2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech

TUGolfer06

I'm playing there next weekend (3/23) and I was wondering what to expect this time of year. Have things started to green up all as we near late March? I know the course is rather long. I've played two prominent Dye courses, Bulle Rock and Brickyard Crossings, so I'm familiar with his bunkering and green complexes.

I was suppose to play it this same weekend last year but a pretty epic snowstorm in SW Virginia cost me the opportunity. This course has been on my bucket list for some time. I'm a huge fan of college courses.

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing there next weekend (3/23) and I was wondering what to expect this time of year. Have things started to green up all as we near late March? I know the course is rather long. I've played two prominent Dye courses, Bulle Rock and Brickyard Crossings, so I'm familiar with his bunkering and green complexes.

I was suppose to play it this same weekend last year but a pretty epic snowstorm in SW Virginia cost me the opportunity. This course has been on my bucket list for some time. I'm a huge fan of college courses.

I’m not sure if they have gotten the first cutting in yet or not. It’s been soupy here since basically September. It’s going to be very wet, the bunkering isn’t like many other Dye courses you’ve played.

Play it from the correct set of tees and it’s a blast. #4 is one of my favorite holes in our state.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

I'm not sure if they have gotten the first cutting in yet or not. It's been soupy here since basically September. It's going to be very wet, the bunkering isn't like many other Dye courses you've played.

Play it from the correct set of tees and it's a blast. #4 is one of my favorite holes in our state.

I feel like its been wet up and down the entire east coast the past 12 months! We've been dealing with it here in Northeast PA! I'm praying for good weather. Last year the snow cost me golf and the NASCAR race at Martinsville. My fingers are crossed that this year the weather Gods are on my side!

If I play solo I'll likely play a combo of the white and maroon tees. It's early in the year (played 9 holes since early December) and I'm not a long a hitter as it is. I'm looking to enjoy myself and take in the course.

I looked into Primeland (yeah i know serious $$ but I heard its incredible) but you need to stay at the resort this time of the year in order to have access. That place is also on my bucket list. Several of the members at the club I work at frequent the Greenbrier but have never heard of Primeland. Place is still a huge secret.

Home Courses

I'm not sure if they have gotten the first cutting in yet or not. It's been soupy here since basically September. It's going to be very wet, the bunkering isn't like many other Dye courses you've played.

Play it from the correct set of tees and it's a blast. #4 is one of my favorite holes in our state.

I feel like its been wet up and down the entire east coast the past 12 months! We've been dealing with it here in Northeast PA! I'm praying for good weather. Last year the snow cost me golf and the NASCAR race at Martinsville. My fingers are crossed that this year the weather Gods are on my side!

If I play solo I'll likely play a combo of the white and maroon tees. It's early in the year (played 9 holes since early December) and I'm not a long a hitter as it is. I'm looking to enjoy myself and take in the course.

I looked into Primeland (yeah i know serious $$ but I heard its incredible) but you need to stay at the resort this time of the year in order to have access. That place is also on my bucket list. Several of the members at the club I work at frequent the Greenbrier but have never heard of Primeland. Place is still a huge secret.

I live in Martinsville, funny enough. Primland is a really fun mountain course, and the amenities of staying are over the top nice, of course you pay for it though.

Primland punches the first of April this year I think, so by mid April it should be almost perfect

I live about 30 minutes from the course and have played it probably 80 times, so if you need a guide I'm down!

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

I live in Martinsville, funny enough. Primland is a really fun mountain course, and the amenities of staying are over the top nice, of course you pay for it though.

Primland punches the first of April this year I think, so by mid April it should be almost perfect

I live about 30 minutes from the course and have played it probably 80 times, so if you need a guide I'm down!

Small world!! At least the traffic headaches are no where near what they were years ago! This race weekend use to be at the end of April years ago which was much more conducive to 70s and sun.

I might try to get to Primland over the summer. The rates iirc drop during July and August before reaching their peak during early fall. I can always have my pro call down and see if there's any sort of non-PGA "industry" discount. I really want to play it!

Home Courses

Primland - worth the trip.

VT River Course - not.

I'm going to be in the area for the race on Sunday. I'm a bit of a sucker for college (related) courses so the River Course has always been one I've wanted to play. I'm driving down to Salem Friday (about a 7 hour drive) and staying there both Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday is my free day to play. I looked at some options in and around Roanoke and I still came away wanting to play the River Course.

I'm hoping it works out (not at the expense of Temple if we get in) that Virginia Tech plays a 2nd round tournament game later in the day Saturday. If that's the case I'll either either watch the game at the course or drive up to Blacksburg and find a trendy place to watch it there.

As I noted earlier, Primland is only open for guests this time of year according to their website. It's definitely on my bucket list. The pics makes me think of Belgrade Lakes in Maine....

As of now the weather looks excellent for next weekend!

Home Courses

You could try Ballyhack or Blacksburg Country Club if you have connections - these along with Hidden Valley CC and Roanoke Country Club are the best courses in the area (excluding Primland).

The VT course is fun if it is not too wet (probably the 5th beat course in the area) - the weather has generally been very nice for the last week or so in VA after a very wet winter. Also, VT still has 9 holes of their original on campus course still open.

Places to hit for the game in Blacksburg: (1) Lefty’s, (2) Blacksburg Taphouse, or (3) PK’s. Or in Roanoke: Deschutes Tap Room or in Radford: BTs.