2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Hogan Apex Plus E type

Bought a secondhand golf bag for spare MacGregor classic clubs and when I got it home it had some crappy clubs inside plus a forged Hogan Apex Plus E iron. I was going to chuck them all out but did a google on the Hogan club - Wow ! glad I didn't chuck this one. It has a large ding at the heel but still added to my growing collection. The loft looks the same as a PW is that correct?

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan E wedge is the set PW. E = Equalizer, Loft = 46*. Some "cold smithing" (i.e beat on it with a ball pean hammer) may lessen that rock ding. Being forged, the metal is quite malleable. Workable. Given the condition, a fun exercise in metal working.

I threaten offending clubs with a hammer occasionally. So they know who's in charge.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Hogan E wedge is the set PW. E = Equalizer, Loft = 46*. Some "cold smithing" (i.e beat on it with a ball pean hammer) may lessen that rock ding. Being forged, the metal is quite malleable. Workable. Given the condition, a fun exercise in metal working.

I threaten offending clubs with a hammer occasionally. So they know who's in charge.

Thanks for the info. I did try to creatively panel beat the ding out and it did work a little bit but I ended up filing the protuberance (now there's a seldom used word) down flush with the club face. It's not perfect but better than it was. I have nicknamed the club "Notch". There are only 3 wedges in my bag now "Notch" "Chip" and "Sandy"

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Thanks for the info. I did try to creatively panel beat the ding out and it did work a little bit but I ended up filing the protuberance (now there's a seldom used word) down flush with the club face. It's not perfect but better than it was. I have nicknamed the club "Notch". There are only 3 wedges in my bag now "Notch" "Chip" and "Sandy"

You may find that you will only need two now. There's a reason that Hogan called that thing the Equalizer! I use mine for most of my chipping work around the green. It nips the ball off the turf and gets it running with a very dependable roll-out. No fear of stubs, blades or chili dips.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You may find that you will only need two now. There's a reason that Hogan called that thing the Equalizer! I use mine for most of my chipping work around the green. It nips the ball off the turf and gets it running with a very dependable roll-out. No fear of stubs, blades or chili dips.

Ok I'll try that. I thought the E stood for edge but I stand corrected. It might be good in a bunker as well, something to find out next Tuesday out on the course. If it is a good all-rounder I'll leave the SW out of the bag - one less club to haul around. thanks

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Did you notice in the original photo of the face of the club the obvious ball marks around the sweet spot? This was before I cleaned it. The marks tell me that the previous owner must have been a pretty good golfer, which brings up the puzzle of why such a good club was doing in a bag with crappy clubs - was it because the Hogan was damaged I wonder and chucked out with some unwanted gear. If it was a well-loved club, being forged and soft metal, it wouldn't have cost much for a pro metal worker to fix it, guess I'll never know. There was also a glove in the bag, same size hands as mine, why would someone chuck out a good glove, unless they died or became unable to play the game any more.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Ok I'll try that. I thought the E stood for edge but I stand corrected. It might be good in a bunker as well, something to find out next Tuesday out on the course. If it is a good all-rounder I'll leave the SW out of the bag - one less club to haul around. thanks

Keep whatever club you use in the sand as there's not a lot of bounce with the E. For me that's a SW for bunker use, in the thick rough, soft conditions and when I've got to get the ball to drop and stop. I carry a third wedge, the 51 Special, but that's more of a fairway wedge and for pitches where I want to fly it most of the way from 30 to 80 yards out.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Keep whatever club you use in the sand as there's not a lot of bounce with the E. For me that's a SW for bunker use, in the thick rough, soft conditions and when I've got to get the ball to drop and stop. I carry a third wedge, the 51 Special, but that's more of a fairway wedge and for pitches where I want to fly it most of the way from 30 to 80 yards out.

The 51 Special is in the gap wedge range and is a handy club. I sold mine, a Mizuno 50* a few days ago. I'll probably regret that.

For the sand I usually make do with a SW and the Chipper, or from a fairway bunker with a 22* rescue club.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Anyway I'll have to go back and regularly check the recycle shop where the Hogan came from in case the rest of the set turns up there as well.

p.s. it's winter here now, 24*c today, still in shorts !

cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Did you notice in the original photo of the face of the club the obvious ball marks around the sweet spot? This was before I cleaned it. The marks tell me that the previous owner must have been a pretty good golfer, which brings up the puzzle of why such a good club was doing in a bag with crappy clubs - was it because the Hogan was damaged I wonder and chucked out with some unwanted gear. If it was a well-loved club, being forged and soft metal, it wouldn't have cost much for a pro metal worker to fix it, guess I'll never know. There was also a glove in the bag, same size hands as mine, why would someone chuck out a good glove, unless they died or became unable to play the game any more.

That's the beauty of vintage golf equipment; each piece has it's own story to tell. When I'm playing it, I like to think about that from time to time. Who used it? Where did they play? What kind of player were they?

When I'm playing a heritage course with vintage gear I like to think about who would have been playing at that course when the equipment was new? What was it like back then? It can be a very nostalgic experience. That's the romance in it for me and why I'm so attracted to it. It doesn't hurt that the equipment actually performs if you're reasonably capable.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Anyway I'll have to go back and regularly check the recycle shop where the Hogan came from in case the rest of the set turns up there as well.

cheers

Didn't your mother tell you that it's not nice to make fun of other people? It's spring here now, 8°C! I'm wearing a pair of shorts in defiance!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

cheers

Didn't your mother tell you that it's not nice to make fun of other people? It's spring here now, 8°C! I'm wearing a pair of shorts in defiance!

Inside I hope, frostbite is not a pretty sight.

I will cram in as much golf as I can while it's (relatively) cool. Come late October/November, I will be forced inside with the aircon and cold beer. Only mad dogs and Australians go out in the midday sun.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

cheers

I will cram in as much golf as I can while it's (relatively) cool. Come late October/November, I will be forced inside with the aircon and cold beer. Only mad dogs and Australians go out in the midday sun.

No I've been outside this morning. We Canadians are a different lot... The good news is that in late October/November it will still be 8°C, so I'm already prepped for that! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

cheers

No I've been outside this morning. We Canadians are a different lot... The good news is that in late October/November it will still be 8°C, so I'm already prepped for that! :lol:

You're a brave laddie. Actually I'm more kiwi than aussie (bit of both ) so cold is not a novelty to me. My mother's cousin was a Canadian so we have some family links (think it was Ottawa). Is there an indoor golf range where you live up there in the lake district? or do you just go into hibernation and take up curling instead?

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

That's the beauty of vintage golf equipment; each piece has it's own story to tell. When I'm playing it, I like to think about that from time to time. Who used it? Where did they play? What kind of player were they?

When I'm playing a heritage course with vintage gear I like to think about who would have been playing at that course when the equipment was new? What was it like back then? It can be a very nostalgic experience. That's the romance in it for me and why I'm so attracted to it. It doesn't hurt that the equipment actually performs if you're reasonably capable.

When playing a "Hogan" club I wonder how it felt for Ben

When playing a "MacGregor" club I wonder how the old Scotsman felt

When playing a "Jack Nicklaus" club I wonder how it went for Jack

When playing a "Holycrap" club I know how the maker felt.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

cheers

You're a brave laddie. Actually I'm more kiwi than aussie (bit of both ) so cold is not a novelty to me. My mother's cousin was a Canadian so we have some family links (think it was Ottawa). Is there an indoor golf range where you live up there in the lake district? or do you just go into hibernation and take up curling instead?

There's a soccer dome in town that's open three days a week to hit golf balls from January to March. The well heeled usually spend the winter in Florida. Me? I curl.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa