The Daly Update

golfdigest

PACIFIC PALISADES, Calif. -- John Daly is inimitable, which, most would agree, is surely a good thing. One of him is sufficient. But whatever one feels about him, he's difficult to ignore, and not simply because of his growing girth.

After shooting 69 in the first round of the Northern Trust Open Thursday, he spoke of the flu that has bothered him the last couple of days and how he was grateful to have swapped pro-am times with Phil Mickelson the day before, "because an hour earlier for me, I could catch the Willie Nelson concert last night."

A Willie Nelson concert would seem an odd elixir for flu. But this is John Daly's world.

"Me and my caddie both got the flu," Daly said. "The last two days have been brutal."

A decent round is the kind of medicine his golf game needed. This marked only the second time in 11 rounds this year that Daly has bettered 70. "It's nice to finally get off to a decent start," he said. "I made a good putt on one and made a really good birdie on three and then [another] on five. You get off to a start like that, and you feel like you can feed off it for the rest of the day."

Daly said he put a new shaft in his putter, one a half-inch longer. "Butch [Harmon, his instructor] wants me to shorten my stroke, so I added some length. I figure it makes it a lot easier to do that."

-- John Strege

View the full article

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW !!!!! I had read earlier that Butch said he would never dream of trying to tweak JD's short game. It has been the best part of his game for years. I hope it helps. I have been a JD fan ever since I was a kid and my golf coach tried to ween me of my Daly-esk superlong back swing. It would be nice to see him back on top the leader board.

It's too bad that JD seems to be more concerned with a Concert rather than contending in the tourney. John has very few opportunities left, I fear that his career is quickly waning. What a shame for a guy with more talent than most other golfers, save Tiger.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I'm not sure what you mean by worn out his welcome (I'm assuming your referring to the pass he was given for winning two majors), but honestly he's hurting no one but himself. From the interviews I've watched, he seems like a nice guy with a ton of character defects and vices. I will continue to wish him the best.

I'm not sure what you mean by worn out his welcome (I'm assuming your referring to the pass he was given for winning two majors), but honestly he's hurting no one but himself. From the interviews I've watched, he seems like a nice guy with a ton of character defects and vices. I will continue to wish him the best.

I'm just tired of the drama "I'm working with Butch now" nonsense, tired of him shooting in the 60's on Thursday and then melting down on Fri-Sat-Sun, tired of the lawsuits, the withdrawals from tournaments, tired of the zero work ethic, the smoking and binge drinking, tired of the midnight bedtime assaults by his wife or ex-wife or whomever, tired of the "I'm an average guy, blue-collar guy just like you" personality that he is tagged with.

I don't wish him evil or ill-will, but I'm just tired of seeing him play golf. You're right, he's only hurting himself and that has little to do with me. I know everyone loves the "Underdog Story" and love to see guys get their act together and clean up, sober up, get in shape, etc. I like that story too sometimes, but I'm just tired of THIS story.

There are other threads on this that I've participated in significantly. I don't want to get too far OT and I certainly don't want this to get closed. Just my opinion.

What I have a problem with is that he's not willing to help himself or put hardly any effort into it. He lost his card 2 years ago and yet he has not bothered trying to get it back at Q school.

If he wants to play where is exempt because of earlier wins that's fine but every sponsor's exemption he accepts, he takes away a spot that could go to a player that actually gives a hoot about is game/carreer. You know those that are actually trying to make a living at it and are working hard doing so.

Certainly don't wish him any bad luck and I don't hate the guy. I just think theres more derserving guys out there who needs those exemptions. He got his share and he didn't do crap with 'em.

When the sponsors jump ship, and they have, it's just a matter of time.

JD's a mess that's for sure but I think he really does want to better his golf game.......whether it seems that way or not is a whole other story!! Now is he a model citizen, No. Does he eat and booze too much, Yes. Does he have too many ex-wives, Probably. Does he act like a donkey and talk like one too at times, Yes. But his game is getting better, albeit slightly but it is improving. I think he enjoys torturing himself so he can come back from the abyss!! He may not do it this time around but don't be surprised if he does win again. I know it sounds crazy and hard to believe but would one ever have believed that this guy would win a major in 1991 as the 9th alternate(BTW, this is nearly an impossible feat!!)?? And another major in 1995?? Probably not. People were saying the same things about him in 1999, 2000, 01, 02, etc. and nobody would have EVER predicted this guy would win again in 2004.....at a course like Torrey Pines none the less. I believe The Lion will roar again someday. And he usually does it when everyone thinks he's done.....like most everyone is saying now. I really can't back this up with anything substantial reasoning except what history has shown us about John Daly.

JD's a mess that's for sure but I think he really does want to better his golf game.......whether it seems that way or not is a whole other story!! Now is he a model citizen, No. Does he eat and booze too much, Yes. Does he have too many ex-wives, Probably. Does he act like a donkey and talk like one too at times, Yes. But his game is getting better, albeit slightly but it is improving. I think he enjoys torturing himself so he can come back from the abyss!! He may not do it this time around but don't be surprised if he does win again. I know it sounds crazy and hard to believe but would one ever have believed that this guy would win a major in 1991 as the 9th alternate(BTW, this is nearly an impossible feat!!)?? And another major in 1995?? Probably not. People were saying the same things about him in 1999, 2000, 01, 02, etc. and nobody would have EVER predicted this guy would win again in 2004.....at a course like Torrey Pines none the less. I believe The Lion will roar again someday. And he usually does it when everyone thinks he's done.....like most everyone is saying now. I really can't back this up with anything substantial reasoning except what history has shown us about John Daly.

Sorry, but that's just NOT going to happen.

The game has changed way too much in recent history. Fitness and work-ethic are more important than ever. There are too many hungrier and more tenacious players out there to compete with. Look at Phil, he lost some weight, he's on a new diet and fitness routine, add to that the fact that he's just a great golfer, and you are seeing the results. JD has relied on some natural talent since the beginning, but that's not gonna cut it in today's game.

I'd be surprised if he finishes in the top 10 of any tourney he enters this whole year.

I predict Daly will be working hard next year to qualify for playing in Europe and Asia, he will probably never earn a PGA tour card again.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Sorry, but that's just NOT going to happen.

The game has changed way too much in recent history. Fitness and work-ethic are more important than ever. There are too many hungrier and more tenacious players out there to compete with. Look at Phil, he lost some weight, he's on a new diet and fitness routine, add to that the fact that he's just a great golfer, and you are seeing the results. JD has relied on some natural talent since the beginning, but that's not gonna cut it in today's game.

I'd be surprised if he finishes in the top 10 of any tourney he enters this whole year.

The guys is definitely out of shape, no argument there!! He's not the model of what golf is today that's for sure!! But the one thing that he does have is the talent to win on the PGA Tour. He's done it before and if he works on his game like he has been with Harmon(as much as people may think he is not practicing and working on it, he is) he can win again. Will he?? The odds are stacked against him as high as a skyscraper BUT he is one person that does have the talent(somewhere in that enormous figure!!) to do it. I've said this before, you don't win two majors(maybe you can get lucky and win one but not two) and five times on Tour without being a VERY special talent. I know you can't live on what you've done in the past but he has that previous experience to draw upon and not many other players have that. You may be right, he may be done for good but I surely hope not. People may not like to hear this but golf needs a guy like John Daly to contend again. He adds a certain red-neck aura that brings all walks of life to the game of golf(and that creates a bigger fan base to the game). A lot of people don't like the guy b/c of some of the stupid things he has done(on and off the course) but the fact is, and I know this annoys a lot of people but it's true, he is second to only Tiger Woods in drawing power. And golf needs that. JD just needs to clean-up his act/game and contend on a Sunday afternoon again.

As much as I wish it weren't true, I agree. What's he going to do when the field has the big dogs playing?? Well the positive is he is making baby step progress. He made the cut again and that's two weeks in a row!! So he's played 6 events this year so far and made 3 cuts(although one of those was an MDF). He needs to play 4 good rounds now instead of 1 or 2 and then fizzle out on the weekend.

Another classic Daly performance this weekend.

66-73-71-74 T60

Can't get it done against that field, what chance does he have against the big guys?

I thought you were "done"?

Let it go man. Life's too short to worry about JD week in and week out. It's not worth obsessing over.

Does it make you feel better to come here and trash the guy? Seriously. I really wonder about some of the guys that post here. It's like it's personal.

If you see a JD thread, don't click on it. It's that simple.

Another classic Daly performance this weekend.

66-73-71-74 T60

Can't get it done against that field, what chance does he have against the big guys?

I thought you were "done"?

Let it go man. Life's too short to worry about JD week in and week out. It's not worth obsessing over.

Does it make you feel better to come here and trash the guy? Seriously. I really wonder about some of the guys that post here. It's like it's personal.

If you see a JD thread, don't click on it. It's that simple.

Never said I was done.

For every guy like me, there's a guy like you, that will defend him... so it cancels out.

I too wonder about the guys who post here, the unconditional love for this guy, the "golf needs a guy like JD" guys...

Obsessed? Hardly. I don't start these threads. I merely respond to them. Obsessed with golf? You got me.

Trash the guy? Sorry to inform you, but everything he gets is SELF INFLICTED. We're not talking about a guy hitting a bad shot and letting off a "G*d Damn" or an F-bomb. We're talking about a guy who is a compulsive gambler and drunk, has zero work-ethic and is just surrounded by negativity and drama. I call it like I see it, and as long as my posts aren't vulgar or offensive, they have every right to be stated, just as much right as your post objecting mine.

You can just not read my posts as well. It's that simple.

Haters...I hope he gets his act together and betters himself (not just in golf).

Been hoping for that for over a decade. He's worn out his welcome. I'm done now.

You said you were done here.... ;)

Not defending him either. He reaps what he sows.

Search "DALY" in the forums. Read yours and GLCOACH's responses. :D

I find them funny.

I've known John for 20 years now........he's got his faults and he's not all that smart, but, he's got as sincere a heart as anyone on this planet........and that cannot be said about MOST PGA Tour players.......he "gives' because he CARES and WITHOUT fanfare........he's a LOT like Elvis or Freddy Prinze in that he's had a LOT of success with NO idea how to handle it and with LOTS of "hanger's on" suckin' their living from him....... A few of us that do know him all feel the same way and have for years, we all hope that he doesn't end up on some floor dead........cause' if he does that would be a terrible waste of a very good person.......I offer no excuses for his actions or stupid, assinine, and juvenile mistakes, but, some of you might think a bit about cutting the guy some slack or just quit kickin' the guy.......he's ACCOMPLISHED more than most can ever dream of on a golf course and for that he DESERVES an opportunity to compete if he's granted entry.........I'd shudder to think where he'd be WITHOUT competitive golf in his life.........and the world would be NOT be a better place with him gone........IMOP

I've known John for 20 years now........he's got his faults and he's not all that smart, but, he's got as sincere a heart as anyone on this planet........and that cannot be said about MOST PGA Tour players.......he "gives' because he CARES and WITHOUT fanfare........he's a LOT like Elvis or Freddy Prinze in that he's had a LOT of success with NO idea how to handle it and with LOTS of "hanger's on" suckin' their living from him....... A few of us that do know him all feel the same way and have for years, we all hope that he doesn't end up on some floor dead........cause' if he does that would be a terrible waste of a very good person.......I offer no excuses for his actions or stupid, assinine, and juvenile mistakes, but, some of you might think a bit about cutting the guy some slack or just quit kickin' the guy.......he's ACCOMPLISHED more than most can ever dream of on a golf course and for that he DESERVES an opportunity to compete if he's granted entry.........I'd shudder to think where he'd be WITHOUT competitive golf in his life.........and the world would be NOT be a better place with him gone........IMOP

Well said.. I think most people are like myself, they pull for him and pull for him,

only to be left feeling let down. I think its time we step back and realize just how

FRAGILE this situation is. And I hope JD knows, too.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

No need to bring me into this conversation Bunky. You can't really say any more about the guy he is:

-A guy with a large propensity to try and make people happy (which you can't do) which has led to a lot of his problems

-An alcoholic

-A great talent, who, like a lot of pro golfers who have never had to work for a living, doesn't respect the immense talent he has been given

-Kind of Trashy

-Mostly sad

This guy does not represent me or anything about me and yes I have made mistakes, I have drank too much , I have stayed out too late, I am prone to chew tobacco and cuss. BUT, I grew up and don't do that stuff anymore (the drinking too much and staying out late, anyway). There comes a time when you gotta stand up for yourself and respect yourself. Maybe that time will come for Daly, I hope it does.

I would be that guy that said "golf needs a guy like JD". But it has nothing to do with 'unconditional love' or 'defending' the guy. You are reading way to far into that. Simply stated golf is a more exciting game to watch when John Daly is in contention(granted that is not very often!!). More people watch when JD is in the hunt which means the ratings go up which means the sponsors are even more happy. Sure JD has all kinds of personal issues and he's a mess a lot of times(no denying that) but the fact is he brings an audience bigger than anyone else in the game except Tiger Woods - That is undebatable. And if you can bring that many people to the game of golf then golf needs you, "golf needs a guy like JD".

He may never contend again on a Sunday but if he does it would make for great press. And if he should ever win again............the fact is, not only would it be great for John, but it would be great for the game of golf and it would be great for the PGA Tour(even though you may not think so).

Me, I am a fan of John Daly's and not just b/c of his golf game but more so for the heart he shows to others in need and the charitable causes he supports........and time he gives to kids in need(which goes totally unnoticed in the press) - that's what I am a fan of. I agree, his vices are totally self-inflicted and he probably does drink and gamble way too much - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to point that out, we know. All of these vices still don't take away from the fact that he's a genuine person that unconditionally helps others in need and that's what I'm a bigger fan of. But we are all entitled to our opinion and you can feel free to bash him six ways to Sunday if you want. That's why we have a forum here.

I think all of his charity actually makes him more miserable...Trying to make everyone happy all the time is taxing on your mind, body and spirit. In the end you end up trying to cope....and Daly does through alcohol, gambling and women. Daly has said many times that he can't stand it when people are upset or not happy around him. I think this taxes him more than we will know. Sure it leads to a lot of charity, but I think, in his case, it leads to a lot of misery at being unable to make everyone around him completely happy.

Haters...I hope he gets his act together and betters himself (not just in golf).

Been hoping for that for over a decade. He's worn out his welcome. I'm done now.

You said you were done here.... ;)

Not defending him either. He reaps what he sows.

Search "DALY" in the forums. Read yours and GLCOACH's responses. :D

I find them funny.

Hmmm, not quite. If you followed the conversation, it means "DONE HOPING FOR HIM TO GET HIS ACT TOGETHER AND BETTER HIMSELF."

Read it again.