Lake of the Ozarks Last Week in April

jez

Driving down to the Ozarks for a 4 day golf trip the end of April. Our course selection includes Old Kinderhook. Osage National, Sycamore Creek and the Oaks at Tan-Tar-A. How does this line up sound? Never golfed that area before. We're staying at a VRBO near Tan-Tar-A. Any suggestions as to good places to eat and drink would be appreciated.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jez' timestamp='1395072526' post='8889889']
Driving down to the Ozarks for a 4 day golf trip the end of April. Our course selection includes Old Kinderhook. Osage National, Sycamore Creek and the Oaks at Tan-Tar-A. How does this line up sound? Never golfed that area before. We're staying at a VRBO near Tan-Tar-A. Any suggestions as to good places to eat and drink would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Old Kinderhook and Osage National are a lot of fun. I've never played Sycamore Creek and it has been awhile since I played The Oaks. If you can, try to get on Porta Cima. I play there once or twice a year and many would argue that it is the best course in the state. Tan Tar A is a decent resort and their food was always decent. There is a casual restaurant called Peckers that we usually grab a drink or two at. We are always there in the summer so most of our eating/drinking is on the lake. Have a great trip.

A couple other courses to consider: The Ridge or The Cove (both Lodge of 4 Seasons courses.) Agree with Porta Cima, absolutely awesome. Peckers is now closed. A few other dining options, Shorty Pants (on the water, Cajun), Lil Rizzos (Italian), Wobbly Boots (BBQ) Vista Grande (Mexican) JB Hooks (a little more upscale).

Old Kinderhook and Osage National are the best in the area.

The next tier include the Cove, the Ridge, Bear Creek Valley and Redfield. They're nice courses, but nothing really notable. They're fun, but not all that memorable.

After that, you'll find other courses like Sycamore Creek, The Oaks, Deer Chase, and even Dogwood Hills. These courses are average at best. They all have a few decent holes (ok, maybe not Dogwood Hills), but they're really just cheaply run local courses.

You're dead on playing Kinderhook and Osage National (I prefer the Mountain and Links 9s.) Sycamore is an interesting course, but one that's very tight and as a bunch of random lakes thrown in to make it more than just a driver/wedge track. If you want a tight course, I much prefer Bear Creek Valley, although it's not as close to Tan-tar-a as Sycamore Creek.

To me, the Oaks is just an old course that should have been rebuilt a number of times. Not bad, but not memorable either. Redfield is a long way from you @ tan-tar-a (it's in Eugene, close to Eldon). It's a much more modern course with good variety for a great price. The Cove and the Ridge are nice courses, but not worth the money, if you ask me. The best way to play those courses is to do them both in the same day, because you can play the second course for the replay rate (real cheap).

Porto Cima is in another level all together. It's a great track, but also private. You either need to do some weekday stay-and-play package at The Lodge of Four Seasons or you have to have your pro call their pros to extend a offer to play. Even then, you might not be able to get on during the weekend.

Note: Old Kinderhook just aerated their greens, so they should be good for you in 4-5 weeks, but keep an eye on the rainfall.....if it's dry between now and then, you might find the greens not fully recovered yet. That's one of the highlights of that place, too. Their greens are some of the best public greens you'll play.

I will be playing both Osage National and Old Kinderhook the last Friday/Saturday in april for a 2 day tourney I play in every year. I will let you know the condition of the courses if you have not already played by then. You will want to play the 2 courses I mentioned last as you will be disappointed if you play any other course (besides Porta Cima) after playing Osage or Kinderhook.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

[quote name='cbehan' timestamp='1395538998' post='8928255']

Note: Old Kinderhook just aerated their greens, so they should be good for you in 4-5 weeks, but keep an eye on the rainfall.....if it's dry between now and then, you might find the greens not fully recovered yet. That's one of the highlights of that place, too. Their greens are some of the best public greens you'll play.
[/quote]

This is interesting - I'm playing there Wednesday and Thursday and specifically asked if they had punched yet.

I was told they did a "non aggressive" aeration a few weeks ago and won't be doing the full monty until the first week in April.

If we drive down there to find out the guy in the shop was lying, I'm going to be beyond pissed.

[quote name='Justmuckit' timestamp='1395618035' post='8934193']
[/quote]

This is interesting - I'm playing there Wednesday and Thursday and specifically asked if they had punched yet.

I was told they did a "non aggressive" aeration a few weeks ago and won't be doing the full monty until the first week in April.

If we drive down there to find out the guy in the shop was lying, I'm going to be beyond pissed.
[/quote]

My brother played there last Thursday and said they weren't in the best shape. I'd love to get a second opinion.

[quote name='cbehan' timestamp='1395708429' post='8943169']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My brother played there last Thursday and said they weren't in the best shape. I'd love to get a second opinion.
[/quote]

We're scheduled to play there Wednesday and Thursday. If they lied to us, we'll only be playing there on Wednesday and giving Osage National our business on Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

I just played Tan tar a last week, its in good shape for this time of year, also went and hit balls at osage national, nice place.

