Stricker: I want Tiger

Steve Hennessey

[quote name='tom93084' timestamp='1314121043' post='3513065']
[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1314119641' post='3512968']
If we are giving Tiger a spot because of who he is and how he " used to be #1 " then lets go ahead and give David Duval and VJ a spot on the team as well.

I would pick Keegan Bradley by a mile over Tiger right now, hell I'd pick Rickie Fowler over Tiger, he single handedly kept us in the Ryder Cup last year. Tiger is not even making cuts, I am not picking him. F the media and F what everyone else would think about my pick, you pick the best team, not beacause of who someone is, Freddy needs to grow a hairy sack, it disgusts me that they are picking "the boys club" over players who are performing better right now, while the PGA is worried about the growth of the game, end rant.

Edit: Sorry if I offended you Tiger fanboys lol
[/quote]

You're delusional. Lets take a look at Tiger's worst years 2010-2011. 85% of the cuts made. 12.6 was his average finish in majors with one missed cut. Tiger won 3 matches in the 2010 Ryder cup and lost 1.

Ricky Fowler in the same years. 75% of cuts made. 33.2 is his average in majors with one missed cut. He halved 2 matches in the 2010 Ryder Cup and lost 1.

Keagan Bradley has made 66% of his cuts this year. Hasn't played in any other majors or the Ryder Cup.

And Tiger is the one who can't make cuts? Ricky kept us in the Ryder Cut? What are you talking about?
[/quote]

ME? Rickie birdied the last four holes in a row to keep us alive in the Ryder Cup last year, he was the only one responsible for keep us in the cup in the late stages, which we only lost by ONE POINT, we did not get crushed, you're making no sense yourself.......

Down four to Italy's [url="http://golf.fanhouse.com/players/edoardo-molinari/2288"]Edoardo Molinari[/url] early in the back nine, Fowler birdied the final four holes to tie the match and keep America's hopes alive in the next-to-last group to finish.

"Rickie turning that match around, birdieing the last four, was awfully incredible and very impressive," [url="http://golf.fanhouse.com/players/tiger-woods/147"]Tiger Woods[/url] praised

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are giving Tiger a spot because of who he is and how he " used to be #1 " then lets go ahead and give David Duval and VJ a spot on the team as well.

I would pick Keegan Bradley by a mile over Tiger right now, hell I'd pick Rickie Fowler over Tiger, he single handedly kept us in the Ryder Cup last year. Tiger is not even making cuts, I am not picking him. F the media and F what everyone else would think about my pick, you pick the best team, not beacause of who someone is, Freddy needs to grow a hairy sack, it disgusts me that they are picking "the boys club" over players who are performing better right now, while the PGA is worried about the growth of the game, end rant.

[/quote]

WOW!!!!!
Best post I have seen here in weeks, man you really nailed it. Outstanding sir.

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1314121722' post='3513105']
[quote name='tom93084' timestamp='1314121043' post='3513065']

You're delusional. Lets take a look at Tiger's worst years 2010-2011. 85% of the cuts made. 12.6 was his average finish in majors with one missed cut. Tiger won 3 matches in the 2010 Ryder cup and lost 1.

Ricky Fowler in the same years. 75% of cuts made. 33.2 is his average in majors with one missed cut. He halved 2 matches in the 2010 Ryder Cup and lost 1.

Keagan Bradley has made 66% of his cuts this year. Hasn't played in any other majors or the Ryder Cup.

And Tiger is the one who can't make cuts? Ricky kept us in the Ryder Cut? What are you talking about?
[/quote]

ME? Rickie birdied the last four holes in a row to keep us alive in the Ryder Cup last year, he was the only one responsible for keep us in the cup in the late stages, which we only lost by ONE POINT, we did not get crushed, you're making no sense yourself.......

Down four to Italy's [url="http://golf.fanhouse.com/players/edoardo-molinari/2288"]Edoardo Molinari[/url] early in the back nine, Fowler birdied the final four holes to tie the match and keep America's hopes alive in the next-to-last group to finish.

"Rickie turning that match around, birdieing the last four, was awfully incredible and very impressive," [url="http://golf.fanhouse.com/players/tiger-woods/147"]Tiger Woods[/url] praised
[/quote]

If Ricky hadnt lost 2 of his matches before that the Americans would have been ahead. Duh! If he hadn't been down by 4 holes he could of won the match instead of just tying it...what's your point? Ricky can play very well for a few holes at a time? LOL And when did I say we got crushed? Oh yeah, I didn't. Your using a Tiger quote as evidence? Guess what? I bet Tiger thinks he's a better golfer then Ricky so according to your logic he is. LOL

Edit: Made a slight error...should read if ricky hadn't not won his other 2 matches...he half'ed one and lost the other.

Rickie Fowler scoring average this year - [b]70.47[/b] .....cuts made percentage [b]80%
-[/b]2nd place finish
- 4 top 10's
-28th in fedex cup ranking

Tiger Woods scoring aveage-[b] 71.05[/b] .........................cuts made percentage [b]75%
[/b]- 2 top 10's
- 132nd fedex cup ranking
-

Who are you picking today?

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1314121245' post='3513073']

I can't wait for him to rebound in 2012 and make you so upset. I wish it would happen sooner than later, but for now we have to deal with the golf fans who live off seeing him struggle.
[/quote]

There's no reason why we should be forced to watch Tiger miss a cut by a MILE while other players are going along well. There's just no need of it.

We have no choice but to watch him struggle, when he's struggling.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314121752' post='3513107']

[/quote]

WOW!!!!!
Best post I have seen here in weeks, man you really nailed it. Outstanding sir.
[/quote]

The childishly veiled expletives and subsequent over the top approval of same say a lot more about the two posters than anything related to the President's Cup.

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1314122622' post='3513140']
Rickie Fowler scoring average this year - [b]70.47[/b] .....cuts made percentage [b]80%
-[/b]2nd place finish
- 4 top 10's

Tiger Woods scoring aveage-[b] 71.05[/b] .........................cuts made percentage [b]75%
[/b]- 2 top 10's
-

[/quote]

Rickie Fowler Events: 20
Tiger Woods Events - 8

Answer: Neither.

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1314122622' post='3513140']
-[/b]2nd place finish
- 4 top 10's

[/b]- 2 top 10's
-

[/quote]

Lol, he's been injured most of this year. He had 2 top tens in 8 events. Ricky had 4 in 20 events. The fedex cup standing is also misleading for the same reasons. And for the scoring average...Ricky plays a lot of smaller events where the scoring tends to be lower.

Here's the sad truth that is displayed here quite often, and this isn't pointed at anyone specifically.
There is a small group of fanatical Woods fans who eventually end up outright attacking anyone here that ever offers an opinion about Woods they deem less than negative. Here we are, discussing the ridiculous notion that a player coming off his worst year ever as a Pro would laughably be added to a team that is allegedly supposed to represent the best America has to offer. This player lead the field in three putts at the Masters, displayed the worst exhibition with a driver I or anyone has probably ever seen from a Pro at the Firestone, and then completely embarrassed himself at the years last Major by putting up a score that was equal parts horrific and pathetic.
Their argument is that it's ok because people will tune in to see him. Even if it's obvious to all who still have their sanity that he will be emasculated publicly...again. The reasons are because of money, ratings, his record in 2009, and my new favorite, because he's playing in a one day scramble with his friend Begay and that will be his tune up. Have some of you completely lost it? Do you not see that even the majority of the Woods fans still left are even against this. Even they can see that the open spots should go to guys who have EARNED it and not some broke down old player who has ONE round in the last six that was under par. All that is excusable because he's playing in a one round charity scramble? Are you kidding me???

I honestly no longer believe some of you are even for real. I think you say these things about Woods to just get a reaction out of the few people left here like myself that take these forums seriously.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314123329' post='3513182']
Here's the sad truth that is displayed here quite often, and this isn't pointed at anyone specifically.
There is a small group of fanatical Woods fans who eventually end up outright attacking anyone here that ever offers an opinion about Woods they deem less than negative. Here we are, discussing the ridiculous notion that a player coming off his worst year ever as a Pro would laughably be added to a team that is allegedly supposed to represent the best America has to offer. This player lead the field in three putts at the Masters, displayed the worst exhibition with a driver I or anyone has probably ever seen from a Pro at the Firestone, and then completely embarrassed himself at the years last Major by putting up a score that was equal parts horrific and pathetic.
Their argument is that it's ok because people will tune in to see him. Even if it's obvious to all who still have their sanity that he will be emasculated publicly...again. The reasons are because of money, ratings, his record in 2009, and my new favorite, because he's playing in a one day scramble with his friend Begay and that will be his tune up. Have some of you completely lost it? Do you not see that even the majority of the Woods fans still left are even against this. Even they can see that the open spots should go to guys who have EARNED it and not some broke down old player who has ONE round in the last six that was under par. All that is excusable because he's playing in a one round charity scramble? Are you kidding me???

I honestly no longer believe some of you are even for real. I think you say these things about Woods to just get a reaction out of the few people left here like myself that take these forums seriously.
[/quote]

+10000000000

People argue on here just for the sake of arguing, I feel like I am losing my mind reading some responses on here at times, but I continue to reply to show true golf fans estill exist. I'm glad people like The Dark One exist and still post like me! :good:

There is a small group of fanatical Woods fans who eventually end up outright attacking anyone here that ever offers an opinion about Woods they deem less than negative. Here we are, discussing the ridiculous notion that a player coming off his worst year ever as a Pro would laughably be added to a team that is allegedly supposed to represent the best America has to offer. [b]This player lead the field in three putts at the Masters[/b], displayed the worst exhibition with a driver I or anyone has probably ever seen from a Pro at the Firestone, and then completely embarrassed himself at the years last Major by putting up a score that was equal parts horrific and pathetic.

[/quote]

You consistently bring up the fact that Tiger led the Masters in 3 putts and that is true. What is also true is that he finished 4th, ahead of Rory, Rickie, and Luke Donald, the #1 player in the world. Not to mention he had the highest finish of any American player. I'm curious why you think it helps your anti-tiger stance. If you think about it, it make Tiger look better.

To get back on topic, I don't think Tiger should be picked for the team. There is no way that Tiger, in his current form, gives the American team the best chance to win.

[b]Their argument is that it's ok because people will tune in to see him.[/b] Even if it's obvious to all who still have their sanity that he will be emasculated publicly...again. The reasons are because of money, ratings, his record in 2009, and my new favorite, because he's playing in a one day scramble with his friend Begay and that will be his tune up. Have some of you completely lost it? Do you not see that even the majority of the Woods fans still left are even against this. Even they can see that the open spots should go to guys who have EARNED it and not some broke down old player who has ONE round in the last six that was under par. All that is excusable because he's playing in a one round charity scramble? Are you kidding me???

[/quote]

TDO my man...its far from ok but the fact is, it is what it is. And this is not a fact that has been put in place by Tiger fans. Its not our decision to make and its not us who have established the fact that the TV rating situation carry the weight that it does. Sponsors have established that..TV networks have established that..the media has established that..the PGA Tour itself has established that. By pointing it out, at least in my case, does not mean that its ok or an excuse to put Tiger on the team. Frankly, as I said before, the guy sucks right now and his play does not warrent him being on the team. But unfortunately in this case, his play is not all that matters. Thats just how it is. And honestly, it could be anyone..pick your player..Phil Mickelson. If Phil, with his all American good guy-ness, was the one who could draw the TV audiences like that and he was in the middle of a career worst slump, he would be getting the same consideration for being on the team because of TV ratings. So lets not blame it on the TW fans or say its an excuse. Call it an excuse if you want, but in reality what it is is a fact. If it wasnt a fact, then how come Fred Couples has not said that Tiger is not playing well enough to be on the team? How come Fred Couples said he wants Tiger on the team but he needs to play more...not that he needs to play better..he just needs to play more. How come Fred Couples said this "it would be good for the Presidents Cup if Tiger is on the team"? You and I both know what that means. If Tiger shows any form at all in these upcoming tournaments, he is going to be picked. And if he is, we will all know that it has absolutely nothing to do with his golf and that TV ratings and money are the driving factors. And at that point, I dont ever want to see another person on this board make a post contradicting Tigers financial impact on the game...EVER!

