2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tourstage XDrive 405 and 510TP

ziggynotonmauianymore

comparison pics
Since I joined these forums about 3 years ago, I was in love with the Tourstage brand. They seem to have the best "design" in terms of proportions, looks, quality....

I was very close to buying the 405 XDrive several times, but never pulled the trigger before. Then I found a basically new head only from Pitbull808 and cound not resist any longer....

At the moment, it´s shafted with a 660TR and I´ll play it for a few rounds this week. I have a Diamana 83 S on the way as well...

The 510TP "Tour" has been in the bag for a long time. I tried many other drivers against it, but the combo with the 7FTB remained my no.1.

Enjoy the pics. No need to describe the great looks and proportions of the XDrive....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ziggy...it just amazes me to think how that club head travelled from Honolulu, to Maui and then on to Germany to you! I really hope you hit it well.

I conitinue to be impressed by the X Drive. It's easily the most solid driver I've found in ages, very workable and also quite forgiving for it's size. All this in a plain old retail package! :drinks:

Here's a few pics of my X Drive and a Tour R7 for comparison.

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

Ziggy...it just amazes me to think how that club head travelled from Honolulu, to Maui and then on to Germany to you!  I really hope you hit it well. 

I conitinue to be impressed by the X Drive.  It's easily the most solid driver I've found in ages, very workable and also quite forgiving for it's size.  All this in a plain old retail package! :clapping:

Here's a few pics of my X Drive and a Tour R7 for comparison.

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

51697[/snapback]

Hey Ziggy I too have lusted after a 405 for a long time, I too have just ordered one thru TSG, Reid kindly gave me a 'personal review' :clapping: which reinforced my 'desire' :drinks: ..... I'm finally going to retire my MR23, if it works out.

I hear a 438 has been spotted (progress eh!).... good luck with yours!

Hi Corky and Reid,

just came back from the first 18 holes with my new Xdrive. If you expect the typical "honeymoon report"......you are dead right.

Unbelieveable club.

It´s still too early to write a solid review, but it´s amazing how solid this club feels. Simply amazing. It runs circles around all those "tour issue" clubs... dead square with no hook bias... just plain dead square.

More news (reviews) to come after I get more used to it. The 510TP is a tough competitor..... :drinks:

Hi Corky and Reid,

just came back from the first 18 holes with my new Xdrive. If you expect the typical "honeymoon report"......you are dead right.

Unbelieveable club.

It´s still too early to write a solid review, but it´s amazing how solid this club feels. Simply amazing. It runs circles around all those "tour issue" clubs... dead square with no hook bias... just plain dead square.

More news (reviews) to come after I get more used to it. The 510TP is a tough competitor..... :clapping:

51906[/snapback]

Ziggy.....I'm so glad to hear about your "honeymoon"! :drinks: I too just love the square face on the X Drive and the feel on a solid shot is just incredible. I've tested it against a lot of other drivers so far and it's just kept coming back in the bag. I'd be amazed if they could make a 460 with the feel of the 405. I'd be first in line if they did!

Congratulations and I hope the honeymoon last a loooong time! :clapping:

Hi Corky and Reid,

Unbelieveable club.

More news (reviews) to come after I get more used to it. The 510TP is a tough competitor..... :clapping:

51906[/snapback]

Ziggy.....I'm so glad to hear about your "honeymoon"! :drinks: I too just love the square face on the X Drive and the feel on a solid shot is just incredible. I've tested it against a lot of other drivers so far and it's just kept coming back in the bag. I'd be amazed if they could make a 460 with the feel of the 405. I'd be first in line if they did!

Congratulations and I hope the honeymoon last a loooong time! :clapping:

52879[/snapback]

According to TSG ... possibility of a 460cc in March '06.

Here is a quick update...

(Reid, the head indeed has some mileage on it... :drinks: )

At the moment the Xdrive is shafted with a 660TR s flex @ 45 inches. The swingweight is D3 and the total clubweight is exactly 335 grams (I don´t get fooled by the swingweight...you can balance a sledgehammer @ D3 if you want...)

My "gamer" 510TP has exactly the same numbers: D3@45 inches, 336 grams, 7FTB x flex. So it´s a perfect comparison. The 7FTB is no real X flex anyhow and feels a bit stiffer than the 660TR, but since the insertion depth of the Xdrive is around half an inch deeper, they´re pretty close.

The best thing about the XDrive is that you can not hook it to save your life. Straight, straight, straight....and eventually a little fade. Just aim for the left side of the fairway and pull the trigger. It does not have the same kind of workability as my 510, but this could also be because I´m not used to it as much. If the timing is perfect, I can hit a little draw, just enough to give it a bit more roll, but not too much so I´d loose it left. One thing amazes me: you can vary the height of the ballflight much more than any other driver that I had by simply varying the T height. I never really discovered that. But with this club, if you T is high, you get some significant air time....and if you T is lower, you still get a ballistic ballflight and not that "topped shot feel" like with most other heads. Might have something to do wit the bulge and roll...who knows. Just thought it´s worth mentioning.

The second best thing about the Xdrive is the confidence inspiring looks. Hey Nike, that´s how a club should look like.... :clapping:

The third best thing is the feel and sound if you nail one in the middle. It goes right into your heart. The feel and sound on off-center hits is a bit too metallic for my liking, but that´s the smallest problem. I just have to hit it more consistent...

I have a Diamana 83 S coming....and will reshaft it as soon as possible. The TS head defintely launches it hig enough to allow a lower launching shaft than the 660TR. We´ll see.

I don´t want to draw any conclusions about distance and consistency yet, also because there seems to be some "magic" about my 510/7FTB combo.... It looks like a tight match....

I´ll write an update after installing the Diamana.

Here is a quick update...

(Reid, the head indeed has some mileage on it... :clapping: )

At the moment the Xdrive is shafted with a 660TR s flex @ 45 inches. The swingweight is D3 and the total clubweight is exactly 335 grams (I don´t get fooled by the swingweight...you can balance a sledgehammer @ D3 if you want...)

My "gamer" 510TP has exactly the same numbers: D3@45 inches, 336 grams, 7FTB x flex. So it´s a perfect comparison. The 7FTB is no real X flex anyhow and feels a bit stiffer than the 660TR, but since the insertion depth of the Xdrive is around half an inch deeper, they´re pretty close.

The best thing about the XDrive is that you can not hook it to save your life. Straight, straight, straight....and eventually a little fade. Just aim for the left side of the fairway and pull the trigger. It does not have the same kind of workability as my 510, but this could also be because I´m not used to it as much. If the timing is perfect, I can hit a little draw, just enough to give it a bit more roll, but not too much so I´d loose it left. One thing amazes me: you can vary the height of the ballflight much more than any other driver that I had by simply varying the T height. I never really discovered that. But with this club, if you T is high, you get some significant air time....and if you T is lower, you still get a ballistic ballflight and not that "topped shot feel" like with most other heads. Might have something to do wit the bulge and roll...who knows. Just thought it´s worth mentioning.

The second best thing about the Xdrive is the confidence inspiring looks. Hey Nike, that´s how a club should look like.... :clapping:

The third best thing is the feel and sound if you nail one in the middle. It goes right into your heart. The feel and sound on off-center hits is a bit too metallic for my liking, but that´s the smallest problem. I just have to hit it more consistent...

I have a Diamana 83 S coming....and will reshaft it as soon as possible. The TS head defintely launches it hig enough to allow a lower launching shaft than the 660TR. We´ll see.

I don´t want to draw any conclusions about distance and consistency yet, also because there seems to be some "magic" about my 510/7FTB combo.... It looks like a tight match....

I´ll write an update after installing the Diamana.

53030[/snapback]

Thanks for the update Ziggy, although I haven't got my 405 yet, my MR23 has that 'striaight to the heart' feel.... sorta reminiscint of a an old

persimmon..... and it's that that makes me want another TS product., that and the build quality, spec tolerance and sheer beauty!

:drinks: