2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pretty cool Slo-mo video

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD,

I would say that is light years ahead of most one year old swings I've seen. I "could" sit here and pick it apart, and would likely end up saying very little. What I suspect may be much more revealing in your particular case is a DTL video if/when you have the chance. To my feeble eye there is a potential issue with the shoulder turn, and perhaps with the right arm at the top.... but that observation may be way off base and only discernible from down the line.

So what are your typical ball flights like?

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1412314543' post='10228281']
DD,

I would say that is light years ahead of most one year old swings I've seen. I "could" sit here and pick it apart, and would likely end up saying very little. What I suspect may be much more revealing in your particular case is a DTL video if/when you have the chance. To my feeble eye there is a potential issue with the shoulder turn, and perhaps with the right arm at the top.... but that observation may be way off base and only discernible from down the line.

[/quote]

Normal ball flight is higher than most others I play with, I play a fade but sometimes when I do I'll hit the ball dead straight missing the green it target 15yds left. I can draw the ball at the range, by I haven't built up enough confidence in that to use on the course. I used to have and still do have a small problem with Fat shots.. Used to be 1 time a hole, the. Went to 1 time every 3 hole, then 1 time every 9 then I went a few rounds without one. But they still come up from time to time.

What is the DTL video you speak of?

DTL is short for down the line. Just means having video from a down the shot line perspective, looking towards the target.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

DD,

[/quote]

What is your insight about the shoulder turn issue?

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate it very much! Now if only I could putt.. Lol

[quote name='Daddy_Danglez' timestamp='1412608097' post='10243093']
DD,

[/quote]

What is your insight about the shoulder turn issue?

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate it very much! Now if only I could putt.. Lol
[/quote]

I hear you about the putting! Just so you know - this forum has lots of good putting help too. You can even post up videos face on and down-the-line of your putting and you can expect many folks to serve up some help.

The shoulder turn isn't "yet" something I can comment on with any certainty...as it might falsely put a concern in mind that shouldn't really be there. The only thing I notice is something very good that you do, which I "think" could be made easier. Again it is difficult to say without the down-the-line view but you do a good job of getting the trail elbow (your right side since your are batting right handed here)...to pass in front of your trail hip through impact. And while many golfers turn the shoulders too level with the horizon -- you "appear" to turn them 90 degrees to you spine -- which is also good thing. What caught my eye was that your right elbow looks from this angle to wander WAY high and behind you AT THE TOP of your backswing. I can't see it from this angle if that's true or just my perception of it. I can't see where your right shoulder is exactly since it disappears behind your neck/head. There are some golfers who somehow manage to dip the left shoulder under the chin which gives the appearance of a great shoulder turn and some who excessively fly the right elbow high and away from the body at the top of the swing -- and some who do both.

The fact that your right elbow makes it back down and in front of the right hip going into and through the strike indicates that regardless of what you may be doing I can't see, you are probably OK. Even though you may or may not be a little off up there - you evidently have found out how to compensate for it. If you happen to be having this problem - my suggestions (after seeing it) would be along the lines of how to make things a little simpler. If the right elbow is more or less under the handle and the right forearm stands more or less vertical between the elbow and handle at the top -- then most golfers much more easily control the flight of the ball. Its from that position that they learn to curve the ball at will and flight the ball higher and lower.

Fat shots can have many root causes. At the end of the day, the distance from the sternum down to the ball is some specific measurable distance and that distance is filled up by the arms and the club. Very often the golfer loses his spine tilts (primary and secondary tilt).... he may have started with that distance being defined at address but then his chest rises and alternately dips back down during the swing and the fat or thin shots appear. As said there can be many reasons such as locking up and restricting the hip turn going back and expecting the arms to do all the work alone. So if the spine were thought of an axle - the turn around it allow the arms to almost go for a ride with the handle spending LOTS of time in front of the chest and the wrists can remain relaxed and just freely unhinge. This is where that crazy feeling comes from sometimes when you hit it a mile and felt like you swung smooth and easy. There is something incredible which happens when the swing is rotational around a stable spine (one that is setup well) and the wrists are allowed to unhinge without violently throwing the handle "at" the ball.

Are you fine just like you are right now? Probably so in my book. The way you turn more that sway and the way your right elbow works through impact look really good.

Is there a possibility that things "could be" made a little easier and more repeatable for you? Maybe -- but it would depend on what the down-the-line view reveals. You are clearly athletic. You have a rather advanced swing for no longer than you've played golf. So one approach would be to forget all this turning, spine angle, elbow crapola and just go enjoy doing what you do right now. Who knows in another year -- you might just be one of those natural golfers who "gets it" without every having to worry about what "it" is!

You're certainly welcome and no I would only pass along what I so often do.... If you don't have a copy of Ben Hogan's book (The Modern Fundamentals of Golf - 5 Lessons) - I wouldn't hesitate to beg, borrow, or steal a copy. No one I know of has ever copied his swing and to me it would be futile to try to be Ben Hogan. BUT he wrote a really good book with a great roadmap for all golfers to improve. He didn't write it trying to make everyone else do exactly what he does -- instead he wrote in a voice that speaks to the masses in ways they can improve their own individual game. (big difference).

Otherwise -- I would say go have fun and enjoy all the "stuff" like pitching, chipping, putting - enjoy experimenting with trajectory and 3/4 swings, choking down.... just exploring things.... its a great journey and tons of fun. The golf world is all yours my friend. Have a blast!