The Daly Update

golfdigest

No need to bring me into this conversation Bunky. You can't really say any more about the guy he is:

-A guy with a large propensity to try and make people happy (which you can't do) which has led to a lot of his problems

-An alcoholic

-A great talent, who, like a lot of pro golfers who have never had to work for a living, doesn't respect the immense talent he has been given

-Kind of Trashy

-Mostly sad

This guy does not represent me or anything about me and yes I have made mistakes, I have drank too much , I have stayed out too late, I am prone to chew tobacco and cuss. BUT, I grew up and don't do that stuff anymore (the drinking too much and staying out late, anyway). There comes a time when you gotta stand up for yourself and respect yourself. Maybe that time will come for Daly, I hope it does.

Well stated opinion.........and all factual........except for the part about "trashy" as "beauty is in the eye".....hehehe (BTW, Levis is my brand, what's yours...heheheh)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of his charity actually makes him more miserable...Trying to make everyone happy all the time is taxing on your mind, body and spirit. In the end you end up trying to cope....and Daly does through alcohol, gambling and women. Daly has said many times that he can't stand it when people are upset or not happy around him. I think this taxes him more than we will know. Sure it leads to a lot of charity, but I think, in his case, it leads to a lot of misery at being unable to make everyone around him completely happy.

'

ANOTHER well stated post GL.......LOL.....You and I are a LOT alike my friend........ :D (I learned that lesson years ago and it was one of the most valuable I've ever figured out.....only problem is I didn't figure it out till I was 28 friggin' years old.....)

I have to agree with you also GL. His alcoholism and gambling addiction are symptoms of his personality disorders. He tries to make everyone else happy and doesn't care enough about himself to try and concentrate on getting his act together. He's def a straight shooter though, and I respect that (once again, if you get a chance try and listen to his interviews on Sterns show).

I've known John for 20 years now........he's got his faults and he's not all that smart, but, he's got as sincere a heart as anyone on this planet........and that cannot be said about MOST PGA Tour players.......he "gives' because he CARES and WITHOUT fanfare........he's a LOT like Elvis or Freddy Prinze in that he's had a LOT of success with NO idea how to handle it and with LOTS of "hanger's on" suckin' their living from him....... A few of us that do know him all feel the same way and have for years, we all hope that he doesn't end up on some floor dead........cause' if he does that would be a terrible waste of a very good person.......I offer no excuses for his actions or stupid, assinine, and juvenile mistakes, but, some of you might think a bit about cutting the guy some slack or just quit kickin' the guy.......he's ACCOMPLISHED more than most can ever dream of on a golf course and for that he DESERVES an opportunity to compete if he's granted entry.........I'd shudder to think where he'd be WITHOUT competitive golf in his life.........and the world would be NOT be a better place with him gone........IMOP

Finally, a voice of reason.....thanks slicefixer!

Didn't mean to pull you into this glcoach, I appreciate your comments on the situation. Also didn't mean to make this into a pissing match with you WD, which I think is ironic how your moniker here is what JD seems to do many times as of late (that's a joke). I figure you were probably his biggest fan. Again, I'm not here to defend him. I grew up less than 5 miles from where he went to High School and now owns a course. Knew his mother only slightly as well as his father. I'm a huge fan of the college he attended. I've played his course numerous times. Don't loop me in with the blind loyalists.

Everyone has their opinion and they are most certainly entitled to it. Unfortunately, JD's created a very popular and most certainly unfavorable opinion among many people.

I've known John for 20 years now........he's got his faults and he's not all that smart, but, he's got as sincere a heart as anyone on this planet........and that cannot be said about MOST PGA Tour players.......he "gives' because he CARES and WITHOUT fanfare........he's a LOT like Elvis or Freddy Prinze in that he's had a LOT of success with NO idea how to handle it and with LOTS of "hanger's on" suckin' their living from him....... A few of us that do know him all feel the same way and have for years, we all hope that he doesn't end up on some floor dead........cause' if he does that would be a terrible waste of a very good person.......I offer no excuses for his actions or stupid, assinine, and juvenile mistakes, but, some of you might think a bit about cutting the guy some slack or just quit kickin' the guy.......he's ACCOMPLISHED more than most can ever dream of on a golf course and for that he DESERVES an opportunity to compete if he's granted entry.........I'd shudder to think where he'd be WITHOUT competitive golf in his life.........and the world would be NOT be a better place with him gone........IMOP

Finally, a voice of reason.....thanks slicefixer!

Didn't mean to pull you into this glcoach, I appreciate your comments on the situation. Also didn't mean to make this into a pissing match with you WD, which I think is ironic how your moniker here is what JD seems to do many times as of late (that's a joke). I figure you were probably his biggest fan. Again, I'm not here to defend him. I grew up less than 5 miles from where he went to High School and now owns a course. Knew his mother only slightly as well as his father. I'm a huge fan of the college he attended. I've played his course numerous times. Don't loop me in with the blind loyalists.

Everyone has their opinion and they are most certainly entitled to it. Unfortunately, JD's created a very popular and most certainly unfavorable opinion among many people.

LOL my screenname "withdrew" actually started in college, from "withdrawing" from so many classes to avoid getting an F. Similar tactics to JD I suppose. You got me there...! :D

I don't wish the guy harm. When I say "go away" I would hope that people wouldn't get the idea that I mean "off the planet." I wouldn't wish that to anyone. I know a few people here via PM's and emails and other BST transactions, not that you can get a real idea of who I am, but I would think that most folks here would know me better than that.

I USED to like him. I really did. What's not to like? He gets into the U.S. Open as an alternate in his rookie year and he wins the thing. I remember thinking that he looks like my dad, gut and all. Big John, the people's champion.

I guess the chapter I'm in now would be titled "Tough Love." I'm sure he doesn't read this and my thoughts and opinions are certainly meaningless to John Daly, but when I said "I'm done" I really meant it. I'm done rooting for him and hoping he gets it together. Just like a little kid that says, "I'm sorry.." and goes on to repeat the exact same behavior...Just like the addict who says, "I'm done with drugs or alcohol, I really mean it..." and they go right back.

This is the kind of pattern I've seen for so many years. And it's not like he's showing signs of really working hard and trying to get back...he's investing nothing, so I'm investing nothing. It's that simple.

His battles with addiction and weight and everything else are much bigger than golf. I hope he does get better on a personal level, but golf-wise, I could care less. Winning a golf tournament is not going to turn him around. Unfortunately it will probably take something much more dramatic and life-changing and hopefully (for his sake) it's something he can overcome.

Thanks for the comments slicefixer. Beauty is definitely in the eye :) (Red Man). One day when I am in Texarkana, I'm gettin' a lesson.

GL your more then WELCOME in my home ANYtime!! (and I can stand some Redman for a day or two......actually use to luv Golden Blend......hehehe)

And "WD"........your last post is VERY well reasoned and understandable........my point is this, without competitive golf in his life what does he have? John deserves whatever opportunities in competitive golf that are given to him (and I guarantee you he does NOT like being in a position to have to be given anything, but, he'll be VERY grateful and appreciative....at least the John I knew will)......I am like you in that I wish he'd "grow up," but, for some it's just a bit harder proposition.......education/intellect/maturity/upbringing, etc. etc. etc...... :partytime2: