because my wedges were ripping the cover.




    Use conforming wedges

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • whatswrong11whatswrong11 Members  80WRX Points: 30Handicap: 17Posts: 80 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Jul 18, 2012 #13
    "Conclusion



    Nike hit the mark with the 20XI-S....I like it! image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' /> I know there will come a day soon when the Tour D will disappear, but at least I know I've found a good replacement in the 20XI-S. I could play either ball and be happy.



    I also reviewed the Nike 20XI-X here: http://www.golfwrx.c...24-nike-20xi-x/





    Thanks for looking!

    Kevin"



    Thanks for comparing them agains the Tour D, nobody seems to mention that.
    Posted:
  • ladahlladahl Members  6907WRX Points: 148Handicap: 6.8Posts: 6,907 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14
    tpariff wrote:


    Before I get into the review on this ball, let me give you a little background. I'm a 6 handicap with a driver swing speed of ~ 105 mph with a pretty quick tempo. I'd probably be considered more of a hitter than a swinger.



    For the last year I've been playing the Nike One Tour D almost exclusively so I have a great point of reference for comparing Nike tour level balls. I've also tried the Nike One Tour, but didn't really care for all the spin generated off the driver and irons.



    I tested both 20XI models (S & X) over the same weekend, head to head, where I alternated the two every 3 holes.



    Now for my review of the 20XI-S:





    Appearance



    Nice white color. Not quite as bright as the new Srixon line, but not quite as "dull" as the TM Penta or Titleist Pro V1. Graphics are subtle and well done.



    One thing I did notice right off the bat was the depth of the dimples compared to the Tour D. When I went to draw an alignment line on the 20XI-S it felt that the Sharpie hit small speed bumps along the way. It seems the dimples on this ball are a bit deeper than those on the Tour D.



    Packaging is OK. I've read some responses from WRX'ers that the boxes look cheap, like Top Flites or the like. I don't agree with that. I find the packaging a bit more flashy, but let's remember that it's JUST packaging. I'm more concerned with what's inside.





    Feel - Driver / Irons



    Between the S and X versions of this ball, the S felt more like the Tour D. The S definitely has more of a "click" sound at impact, but it doesn't feel hard like the X. With the One Tour series, the Tour was clearly softer than the Tour D. I'd say there is still that gap in feel, but it seems that the 20XI-S is more comparable to the Tour D in feel off long shots.





    Feel - Short Shots / Putter



    Again the S and Tour D feel very similar off short shots and the putter. The S does have more of a click off the putter than the Tour D, and less than the X, but overall it feels and sounds good. Spin around the green was absolutely amazing. I fully expected it would spin more than the Tour D on short shots and it delivered.



    I hit a couple of pitches / chips that stopped very quickly from suspect lies. Very nice!





    Distance



    Distance was virtually identical to the Tour D throughout the bag, and possibly a few yards longer. The S was a good 5-10 yards longer than the X, which seems strange considering the X is supposed to be the "distance" ball. I posted in my review of the X that perhaps I don't have the SS to make that ball work for me, so that could be the reason why the S performed better than the X in the distance category.



    Compared to the One Tour, the S is quite a bit longer for me.





    Spin



    The S has spin to spare, but there's no overkill in the spin category off the driver like I found with the One Tour. While I did not see the benefit of the resin core in the 20XI-X, I can definitely see it in the S version. Driver spin is minimized while short iron spin is maximized. A+ for achieving that goal.



    In my opinion the S and Tour D have comparable amounts of spin on longer shots, but the S has quite a bit more spin on shorter shots and around the green.





    Flight / Wind Performance



    There was no significant wind during my testing. The ball held its line well in what little wind I had over the weekend.



    I'm not a big "worker" of the ball, so this is not applicable.





    Durability



    Both the S and X are very durable. No issues here with shredding on full shots. Both are at least as durable as the Tour D.





    Conclusion



    Nike hit the mark with the 20XI-S....I like it! image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' /> I know there will come a day soon when the Tour D will disappear, but at least I know I've found a good replacement in the 20XI-S. I could play either ball and be happy.



    I also reviewed the Nike 20XI-X here: http://www.golfwrx.c...24-nike-20xi-x/





    Thanks for looking!

    Kevin




    Great review! I always gamed the Tour D, as well. Sadly, I bought a bunch of X's (figuring this would be the replacement), but will now buy more S's.



    I love these balls too (both S and X)
    Posted:
    PXG 0811 XF Veylix Alpina 673
    '16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 
    Callaway Epic #3H KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311X Black #4 KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S
    SM8 Jet Black 50* ; SM7 Jet Black 54* & 58* TT DG TI Onyx S400
    Odyssey Stroke Lab TEN S

    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag
  • chadhayes11chadhayes11 Members  167WRX Points: 50Posts: 167 Fairways
    Joined:  #15
    For everyone that likes these rock bottom golf has them for 17.99 a dozen!!!! Just got 6 doz in the mail today and can't wait to hit them!
    Posted:
  • Justin_650Justin_650 Members  83WRX Points: 22Handicap: 10Posts: 83 Fairways
    Joined:  #16
    is there a market/demand for these balls?
    Posted:
  • PhilfilPhilfil Members  720WRX Points: 68Posts: 720 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #17
    Justin_650 wrote:


    is there a market/demand for these balls?




    Given that this thread is 6 years old, I'd roll the dice on a big no...
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.