2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tiger gives greenside interview!

WanderDukeCubs

Since he was villified in about a 3 page thread for not agreeing to the post round interview at the matchplay, I figured it was news worthy that after his 73 today he did agree to the dumb greenside interview after his round. He said was horrible in every mental and physical phase of the game today. Since he was a classless, poor sport crybaby when he passed on the interview :tongue: , I'd like to congratulate him on being a true sportsman, a hero, and an excellent role model to children for giving the interview today :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is in a tie for 13th with two days left to play. Let's see the interview on Sunday after going from a 2 stroke lead to the consolation prize with a 73. :tongue: I personally don't think his class, sportsmanship, and role modeling career are hinged on the greenside interview...especially when he's still heavily favored to win the tournament. :D

:hi:

The guy is in a tie for 13th with two days left to play. Let's see the interview on Sunday after going from a 2 stroke lead to the consolation prize with a 73. :tongue: I personally don't think his class, sportsmanship, and role modeling career are hinged on the greenside interview...especially when he's still heavily favored to win the tournament. :D

what does hinge on the greenside interview is hilarity...tiger is one of the funniest guys EVER...not just playing golf...DRY humor...

at least i broke 80???

what was bad? well, my driving, putting, irons, pitching, chipping, metal game, and i parked crooked in the parking space this morning???

i am going to go run it out???

i just wish there was a place to download all his interviews

what does hinge on the greenside interview is hilarity...tiger is one of the funniest guys EVER...not just playing golf...DRY humor...

at least i broke 80???

what was bad? well, my driving, putting, irons, pitching, chipping, metal game, and i parked crooked in the parking space this morning???

i am going to go run it out???

i just wish there was a place to download all his interviews

Very, very dry--I do love it when he does riff a little more, not just giving the cliched golfer responses (love the guy but *cough* mickelson). I'm sure that you tube has at least some of the interviews.

Agreed his humor is quite funny.

I happen to like the dry humor...word is his pretty damn funny outside the golf course, and he does like to throw out the jabs and trash talk with his friends.

A lot of elite athletes I have worked with or met have a similar sense of humor.

It's a shame we don't see "more" of Tiger's personality in his interviews.

But in his defence, he gets slammed when he opens up....we have the media to thank for his current PC cliched responses.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Gimme a break. My classless, crybaby, selfish jackWord not allowed opinion of him still stands. The interview in itself does not make him a class act. He's an actor and a media puppet who just happens to be the #1 golfer in the world. Get over him.

You want class and being a role model? Go back into the archives and listen to Payne Stewart after the '98 Open, or Tom Watson in both victory and defeat. I never saw them cuss and bang clubs and push people out of the way when things aren't going their way.

OK, Beruo, thank you for the English lesson...I'll recant by saying "my opinion of him as a classless, crybaby, selfish jackWord not allowed still stands."

Happy?

I'm just a little agitated by people still falling all over themselves for this guy. I'm so sick and tired of them treating the rest of the PGA Tour like 155 worthless peons and Tiger is their supreme being. Please!

OK, Beruo, thank you for the English lesson...I'll recant by saying "my opinion of him as a classless, crybaby, selfish jackWord not allowed still stands."

Happy?

I'm just a little agitated by people still falling all over themselves for this guy. I'm so sick and tired of them treating the rest of the PGA Tour like 155 worthless peons and Tiger is their supreme being. Please!

Less an English lesson, more calling out the irony of calling someone else classless while adding "crybaby" and "selfish jackWord not allowed." I think the original premise to this thread is flawed. I don't think Tiger, or any player should be praised for deigning to give a greenside interview and that the players should be working hard to make their fans happy (taking a note from the LPGA players).

Also, your original post was all I quoted. To address your modification, you know that Payne Stewart wasn't always the people's champion, right? Used to be that he refused to sign autographs. It wasn't until after seeing his wife apologize for his behavior outside Augusta did he change his attitude toward his fans. It's too bad that he wasn't able to continue that example. Tom Watson though? Can't argue that one...the guy is just as cool as they come. :tongue:

Understood...I don't know the guy personally but the vast majority of displays I've seen from him have formed that opinion and I don't see it changing, especially with the media cramming him down my throat and into every orifice at every opporunity they can concievably find.

Payne had his days as a less-than-desirable character and I will certainly acknowledge that, as has my golfing hero Fred Couples. Payne made a conscious effort to turn his attitude around though, and Fred has apologized as well for things he's said and done in the past. Until Tiger does something similar, my opinion will remain as-is.

Tom Watson...you're right, nuff said...everybody should conduct themselves like him.

Payne had his days as a less-than-desirable character and I will certainly acknowledge that, as has my golfing hero Fred Couples. Payne made a conscious effort to turn his attitude around though, and Fred has apologized as well for things he's said and done in the past. Until Tiger does something similar, my opinion will remain as-is.

Payne didn't have his "transformation" until his late 30's early 40's. Tiger is 31. I'd like to know if you were as harsh to your boy Payne when he was 31 as you are Tiger. Thats probably close to the time Stewart was making the choke signs behined the 18th green of the 89 PGA when Mike Reid was handing him his first major. Comment?

