Nike SQ is coming and it could be the one

gearhead

The thought of the new Nike SQ drivers are haunting me in my dreams. I am becoming increasing aware of the potential in this head. USGA responds to the head. Then I read this article after KJ wins using it. From golftoday magazine on the Nike SQ...

Nike Buys into the Game

By the time you read this, you will have heard the drumbeat for the new Nike driver -- code named “Sasquatch” (SQ). It will come with a distinctive yellow swatch on the soleplate, presumably so it shows up better on television. Always competitive, Nike is pricing the SQ at $299. It will be advertised as coming with a Mitsubishi Diamana as its stock shaft. With Diamanas selling north of $300 all summer and Tiger leading a who’s who of PGA Tour players with a Diamanas in their bag, the deal is going to look too good to be true. It might be.

The Nike Diamana shaft is a cheaper version of the high end Diamana. Nike laid a million shaft order on the table and Mitsubishi gave Nike an exclusive on the hot Diamana brand. It was a win-win proposition for both Nike and Mitsubishi. Nike gets to take advantage of the Tiger magic. With Tiger playing Nike and Diamana, why wouldn’t you want to have every club in your line look like Tiger’s club? Mitsubishi gets instant recognition as a supplier to a major OEM and a bulging bank account

It is interesting to speculate how this deal will play out. If it turns out that the Nike Diamana is a good shaft that performs well, both companies could end up winners. The fact that a shaft is inexpensive is, as Chronicles readers know, not a show stopper. Some inexpensive shafts turn out to be very high quality and gain a cult following. I have frequently mentioned Aerotech as one of those companies. But if the Nike Diamanas turn out to be just another cheap proprietary shaft painted up with graphics that make them look better than they play, the outcome could be the opposite. As my grandma used to say, “The proof is in the pudding.”

The Nike Diamana will also be the stock graphite shaft in Nike Slingshot irons. It will replace the proprietary Nike shaft of unknown manufacture in the 2005 Slingshots. Stay tuned.

Late Breaking News: Sasquatch Siting

Two days before press time, we had a chance to see, hit and test the new Nike “SQ” driver. To start, it doesn’t look like any other driver in the market. From the top, the SQ appears larger than the 2005 Ignite. That can’t be. It has a saucer-like appendage extending from the back of the head. The overall impression is larger and flatter than current drivers. The face depth is consequently a little shallower. (The marketing story is the “biggest footprint in the business” to keep up with the Sasquatch theme.) Nike is trying to raise the moment of inertia to help square and stabilize the club face at impact. The center of gravity is moved lower and farther back which should help raise trajectory and could deliver a more boring ball flight. The SQ is an example of new 2006 engineering ideas extending weight distribution concepts.

It’s interesting that in the same week that Nike started showing its new driver around, the USGA declared its intention to limit MOI in new drivers, starting in 2006. Maybe that’s an indication that they had a preview of the SQ and didn’t like what they saw.

We took the SQ apart to test the Nike Diamana shaft on our SST PURE ª equipment. On the LSI (Load Symmetry Index) test, it came out a solid “A”. What that means is that the shaft was unusually consistent and straight. It PUREd out to a .09 vertical deviation -- again very good. Overall, the results were very close to the dozens of “real” Diamanas that we have PUREd over the last several months. From what we could tell, based on testing a single shaft, the Nike Diamana is very high quality for a proprietary shaft. The Ignite was a top seller at the Golf Lab in 2005 at $400-$500 counting the extra cost of replacing the stock Ignite shaft. If Nike delivers the same Nike Diamana shaft with the production version, the SQ is going to be a fabulous bargain at $299.

The SQ head was a surprise. The big news is that the hosel is .335 -- very unusual for consumer model drivers. That makes the SQ the same as “Tour-only” heads. It is sure to be a popular feature as reshafting permits all options. Players that like the feel of .335 shafts will be more inclined to try the SQ. Another interesting finding is that the head weighed 205 grams. Most consumer drivers come with 200 gram heads. That is a good weight if you’re like a D-1 swingweight at 45”. But with more and more players looking for heavier swingweights at shorter lengths, heavier driver heads are required. In our SST Tour Van experience, we found that most PGA Tour players play drivers with head weights in the 204 to 208 gram range.