Titleist TSI3 Tour AD MT 7S
Taylormade SIM 14* Tour AD IZ 7S
Mizuno Fli Hi 2 & 3 iron
Miura CB 1008 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange
NCW 52 - 57
Scotty Cameron Bullseye

[quote name='evanseze' timestamp='1395599636' post='8932025']
I will be playing both Osage National and Old Kinderhook the last Friday/Saturday in april for a 2 day tourney I play in every year. I will let you know the condition of the courses if you have not already played by then. You will want to play the 2 courses I mentioned last as you will be disappointed if you play any other course (besides Porta Cima) after playing Osage or Kinderhook.
[/quote]
We will be playing April 27, 28, 29, &30. I'll save Osage and Kinderhook for the last 2 days. Thanks

[quote name='jez' timestamp='1395863002' post='8956881']
[quote name='cbehan' timestamp='1395539045' post='8928265']
As far as places to eat, what kind of group are you in and what type of meals are you looking for?
[/quote]

Most of the group are retired. Probably a nice steak place and a few places to grab a beer and burgers.
[/quote]

For a steak, I think Baxter's or Bentley's are the best of what I've tried, but they're a little bit of a drive from Tan-tar-a.

I like Ruthie D's, but that's even further from you. The Blue Heron had a sister restaurant called The Potted Steer that was relatively close to Tan-tar-a that was great, but they closed when they re-worked the roads there a couple years ago.

J Bruner's is closer to Tan-tar-a and is supposed to have great steaks, but I've never been. Someone else could probably give you a review of them.

As far a burgers, there are a bunch of options, and I'm not really that experienced in many of them. Hideout @ the outlet mall is pretty solid.

[quote name='Justmuckit' timestamp='1395710318' post='8943459']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We're scheduled to play there Wednesday and Thursday. If they lied to us, we'll only be playing there on Wednesday and giving Osage National our business on Thursday. I'll keep you posted.
[/quote]

If that was a "non-aggressive" aeration, I'd hate to see what an aggressive aeration is.

Greens were in terrible shape, there was construction everywhere - luckily we only paid a $20 cart fee because of a certificate.

I feel sorry for people that paid the full $55 rate.

[quote name='Justmuckit' timestamp='1395925207' post='8960757']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If that was a "non-aggressive" aeration, I'd hate to see what an aggressive aeration is.

Greens were in terrible shape, there was construction everywhere - luckily we only paid a $20 cart fee because of a certificate.

[/quote]

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. What was the construction going on? I heard from somewhere else they lost some bunkers late last year that would need repair, but I would have hoped they would have handled that before now.

[quote name='cbehan' timestamp='1395939964' post='8962331']
[quote name='Justmuckit' timestamp='1395925207' post='8960757']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. What was the construction going on? I heard from somewhere else they lost some bunkers late last year that would need repair, but I would have hoped they would have handled that before now.
[/quote]

The bunkers were fine. They were building either a new clubhouse or cabin/cottage in between #5 and #15 tee. On #5, you're teeing off 20 yards from 3 earthmovers. Good times.

Another course you might consider instead of The Oaks or Sycamore Creek is one called Deer Chase, personally I would play it before the other 2. Also, if you are looking for a good burger/sports bar there is a place close to Tan-tar-a called Molotoft Cocktails. Its on the southern end of town, not on the lake, by the Harley-Davidson store. Their burgers are really good and they have lots of TVs to watch whatever game you would like.

TM TP SLDR 430 GD AD-DI 7X
TM SLDR 15
Bridgestone J33 5 wood
MIZUNO MP-53 4-PW +1/2 up 2 deg DG X-100
VOKEY SM4 52, 58
SCOTTY CAMERON Futura X5 Dual Balance

[quote name='dishmanc' timestamp='1396010392' post='8967547']
Another course you might consider instead of The Oaks or Sycamore Creek is one called Deer Chase, personally I would play it before the other 2. Also, if you are looking for a good burger/sports bar there is a place close to Tan-tar-a called Molotoft Cocktails. Its on the southern end of town, not on the lake, by the Harley-Davidson store. Their burgers are really good and they have lots of TVs to watch whatever game you would like.
[/quote]

I would agree with you on Deer Chase. I have only played it one time, but I really liked the course. I have never played Sycamore Creek, but I was not all that impressed with the Oaks.

On another note, any locals that want to play at Payne Stewart in Branson, me and a buddy are playing there this Sunday. It is just the 2 of us, so we have room for 2 more.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

Well it looks like Deer Chase, Bear Creek, Osage and Old Kinderhook, in that order. We rented a six bedroom house for the five days. Will let you know how it was. Be careful when making tee times on the web. Deer Chase's web site was hacked. I called the # on the web site and got some guy from India telling me I won a $100. gift card, all I had to pay was a $4.50 shipping fee and wanted my CC #.

• 3 weeks later...

I am heading out to Sunrise Beach the last week of April also. Not sure if I can get a round in or not, if I do I will have to rent clubs. Most likely Friday if I do get to play, hopefully the weather is nice.

WITB:

Driver: Nike Sasquatch 460 9* w/ ProForce V2 72gr stiff tipped 3/4"

Fairway: Calloway 2017 Steelhead XR Strong 4 wood

Irons: Wilson Staff Ci chrome 4-GW stiff

Wedges: Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Wilson Staff Balance Fit Kirk Currie III