In one of your earlier rants you said something about being tired of Tiger being treated like he's the supreme being of the PGA Tour. If Tiger Woods isn't the definition of "Supreme Being" of an organization, I'd like to hear what your's is.

If Tiger is so mature for his age, then he'll make his transformation sooner than Payne.

My "supreme being" comment ties in with a little saying I have about Tiger: He's good, he's not God...and I wish everybody would get a grip on that.

Tiger at 31 is lightyears ahead of Payne Stewart at 31 in terms of maturity. I don't think even the purest of Tiger haters (well, maybe you) will be able to disagree with that statement.

"he's good, he's not god".....After which major did you lay sleepless thinking up that catchy tag?

Light years ahead of Payne? I won't even dignify that one with an answer, and as for my tag, I didn't lose any sleep after any major, except possibly after watching Fred Couples blow last year's Masters, but that was justified because he should have won.

Tiger has raised the bar and consistently outperformed his competition, I'll attest to that. But the media should not lord him over us and the rest of the Tour, and the fact that he still acts like a child out there when things don't go his way remains. Period.

Payne was far worse than Tiger.

I'll "dignify" the earlier claim with a quote. Search for 10 seconds and you'll find about 2 dozen articles about how Stewart was a complete jerk until his final years.

Those who know and love him (Payne Stewart) say the 42-year-old Missourian used to be "rude" (his mother), "arrogant" (his wife), "impatient and not very self-confident" (his caddie), "anxious and hyper" (his sports shrink) and an all-around Payne in the a$s (Stewart himself). That describes the fellow who won the 1991 U.S. Open at Hazeltine. He bore no resemblance at all to the chap who won the Open on Sunday, slipping past his playing partner, Phil Mickelson, by a stroke in a Father's Day scramblefest on the famed and treacherous Pinehurst No. 2 course.

Hey - it's great that he figured himself out, but sheesh. Great competitors get hot on the course, after losses, etc... Everyone can't shrug their shoulders while choking again and again like Couples did...

I'll take a few short interviews to be able to watch the kind of golf he plays, and the kind of golf he's inspired other tour players to play.

1 Major? His entire career? And that Master's he choked as well - the ball hanging up on that hill is STILL one of the few unexplained mysteries of the universe.

Seriously though I love Freddy. It's just that Freddy doesn't have the drive to do the things Tiger has done. Tiger's earned a pass for a few terse interviews. That's holding him up to a standard that nobody else is held to.

Hey, sometimes you need a good break to win...Fred, like all great players, has usually taken advantage of those good breaks and held on to win (i.e., '92)...and speaking of gifts, how many tournaments/majors do you think Tiger's been handed on silver platters? He gets within 2 or 3 of the lead and the field goes braindead. That's inexcusable.

Sure, sometimes you need a break to win. But Tiger has won a lot more than 1 major.

Freddy won the Vardon and had player of the year, what, twice? And a single major to show for it?

I'll take drive and determination and dozens of majors over relaxed and laid back and backing into ONE major any day.

One of the reasons Tiger has so many fans is that he's one of the first players ever that you can be a fan of and pretty much watch him be in contention in every event he plays. If you were a big Freddy fan, half the time he misses the cut.

Again, I love Couples, but your slamming Tiger for not being more like Stewart and Freddie is just way off base. Stewart was obviously worse than Tiger for years and years, and Freddy's easy going nature, while less apt to cause a bad interview, is also less apt to succeed as is evidenced by his disappointing performances in big tournaments.

Personally I think it's more of a Phil vs Tiger thing. Do you prefer the never-ending, fake-like smile and positive slant that Phil gives everything? Or do you like a more volatile, up-and-down player who feeds off momentum and treats every failure like he's just blown the biggest tourney of the year - and responds to interviews as such?

I'll take the second... Golf is boring enough without having to listen to players shrug their shoulders and say "I gave it my best" after shooting 78 on Sunday to lose by a stroke...

I understand your position, Deac, but remember the '03 Houston Open? For anybody who ever said Freddie doesn't care, etc., America saw that day just how much he does care. I truly think his health being such an issue caused him to lose confidence in himself, and the type of person he is naturally only accentuated that when he'd get into a slump.

I would take Freddie every day over any pro because he has a presence and a swagger that's unmistakable and a swing that I'd give a year's pay for.

Light years ahead of Payne? I won't even dignify that one with an answer

Yes, lightyears. I wouldn't try to respond to that one either if I was on your side of the argument.

And when your speaking of these "childish acts", just pop in a tape of that 89 PGA Championship in which you chose not to respond to.

Fred, like all great players, has usually taken advantage of those good breaks and held on to win (i.e., '92)...and speaking of gifts, how many tournaments/majors do you think Tiger's been handed on silver platters? He gets within 2 or 3 of the lead and the field goes braindead. That's inexcusable.

Is that why Couples has half the majors as John Daly? Because he has "Usually taken advantage of those good breaks and held on to win"?

However, I do see your point about people handing Tiger major's, the fact that he has NEVER come from behined on Sunday to win a major supports your claim.