Nike made several other changes to their product line for 2006. The most important is that they redesigned the popular Slingshots. For 2006, Tom Stites designed a “Tour” head, trimming up the profile from the top, thinning the top line and narrowing the sole. It now looks like a player’s blade from the business end. I’m looking forward to trying a set after a favorable experience with this year’s model that was only dampened by the clunky sole design. I can see playing the Slingshot Tours in 2006. On the game improvement side, there is a second, oversize Slingshot model that is truly a Charles Barkley club. Creating two models is a brilliant response to critical reviews and demonstrates Nike is driven by its powerful and intelligent marketing department.

Nike hybrids are redesigned to pick up on the Slingshot styling. Nike changed the colors on its putters to a more Tour-friendly black. I look forward to testing and playing the new models. 2006 will be Nike’s third year of focusing on the golf industry. Their first year was an embarrassment. The second year was credible. They might have got it right in the third year. Stay tuned.

TaylorMade
St 2.0
Fujikura 771ta
.sdasldmasdasd
asdsadaSD
asdas
WITB Link

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes good read,

FYI Nike has 2 new drivers post SQ with a debut in Japan Late Feb. 2006

The U.S domestic market may get their first sight of these at the florida golf show or a few months after.

December 1st as a Japan release Nike will have the new Sling shot OSS with a new face material and design and the new Sling shot " TOUR" Irons with less offset, smaller topline, higher C.O.G and thinner sole.

During that release you will see the Sling Shot Hybrid and Sling Shot "TOUR" Hybrids released.

Are you the author of the above writing? It seems very professional. If you are not you should quote the author/source.

45680[/snapback]

At the start deuce tells us that the article is from 'Golftoday Magazine'

45734[/snapback]

Thanks. I think that good enough.

This hype is killing me about this head.

TaylorMade
St 2.0
Fujikura 771ta
.sdasldmasdasd
asdsadaSD
asdas
WITB Link

Hmmm...Is this enough to break my swoosh boycott?????? They are going to continue to buy their way into the party, the American way no?!? If they keep this up my will is breaking down with every SQ release/review I read. Maybe I should give in? $299 how can I resist?

45728[/snapback]

They don't have to "buy their way in" as you put it, they are in because they have a top notch product.

If only the anti-Nike crowd would......well nevermind, some people are just.............

They don't have to "buy their way in" as you put it, they are in because they have a top notch product. 

If only the anti-Nike crowd would......well nevermind, some people are just.............

45815[/snapback]

a bit of a nike fan, are we?! i actually like nike and dlefty is right. they've slowly improved their products and now they've got some quality stuff. just because you have some hatred for the brand doesn't mean you can't use it. hell, i've got a mac but run microsoft office on it!! well, i digress...

the article was great and, like everyone else on here, i'm itching to try this out. i wasn't a fan of the top-down view of the ignite, but i will definitely check this out at that price point and with a well-reviewed stock shaft (if it turns out to be the retail version).

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

If anything I will be looking at the Tour Version of this driver, worlds difference between the two. The Tour is very pear shaped, and looks extremely good to my eye. The big thing that I am wondering about is the stock Diamana shaft. Is this a totally different shaft than the retail Diamana that goes for almost the full retail value of this driver, or is it going to be a 'Speeder - Esclusively made for Titleist' comparison. From reviews, the Diamana seemed to be a very good combo in last year's Ignite head, and I am sure it will be in the SQ, seeing that there are already many tour players playing this combo.

Can sombody explain the similarities between this Stock SQ Diamana, and the retail Diamana?

Thanks, Bryan

The thought of the new Nike SQ drivers are haunting me in my dreams. I am becoming increasing aware of the potential in this head. USGA responds to the head. Then I read this article after KJ wins using it. From golftoday magazine on the Nike SQ...

Nike Buys into the Game

By the time you read this, you will have heard the drumbeat for the new Nike driver -- code named “Sasquatch” (SQ). It will come with a distinctive yellow swatch on the soleplate, presumably so it shows up better on television. Always competitive, Nike is pricing the SQ at $299. It will be advertised as coming with a Mitsubishi Diamana as its stock shaft. With Diamanas selling north of $300 all summer and Tiger leading a who’s who of PGA Tour players with a Diamanas in their bag, the deal is going to look too good to be true. It might be.

The Nike Diamana shaft is a cheaper version of the high end Diamana. Nike laid a million shaft order on the table and Mitsubishi gave Nike an exclusive on the hot Diamana brand. It was a win-win proposition for both Nike and Mitsubishi. Nike gets to take advantage of the Tiger magic. With Tiger playing Nike and Diamana, why wouldn’t you want to have every club in your line look like Tiger’s club? Mitsubishi gets instant recognition as a supplier to a major OEM and a bulging bank account

It is interesting to speculate how this deal will play out. If it turns out that the Nike Diamana is a good shaft that performs well, both companies could end up winners. The fact that a shaft is inexpensive is, as Chronicles readers know, not a show stopper. Some inexpensive shafts turn out to be very high quality and gain a cult following. I have frequently mentioned Aerotech as one of those companies. But if the Nike Diamanas turn out to be just another cheap proprietary shaft painted up with graphics that make them look better than they play, the outcome could be the opposite. As my grandma used to say, “The proof is in the pudding.”

The Nike Diamana will also be the stock graphite shaft in Nike Slingshot irons. It will replace the proprietary Nike shaft of unknown manufacture in the 2005 Slingshots. Stay tuned.

Late Breaking News: Sasquatch Siting

Two days before press time, we had a chance to see, hit and test the new Nike “SQ” driver. To start, it doesn’t look like any other driver in the market. From the top, the SQ appears larger than the 2005 Ignite. That can’t be. It has a saucer-like appendage extending from the back of the head. The overall impression is larger and flatter than current drivers. The face depth is consequently a little shallower. (The marketing story is the “biggest footprint in the business” to keep up with the Sasquatch theme.) Nike is trying to raise the moment of inertia to help square and stabilize the club face at impact. The center of gravity is moved lower and farther back which should help raise trajectory and could deliver a more boring ball flight. The SQ is an example of new 2006 engineering ideas extending weight distribution concepts.

It’s interesting that in the same week that Nike started showing its new driver around, the USGA declared its intention to limit MOI in new drivers, starting in 2006. Maybe that’s an indication that they had a preview of the SQ and didn’t like what they saw.

We took the SQ apart to test the Nike Diamana shaft on our SST PURE ª equipment. On the LSI (Load Symmetry Index) test, it came out a solid “A”. What that means is that the shaft was unusually consistent and straight. It PUREd out to a .09 vertical deviation -- again very good. Overall, the results were very close to the dozens of “real” Diamanas that we have PUREd over the last several months. From what we could tell, based on testing a single shaft, the Nike Diamana is very high quality for a proprietary shaft. The Ignite was a top seller at the Golf Lab in 2005 at $400-$500 counting the extra cost of replacing the stock Ignite shaft. If Nike delivers the same Nike Diamana shaft with the production version, the SQ is going to be a fabulous bargain at $299.

The SQ head was a surprise. The big news is that the hosel is .335 -- very unusual for consumer model drivers. That makes the SQ the same as “Tour-only” heads. It is sure to be a popular feature as reshafting permits all options. Players that like the feel of .335 shafts will be more inclined to try the SQ. Another interesting finding is that the head weighed 205 grams. Most consumer drivers come with 200 gram heads. That is a good weight if you’re like a D-1 swingweight at 45”. But with more and more players looking for heavier swingweights at shorter lengths, heavier driver heads are required. In our SST Tour Van experience, we found that most PGA Tour players play drivers with head weights in the 204 to 208 gram range.

Nike made several other changes to their product line for 2006. The most important is that they redesigned the popular Slingshots. For 2006, Tom Stites designed a “Tour” head, trimming up the profile from the top, thinning the top line and narrowing the sole. It now looks like a player’s blade from the business end. I’m looking forward to trying a set after a favorable experience with this year’s model that was only dampened by the clunky sole design. I can see playing the Slingshot Tours in 2006. On the game improvement side, there is a second, oversize Slingshot model that is truly a Charles Barkley club. Creating two models is a brilliant response to critical reviews and demonstrates Nike is driven by its powerful and intelligent marketing department.

Nike hybrids are redesigned to pick up on the Slingshot styling. Nike changed the colors on its putters to a more Tour-friendly black. I look forward to testing and playing the new models. 2006 will be Nike’s third year of focusing on the golf industry. Their first year was an embarrassment. The second year was credible. They might have got it right in the third year. Stay tuned.

45580[/snapback]

Or they might do what callaway used to do. When the Great Big Bertha first came out it included an excellent high end Graphite Design Shaft (and said so on the shaft---designed by Graphite Design and Callaway) in the price. After the first year they started putting the much much cheaper shaft in the club (gone was the mention of graphite design)---and gone was a lot of the performance. By the time the Biggest Big Bertha came out you could only get the graphite design "tour" shaft for an $80 upcharge (pretty steep in those days). So Nike may do the same thing go with a good version to start to get the buzz and then bring in a cheaper version with virtually the same graphics.

Are you the author of the above writing? It seems very professional. If you are not you should quote the author/source.

45680[/snapback]

At the start deuce tells us that the article is from 'Golftoday Magazine'

45734[/snapback]

Thanks. I think that good enough.

This hype is killing me about this head.

45747[/snapback]

Google the Golf Equipment Chronicles and you can follow Leith Andersen's adventures in experimenting and tinkering -- after reading it for the last 3 years, I just came across as confused. He tries something new every month in irons and I never know what really works or doesn't - the point is, I think, that it IS an endless search.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

My apologies to dlefty...Looking at your bag I guess you took my earlier post a little to heart....If you think they increased their golf revenues from $30 million to over $200 million in less than 2 years on the strength of their equipment alone, you are sadly mistaken. They have the $$$ and they have steadily increased the amount of their endorsement deals, player sponsorship, and camera time for the "swoosh". They are a force because of $$$ not equipment alone.

Good luck with "Sasquatch"..Aplogies once again..

46353[/snapback]

With all due respect, nobody's a force just because of equipment alone. All of the OEM's pump major coin into their marketing. That's why they are the "major OEM's." Adams, Orlimar, KZG, and Sonartec make great equipment, but they aren't a force due to their lack of advertising and tour endorsements. Nike pumped dough into their club design and now makes clubs that are truly phenomenal.

You think Adidas ain't putting money into TM? Does Fortune Brands let the Titleist clubs and balls speak for themselves? Nope.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

so nike is offering a high end shaft (performs basically like the $300 sold seperately) at .355 weighing in at 205grams all for $299? are they kidding me. this is great. they should do some blind testing just so we don't have to hear about the 15 handicap who can tell the difference in the shafts and then this thing will really take off. nike knows what they are doing and they just keep getting better and better. just think 3-4 years ago their clubs were a joke.

so nike is offering a high end shaft (performs basically like the $300 sold seperately) at .355 weighing in at 205grams all for $299? are they kidding me. this is great. they should do some blind testing just so we don't have to hear about the 15 handicap who can tell the difference in the shafts and then this thing will really take off. nike knows what they are doing and they just keep getting better and better. just think 3-4 years ago their clubs were a joke.

46455[/snapback]

I think the $299 is wrong for the Diamana shafted driver, according to Golfsmith http://www.golfsmith.com/browse.php?Ntk=Al...ee8fbe997726b89 the one with Diamana will be $529, the Tour version without Diamana $349 and the everyday version $299. That pricing should slow a few people down.....

Pete

My apologies to dlefty...Looking at your bag I guess you took my earlier post a little to heart....If you think they increased their golf revenues from $30 million to over $200 million in less than 2 years on the strength of their equipment alone, you are sadly mistaken. They have the $$$ and they have steadily increased the amount of their endorsement deals, player sponsorship, and camera time for the "swoosh". They are a force because of $$$ not equipment alone.

46353[/snapback]

Wow-first off I'd like to say thanks, I was shocked reading the first sentence of your reply, not often you see a person act like a decent human when they disagree on internet message boards.

2nd, I'd like to reply to the rest of your post. I couldn't agree more with the "push" Nike has been making in the golf industry the last 1-1.5 years. And yes, they are spending money, and yes, I respect and admire them for that. With so many "big" companies now-a-days becoming less and less willing to spend money, Nike is, and that I feel is great. I firmly believe every other golf company would want to do the same, IF they A) had the money to spend, or B) didn't have a tight-wad at the top over-ruling any money spending.

Good for Nike!

When Nike first came in to the equipment market, I would have nothing to do with any of it, I stuck to "traditional/proven" equipment by Mizuno, Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland, etc. Once Nike's newer stuff came out, I still didn't want to use it, based on my fear of a new equipment company, as well as me not caring much for their previous offerings. BUT, once I actually tried the new stuff head-to-head against my current stuff, as well as other companies new product, I was simply amazed. The way I ended up with an almost all Nike bag is simple, launch monitor data, as well as on course performance, and looks, proved their equipment to be working the BEST, for me.

A few things are clear to me. Many in the "older" generation are hooked on a brand/brands they have liked or used for most of their golfing lives.

Many have bias / dislike for Nike simply because they are a giant force / company, and that alone makes people jealous, etc.

Many are "afraid" to try new product from a new to the golfing industry company.

I am a Nike fan, not a person that buys the stuff because of Tiger, a lot do, but that's why they pay him what they do. I tell you this, if Tiger went to another company tomorrow, I'd still use Nike gear for years to come. I'd also switch gear anytime I find something that works better for me, that is why I have a YES! putter, and am currently experimenting with a Nickent 3DX hybrid, which as of right now, will have a real chance at getting in my bag for next year once I find the right shaft.

If anything I will be looking at the Tour Version of this driver, worlds difference between the two. The Tour is very pear shaped, and looks extremely good to my eye. The big thing that I am wondering about is the stock Diamana shaft. Is this a totally different shaft than the retail Diamana that goes for almost the full retail value of this driver, or is it going to be a 'Speeder - Esclusively made for Titleist' comparison. From reviews, the Diamana seemed to be a very good combo in last year's Ignite head, and I am sure it will be in the SQ, seeing that there are already many tour players playing this combo.

Can sombody explain the similarities between this Stock SQ Diamana, and the retail Diamana?

Thanks, Bryan

46056[/snapback]

It will be a "Nike Diamana", but it is a pretty damn good shaft. It has been tested out, and actually graded out an "A" by a company.

The "real" Diamana will be an available upgrade to the SQ Tour model, for an upcharge of course.

Nike has actually recently signed a "mega deal" with Mitsubishi Rayon to do a lot of their new/future product graphite shafts.

46353[/snapback]

Wow-first off I'd like to say thanks, I was shocked reading the first sentence of your reply, not often you see a person act like a decent human when they disagree on internet message boards.

2nd, I'd like to reply to the rest of your post. I couldn't agree more with the "push" Nike has been making in the golf industry the last 1-1.5 years. And yes, they are spending money, and yes, I respect and admire them for that. With so many "big" companies now-a-days becoming less and less willing to spend money, Nike is, and that I feel is great. I firmly believe every other golf company would want to do the same, IF they A) had the money to spend, or B) didn't have a tight-wad at the top over-ruling any money spending.

Good for Nike!

When Nike first came in to the equipment market, I would have nothing to do with any of it, I stuck to "traditional/proven" equipment by Mizuno, Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland, etc. Once Nike's newer stuff came out, I still didn't want to use it, based on my fear of a new equipment company, as well as me not caring much for their previous offerings. BUT, once I actually tried the new stuff head-to-head against my current stuff, as well as other companies new product, I was simply amazed. The way I ended up with an almost all Nike bag is simple, launch monitor data, as well as on course performance, and looks, proved their equipment to be working the BEST, for me.

A few things are clear to me. Many in the "older" generation are hooked on a brand/brands they have liked or used for most of their golfing lives.

Many have bias / dislike for Nike simply because they are a giant force / company, and that alone makes people jealous, etc.

Many are "afraid" to try new product from a new to the golfing industry company.

I am a Nike fan, not a person that buys the stuff because of Tiger, a lot do, but that's why they pay him what they do. I tell you this, if Tiger went to another company tomorrow, I'd still use Nike gear for years to come. I'd also switch gear anytime I find something that works better for me, that is why I have a YES! putter, and am currently experimenting with a Nickent 3DX hybrid, which as of right now, will have a real chance at getting in my bag for next year once I find the right shaft.

46606[/snapback]

Let me know what shaft you settle on. I plan on trying a UST IROD Hybrid Utility in a 17 degree 3DX. The stock shaft has a low launch angle, but the head seems good, nice and straight, no lefty tendencies like the TM Mid Rescue I just got rid of

Just got done hitting the new SQ MAX version an hour ago, wow! Once you can get past its looks, the technology behind it really works. High launch and just flies strait. This has to be the easiest to hit driver ever made!

And I thought my T-60 3wood would NEVER get replaced until it fell apart, but the SQ fairway woods are superb as well, the one LH I hit though appeared to be a touch closed as opposed to my T-60.

Just got done hitting the new SQ MAX version an hour ago, wow!  Once you can get past its looks, the technology behind it really works.  High launch and just flies strait.  This has to be the easiest to hit driver ever made!

And I thought my T-60 3wood would NEVER get replaced until it fell apart, but the SQ fairway woods are superb as well, the one LH I hit though appeared to be a touch closed as opposed to my T-60.

46715[/snapback]

Will you stick with the MAx or the tour? Also anything noticably different from the Ignite 460 other than looks? How about trajectory and sound?

Just got done hitting the new SQ MAX version an hour ago, wow!  Once you can get past its looks, the technology behind it really works.  High launch and just flies strait.  This has to be the easiest to hit driver ever made!

46715[/snapback]

Will you stick with the MAx or the tour? Also anything noticably different from the Ignite 460 other than looks? How about trajectory and sound?

46720[/snapback]

To answer your questions-

My first purchase of this new driver line will be the Tour version when it comes out in spring '06. I simply want to try it based on the square face angle and the deeper face it will have. That being said, with how easy the Max version is to hit, if I have any driving issues next year, I will pick one up to get me back on track, I believe it will be a high launching fairway finder. The only "issue" I have with the Tour version, is it will only be offered in 9.5° loft for LH golfers, I am a low ball hitter, who needs all the launch angle help I can get off the tee, I hit the 9.5° Max version, and it launches AT LEAST as high as my 10.5° Ignite, so I hope the same can be said for the Tour version. I am so confident in my Ignite, I hope the adjustment over to the SQ will be easy, and I hope it provides me a better launch angle. The Max version face is less deep than the current Ignite 460 by a bit.

Different trajectory and sound versus the Ignite......YES for sure. The Ignite IS a lower launching style of driver head, that is a fact. A 10.5° Ignite launches as low as some 8.5-9.5° drivers by other manufacturers. The SQ MAX version plays at least 1-1.5° higher than an equally lofted Ignite, if not more. I am hoping the Tour version is the same as far as that goes, or the 9.5° will be an issue for me.

Sound is also different, it has a bit more of a "metallic thwack" as opposed to the Ignite's hollow/muted "toink". Sound is all a personal preference, as I like how they both sound, no preference here.