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1314119513' post='3512960']
I understand the people saying that Tiger shouldn't be on the team because of his performance as of late, but he is playing in at least 3 "tournaments" before the Presidents Cup:

Notah Begay's Foundation Challenge (only a 1-day event but Tiger show us what he's got there)
HSBC-Champions in China
Australian Open

I strongly believe that his game will be better after those tournaments, but unfortunately I think the picks for the Presidents Cup need to be in before that...so it will be a tough call on Freddy's part.
[/quote]

Pump the brakes...

The Notah event is a one day hit-n-giggle. We'll know nothing about Tiger after that as it relates to real tournament golf.

He failed to qualify for the HSBC, so that's a non issue.

The Aussie Open, that's it. Stinks it up again, or not - that's his prep for the Cup.

No back-to-back rounds in the 60's since January. No back-to-back rounds under par since March.

[quote name='mgranato' timestamp='1314130439' post='3513506']
Pump the brakes...

The Notah event is a one day hit-n-giggle. We'll know nothing about Tiger after that as it relates to real tournament golf.

He failed to qualify for the HSBC, so that's a non issue.

The Aussie Open, that's it. Stinks it up again, or not - that's his prep for the Cup.

[b]No back-to-back rounds in the 60's since January. No back-to-back rounds under par since March.[/b]
[/quote]
It's only been 16 and 14 rounds respectively, though. But the issue is he's trending in the wrong direction

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='mgranato' timestamp='1314130439' post='3513506']
[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1314119513' post='3512960']
I understand the people saying that Tiger shouldn't be on the team because of his performance as of late, but he is playing in at least 3 "tournaments" before the Presidents Cup:

Notah Begay's Foundation Challenge (only a 1-day event but Tiger show us what he's got there)
HSBC-Champions in China
Australian Open

I strongly believe that his game will be better after those tournaments, but unfortunately I think the picks for the Presidents Cup need to be in before that...so it will be a tough call on Freddy's part.
[/quote]

Pump the brakes...

[b]He failed to qualify for the HSBC, so that's a non issue.[/b]

No back-to-back rounds in the 60's since January. No back-to-back rounds under par since March.
[/quote]

In this article it says he is likely to play in the HSBC-Champions, at the end of the 3rd paragraph:
[url="http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/08/tiger-wants-spot-on-prez-cup-team-might-add-tour-event.html"]http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/08/tiger-wants-spot-on-prez-cup-team-might-add-tour-event.html[/url]

But you are correct, he has not qualified for the event:
[url="http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/r489/qualify/"]http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/r489/qualify/[/url]

Someone made a mistake in that article on Golf.com, unless he really thinks Tiger is going to win a Fall Series event.

Well, Sticks, you are gonna get your wish. No way Tiger will not be on this team.

And hey, the haters may have something to look forward to . . . . Tiger getting beat.

Or not.

Either way, it will be more interesting with Tiger down unda, than in FL in November . . . . . course if it was a couple of November's ago . . . .

The other thing is, Stricker may become a monster with Tiger on his team. That happens with some partnerships.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

If Tiger's picked, the President's Cup has lost all credibility.
May as well call it "The Team Skins Game'.

After watching the PGA, Tiger's bad shots were never as bad as it was there. That was his forte. Even when he was playing average, he still stayed away from doubles or worse. Even during the other swing change times, his bad was never that bad. He seems lost with his swing right now.

You claiming you
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314084202' post='3511937']
don't have an opinion on Woods one way or the other
[/quote]

is like Fox new and MSNBC claiming that they are 'fair and balanced'. There is not a single Tiger Woods related post where you have not offered your 'unbiased' opinion.

At least be man enough to admit that you hate the guy.

I honestly wonder if Couples (when he made his original statement about Woods being on the team) and Tiger himself (when he booked the Australia tourney) ever thought that they would lose the crowd they way they have. I'm sure they both thought..."Hey, Woods is on the team, bidness as usual."
I don't think Couples, Woods, the PGA, or anyone else dreamed there would be the public backlash that has happened and I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Couples is back tracking as well as Woods, both amending there original stance to now make it seem like it's not a done deal. Listening to the golf channel on XM radio today, 99% of the callers were ripping Fred for giving a spot to Woods without earning it. They have criticized the decision on the golf channel. Look no further than here, the majority of people do believe he will play, but feel it's a fraud.
Slowly but surely, day by day, Woods loses fans....and he's not gaining them back. Look what you see here everyday. When Woods was destroyed by YE Yang I boldly predicted Woods wouldn't win another Major, ever. I was laughed off the site and people used my quote about that as their signature they thought it was so ridiculous. Well we all know what happened from there. I have to share with all of you that it's surreal for me to read these forums today and see a MAJORITY of the posters are now firmly against Woods in every aspect. His fans are now a minority. It's unreal. I would also argue that this mindset is shared across America and the globe.

I don't think the PGA and Couples have yet caught on, but they will soon enough. If/when he makes the team and plays, I hope for his sake he does well, if not this could be the end to Woods once and for all. He will come off as a jerk who took another players spot and did nothing once he got it. Look for people to say he didn't take it seriously and didn't practice enough, and embarrassed not only himself by the entire country.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314137890' post='3513857']
Slowly but surely, day by day, Woods loses fans....and he's not gaining them back. Look what you see here everyday. [b]When Woods was destroyed by YE Yang I boldly predicted Woods wouldn't win another Major, ever. I was laughed off the site and people used my quote about that as their signature they thought it was so ridiculous. [/b]Well we all know what happened from there. I have to share with all of you that it's surreal for me to read these forums today and see a MAJORITY of the posters are now firmly against Woods in every aspect. [b]His fans are now a minority. It's unreal. I would also argue that this mindset is shared across America and the globe. [/b]

I don't think the PGA and Couples have yet caught on, but they will soon enough. If/when he makes the team and plays, I hope for his sake he does well, if not this could be the end to Woods once and for all. He will come off as a jerk who took another players spot and did nothing once he got it. Look for people to say he didn't take it seriously and didn't practice enough, and embarrassed not only himself by the entire country.
[/quote]

Lucky guess. You didn't know about Woods' affairs. If they never came out, I am sure he would have won another one by now. And you act like you're guaranteed to be correct. As far as I know, Tiger has not retired yet. And if he hasn't retired, he can still win another major.

As for the fans, maybe on [b][u]here[/u][/b] the Tiger fans are a minority, but you are [u]absolutely 100% wrong[/u] about it being the same in the rest of the U.S. and around the globe. I came across a poll about a month ago on ESPN.com asking "What is your rooting interest for Tiger Woods?" and over 70% of the people chose "Rooting for him" and less than 25% against him. Unfortunately ESPN removes the polls after a few weeks so I no longer have a link to it. [b]Most[/b] of his fans before the scandal are still fans; the haters have just become more visible. In reality, there are still more Tiger fans than haters, and that's a fact.

Back to reality, there is no great backlash regarding the President's Cup and Tiger isn't at all lacking in fan support. All the shouting, inappropriate comments, accusations won't change the facts.

Last I checked, it is still August. Cup is in November. Almost three full months of golf to go. Tiger will play some, time will tell.

Comical that people that couldn't give a rip about this event are going nuts about whether Woods MIGHT SOMEDAY get picked.

[quote name='hacker_khan' timestamp='1314136173' post='3513783']
You claiming you
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314084202' post='3511937']
don't have an opinion on Woods one way or the other
[/quote]

is like Fox new and MSNBC claiming that they are 'fair and balanced'. There is not a single Tiger Woods related post where you have not offered your 'unbiased' opinion.

At least be man enough to admit that you hate the guy.
[/quote]

I swear to you that I was thinking of posting this exact thing earlier today!!!! I LOVE IT!!!:friends::drinks:

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1314138906' post='3513899']

As for the fans, maybe on [b][u]here[/u][/b] the Tiger fans are a minority, but you are [u]absolutely 100% wrong[/u] about it being the same in the rest of the U.S. and around the globe. I came across a poll about a month ago on ESPN.com asking "What is your rooting interest for Tiger Woods?" and over 70% of the people chose "Rooting for him" and less than 25% against him. Unfortunately ESPN removes the polls after a few weeks so I no longer have a link to it. [b]Most[/b] of his fans before the scandal are still fans; the haters have just become more visible. In reality, there are still more Tiger fans than haters, and that's a fact.

[/quote]

I'm sure you're an alright dude and all, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you...

But ESPN "polls" don't lend much credibilty to the argument. And quite frankly I'm not shocked one bit that 75% of ESPN viewers are Tiger fans. 90% the golf they show on that abortion of a "Sports Network" is Tiger clips, and Tiger news. I would be astounded if half of their viewers could name any golfer not named Tiger, Phil, Rory or Rickie

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='TP Ghosted' timestamp='1314102651' post='3512137']
So were judging a career with 71 PGA Tour wins and 14 Major titles based on 2 starts after taking a 3 month break from golf due to an injury?
I respect your opposing point of view but you can't be serious here.

Tiger hasn't done anything of note since 8/23/2008? Winning 6 times in 2009 doesn't get merit in your opinion? That doesn't seem down the middle to me. I'm just saying....
'
[/quote]

Nobody is judging his career, simply debating whether his play THIS YEAR merits an invite to play in the presidents cup. Don't be so touchy. I would rather see a good golf competition and based on play, I don't think tiger makes the team stronger.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1314121016' post='3513061']
+1
There are loads of young guys like Keegan, Rickie or Webb who are playing great golf. I agree about Rickie at the Ryder. Sure it is friendly competition but the last Ryder was a joke. They picked players who were playing badly and they gave them $2 rain gear. It was a fiasco but they had to have some favorites on the team. The Ryder USA foul up made Monty look like a genius.

If this President's Cup is some sort of Skins game with favorites or ex top players then invite Duval, Daly, Watson, Jack. Make it a nostagia captain's pick trip down memory lane.

The PGA, golf fans and some of Tiger's cronies are sounding more and more like idiots. Maybe they can get Corey Pavin's wife to do the outfits and rain gear again. Stricker and Couples are sounding like real tools.
[/quote]

[size="2"][quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1314107984' post='3512363']
Very good post and of course you are right.
have you noticed that the Woods fans here are referencing 2009, I mean wow. people are actually talking about his record from 2009 as justification for him participating in an event in 2011. That's just sad.
I will admit it's hard to believe that Woods hasn't won a Major for 3 years. It's hard to believe it's been that long.
[/quote]

[/size]

First of all I don't think Tiger should be on the team. I don't think his recent play warrants a spot.

Having said that i think some people are clearly underestimating him. Tiger certainly has his share of faults but having followed him since his am days I 've never seen him act self delusional about his game. If anything he is the opposit, extremely self critical. If he says his game is coming around then i am not going to doubt him.

Watching his interviews at the PGA i dont think his game is as much of a lost cause as some here would like to believe.