2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wie WD's (with an update from Tim Rosaforte)

golfdigest

I dont get it, whats so young about 17 years old? If shes 12 or 13, I could understand being controlled by "handlers" and managers, and the pressure, but there isnt a 17 year old on earth that cant make that decision by his or herself.

and if you can play top level golf, I dont get why you would risk losing so much just to be a teenager.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if she's old enough to cash million dollar endorsement checks....she's old enough to be held accountable for her decisions.

period.

VERY well said. Here's my view- I'm 17. I only WISH I had the kind of talent and opportunity she's getting. I would give up everything I have as a "normal" teenager to be able to play at the level she's at and be able to cash those kind of cheques. She's not that young anymore. At 17, you should be old enough to take care of yourself and make your own decisions.

shes 17 but shes had to grow up awfully fast...shes not a normal 17 year old like we all were when we were that age. shes been through a ton more and has had to mature quickly. i think she should be making her own decisions. i also am surprised at how she hasnt seemed to notice what critics think of her...they have reason to be so critical of her. i have no doubt in my mind that she withdrew for fear of shooting 88+. there isn't room for that on the lpga or pga tours. IMO shes a freak of nature because of how (physically) big she is and how hard she can swing the golf club. thats about it. thats the barebones for becoming a solid golfer. but shes NO WHERE near that point yet. i could see her having success in 5-10 years, but not yet.

She is "being 17" right now, doing stupid things, acting tough when the reality is she is obviously fragile, allowing herself to be run around by her parents...

We all did very stupid stuff when we were 17, I know I did, but not on this level.

She might be set for life with this crap, who wouldn't do the same thing? She'll be wealthy enough to get over a lot of hurdles and embarrassment this creates.

Maybe she could team up with Danica Patrick from some synergistic marketing opportunities, or maybe a buddy movie or sitcom. ESPN, I'm positive of it, would drool at the opportunity.

Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Danica Patrick

I feel very sorry for her. She should have had a fantastic time as a teenager with no responsibilities enjoying golf with her friends, before doing a golfing sponsorship at University.

Instead thanks to her ignorant parents she now has the world on her young shoulders and will never ever live up to her obdvious potential.

Speaking for myself and not GD...

I am somewhat amazed that there seems to be people, other than another 17 year old, who think that the average 17 year old is capable of making the kind of business and career decisions that Michelle Wie faces. For the most part (with a few exceptions) 17 year olds are a bunch of pimply face hormone driven kids, who as it should be, want a carefree no responsibility life.

While they do exist, it is rare to find a kid her age who can handle by themselves the kind of weight that is on her shoulders.

Insanity is hereditary. In most cases you get it from your parents!

While I agree with you that most 17 y/o's are pimply faced and hormone driven.....Michelle Wie does not/has not lived the typical life of the majority of kids that are 17. She has lived the nomadic life of a professional golfer for a few years already. She has practiced and played golf as a "professional" amateur for all of this decade. I would imagine that high school football games, trips to the mall with friends, and making prank phone calls to boys in the middle of the night weren't anywhere near her radar. She was too busy honing her game, negotiating endorsements contracts, filming asian tv commercials, etc. etc.

It's not as if she woke up one day in 2005 and said...hey...I think I'll turn pro today.

One of the most interesting articles about Michelle Wie. More interesting now... .....IMO.

Greed got the best of the Wie family. Now more than ever.... Flavor%20Flav.jpg ........ don't believe the hype.

While I agree with you that most 17 y/o's are pimply faced and hormone driven.....Michelle Wie does not/has not lived the typical life of the majority of kids that are 17. She has lived the nomadic life of a professional golfer for a few years already. She has practiced and played golf as a "professional" amateur for all of this decade. I would imagine that high school football games, trips to the mall with friends, and making prank phone calls to boys in the middle of the night weren't anywhere near her radar. She was too busy honing her game, negotiating endorsements contracts, filming asian tv commercials, etc. etc.

It's not as if she woke up one day in 2005 and said...hey...I think I'll turn pro today.

[...]

All the more reason she is not as prepared as even a "normal" 17 year old for the decisions and repsonsibilities she faces. All of those things are what, in part, prepare you for your future.

Life is what prepares you for the future. MW has missed a great part of her life.

[...]

All the more reason she is not as prepared as even a "normal" 17 year old for the decisions and repsonsibilities she faces. All of those things are what, in part, prepare you for your future.

Life is what prepares you for the future. MW has missed a great part of her life.

Missing out on your childhood or what you think is a good/bad childhood is relative. Some kids grow up in golf and that's all they want to do. They set their goals and do what it takes to achieve them. Most successful athletes devote quite a lot of time to developing their talent and skills. Some kids choose to practice all summer long....some choose to lay around the pool and do nothing. The kids that chose to waste their summers on the driving range and putting green, I bet they say they had a great childhood....I know I did. But look back at the junior/amateur careers of some of the top players on the PGA/LPGA tours. They lived the same lifestyle (to a certain extent) as Michelle Wie and seem to be taking it all in stride, have their wits about them, make sound decisions, and are successful....if not more successful than she. Creamer and Pressel come to mind pretty quickly. Both in their teens (I think Creamer may be hitting 20 soon) have had successful amateur careers and made a positive showing on the LPGA tour. They are both competitive and solid.....there is no gimmick. They both have endorsement contracts that I'm sure are worth some huge bank. The difference I see is that they take their success in stride and don't try to be something they are not. Now I will give you that the media hasn't created the circus side-show around them that they created for Michelle Wie. But that's when parental guidance steps in. Wie parents threw her into the fire.....they created this mess. But Michelle Wie, based on her personal interviews, bought into her own hype and is as delusional as her parents are.

[...]

Missing out on your childhood or what you think is a good/bad childhood is relative. Some kids grow up in golf and that's all they want to do. They set their goals and do what it takes to achieve them. Most successful athletes devote quite a lot of time to developing their talent and skills. Some kids choose to practice all summer long....some choose to lay around the pool and do nothing. The kids that chose to waste their summers on the driving range and putting green, I bet they say they had a great childhood....I know I did. But look back at the junior/amateur careers of some of the top players on the PGA/LPGA tours. They lived the same lifestyle (to a certain extent) as Michelle Wie and seem to be taking it all in stride, have their wits about them, make sound decisions, and are successful....if not more successful than she. Creamer and Pressel come to mind pretty quickly. Both in their teens (I think Creamer may be hitting 20 soon) have had successful amateur careers and made a positive showing on the LPGA tour. They are both competitive and solid.....there is no gimmick. They both have endorsement contracts that I'm sure are worth some huge bank. The difference I see is that they take their success in stride and don't try to be something they are not. Now I will give you that the media hasn't created the circus side-show around them that they created for Michelle Wie. But that's when parental guidance steps in. Wie parents threw her into the fire.....they created this mess. But Michelle Wie, based on her personal interviews, bought into her own hype and is as delusional as her parents are.

I beg to differ.

I was an accomplished athlete at one time (20 years and 100 pounds ago) and know many, many athletes (some Olympians and professionals) and although all worked on their game most did not miss out on their "childhood." The most successful certainly did not. Tiger Woods did not loose his childhood. Creamer did not loose her childhood - she graduated from high school prior to moving onto the world stage. Most players on the LPGA/PGA tour did not live the life Wie is experiencing. Remember, she hit the big stage at thirteen! Players like Creamer, Gulbis, Woods, Howell, Pressel et. al. all emerged at the end or after their high school careers - some making it through accomplished college careers before going big time. Those experiences helped them develop emotionally into adults.

Wie is isolated from those experiences that a teen needs to experience to move onto adulthood. Without the experiences of adolescence Wie will be permanently "stuck" at thirteen.

We can, and should, just agree to disagree. I'll simply point out that my opinion on this very specific topic comes from professional training and experience, as well as personal experience. Take it for what it's worth, which being free, probably isn't much :partytime2:

[...]

I beg to differ.

I was an accomplished athlete at one time (20 years and 100 pounds ago) and know many, many athletes (some Olympians and professionals) and although all worked on their game most did not miss out on their "childhood." The most successful certainly did not. Tiger Woods did not loose his childhood. Creamer did not loose her childhood - she graduated from high school prior to moving onto the world stage. Most players on the LPGA/PGA tour did not live the life Wie is experiencing. Remember, she hit the big stage at thirteen! Players like Creamer, Gulbis, Woods, Howell, Pressel et. al. all emerged at the end or after their high school careers - some making it through accomplished college careers before going big time. Those experiences helped them develop emotionally into adults.

Wie is isolated from those experiences that a teen needs to experience to move onto adulthood. Without the experiences of adolescence Wie will be permanently "stuck" at thirteen.

We can, and should, just agree to disagree. I'll simply point out that my opinion on this very specific topic comes from professional training and experience, as well as personal experience. Take it for what it's worth, which being free, probably isn't much :partytime2:

Wie didn't lose out on her childhood. She took a different path and grew up differently than you and me.

Creamer, Gulbis, Woods, Howell, Pressel, Mickelson, etc. had uber successful amateur careers....more successful than Wie's. Most if not all played on the AJGA circuit (of which I also played). Those kids lived and breathed golf at 11 years old. They collected frequent flyer miles....most had tutors....they got all their equipment free......people were managing their careers (on the down low) well be before those kids were even in high school. None of them "lost" their childhood....they simply chose a different path than you or I. Look at Paula Creamer's amateur career -or any of the people listed for that matter- they didn't wait for high school graduation to step up to the plate. They had all been doing it for years....and again....more successfully than Wie. The only difference is when they decided to start accepting compensation for their efforts. They essentially played golf professionally before declaring professional status.

I am not sure how you know what adolescent experiences Wie has or hasn't had that would or wouldn't prepare her for adulthood. I can't make those lofty presumptions....I just take it for what it's worth. This is the path she chose. She has to make it work for her.

I agree to disagree. We all have past experiences to look back on. Congrats on your past accomplished athleticism. But be rest assured...you aren't the only one.

She's absolutely not ready to take on the life of a professional golfer.

She might have the game to do so 8 weeks out of the year, but for God sakes, did anyone else hear here in her media interview in the golf channel? Someone needed to pull her string because she just was not talking. You could tell she was having a tough time. I must've heard her say, "You know" close to infinity times.

This whole thing is way overblown. I think she would've received less overall flack about it if she just owned up to the whole thing or just WD'd after 9 holes.

Yes, withdrawing was smart if she thought she could finish or may do additional damage to her wrist. If she withdrew to avoid the 88 rule, that was wrong. Golf is an honest mans game, you need to be true to yourself.

One more thing, she shouldn't have played the pro-am on Monday. She should have just practiced at a nearby course in private.

Withdrawing was the smartest move her agent ever made...

[...]

I beg to differ.

We can, and should, just agree to disagree. I'll simply point out that my opinion on this very specific topic comes from professional training and experience, as well as personal experience. Take it for what it's worth, which being free, probably isn't much :D

Wie didn't lose out on her childhood. She took a different path and grew up differently than you and me.

Creamer, Gulbis, Woods, Howell, Pressel, Mickelson, etc. had uber successful amateur careers....more successful than Wie's. Most if not all played on the AJGA circuit (of which I also played). Those kids lived and breathed golf at 11 years old. They collected frequent flyer miles....most had tutors....they got all their equipment free......people were managing their careers (on the down low) well be before those kids were even in high school. None of them "lost" their childhood....they simply chose a different path than you or I. Look at Paula Creamer's amateur career -or any of the people listed for that matter- they didn't wait for high school graduation to step up to the plate. They had all been doing it for years....and again....more successfully than Wie. The only difference is when they decided to start accepting compensation for their efforts. They essentially played golf professionally before declaring professional status.

I am not sure how you know what adolescent experiences Wie has or hasn't had that would or wouldn't prepare her for adulthood. I can't make those lofty presumptions....I just take it for what it's worth. This is the path she chose. She has to make it work for her.

I agree to disagree. We all have past experiences to look back on. Congrats on your past accomplished athleticism. But be rest assured...you aren't the only one.

Golf isn't the problem, and it isn't what I'm talking about.

Woods, Pressel, Howell, Gulbus et. al. all had what would be considered "normal." They had friends, went to dances, interacted with their peers in social settings, had parents that allowed them to make decisions and shielded them, as any reasonable parent would, from predators. Based on what I have seen, each of those player's parents expected their children to take responsibility for their actions.

Wie is missing all of those things. It is unhealthy and developmentally stunting and it isn't because of golf, or whether or not Wie has decided to accept compensation.

I work with teens daily and my opinion actually has little to do with my athletic career but with training and professional experience (I thought I said that), but there is always a margin for error. So far, I have seen nothing that hints that I'm mistaken. Still, it is only an opinion based on nothing more than public events and public comments.

:censored2:

Speaking for myself and not GD, enemies seems a bit strong and questioning her character seems a little out of line to me. I could be wrong, but I don't think most see it that way. I think a level headed look at the facts coupled with the fact that she is a 17 year old child (get it? - a child!) says stop blaming her. I don't believe she is making these poor decisons. Others are doing it for her. Going away to college will probably be the best thing for her psyche and her golf career.

Myself and a few others have said or inferred what we think the biggest problem is - mismanagement, inteferring handlers, putting the almighty $$$ in front of accomplishment and the parents being sold an emotional con job by those chosen to represent and guide Michelle.

There is no doubt she is a brilliant talent. Let's hope others do not destroy it before it can blossom.

either way you slice it, it's a publicity nightmare (and i know a little something about that). Agreed, she is a great talent; however, when she gets another sponsor's exemption and then finally wins, is all forgotten? We shall see. Wish her all the best. When she is playing well, she adds to the mix of great talent on the LPGA: Annika, Paula, Karrie, Pressel, Kerr, Lincicome, among others. Great for the LPGA Tour. MEMO TO SELF: never snub pro-am guests of presenting sponsor. Smile and play golf.