Jacksonville FL- Best all around course to be member???

mdgoo

The title says it all. Well almost. A little background of myself. I am deployed at the moment but return to the states late June early July (i have a few months but I'm impatient, I hate this place but it could be worse). Will be stationed on the west side of Jacksonville FL. Have not been in one location long enough to be a member of a course but I will be in FL for about 4 years. Plenty of time to find a home course. I'm really trying to take my game to the next level. I had a really awesome course in Galveston TX that I wasn't a full member of but it was considered home.

Im basically looking for tips on which tracks to check out first. Im looking for a challenging course with a really good practice facility (good range balls, nice putting green, chip/pitching, sand, the works, friendly staff). I don't really want to go over $2k as a limited member, as in walking 7 days a week, free range balls, and little benefits they like to throw in. Im open to all though as long as they are somewhat close to jville like with in 30 min.

I really appreciate y'alls help. Also if y'all have any good locations to be looking to rent a decent home for my wife and I that would be great too.

Thanks everyone

Michael

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey. I live in Jacksonville. I am in the navy and just left for a long deployment....I am not a member anywhere but play alot of courses. I'm guessing you are tired of the navy courses. I personally like Windsor park on the southside. It's challenging but the course is always kept up. If you are looking more towards your side, I would try Orange Park Country Club or fleming island. I've heard of Bent creek which i sprobably near you, depending where on the westside you live. Not sure first hand of Bent Creek. I know of others but that should get you started. Hope this helps.

Bent Creek and Eagle Landing have nice PDP (player development program) so much a month you get free range balls and discount rates, Eagle Harbor, Fleming Island, and Magnolia Point are all close together just south of Orange Park. Timuquana Country Club is close but that is high dollar. Make sure to check the walking policy most don't allow walking on weekends or if they do it is after a certain time.

[url="http://www.ccofop.com/ccop/membership.html"]Orange Park Country Club[/url]

[url="http://www.timuquana.net/Membership.aspx"]Timuquana Country Club[/url] - you're REALLY gonna have to work on this one!

"Timuquana is a private club open only to members and their guests. Potential new members must be sponsored by two current members and seconded by three additional members through written endorsements. Prospective members are then subject to approval by the Board of Governors and membership."

[url="http://www.golfbentcreek.com/Jacksonville-Florida-Golf-Memberships.html"]Bent Creek Golf Course[/url]

[url="http://execgolf.com/jax/MemberShipBenefits.html"]Exec Golf Membership[/url] - this [b]might [/b]be your best option with the selection of 13 courses, which also includes eagle landing in orange park and eagle harbor in fleming island

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1392878825' post='8707273']
I don't know the details But when I was down there last month they were running an ad for the Dye Valley course over at TPC Sawgrass for 2500 a year. The course is being updated in March and will open by June.
[/quote]

with the OP living on the westside and wanting somewhere within 30 minutes, TPC won't work....jacksonville is the largest city by area in the US so sometimes if you need to take a trip around here, you better pack a lunch! a co-worker of mine took advantage of what you mentioned but looks like things are changing March 1st

[url="http://www.tpc.com/tpc.asp?id=12&page=155"]TPC Sawgrass Membership[/url]

[b]The Dye’s Valley Annual Pass Membership[/b]

Dye’s Valley Annual Pass Options -New Member Offer until February 28, 2014.

Join and receive an additional seven (7) months of full membership privileges

Receive 10% off all future Valley Annual Pricing (must remain a current member to receive this offer) – Dye’s Valley Annual Pass will be priced at $3,500 annually when reopened September 2014.

Receive (1) complimentary round of golf on THE PLAYERS Stadium Course (June – September 2014)

Receive Member rates on THE PLAYERS Stadium (June – September 2014)

Receive member discounts in the Golf Shop (20%) and Nineteen/Traditions (20%) TOUR Academy (20% off – Staff Instructors) and Performance Lab (Reduced pricing)

Practice facility access – member practice ball pricing - $6.00 per bag.

Preferred rates at local Clubs

Beginning March 1, 2014 new pricing will be effective. New member will receive additional months based upon date of joining. Example – join in March 2014 – receive additional 7 months.

Access to Dye’s Valley Course for the price of cart fees

Access to THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at Member rates

Advance booking of tee times on both the Dye’s Valley Course (10 days in advance) and THE PLAYERS Stadium Course (7 days in advance)

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='baller4opca' timestamp='1392841592' post='8703599']
Hey. I live in Jacksonville. I am in the navy and just left for a long deployment....I am not a member anywhere but play alot of courses. I'm guessing you are tired of the navy courses. I personally like Windsor park on the southside. It's challenging but the course is always kept up. If you are looking more towards your side, I would try Orange Park Country Club or fleming island. I've heard of Bent creek which i sprobably near you, depending where on the westside you live. Not sure first hand of Bent Creek. I know of others but that should get you started. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thank you for the info. It definitely will help out. Going to do some research online to find out more on these courses you mentioned. I don't currently have a home in jacksonville but i know that i will working out of the west side navy air base. Im not to sure on where I will be searching for to rent but ideally i would like for it to be close to a course. Im ok with living 30 minutes away from the base to be closer to a specific course. Hopefully I will be able to find a nice place to live. Where is your deployment?

I don't know the details But when I was down there last month they were running an ad for the Dye Valley course over at TPC Sawgrass for 2500 a year. The course is being updated in March and will open by June.
[/quote]
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1392895544' post='8707609']
[/quote]

with the OP living on the westside and wanting somewhere within 30 minutes, TPC won't work....jacksonville is the largest city by area in the US so sometimes if you need to take a trip around here, you better pack a lunch! a co-worker of mine took advantage of what you mentioned but looks like things are changing March 1st

Receive 10% off all future Valley Annual Pricing (must remain a current member to receive this offer) – Dye’s Valley Annual Pass will be priced at $3,500 annually when reopened September 2014.

Receive (1) complimentary round of golf on THE PLAYERS Stadium Course (June – September 2014)

Receive member discounts in the Golf Shop (20%) and Nineteen/Traditions (20%) TOUR Academy (20% off – Staff Instructors) and Performance Lab (Reduced pricing)

Beginning March 1, 2014 new pricing will be effective. New member will receive additional months based upon date of joining. Example – join in March 2014 – receive additional 7 months.

Advance booking of tee times on both the Dye’s Valley Course (10 days in advance) and THE PLAYERS Stadium Course (7 days in advance)
[/quote]

As of right now I don't have a house in FL yet. I will be working in the west side but possibly life closer to TPC in Mandarin. Someone else in the USCG mentioned that location as a decent spot to live. TPC Sawgrass would be pretty awesome to be a member at. If it is still $2500 when i get there and its not to far of a drive i might have to seriously think about that one. Ima have to find some golf buddies out in the area too.

Thank you for all the info on Sawgrass. Really helps out a lot. Really looking forward to see what Jacksonville has to offer.

I had a friend that was an assistant at St. John's, that was a pretty good course If I remember right. I have only played it once though. I'm not a fan of South Hampton, I guess it's ok if you are just looking for somewhere to play a round every now and then, but to be a member, I don't think I would want to play that all the time.

[quote name='mdgoo' timestamp='1392921552' post='8709731']
[/quote]
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1392895544' post='8707609']
[/quote]

[/quote]

As of right now I don't have a house in FL yet. I will be working in the west side but possibly life closer to TPC in Mandarin. Someone else in the USCG mentioned that location as a decent spot to live. TPC Sawgrass would be pretty awesome to be a member at. If it is still $2500 when i get there and its not to far of a drive i might have to seriously think about that one. Ima have to find some golf buddies out in the area too.

Thank you for all the info on Sawgrass. Really helps out a lot. Really looking forward to see what Jacksonville has to offer.
[/quote]

you're welcome. jax is a great spot for a golfer to be.....courses are all over just depends on what side of town you set up in. a good number of the current touring pros have made their way here to live with the obvious reason being they make TPC Sawgrass their home base for practice. mandarin is indeed a nice area so that will have the orange park course there for you. for several years it was a former NGA Hooters Tour (now NGA Tour) stop called the Michelob Ultra Orange Park Open so it has pedigree but there have been plenty of other good suggestions. whatever the case, keep up with everyone as you can see there's plenty of jax representation to help out

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

I am on the PHIL SEA and we are attached to the BUSH Strike Group heading to mostly 5th and 6th fleet. I'm very familiar to the base you are going to be at, NAS JAX. The golf course there is not that bad. I would check it out there before recommending you spend more money. That being said you are prob going to live with all the other military familes which would be Argyle or where I'm from Orange Park. Around that area i would stick with Bent Creek, Orange Park Country Club, Fleming Island or Eagle Harbor. If your'e willing to drive over the bridge and go about 20-25 mins away I can recommend others. Good luck on house hunting. I personally love jax as it has great golf and beaches.

I've played the Southeastern Military Invitational (SEMI) twice at Jax NAS and it was a good course, nice condition, great clubhouse & food. The course has 27 holes, red/white/blue and the tournament is played on the red/white 18 every year the week of the players championship. I've been in the service 20 years myself and golf is definitely my drug of choice...with that being said, you might seriously consider having your membership at Jax NAS thus freeing up a lot of coin for playing all the better courses in the Jax area. To the south you have World Golf Village, beyond that is Hammock Dunes, to the east is TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, Amelia Island has a host of clubs to the north. You're also an easy drive from Hilton Head...if you made a road trip every week for a year you couldn't play them all. I'm stationed in the UK right now and joined at the base despite the fact it bores me on many occasions; however, it has allowed me to play Woodhall Spa, Sunningdale, The Belfry, St Andrews, The Grove, London Golf Club, Woburn, and on and on. I pay $47 a month, I think Jax is a little more than that, based on rank. Something to think about anyway.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Country Club of Orange Park (formerly Orange Park CC) is a shell of it's former self. Used to be a really well ran private & semi private Hooters Tour host course. Now it's just another course in the area. Bubba Watson won a Hooters tour event there in Cool Story Hansel news.

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5*
Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 13*
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19* & 22*
TaylorMade Rac OS 5-PW
Bridgestone Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
PING Redwood 303ss

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mdgoo' timestamp='1392921552' post='8709731']

[/quote]

md--I'm a member of the Valley Course. It's currently under renovation and we'll be able to golf on it again after the Web.Com Tour Championship in September. The info quoted above is accurate. I personally think its one of the best deals in golf because of the quality of what you get for the price.

I know lots of people who live in Mandarin and love it. Mandarin is just over the river from NAS Jax. It's a 25 minute drive from San Jose Blvd/I295 intersection (the Mandarin exit) to the TPC (I did that drive last week to do AARP volunteer tax prep work at a Mandarin site). I live up in Jax Beach and its a 15 minute drive to the TPC and consider it nothing.

Consider it, you'll get spoiled!