Stricker: I want Tiger

Steve Hennessey

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314084202' post='3511937']
Another interesting point is that things have gotten so bad for Woods, an argument can't even be made based on his play. Now, the best argument a person can make is either about what Woods did years ago or how he gets TV ratings as if golf had turned into Pro Wrestling. What a sad state of affairs.
[/quote]

Yeaaaaa..... he did only play in 8 PGA Tour events in 2011 and only 3 since April. Word on the street is that he didn't play due to (get this) AN INJURY!!!
It amazes me how you dismiss that fact and post as if he's played all year long.

I'm still waiting to see a Tiger thread where you call it down the middle.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an opinion on Woods one way or the other, but this constant babble about him in the President's Cup is getting to be to much.

One of the things that's hilarious about the Tiger Woods apologist is the duality they display in their posts. Without naming names, I remember some of you here VERY clearly having a cow about Michelle Wie playing in men's events. How she was "stealing" a spot from a more deserving player, how she didn't belong there based on talent and how it was just a marketing move. How it was only done for ratings. Yet now when it's "your Tiger," in question, my how the tide turns. True there is a difference between the President's Cup and a tour event, but the spirit of the discussion is virtually the same.
Another interesting point is that things have gotten so bad for Woods, an argument can't even be made based on his play. Now, the best argument a person can make is either about what Woods did years ago or how he gets TV ratings as if golf had turned into Pro Wrestling. What a sad state of affairs.

Personally, I can't wait and I desperately hope he plays. I can't wait to see him get absolutely destroyed by whoever he plays. He can hide behind Stricker all he wants, sooner or later he's going to have to play singles and seeing the inevitable trashing that Scott or anyone else will give him is going to be fabulous. If he is paired against Scott especially with Stevie on the bag, don't be surprised to see the crowd openly booing him.
[/quote]

Well said. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Remember in the good old days, when it was all about performance on the course? Didn't matter what he did off the course, just what he did on it. Now the standards seemed to have been lowered a bit since what he now does on the course is completely forgettable. Now it's all about the good of the sport, the health of viewership, the well being of the game. Such givers now. Tiger can offer nothing in the form of good play, but he can bring eyes to the party - what else can be asked of a captain's pick? Remember all his old press conferences when he said "It's not about winning or playing well, I'm just glad that people tune in"?

Is this really what a certain fan base has been reduced to? He [b]deserves[/b] it because of a car crash type draw for TV viewership? If past history of great play and current "popularity" are the new benchmarks, then what about Watson (Tom) or Jack (the actual greatest player to ever play)? I'm amazed at the reasons given to justify the uncanny want to see one man play bad golf. AND to have more people watch it.

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314095911' post='3512012']

Yeaaaaa..... he did only play in 8 PGA Tour events in 2011 and only 3 since April. Word on the street is that he didn't play due to (get this) AN INJURY!!!
It amazes me how you dismiss that fact and post as if he's played all year long.

[/quote]

I can only go by what Woods himself has said. Before the Firestone he told us all he was 100% healthy, we all remember his performance there right?
Do you remember his next start at the PGA? Again, he told us he was completely healthy so I'm sorry my friend your tired old excuse won't work this time, please try again.

Also, I always call it down the middle. When Woods actually plays well again or does something admirable I will be the first to praise it. Sadly we haven't seen anything in this regard for over 3 years.

So were judging a career with 71 PGA Tour wins and 14 Major titles based on 2 starts after taking a 3 month break from golf due to an injury?
I respect your opposing point of view but you can't be serious here.

Tiger hasn't done anything of note since 8/23/2008? Winning 6 times in 2009 doesn't get merit in your opinion? That doesn't seem down the middle to me. I'm just saying....
'

Well don't get this twisted, I WANT him to play. Heck, I can't wait. Seeing Adam destroy him will be the final nail in the coffin of the Woods apologists...
Woods knows that he will have to win on the continent of Australia or lose the war of public opinion forever. If Scott can stand up to him, the PGA tour and all of golf can move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.
I hope that the fans of Woods brace themselves, for even if the PGA lasts another thousand years, the defeat of Woods at Australia will be our finest hour.

