2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Equipment Reps

aaronp

how to become one? any here?
hey everyone like the title says im wondering if there are any equipment reps on here for any of the big brands : Titleist, callaway, tm, nike..etc.. also if there are how did you guys get there what do you have to do to follow that path. im looking at playing golf in college and hopefully spending a couple years trying to get my game good enough to play q school or the nationwide tour. if that doesnt happen i want to have something to fall back on and i have always been interested in that kind of thing and would greatly appreciate and replies or pm's from people who could give me some info. thanks guys!

no reps here? no tour reps? how about people with sponsorships?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two friends that are Reps in the Industry.

One started out in Customer Service with a leading company and worked his way into a Territory.

Callaway, Cleveland and TaylorMade all have their offices in Carlsbad ON THE SAME STREET! My suggestion is to fly out there and talk to all three at some point.

The other rep went down to the PGA Show in Orlando (end of January) several years ago and interviewed with several companies and was fortunate to get a job with Diawa at the time. He did quite well with them and moved on to Cleveland Golf where he is currently.

Be willing to start in the Corporate offices first. Most good companies promote from within.

Good luck.

DSquared.

thank you for the info. so basically he started out like answering phones and taking orders and then kept moving up? im interested because i love learning about new clubs and everything about them and i like the marketing aspect. i work outside service at a golf course and whenever someone starts looking at clubs they have me come into the shop to help out :blink:

As stated Inside Customer Service is a great way to start and develop your interpersonal skills and product knowledge - a couple things the bosses will be looking for for future outside reps. Time there also show company loyalty.

The other route, if you have sales and business experience and knowledge of a certain territory is to head to one of the PGA Shows (Vegas in late summer, Orlando in January). There are lots of notices posted for sale territories for "lesser" product lines. You could pick a few up independently and try your hand that way. It will develop your knowledge base and skills and then if that territory opens with a bigger company, you have an established relationshiop to use as an interview selling point.

Best of luck,

:blink:

Is there a particular company that you are looking at? The majority of the big companies have an employment or careers link on their website. You don't often see rep jobs listed here but they will list customer service openings. You can also get a hold reps in your area. The head pro at your course should have a list of contact info for the reps. Unfortunately, you can't really "fall back" on a position like this. It is a tough position to obtain and most of the time when one opens up, the companies hire within or target reps from other companies. I don't mean to be negative. It is great to see that you have the drive to start early. It is very important in this business. Just like any job, you have to start small and work your way up the majority of the time. Let us know if you have other questions.

TL

I looked into this a number of years ago. If you are not in an area of one of the companies headquarters and working for them already its a very difficult business to get into. Where I live, there are a number of reps that have gone to one of the local colleges (Kent State) and are now equipment reps. Most of them are very good golfers so its not like the jobs are going to people that are clueless but it seems like a good old boy network. They obviously have to perform but once you get with a big company and you are doing well, you can have that job for a long time. I had heard that the Titleist guys were stepping all over themselves when a territory comes up. I think there used to be a ball rep and an equipment rep. The ball rep for the #1 selling ball is not exactly a real difficult job (that comment is made without knowing internal sales goals and without any knowledge of any internal goals they had to meet). I knew 2 people that were able to get into the business for some smaller companies and even though they did well, they ended up leaving the business because they could not get a position at one of the bigger companies.

It seems like one of those jobs that would be great to have but who knows....maybe its not that fun when you actually have the job. It sure looks better than sitting in an office pounding a keyboard like a monkey all day!

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

Is there a particular company that you are looking at? The majority of the big companies have an employment or careers link on their website. You don't often see rep jobs listed here but they will list customer service openings. You can also get a hold reps in your area. The head pro at your course should have a list of contact info for the reps. Unfortunately, you can't really "fall back" on a position like this. It is a tough position to obtain and most of the time when one opens up, the companies hire within or target reps from other companies. I don't mean to be negative. It is great to see that you have the drive to start early. It is very important in this business. Just like any job, you have to start small and work your way up the majority of the time. Let us know if you have other questions.

TL

not a particular company at the moment but if i never end up playing for a career i want to do something in this line of work so im looking into it now. so it would be a good idea to talk to some reps? cuz we have a rep from callaway coming to fit my pro at the course for his new equipment soon so i could talk to him and get some advice from him? thanks for the help tlflanders

It never hurts to ask. I know some reps that will hire college students as their demo reps. It makes it easier for them becuase there are no ties to particular courses and it makes it easy because it is most often a seasonal position. I am off to the course right now so PM me if you have any other questions.

TL

I know a few of the tour reps around and one who is on the PGA and Nationwide Tours and they are in general great relationship builders and listen to what each player needs or requests.

It is a tough job from what I saw when I was out there as a caddy for a couple of years. Its not as easy as it looks but like has been mentioned earlier you might try to get in with an up and coming company who wants to get out to the Nationwide, LPGA, Champions or PGA Tours with their product.

I am in the process of becoming a Rep and I went the Inside route. I have been with Srixon for what will be 2 years in June. But you due your time on the inside, get to know the regionals, customers, executives, product line, then as positions open up you move out. The down side...CS in the golf industry is high stress low pay...why? because they can fill these positions for peanuts because Rep job are good and this is the best way to get one. So you have to be willing to suffer for 2-5 years (depending on what compnay you are with).

As for becoming a Tour Rep....not as easy (not that becoming on outside rep is easy). Simple supply and demand...there are not alot of Tour jobs....and a ton more people who want them. For example Srixon has three PGA tour reps (one is part of Srixon Japan, so really only 2), One for LPGA and one for Nationwide. Since these people like their jobs, they dont leave very often, and it usually pays well.

Again for example at Srixon...since Srixon started its inside sales program there have been 5 inside reps looking to get outside...3 are now gone. In that same time we have one guy who has been here for about 4 years trying to be a Tour rep...he still has the same job with no signs of going on the tour anytime soon. Also be ready to travel all year if you are looking to be a tour rep, Nationwide season is shorter so the Nationwide rep doesnt travel as much, but the 2 full time PGA tour guys only have 3 weeks a year they are not on the road (last 3 weeks in december).

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w NEWTON MOTION SHAFT 6 DOT
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK C-TAPER 120 BLACK
Wedges: RTX6 50* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

What are these reps pulling in for $$$$ ball park Annually?

Depends on the company...some rep jobs are all salary, some are salary/commison, independents are 100% commison.

Depending on the company. I know some that do around 200,000 + and some who do 25,000. It really depends on who you work for. My opinion Titleist would be the best job. They have several reps. Some do balls, shoes and clubs. Some do only two and some are only balls. Thats the cake job. Its not like you have to sell anything because how many pro shops say no to Titleist balls. "No thanks, we dont have any call for Prov's. lol Inside CS is your best bet. Good Luck, G :blink:

thanks. yea Titleist would most likely be my number one choice to work for.

Titliest is great to work for if you want to make a lot of money and offer a product that every shops wants....but who wants that job? :blink: