2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How many of you play competitively?

Aimee

What got you started?
Just curious...I've been telling myself that if I could get more consistent, I'd try to play in a local tournement which is open to men or women under 30 hcp (yeah, not that selective). I never got an official USGA hcp and I don't have enough time to do 10 rounds before the tournement, so I probably won't make the one in July.
What made you decide to play competitively - not College golf, I'm talking about casual golfers who decided to "step it up" a bit. Tell me about your experience and if you thought it made you progress faster towards improvement.
FYI, I currently shoot in mid-90's usually, so I have no delusions...I'm just looking for an opportunity to maybe play with some better women golfers. I wanted to be shooting 88-90 regularly before competing, but starting to think "what the heck" and give it a shot.

It's not how...it's how many

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link...I have played with women from EWGA and it just wasn't what I was looking for, they were a quite a bit older than me and not very good golfers. I'm guessing each chapter has it's own character. I'm going to talk to the guys who run our County course where they have the tournement schedule posted and get their perspective.

i know where you're coming from. there isn't a lot out there competitively for women, unless of course you get into the amateur circuit through the summer. but that is very competitive and can get expensive.

i would still dig a bit deeper for some good women's golf associations in your area. they may have some good info for you.

good luck.

Primary reason for joining pub linx women's club was to have someone to play with on a consistent basis. With qualification came USGA hdcp. The official hdcp gave entrance to a host of tournaments, both those sponsored by local and state women's pub linx as well as learned about opens sponsored by various pub linx or semi-private clubs around the state. Were a women in this state interested or so inclined, she could play in some tournament somewhere every weekend through the summer. Check with your state golf association -- they often have a roster of tournaments with the qualifications/requirements. Oh, and to attract participants, most of the womens' tournaments are net -- you would be competing against women of similar skill levels. You will find that almost every tournament requires an official USGA handicap -- can't leave home without one. As much as I don't agree with the practice, many courses will allow you to pay and post for handicap even if you aren't a member of an organized club/league. Check with your starter or club pro to learn about local practices. Speaking of clubs -- check the womens' club bulletin board (sometimes located inside the womens' locker/restroom) for tournament flyers. Good luck. My experience with tournament play have been mostly positive. Worst was state pub linx stroke tournament -- I stopped participating in those after a 6+ hour round. I understand that they now play shotgun -- but I'm no longer interested. As for inspiring you to improve -- that's sort of your own competitiveness. Sure it's fun/interesting to compare yourself to other women golfers, but the game is all about beating yourself and the course.

Debit and Crabby, thanks for some good perspective and ideas.

I wonder if playing competitively will force me to really buckle down and concentrate more. I can look back at most rounds and identify 5 shots lost to stupidity. Plus I almost always play better when paired with better players, the pace of play suits me better, I guess.

But 6 hours for a competitive round...sheesh...I'd go crazy.

I did look at the EWGA web site last night and they do play some good courses, plus membership gets you an official handicap. I may call them up and try out one round with the group at a club which is close to my house, see what kind of turnout they get.

slow play kills me too. and trust me....they're slow. i played last week and thought i was going to shoot myself in the foot it was so slow....i mean we waited on every shot from the get-go.....the group ahead of me was on the clock by the 4th hole....instead i shot myself out of the freaking round. i haven't play serious competitive golf since the AJGA in 1989. i thought i would give tournament golf a shot again this year.

i have lots of ground to make up. but the challenge is what i like...so i'll stick with it.

Yes, slow play is the worst bane of any competitive play, including league play. Aimee, now there is an inspiration for you. If you are a better player, you will get the better tee times, which traditionally go to the lowest handicaps or lowest scores. I participate in a region inter-club competition that is loosely based on match play. Play rotates among and at the member clubs. Anyhow, the tee times for the pairings are based on handicap. Those of us in the first few groups finish in about 4 hours while the tail feathers may be out there for more than 5. I have no clue what is happening back there... whether it is more socializing so that the players aren't taking the teebox quickly or just generally aren't ready when it's their turn to hit; either one of which can back up a course quicker than one might think. A teammate suggested that the pre-shot routine for the higher handicaps (20-25) is way too long -- lots of practice swings, fidgeting, waggles, etc.

Aside from pre-shot routine delays, I often see inexperienced women golfers struggling to figure out WHICH club to use. Men don't seem as burdened by that, in my experience, they just blast away and hope for the best :bad: .

Some of it might be (and forgive me for generalizing - but I've seen enough over the past couple of years to make broad statements) that less-skilled women golfers don't tend to go to the range as much as men. So they don't get as much in the mindset of how far exactly each club goes. Hence the confusion when faced with an actual distance to the green (vs. "you're still over 250 yards away just hit whatever gets you the most distance").

Want to play faster? Know precisely what distance you hit every club in your bag. Get a yardage mark, pull the appropriate club, and go. Paralysis by analysis is epidemic. Unless you are playing for serious money, keep it moving. I'm a big fan of "ready golf" when appropriate.

i have played with some very good, knowledgeable, and competitive females.......slow play happens in all realms. i think it comes down to over analyzing every stinking shot. i mean when you have to turn to your caddy and get a read from all angles for a 6 inch putt.....come on.

access your yardage, select your club, pick your target, etc. while other players are hitting.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where you play, but around here....men are often slow, confused, and playing WAY further back than they should. And they aren't seniors!

My EWGA has very good players, and I have a difficult time believing that with 3 chapters in NJ, and 4 invitational tournaments in NJ, NY, and Philly...not to mention the chapter championships, sectional, and national championship there isn't SOME competition for you. Granted you have a short season...but as a member you can play with chapters all over. Like Florida. :russian_roulette: C'mon down. I also joined the Florida Women's State Golf Association here. Maybe jersey has something like that.

Competition has kept me interested. I understand how you feel about that.

There are a number of places online where you can post your scores. Spend some time on Google...good luck!

We teach our members ready golf immediately. And we encourage them to play with experienced members. But before all that, lessons are a MUST. We have a relationship with a Teaching pro who makes sure the gals are ready for 18 on a busy saturday before they go out there. We do a lot of 9 hole leagues etc. too. and clinics.

In the summer here, the golf is cheap and plentiful...I've been able tee off around 6:30-7:00 and be at the office before 11:00.

Thanks for your perspective, Steph.

I did get info online and emailed the local EWGA chapter, I may join the local group one evening for 9 holes to check it out, since they play at a course close to me. NJ, like FL, is a big state and only one of the chapters is actually close enough to be do-able.

They seem to have some really good tournements and events. It may very well be that the women I've played with by chance at corporate outings and our local public course are not representative of most in the EWGA members. That's why I'm hoping to join up for one round with the group.

I did actually sign up for a USGA handicap at my local course, no official GHIN yet since they don't get uploaded until 7/11.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...

Way to go, Aimee! League play will not only give you a bit of competition and other women to play with, but will enforce that you play by the USGA Rules of Golf. It's a whole other game when you consistently play the ball as it lies and have to replay vs. "oh, just drop another". Good luck, and I hope your group flurishes.

haven't posted in a while but wanted to respond to this... as stated by others, your state golf association should be a good resource for playing competitive golf, maybe even clinics on rules, handicapping, etc.

it seems NJ has a few tho' (here in MA we have just one women's state golf association; same for neighboring NH); see listing on this page of the USGA website:

http://www.usga.org/associations/regional/...ciations.asp#NJ

good luck!

Deb.

Thanks, everyone. We are supposed to play Wed p.m. weather permitting. Once I started considering this a while back, I did make sure I played by the rules (as far as I knew them, I'm on the USGA site learning more). No mulligans, no gimmes, no rollovers.

These things are so regional, even if there's an association in your state, they could be playing 2 hours away from where I live, which just isn't realistic for a weekday round, so I'm happy a local group is trying to start up. We are playing 15 minutes from my house, so there's a good shot of being able to make it each week.

Strangely enough, I had looked at that link on the USGA's site and some of the info was not up to date. The one golf association in my area had incorrect contact info.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Unfortunately, the best and most reliable source of information is word of mouth from other women players. That failing, check with the Pro -- even our little muni has had one for the past few years. He/she can at least tell you whether there is a women's club/league at the course. This state has a state golf association as well as women's pub linx and an association for private/semi-private clubs. For years, these groups were more competitive than cooperative. However, lately, membership and participation of women has declined. Now, they are working together and co-sponsoring state amateur tournaments for women and girls. Definately check with your state golf association for active clubs in your area. Our handicaps are issue under the auspices of the state golf association, so every legitimate club is registered with them. Good luck, Aimee, hope you have a wonderful experience.

Disappointed...there were only 4 of us, one woman was same level as me, the other two were beginners (they were really just looking for other women to play with)- getting an 11 on a hole until I told them they should pick up if they hit double par. Oh well. Time to do more research, late in the summer already, so I'll maybe find something for next season.

There seems to be a tournement (stroke play, flights by handicap) at our local muni course, just saw the sign last night and I think I saw one woman who signed up...will take a closer look this weekend. Could be fun, if it's by handicap I have a shot at having a good time.

• 2 months later...

Hey, just a quick update...I did play in one tournement in the end of Sept.

I won low net, but that's no great accomplishment since there were only 4 women competing and we all kind of played lousy ;)

The great thing was that I met 3 other women who are good golfers so now I have new playing partners who can help me improve! We are also trying to find more women golfers to compete in the annual tournement, so next year more competition!

No such thing as a "dreaded" beginner, everyone starts there...It's been my experience that you will improve faster if you play with more experienced people, good luck!

As others suggested, see if you are near a local chapter of EWGA, they have it set up so that both beginners and more experience players can have a good time.

Memphis, TN Chapter-Hotline: (901) 388-8775 [email protected]