2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

A disgrace to golf

bradvanp

To anyone that watched the final round of todays match play. Did you see the segment about Tiger Woods' streak? Near the end they mentioned about how when Byron Nelson had his streak the fields were thinned out because of the war and how his first tournament win during the streak was a team event. I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even if the first one was a team event.. it's still 10 in a row. Yeah they took a stab.. 11 is 11 and if Tiger cant do it (he cant) then no one will.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

it seems like Tiger is golfs "golden boy", and as fun as it is to watch him do what he is doing, i think they often try and make him seem even more amazing than he is because Tiger sells golf more than anyone in the game ever has. You can't compare now and then, 11 then was just as impressive as 11 now, look at all the advantages Tiger has over Byron. It is unfortunate that golf needs to promote the new faces over the old faces to sell tickets.

mike

I hate to be the "unwelcome" post at this thread but someone has to say it. Everything that jimmy roberts said in the final round is completely true. I think it is much easier to win 11 in the 1960's than 7 today because of the competition and like jimmy said "the fields." do not get me wrong, byron was truly a force in the game of golf. I just think that what tiger did was more impressive in the modern day than what byron accomplished in the past.

I hate to be the "unwelcome" post at this thread but someone has to say it. Everything that jimmy roberts said in the final round is completely true. I think it is much easier to win 11 in the 1960's than 7 today because of the competition and like jimmy said "the fields." do not get me wrong, byron was truly a force in the game of golf. I just think that what tiger did was more impressive in the modern day than what byron accomplished in the past.

I am inclined to agree in part. Golf was not nearly as accessible a sport in that era. The competition was not what it is now. That is why I don't think you can compare one to another. But 11 wins in a row is incredible and will always be one of the most impressive golf records.

i think they often try and make him seem even more amazing

True..if you are referring to Mickelson...with Tiger, his achievements match the "hype"..You don't make anything up with him. The records are right in front of you..unless you are in denial of course..

Thought they used the wrong language to describe Nelson's run but they were comparing the two runs, the impact of the war, Snead off the tour and Nelson's run. It was fair to point that out as much as it is fair to point that Tiger did not tee it up every week as Nelson did..

this coming from the guy who started the pro got it easy these days thread ??? Wow

Ok you play in the clothes that Bryon played in.. ties and thick clothing, with those irons and woods and that old ball or pretty long courses for those days...and greens you could not get them flat in those days. Golf course equipment has come as far as they equipment you play with everyday. Watch some old footage and see how hard these guys hit putts and watch them bounce all over the place. I'm not trying to take anything away from Tiger he's got all the skill and more important the mindset, but dont you take anything away from the oldtimers either.

Nelson won 11 in a row! Tiger does not tee it up only when the top 10 tees it up. With todays game were lucky to see the best in the world in the same field 10 times a year, much less eleven in a row. Also the greens and course conditions that Nelson played in were not as pristine as today so he had to play the course became another obstacle in itself. Tiger had a great run, I don't believe it was 7 in a row (due to losses in Europe), but still a great run.

Nelson won 11 in a row! Tiger does not tee it up only when the top 10 tees it up. With todays game were lucky to see the best in the world in the same field 10 times a year, much less eleven in a row. Also the greens and course conditions that Nelson played in were not as pristine as today so he had to play the course became another obstacle in itself. Tiger had a great run, I don't believe it was 7 in a row (due to losses in Europe), but still a great run.

I totally agree with this post. Its a shame golf commentators have to disrespect Byron Nelson to put Tiger on his heavenly pedestal, but I don't consider Tiger's run a streak in the first place because I think all full field events (INTL. INC) should be counted as part of his run.

this coming from the guy who started the pro got it easy these days thread ??? Wow

Ok you play in the clothes that Bryon played in.. ties and thick clothing, with those irons and woods and that old ball or pretty long courses for those days...and greens you could not get them flat in those days. Golf course equipment has come as far as they equipment you play with everyday. Watch some old footage and see how hard these guys hit putts and watch them bounce all over the place. I'm not trying to take anything away from Tiger he's got all the skill and more important the mindset, but dont you take anything away from the oldtimers either.

Keep in mind that the conditions were the same for everyone else and byron really had no REAL competition like tiger does every week. It doesnt matter what clothes players wear or how bumpy and inaccurate the green conditions were. Golf has changed and i believe that todays game is much more complex and intricate

Well said. And I will add...Nelson drove himself to tournaments, he didn't have a Gulfstream GV at his beck and call. So after a long drive, he got to play golf.

but I don't consider Tiger's run a streak in the first place because I think all full field events (INTL. INC) should be counted as part of his run.

why?

It was a PGA tour winning streak. The events he played in internationally weren't sanctioned by the PGA..The British Open and PGA were...

It's funny that you guys are saying Nelson's record is being depreciated..and then swing out at Tiger's streak not being that at all..you guys are just haters...

Keep in mind that the conditions were the same for everyone else and byron really had no REAL competition like tiger does every week. It doesnt matter what clothes players wear or how bumpy and inaccurate the green conditions were. Golf has changed and i believe that todays game is much more complex and intricate

today's game is Bomb and gouge.. nothing complex about that...

and quit quoting.. you messed it up somewhere :rolleyes:

but I don't consider Tiger's run a streak in the first place because I think all full field events (INTL. INC) should be counted as part of his run.

why?

It was a PGA tour winning streak. The events he played in internationally weren't sanctioned by the PGA..The British Open and PGA were...

It's funny that you guys are saying Nelson's record is being depreciated..and then swing out at Tiger's streak not being that at all..you guys are just haters...

I just dont see the point of differentiating between PGA tour events and full field international tournaments. In Byron's day of course international play was not what it is today and thus I believe he played just about entirely in the US. If a player gets beaten in a full field event regardless of the tour I dont see how it can't interrupt a streak. No disrespect to either great players, but it is what it is.

just my .02

justin

[/b]

It most certainly is not, take this week for example. If a player were not to place a fairway shot within a 10 foot spot on a green it would simply be a horrible shot. Nowadays players must be very accurate with everything they do. back in the 60's there were no 12 stimpmeter greens with false fronts that would drip into the water. Conditions and shot selection werent as important back then. Its not a bad way of playing the game it was just different.

Not at Hoylake or Medinah it wasn't.

Bob Hope..yeah

ok 2 out of what... 30 something.. come on :rolleyes:

Give it a week and Tiger will be on a new streak of most PGA stroke play events. Since the losses in Europe were in Europe, and the match play was match play............he still good to go for the most PGA stroke play events without a loss............right?

lol something tells me the fantastic golf channel coverage will spin it all this way....

yeah I was thinking of the other big events Tiger plays in sanctioned by other tours

:rolleyes: you guys are way too sensible and objectional when it comes to Tiger..I do remember the Arnie army days however, people weren't this rational...

I dare say the way Tiger is treated on boards is how we treat soccer players from the other opposing team or country...you wouldn't think Tiger was American..i don't even see much pride in some of the posts in your own fellow countryman...is it because he is not Caucasian? Just trying to understand why fellow countrymen like you guys are so objectionable..on every board it seems like..very weird

yeah I was thinking of the other big events Tiger plays in sanctioned by other tours

:rolleyes: you guys are way too sensible and objectional when it comes to Tiger..I do remember the Arnie army days however, people weren't this rational...

I dare say the way Tiger is treated on boards is how we treat soccer players from the other opposing team or country...you wouldn't think Tiger was American..i don't even see much pride in some of the posts in your own fellow countryman...is it because he is not Caucasian? Just trying to understand why fellow countrymen like you guys are so objectionable..on every board it seems like..very weird

dont bring the racecard in skink.. I dont (hopefully not) think it's that... Phil brings out the bad on alot of the boards too.. He's white.

dont bring the racecard in skink.. I dont (hopefully not) think it's that... Phil brings out the bad on alot of the boards too.. He's white.

I agree, race has nothing to do with any of this.

No one is denigrating Tiger here. I think many people respect golf legends, such as Byron Nelson, and take exception to the observations made by a T.V. commentator that marginalize records set in the past. Byron Nelson certainly earned respect as a player and more so away from the game of golf.

I am inclined to agree in part. Golf was not nearly as accessible a sport in that era. The competition was not what it is now. That is why I don't think you can compare one to another. But 11 wins in a row is incredible and will always be one of the most impressive golf records.

That's exactly right...you can't compare one to another. That was a different era, and Byron's record should and does stand on it's own merit. IMO a greater merit. No full swing coaches, no short game coaches, no sports psychologists, just pure determination and self confidence. Tiger sells and that's what the networks want.

so he is just a high achiever that people like to rip at? I would understand that if it he was all hype..some underachieving, overpayed sports persona..it just seems like everything he does is somehow..slighted mostly by fellow Americans. I find that rather strange...

so he is just a high achiever that people like to rip at? I would understand that if it he was all hype..some underachieving, overpayed sports persona..it just seems like everything he does is somehow..slighted mostly by fellow Americans. I find that rather strange...

Would you like to know why? because he is the best golfer of the present time and i believe he will be the best to ever play the game. He is not something that will just come and go, he is truly something special. It certainly does make a difference in some situations that he has overcome racial adversity early in his life, and that makes his life an even better PR tool for many. He is truly a gift to the golfing world.