2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wolf Dancer! Near Austin

developtech

This golf course is only eight months old and it is already one of the nicest golf courses I have ever played. It is a beautiful track with the first twelve holes being classic Texas hill country golf and the last six holes being more links style of golf. While mixing styles is usually a mistake this course flows perfectly with the terrain.

There are no tricks to this golf course other than tough to read greens, it just plays very difficultly. Omar Uresti holds the course record with 2 under from the tips. He returned a week after setting the record and shot a couple over. Bring your A game!

Hyatt has spent a lot of money to buy a beautiful piece of land and then build a quality golf course and resort on the property. It is well worth the fee which was $79.00 through golf512.com. They have tee times for as low as $49.50 posted as well at the time of this writing.

Highlights include:

• Free driving range with music playing
  • knowledgeable forecaddy who did a great job working us around the course
  • Best in cart GPS system I have used
  • comfortable clubhouse
  • stunning views on a number of holes
  • full service resort with amenities for the whole family
  • twenty minutes from the airport

If you are in the area this is a can't miss!

James

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf512 or Cypress Golf Solutions is the worst thing to hit the golf industry. I understand that you get a reduced green fee. You have tto understand that if the facility deeply discounts it's green fee, something has got to give. And what is going to give is the budget. The same great conditions that you had, will have to go down with the decrease in budget. That's just the cold hard facts, there's no getting around it.

I've seen CGS and their pitch and I've seen what their "solution" does to facilities. Needless to say I'm not impressed.

I am sorry I highjacked your thread. I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed the golf course. In no way do I blame you. I blame the gc management for not using their head and thinking through the decision to work with CGS.

RNF,

I appreciate your position and from a business stand point I can certainly see your objection. My rebuttal, even though I have no interest in the business of it is this; do you think the management of the facility are happy to have a discounted round occasionally when they do not have a full schedule of full price rounds? Remember that Wolf Dancer is only eight months old and needs to build a client base. They are also a resort course so the need to reach out to the locals will require the occasional discount, which should not hurt their budget because I am sure the fee and budget is based mostly upon hotel guests playing the course. If your objection is that these services get us as golfers to play for less money and therefore skew the budgeting of these courses, wouldn't it be the management's responsibility to change their offers? Just a thought.

Wolf Dancer-Great Golfing Experience!!!

Golf512 or Cypress Golf Solutions is the worst thing to hit the golf industry. I understand that you get a reduced green fee. You have tto understand that if the facility deeply discounts it's green fee, something has got to give. And what is going to give is the budget. The same great conditions that you had, will have to go down with the decrease in budget. That's just the cold hard facts, there's no getting around it.

I've seen CGS and their pitch and I've seen what their "solution" does to facilities. Needless to say I'm not impressed.

I am sorry I highjacked your thread. I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed the golf course. In no way do I blame you. I blame the gc management for not using their head and thinking through the decision to work with CGS.

I will admit I have no first hand knowledge of the business practices of a golf course, and I have no ties to either Golf 512 or CGS, but a couple of thoughts occurred to me after reading your post. First, as a consumer I would disagree with your assertion that the discounted booking services are the worst thing to hit the golf industry. I have used Golf512 on numerous occasions and have played on days and courses I normally would not have because I was able to take advantage of a last minute opening at a discounted rate.

Second, no one forces courses to sign an agreement to participate with these or similar services; I assume courses do it because they would rather generate some revenue from what would otherwise be a unused tee time generating no revenue. You assert that a discounted green fee has a negative effect on the budget, which will ultimately result in declining playing conditions. I would submit that no revenue at all from an unused tee time is going to have a significantly greater impact on the budget than a "discounted" green fee.

Third, I have no idea what the markup on green fees is, but I would think the course is able to negotiate the amount of the discount so that they are at least covering their operating costs. If that is not the case and the "discounted" green fee is less than their operating costs than the course management can choose not to sign an agreement and participate. At that point you still have the problem that unused tee times generate no revenue and the course is still not going to meet their budget and cover their operating costs.

I realize that the discounted booking services have to make money off the transaction as well and that means the course is making less than they would otherwise. The discounted booking services are not the problem since the golf course management makes the decision whether to participate or not, the problem is how does the course attract sufficient number of golfers to fill the requisite number of tee times to generate sufficient revenue to cover its operating costs.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

• 3 months later...

** Bad news about a great course. **

Played it for the first time May 5th. The course was in terrific shape, tees, fairways, bunkers and greens in perfect condition.

Played it the second time July 1st and was very dissapointed. I don't know what happened but it was like the course has been ignored and the greens scalped to rediculous lengths. Every green on the course had sand holes up to 3" deep (sunken) in the greens that made putting impossible. I have seen better conditioning on bad muni's. The bunkers (which are everywhere) always played like no one has bothered raking or maintaining them for weeks. The fairways were not as bad, but greenside there were weeds and other grasses left to grow for no reason.

It broke me and my playing partners heart and is not worth the money paid. This is one the best and most difficult designed courses in Texas and we absolutely loved it the first time. After my return visit I would not ever play it again until I was assured by the pro that the course has been brought back up to speed.

I know the hill country has had a lot of rain and the river that borders 17 and 18 was at least 20 feet above normal levels, but the rest of the course sits 150+ above this and showed no signs of water damage anywhere.

I know the hill country has had a lot of rain and the river that borders 17 and 18 was at least 20 feet above normal levels, but the rest of the course sits 150+ above this and showed no signs of water damage anywhere.

Boy - that's the understatemnt of the year! I'm sure they have had problems getting their heavy lawn equipment out on the course to mow and clean up the place due to the excessive rains. Also, it's been raining almost everyday! The crews are not going to go out a fix up bunkers, etc until the rain stops - at least for a while. Why rebuild a bunker just to have heavy rains wash the sand back down to the bottom. As for the greens, Wolf Dancer aerified a few weeks ago. The heavy rains have washed the sand either off the greens or further down the aerifaction holes than it usually goes. I've seen this on several courses in Houston. Again, once the rain stops...they will likey have to top dress the greens again with sand to refill the holes.

• 2 years later...