2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers........Local Kine Grindz!

There are actual L&L restaurants here in Cali (at least Northern Cal). They don't have the full menu of the Hawaii L&L's like no beef stew, etc, but the BBQ Mix is pretty standard. Pretty tough to mess that up. Their katsu is also pretty much on par with the ones in Hawaii. There are other generic plate lunch places here that taste like a** (katsu with almost all breading). There was on place in Mountain View called "The Kitchen" that was good, but after they were bought out people have said they suck. Hukilau in San Jose and San Fran makes a good teri beef loco. Still get my fix when I go back to the rock, which usually means adding an extra 5 to 10 pounds.

Change is coming
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1127989-grant-the-tanks-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
:yes: Been eating at Kiawe Grill for years. I used to go to the one near Stadium Park all the time. Great burgers and I love the steak fries. We were just talking about that place recently. Now you made me ono for their food again.

Yeah...we started going there at work about four years ago. They have a branch in Kalihi near Diners. We've pretty much stopped though since the prices have seemed to go up and they've stopped giving us so much food. Two things that my guys at work need in a lunch....either cheap or heavy plates in the 3-4lb range. If we can get both..heaven!:D

A pretty good place we've been going to for lunch is Courtside Cafe across the street from Circuit Court on Halekauwila Street between Punchbowl and South and across from Acme Body Shop. Formerly the old "Roydens". On Mon/Wed/Fri they have some great grilled/smoked chicken. When they first opened, the pieces were huge and you would practically have a half of a large chicken. Now, they're a bit smaller but it's pretty worth it because it taste really good. They also do grilled steak on Mon/Fri but they do the weighing stuff that I can't stand. Everytime I see that, it turns me off...but again...it taste good, much better then the Blazing Steaks places so I'll forgive them for that and still partake. They're only open from 6am to 2pm/Mon-Friday. ;)

• 5 months later...

Just had to add to this topic.

Did some sightseeing on Maui. Actually went hunting for some hole in the wall places that the locals frequent. Started with T. Komoda Bakery and Store in Makawao for their creme puffs (all of this after the morning sunrise on Haleakala). Must say they are good both the vanilla and chocolate. They have a lot of other items also, its a really cool place.

Went down the road to Haiku and stopped at the Fukushima store. They are known for their hot dogs and chow fun. IMO, their hot dogs are better than Puka dogs, Hank's, and Costco. Nothing fancy, just a local hawaiian hot dog (the red kine), but their sauce and the Maui onions and the pickle (gotta try it) just make it so ono, also at $1.20 (used to be $1.00) you can pick up a bunch of em. We started with 2 each took more back to the condo and picked up more a few days later to bring back here. Girl in the store was just laughing, but understood our insanity. Oh, their chow fun is pretty good too.

Went to Ah Fook's in Kahului, to pick up portuguese sausage, but they were out of their cottage rolls (smoked pork). Stuff is better than Uncle Loui's. They also sell the Iwamoto undried saimin (see the next line about Sam Sato's).

For a late lunch, ate at Sam Sato's in Wailuku, had to try their dry mein. It's very good, and very filling, noodles have a good flavor and are heavy. The dashi is on the side. They do have regular saimin too. Be sure to go there hungry. There's always a line. They also sell manju and turnovers there.

Ended up at Takamiya market, just up the street from Sam Sato's in Wailuku. They have prepacked cooked food, in the wrapped styrofoam trays, almost anything you could want. Was to full to pick up any of that, but we did get their poke. Might be the best you can get on Maui. Fresh not prefrozen, and at $8.50 a pound it was a no brainer. They also have pre soaked meats that you can cook on the bbq, they didn't have smaller quantities so had to pass. But, this is definitely a place to stop when on a golf trip.

anyway, you can find info on these places online. May have to convince the gang to run by some of these on our next golf trip to Maui. Maybe I'll try uploading some pics later. Never tried that before.

• 8 months later...

Being new to Oahu, is there any updates to what has already been posted. How about Korean food, seafood, and steak places.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='BENNYSUPREME' date='02 June 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1275479261' post='2481721']
Being new to Oahu, is there any updates to what has already been posted. How about Korean food, seafood, and steak places.
[/quote]

Hmmmm..with all the eaters in this room...none being of anything close to a svelte appearance :tongue: you'd think this topic would be more popular! :D

Korean food....my faves recently are Cho Dang and Yuchan. Cho Dang is located on the corner of Piikoi and Kona Street near Ala Moana Shopping Center in that little corner lot. It's behind the shoe store. Reason being..its fairly cheap and the food is authentic in taste. I love their Kim Chee Stew. Yu Chan is located next door to Pro Am Golf Shop on King Street. Their black noodle and Kal bi is awesome. Try the black noodle in ice soup. Interesting taste, totally refreshing on a hot summer day. It's my favorite.

Steak.....for a total "local kine"/hole in the wall..go to Ray's Cafe on King street in the heart of Kalihi. Parking sucks, you might get in a fight :vava: Just kidding....my neighborhood's not that bad. :D Great food..prime rib at $14.00 a plate, Steak and Lobster $16 I think. Saturdays, ham hocks and beans is the best! If you want more $$$ fancy places, Sansei in Waikiki, Mortons in Ala Moana..all good too. Me..I like the gamier/seedier CHEAP places! More money for clubs that way. ;)

Personally, being a poor self employed person in the Airport Industrial Area, I go for the plate lunches. There's tons of lunch wagons that offer great daily specials, large portions and low prices. Driver's on Ohohia Street has great steak/shrimp plates and daily specials for under $10.

It seems my Saturday ritual has been the Roast Pork mixed plate from Alicia's with a side of their delicious Wasabi Masago Ahi Poke. If you're a mayo guy, they also have a good furikake salmon.

Happy Eats!

[quote name='da master 808' date='06 June 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1275900743' post='2491256']
Personally, being a poor self employed person in the Airport Industrial Area...[/quote]

Yeah..ummmm....AMG? Okay..I'll bite on the self employed..but I'll rawlf on the "poor". Tell me that again when you drive a Toyota. :tongue:

[quote name='da master 808' date='06 June 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1275900743' post='2491256']
Personally, being a poor self employed person...
[/quote]

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: I change golf clubs less than he changes luxury cars...OMG just one of his watches costs more than my whole golf bag...his golf shirt costs more than my entire outfit, including my shoes! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

At least his food & golf advice is legit :yes:

[quote name='pitbull808' date='07 June 2010 - 08:11 AM' timestamp='1275934313' post='2492550']
Personally, being a poor self employed person in the Airport Industrial Area...[/quote]

Yeah..ummmm....AMG? Okay..I'll bite on the self employed..but I'll rawlf on the "poor". Tell me that again when you drive a Toyota. :tongue:
[/quote]

You have to be more specific, there are expensive Toyotas...maybe if he drove a used Echo or something.

[quote name='Xsfspeed' date='08 June 2010 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1276025062' post='2495452']
Personally, being a poor self employed person...
[/quote]

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: I change golf clubs less than he changes luxury cars...OMG just one of his watches costs more than my whole golf bag...his golf shirt costs more than my entire outfit, including my shoes! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

At least his food & golf advice is legit :yes:

[/quote]

Oh my...my Mr Kettle. I know I'm old..but I remember when someone had a VERY nice AMG as well till he settled on a little 4 banger that just so happens to be one of the fastest 4 bangers. :cheesy: As for ho'ing...I'm not the one with Nike Split Cavity's, Miura Splits and formerly the owner of OnOff 247's! You're just on a hoing hiatus! :tongue: Now stop it...get back to your ROOTS and join us for testing/demo'ing aka round of golf on Saturday's! :cheesy:

Sincerely,

PotBull808 :drinks:

PS....I agree with Da Master..if you like poke...get to Alicia's and get a half pound of the masago/wasabi ahi poke. WINNAHS! Awesome with a mixed plate lunch as well. :yes:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='monkutare' date='11 July 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1278872368' post='2568752']
went through this thread and still want to know the best place to go after Ewa International besides the clubhouse
[/quote]

Not sure if you like Filipino food but Thelma's in Waipahu is one of my favorite stops along the way back from Ewa. The Thelma's Special/lechon kewali is the winnahs. Just typing about it makes me want to make the driver over! :D

[quote name='monkutare' date='11 July 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1278872368' post='2568752']
went through this thread and still want to know the best place to go after [b]Ewa International[/b] besides the clubhouse
[/quote]

I assume you are talking about Ewa Beach Golf Club (in case anyone not from the 808 is reading this), and there really isn't much out there. Mostly plate lunch or fast food. I used to live/work in Ewa and most of the places were just okay. Did a lot of biz lunches & everyone always wanted to eat at The Bird of Paradise at Hawaii Prince GC or a Japanese restaurant that has since closed down. Food at BoP is usually very good, but a little pricey & can be very busy on weekends as non-golfers flock there to eat. The Ohana Drive-In had a very good honey garlic chicken, Shiro's has great french fries, the Korean BBQ place next to Loco Moco was decent, and there are two Chinese restaurants that were acceptable. I will drive anywhere on the island to eat if the food is good, there is nothing out there that would make me drive from town to Ewa, just to eat. If I play EBGC, I usually eat at the clubhouse (which is pretty good), or head back toward town.

Not born in 808 but have a place in Kapolei. My buddies that live in Kaimuki don't know any place other than the clubhouse at Ewa.

This is a great thread for good info. I have to say that almost all of the golf course clubhouse food in the 808 kills any clubhouse food on the mainland. Not even close, to taste and quality.

[quote name='pitbull808' date='11 July 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1278875004' post='2568806']
went through this thread and still want to know the best place to go after Ewa International besides the clubhouse
[/quote]

Not sure if you like Filipino food but Thelma's in Waipahu is one of my favorite stops along the way back from Ewa. The Thelma's Special/lechon kewali is the winnahs. Just typing about it makes me want to make the driver over! :D
[/quote]

Pitbull is right about Thelma's. Nothing beats Mom's cooking, but the Thelma's Special is so good! All my non-Filipino friends love this stuff! Poke Stop is also a good choice in Waipahu.

+1 for Thelmas! Tanioka's is also awesome. However, no place to sit down and eat. I'd say if you'd like somewhere close to Ewa, Shiro's had decent saimin and local food. There's also a Chinese restaurant in the shopping center that has Starbucks and Genki. I always have the shrimp canton/fried rice combo.

[quote name='da master 808' date='14 July 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1279139562' post='2576039']
[quote name='monkutare' date='13 July 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1279077693' post='2574603']
Where can you get Vietnamese sandwiches, bahn mi, other than BaLe on Oahu?
[/quote]

Super Pho in Kaimuki has makes a pretty good one...
[/quote]

J..what's the name of that Pho place in Pearl Kai?? The service sucks, Pho's pretty good and huge..not sure if they have sandwiches.

BTW...current Korean fave's.....Cho Dang on Piikoi in the Blockbuster parking lot and Yu Chan next door to Pro Am. :yes:

[quote name='pitbull808' date='14 July 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1279173260' post='2577071']
[quote name='da master 808' date='14 July 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1279139562' post='2576039']
[quote name='monkutare' date='13 July 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1279077693' post='2574603']
Where can you get Vietnamese sandwiches, bahn mi, other than BaLe on Oahu?
[/quote]

Super Pho in Kaimuki has makes a pretty good one...
[/quote]

J..what's the name of that Pho place in Pearl Kai?? The service sucks, Pho's pretty good and huge..not sure if they have sandwiches.

BTW...current Korean fave's.....Cho Dang on Piikoi in the Blockbuster parking lot and Yu Chan next door to Pro Am. :yes:
[/quote]

Pho place in Aiea is called Cuu Long. No sandwiches there but decent Pho. Jin Joo in Waimalu shopping center has good Korean.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='monkutare' timestamp='1280030796' post='2597290']
Top 5 (or 10) clubhouses for eat/ Oahu and what to order
[/quote]

The only four that I think about eating while playing.

Mililani (the only reason to play the course is the food) - Crispy Pata, Oxtail Soup, Sizzling Hamburger Steak

Waikele - Japanese food, Oxtail Soup
Kapolei - Steamed Ahi Belly
Pearl - Deep Fried Tako, Teishoku

[quote name='mauiatheart' timestamp='1280036687' post='2597396']
[/quote]

Mililani (the only reason to play the course is the food) - Crispy Pata, Oxtail Soup, Sizzling Hamburger Steak

[/quote]

[quote name='mauiatheart' timestamp='1280036687' post='2597396']
[/quote]

[b]Mililani (the only reason to play the course is the food) - Crispy Pata, Oxtail Soup, Sizzling Hamburger Steak
[/b]
[/quote]

:cheesy: He's not kidding about Mililani as his number 1. Once he didn't even play with us but joined us for the 19th hole. :D