2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mike Emery's Evolved Fundamentals of Golf (Review)

drewtaylor21

Just purchased the Mike Emery book and have been reading and applying the principles for about two rounds so far. Results have been eye opening. I too am a big fan of George Gankas's teachings primarily through Instagram. Mike's beliefs parallel those of George. He not only explains the WHAT to do, but also WHY it works. For me he dispelled many misconceptions re swing. This is a very thoughtful and comprehensive description of the golf swing. Well worth the money. Highly recommended.

Most detailed and complete instruction I've seen for a specific swing pattern. Well done Mike!

Thank you so much!!! I am so happy that you enjoyed it. I have spent my whole life trying to figure out exactly how the body works to create the most consistent and efficient golf swing possible. It is great to see qualified opinions enjoy the effort. Thank you!!!

Most detailed and complete instruction I've seen for a specific swing pattern. Well done Mike!

Thank you so much!!! I am so happy that you enjoyed it. I have spent my whole life trying to figure out exactly how the body works to create the most consistent and efficient golf swing possible. It is great to see qualified opinions enjoy the effort. Thank you!!!

Can we have a look at that swing?

Thank you. I will put up a more recent when I get a chance

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in the thoughts of others who have read the book and are applying Mikes approach. Specifically how the wrists work.

Mike favours cupped wrists at the top with the club in a 'laid off position' - p 68.

In the flexion release section he says that the trail shoulder externally rotates, there is adduction of the trail arm, supination of the trail forearm and hyperextension of the trail wrist. This is created by 'frisbee flexion' (a combination of ulnar deviation and palmar flexion) of the lead wrist which forces the trail wrist into hyper extension. p32 & 88,89.

He goes on to say that 'The importance of both wrists cupping now becomes apparent. Had the lead wrist been flat or bowed at the top of the backswing, we would lose much of this accelaration and hyperextension because we do not have enough range of motion remaining in the left (lead) wrist'.

I was trying this out and comparing it with the Joe Dante early backward wrist break.

It seems to me that they both achieve the same thing regarding impact but the JD method achieves the required wrist positions at the start whereas the ME method achieves it as part of the downswing move.

The range of club head motion appears the same yet I can see that the ME method may increase acceleration. However it introduces an additional move in the downswing which requires some extra timing.

Unfortunately I've a slight shoulder injury which has kept me away from the range but I have been able to try the two approaches with a weighted shaft and prefer the JD approach. It may be that using the JD approach is easier because I can concentrate on other aspects of the swing approaching impact. Once that becomes embedded I may try the ME approach.

Sorry if it's a bit convoluted but would appreciate the thought of anyone familiar with both approaches.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

I learned the swing the way Emery espouses when talking about the wrist action. I find it natural but again, this is the way I was taught the game. Now having the left wrist and forearm in a position like throwing a frisbee is a new way for me to think of it but basically it boils down to being able to swing as hard as you want and not worry about closing the face, since the wrist has "bottomed out".

As far as closing the wrist down at the top ala DJ, I've tried it but felt it restricted my backswing a bit and never felt comfortable in doing so. However, had I been taught this when learning to play I would accept it as normal and not have an issue.

I don't know if this has answered your question Milly, but I figured you'd at least have comfort in knowing your posts have been read.

Cheers mate :drinks:

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I learned the swing the way Emery espouses when talking about the wrist action. I find it natural but again, this is the way I was taught the game. Now having the left wrist and forearm in a position like throwing a frisbee is a new way for me to think of it but basically it boils down to being able to swing as hard as you want and not worry about closing the face, since the wrist has "bottomed out".

As far as closing the wrist down at the top ala DJ, I've tried it but felt it restricted my backswing a bit and never felt comfortable in doing so. However, had I been taught this when learning to play I would accept it as normal and not have an issue.

I don't know if this has answered your question Milly, but I figured you'd at least have comfort in knowing your posts have been read.

Cheers mate :drinks:

Thanks for the response, I could see the post was being read but no replies. Wondered if I'd made it too complicated.

I've always flipped at the ball and 'bottoming out' the wrist as you say does allow swinging as hard as you want. It maybe that the JD way of doing it is what I need as an interim measure to overcome the desire to flip. It does make the backswing feel restricted as you say, not for me in terms of amount of turn, but because there is less feeling in the hands because the club has already been set in position.

I think it stems from being taught the 'one piece takeaway' and the later wrist set - as JD says it produces an open face at the top which has to be closed to a square position on the downswing to square the club. Because of other failings I then flipped. It seems there are 4 options;

The one piece takeaway.

Then we have the pre-set wrist break like in the Faldo drill. Some folks describe achieving this by rotating the forearms before the turn which means they are going to have to rotate back on the downswing.

JD, on the other hand achieves the 'square face' through just wrist action without independant forearm rotation. The club is then squared more by the pivot which feels really powerful.

Achieve the wrist set after transition, the ME way

Appreciate the reply, got me thinking a bit more.

Have a virtual beer on me mate.

Best regards.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

• 7 years later...