[quote name='mgranato' timestamp='1314098400' post='3512030']
I don't have an opinion on Woods one way or the other, but this constant babble about him in the President's Cup is getting to be to much.

One of the things that's hilarious about the Tiger Woods apologist is the duality they display in their posts. Without naming names, I remember some of you here VERY clearly having a cow about Michelle Wie playing in men's events. How she was "stealing" a spot from a more deserving player, how she didn't belong there based on talent and how it was just a marketing move. How it was only done for ratings. Yet now when it's "your Tiger," in question, my how the tide turns. True there is a difference between the President's Cup and a tour event, but the spirit of the discussion is virtually the same.
Another interesting point is that things have gotten so bad for Woods, an argument can't even be made based on his play. Now, the best argument a person can make is either about what Woods did years ago or how [b]he gets TV ratings[/b] as if golf had turned into Pro Wrestling. What a sad state of affairs.

[b]Personally, I can't wait and I desperately hope he plays. I can't wait to see him get absolutely destroyed by whoever he plays.[/b] [b]He can hide behind Stricker all he wants, sooner or later he's going to have to play singles and seeing the inevitable trashing that Scott or anyone else will give him is going to be fabulous. If he is paired against Scott especially with Stevie on the bag, don't be surprised to see the crowd openly booing him.[/b]
[/quote]

Remember in the good old days, when it was all about performance on the course? Didn't matter what he did off the course, just what he did on it. Now the standards seemed to have been lowered a bit since what he now does on the course is completely forgettable. [b]Now it's all about the good of the sport, the health of viewership, the well being of the game. Such givers now. Tiger can offer nothing in the form of good play, but he can bring eyes to the party - what else can be asked of a captain's pick? [/b] Remember all his old press conferences when he said "It's not about winning or playing well, I'm just glad that people tune in"?

Is this really what a certain fan base has been reduced to? He [b]deserves[/b] it because of a car crash type draw for TV viewership? If past history of great play and current "popularity" are the new benchmarks, then what about Watson (Tom) or Jack (the actual greatest player to ever play)? [b]I'm amazed at the reasons given to justify the uncanny want to see one man play bad golf. AND to have more people watch it.[/b]
[/quote]

Gentlemen...I really do like what you have said where I put in bold. Why? Well you are obviously well aware that [b]at this moment in time[/b] Tiger will have a positive effect on TV ratings for the Presidents Cup, or any other tournament for that matter, [b]regardless of the state of his game[/b]. I for one AM NOT a proponent of putting him on the team solely for ratings. I want the USA to win and Tiger is not playing good enough. However, whether we like it or not, where Tiger is concerned this is a component that MUST be considered by Fred Couples. There is no denying that. If it was simply about winning and TV ratings had nothing to do with it, Couples would just come out and say that based on his play right now Tiger would most likely not be on the team unless he dramatically turns it around..but he has said nothing even remotely close to that. He has said quite the opposite in fact..basically saying in not so may words that he wants Tiger on the team. I say that to say this...I dont feel, at least from my perspective, that people are saying or agreeing that he should be on the team solely for TV ratings. We have all seen the state of his game. No rational fan would agree that his golf right now should put him on the team. What I am saying is the reality of the situation is what it is...TV ratings are a huge factor, one which Fred Couples is well aware, and will play a large part in the decision. There is no getting around that fact. In fact, TDO himself said "Personally, I cant wait and desperately hope he plays". This is EXACTLY the reason why TV ratings matter in this decision. No matter how he is playing you still want to tune in to see what he is going to do..good or bad. Now in the case of TDO, he probably would have been tuned in regardless, but having Tiger compels many many others to tune in who otherwise may not have. So you have all those additional people tune in and you eventually end up with what? A bottom line that because of increased TV viewership is significantly higher than it otherwise would have been without Tiger. :rolleyes:

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1314105274' post='3512238']
[quote name='mgranato' timestamp='1314098400' post='3512030']

Remember in the good old days, when it was all about performance on the course? Didn't matter what he did off the course, just what he did on it. Now the standards seemed to have been lowered a bit since what he now does on the course is completely forgettable. [b]Now it's all about the good of the sport, the health of viewership, the well being of the game. Such givers now. Tiger can offer nothing in the form of good play, but he can bring eyes to the party - what else can be asked of a captain's pick? [/b]Remember all his old press conferences when he said "It's not about winning or playing well, I'm just glad that people tune in"?

Is this really what a certain fan base has been reduced to? He [b]deserves[/b] it because of a car crash type draw for TV viewership? If past history of great play and current "popularity" are the new benchmarks, then what about Watson (Tom) or Jack (the actual greatest player to ever play)? [b]I'm amazed at the reasons given to justify the uncanny want to see one man play bad golf. AND to have more people watch it.[/b]
[/quote]

Gentlemen...I really do like what you have said where I put in bold. Why? Well you are obviously well aware that [b]at this moment in time[/b] Tiger will have a positive effect on TV ratings for the Presidents Cup, or any other tournament for that matter, [b]regardless of the state of his game[/b]. I for one AM NOT a proponent of putting him on the team solely for ratings. I want the USA to win and Tiger is not playing good enough. However, whether we like it or not, where Tiger is concerned this is a component that MUST be considered by Fred Couples. There is no denying that. If it was simply about winning and TV ratings had nothing to do with it, Couples would just come out and say that based on his play right now Tiger would most likely not be on the team unless he dramatically turns it around..but he has said nothing even remotely close to that. He has said quite the opposite in fact..basically saying in not so may words that he wants Tiger on the team. I say that to say this...I dont feel, at least from my perspective, that people are saying or agreeing that he should be on the team solely for TV ratings. We have all seen the state of his game. No rational fan would agree that his golf right now should put him on the team. What I am saying is the reality of the situation is what it is...TV ratings are a huge factor, one which Fred Couples is well aware, and will play a large part in the decision. There is no getting around that fact. In fact, TDO himself said "Personally, I cant wait and desperately hope he plays". This is EXACTLY the reason why TV ratings matter in this decision. No matter how he is playing you still want to tune in to see what he is going to do..good or bad. Now in the case of TDO, he probably would have been tuned in regardless, but having Tiger compels many many others to tune in who otherwise may not have. So you have all those additional people tune in and you eventually end up with what? A bottom line that because of increased TV viewership is significantly higher than it otherwise would have been without Tiger. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Very good post as always sir, without a doubt you are the classiest poster here. I like how you call me TDO, it has a nice ring to it.
I just wish Woods would get back to normal. there's just no sport in commentating on him when he's like this. Maybe this will be where he turns it around, who knows.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314101805' post='3512110']

[/quote]

I can only go by what Woods himself has said. Before the Firestone he told us all he was 100% healthy, we all remember his performance there right?
Do you remember his next start at the PGA? Again, he told us he was completely healthy so I'm sorry my friend your tired old excuse won't work this time, please try again.

Also, I always call it down the middle. When Woods actually plays well again or does something admirable I will be the first to praise it. [b]Sadly we haven't seen anything in this regard for over 3 years.[/b]
[/quote]

2009 he only won 6 times. Sadly this fact has been pointed out to you in remarks to other posts you've made but for some unknown reason you continue to spew. I'm not going to evaluate the times he shows up for an event and says he is healthy. When he shows up and says that he feels comfortable and confident with his swing and then performs as he has then your posts will have some merit, until then we'll all just enjoy you consistently calling down the middle. The only question is...the middle of what?

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314102651' post='3512137']
So were judging a career with 71 PGA Tour wins and 14 Major titles based on 2 starts after taking a 3 month break from golf due to an injury?

Tiger hasn't done anything of note since 8/23/2008? Winning 6 times in 2009 doesn't get merit in your opinion? That doesn't seem down the middle to me. I'm just saying....
'
[/quote]

We are talking about 2011 though, right? Hell put Jack out there, he's got 18 majors.
Basically Freddie can't win I think.
Pick Tiger, and if he plays poorly it does not bode well well for those involved
Don't pick Tiger and he'll get ridiculed for not picking him and no one will watch.

Monty left several big names off his Ryder cup squad..much to the chagrin of some European Golf fans...and players...
But you know what? THEY WON.

Personally, from a golf perspective. I don't think Tiger gives us the best chance of winning. Yes I know his career numbers, but in the now...objectively...it just isn't there.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I see both sides of the coin. Obviously, without Tiger there are half as many people going to watch. On the other hand, what message does it send to the guys on the bubble?

Yes, you are playing really well right now **insert any half dozen names**, but see we are going to pick Tiger, he played really really well for a long time. What, you mean he hasn;t done anything in 2.5 years? But what about the money we will lose without him there. And therein lies the answer, as with everything in life.....FOLLOW THE MONEY

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1314107707' post='3512346']
[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314102651' post='3512137']

'
[/quote]

We are talking about 2011 though, right? Hell put Jack out there, he's got 18 majors.
Basically Freddie can't win I think.
Pick Tiger, and if he plays poorly it does not bode well well for those involved
Don't pick Tiger and he'll get ridiculed for not picking him and no one will watch.

Monty left several big names off his Ryder cup squad..much to the chagrin of some European Golf fans...and players...
But you know what? THEY WON.

Personally, from a golf perspective. I don't think Tiger gives us the best chance of winning. Yes I know his career numbers, but in the now...objectively...it just isn't there.
[/quote]

Very good post and of course you are right.
have you noticed that the Woods fans here are referencing 2009, I mean wow. people are actually talking about his record from 2009 as justification for him participating in an event in 2011. That's just sad.
I will admit it's hard to believe that Woods hasn't won a Major for 3 years. It's hard to believe it's been that long.

[quote name='Bellyhungry' timestamp='1314105671' post='3512255']
I am sensing a lot of desperation from the hate camp...
[/quote]

And from those with the Tiger man-crush as well.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

[/quote]

[/quote]

That same argument can be made against your argument to put him on the team. He has only played a handful of events since the qualifying began and has shown no form worthy of being selected otherwise. You could say that he won an event, The JBWere Masters, but I would say it was a mediocre field.

[quote name='jastac' timestamp='1314099637' post='3512056']
This is the Tiger stricker is talking about!
[/quote]

"Thriller" Tiger??

I understand the people saying that Tiger shouldn't be on the team because of his performance as of late, but he is playing in at least 3 "tournaments" before the Presidents Cup:

Notah Begay's Foundation Challenge (only a 1-day event but Tiger show us what he's got there)
HSBC-Champions in China
Australian Open

I strongly believe that his game will be better after those tournaments, but unfortunately I think the picks for the Presidents Cup need to be in before that...so it will be a tough call on Freddy's part.

If we are giving Tiger a spot because of who he is and how he " used to be #1 " then lets go ahead and give David Duval and VJ a spot on the team as well.

I would pick Keegan Bradley by a mile over Tiger right now, hell I'd pick Rickie Fowler over Tiger, he single handedly kept us in the Ryder Cup last year. Tiger is not even making cuts, I am not picking him. F the media and F what everyone else would think about my pick, you pick the best team, not beacause of who someone is, Freddy needs to grow a hairy sack, it disgusts me that they are picking "the boys club" over players who are performing better right now, while the PGA is worried about the growth of the game, end rant.

Edit: Sorry if I offended you Tiger fanboys lol

[quote name='gators78' timestamp='1314062008' post='3511167']
[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314059945' post='3511059']

God forbid they (the PGA) actually want people to care about a golf event in November that will be played while most will be asleep.
[/quote]

Ok, then pick Daly and Woods.
[/quote]

+1
Daly can do his tricks with teeing up beer cans. Actually Daly is trying to get his life together but it is probably too late for his golf game. Sad. I would say don't pick Phil except he finished second at The Open.

Pick guys who are playing well. Tiger finds every bunker lately. I have less respect for Stricker after this. Is it some sympathy pick?

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1314119641' post='3512968']
If we are giving Tiger a spot because of who he is and how he " used to be #1 " then lets go ahead and give David Duval and VJ a spot on the team as well.

I would pick Keegan Bradley by a mile over Tiger right now, hell I'd pick Rickie Fowler over Tiger, he single handedly kept us in the Ryder Cup last year. Tiger is not even making cuts, I am not picking him. F the media and F what everyone else would think about my pick, you pick the best team, not beacause of who someone is, Freddy needs to grow a hairy sack, it disgusts me that they are picking "the boys club" over players who are performing better right now, while the PGA is worried about the growth of the game, end rant.

[/quote]

+1
There are loads of young guys like Keegan, Rickie or Webb who are playing great golf. I agree about Rickie at the Ryder. Sure it is friendly competition but the last Ryder was a joke. They picked players who were playing badly and they gave them $2 rain gear. It was a fiasco but they had to have some favorites on the team. The Ryder USA foul up made Monty look like a genius.

If this President's Cup is some sort of Skins game with favorites or ex top players then invite Duval, Daly, Watson, Jack. Make it a nostagia captain's pick trip down memory lane.

The PGA, golf fans and some of Tiger's cronies are sounding more and more like idiots. Maybe they can get Corey Pavin's wife to do the outfits and rain gear again. Stricker and Couples are sounding like real tools.

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1314119641' post='3512968']

[/quote]

You're delusional. Lets take a look at Tiger's worst years 2010-2011. 85% of the cuts made. 12.6 was his average finish in majors with one missed cut. Tiger won 3 matches in the 2010 Ryder cup and lost 1.

Ricky Fowler in the same years. 75% of cuts made. 33.2 is his average in majors with one missed cut. He halved 2 matches in the 2010 Ryder Cup and lost 1.

Keagan Bradley has made 66% of his cuts this year. Hasn't played in any other majors or the Ryder Cup.

And Tiger is the one who can't make cuts? Ricky kept us in the Ryder Cut? What are you talking about?

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314059945' post='3511059']God forbid they (the PGA) actually want people to care about a golf event in November that will be played while most will be asleep.
[/quote]

sooooo he should be picked just to have people tune in?

Screw that... whatever happened to wanting to field a team that gives you the best chance of winning? And if that includes Tiger then do it. If that team would be better off without Tiger then leave him off. That and only that should be the criteria. Tiger did great at the Ryder cup, but he also played better last year in general

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Personally, I can't wait and I desperately hope he plays. [b]I can't wait to see him get absolutely destroyed by whoever he plays[/b]. He can hide behind Stricker all he wants, sooner or later he's going to have to play singles and seeing the inevitable trashing that Scott or anyone else will give him is going to be fabulous. If he is paired against Scott especially with Stevie on the bag, don't be surprised to see the crowd openly booing him.
[/quote]

I can't wait for him to rebound in 2012 and make you so upset. I wish it would happen sooner than later, but for now we have to deal with the golf fans who live off seeing him struggle.

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314117154' post='3512835']
TDO you are the ultimate word twister...the only reason I mentioned 2009 is to respond to your comment of Tiger not doing anything in over 3 years. Im done bickering with you.
[/quote]

He did that to me once and then included me in a blanket term 'tiger apologist'. Was heart breaking stuff.

Looks like he's continuing to do this.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon