2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No More Sit Ups and Crunches

GolfFitPro

p1010410.jpg

Although they have never really been much of a staple in my program design, I have stopped doing any sit-ups and crunches with my clients. In the past, I have had my clients doing some stick crunches and medicine ball sit ups during my core routine (along with bridges, planks and quadruped exercises).

I had heard about other coaches taking them out of their programs, particularly Coach Boyle, and although I thought he made sense, I didn't feel I really needed to eliminate them since they were a small part of the program.

As I thought about it though, it made more sense to me that the population that I mostly work with, golfers and executives, should really avoid crunches and sit-ups.

Why?

womangriplowback150bb.jpg

First of all, crunches and sit-ups reinforce poor posture.  According to Eeric Truumees, MD, in his article "Back Pain Prevention, 5 Harmful Habits," poor posture "places an enormous amount of stress on the spine."  Crunches and sit-ups involve spinal flexion and too much flexion of the spine can lead to disc problems over time.  We have enough ways to ruin our back, why are we doing it in the gym?

Second, with golfers, we always talk about posture.  One of the first things that teaching pros will talk about with students is having good posture.  If you have a rounded upper back with your shoulders slumped forward at address, commonly called a C-Posture, "it will be very difficult to keep your posture in the backswing without keeping it short and wide," according to TPI.   You get much less rotation when you are hunched over in C-Posture.  Below is a picture of TPI co-founder Dave Phillips showing good and bad posture.

cposturefront.jpg

Picture courtesy of www.MyTPI.com

So now think about the crunch and the sit-up.  Basically, they just reinforce that poor posture.  I rotated the picture to give you a better look at this idea. Look at at the red line on Alex's back and compare it to the pictures above.

cposture_2.jpg

Take into account all the hunched over positions we are in from sitting, commuting, texting on the Blackberry and working on the computer.  Then we go to the gym to do sit ups and work too much on chest and bicep muscles and not enough upper back; more reinforcement of poor posture.

OK, so how do we work our abs?

Besides the planks and side planks that I have my clients doing for core stabilization, I still have a few exercises that involve using the abs, except just not in isolation.

Those exercises include Turkish Get Ups, Medicine Ball Slams and Stability Ball Rollouts.  I will go over those in the next few posts.

http://fitnessforbettergolf.typepad.com/be...f_with_fitness/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post, I am looking forward to it. I have been having a lot of tightness in my lower back, the SI joint to be specific, so I am interested in how to work on abs for increased strength without applying additional stress to posture...

Here is a pic of the SI joint for those that don't know where it is:

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Very intersting... Most people place far too much emphasis on the front of the body rather than the back.. and end up with huge inbalances... As a result people end up with strong abs and weak back extensors, strong hip flexors and weak hip abductors.. and strong chest and shoulders and weak lats and upper back.. All of these contribute to the C posture.. not to mention sitting whilst driving, working and watching TV... I recently read that its a good idea to do your extensor exercises before the flexor ones... So before you do your planks, or ball crunches.. do some 'dirty dogs' or the like that work the hip abductors... perhaps with ankle weights when it becomes to easy.. I have recently started using kettlebells, and have to say that they are the best single exercise tool I have ever used, by a mile... If you want to work your back extensors, and about every other muscle in the body, this is the tool for you.. Great for doing Turkish get ups with..

According to a study conducted by San Diego University, these are the top 10 most effective stomach exercises.

1. Bicycle Exercise
  2. Captain's Chair
  3. Exercise Ball Crunch
  4. Vertical Leg Crunch
  5. Torso Track
  6. Long Arm Crunch
  7. Reverse Crunch
  8. Full Vertical Crunch
  9. Ab Rocker
  10. Plank on Elbows and Toes

I rarely do regular crunches and prefer the Bicyle Exercise. Is that as harmful to the spine as regular situps and crunches? (I have a poor lower back, hence the question)

According to a study conducted by San Diego University, these are the top 10 most effective stomach exercises.

1. Bicycle Exercise
  2. Captain's Chair
  3. Exercise Ball Crunch
  4. Vertical Leg Crunch
  5. Torso Track
  6. Long Arm Crunch
  7. Reverse Crunch
  8. Full Vertical Crunch
  9. Ab Rocker
  10. Plank on Elbows and Toes

I rarely do regular crunches and prefer the Bicyle Exercise. Is that as harmful to the spine as regular situps and crunches? (I have a poor lower back, hence the question)

Some great responses.

Tigersocks, good points. If I was going to recommend any flexion exercises, I guess I would want to make sure they are balanced with extension, but it still doesn't give me a good enough reason to put them back into my program. Bottom line is that flexion exercises can be harmful to the back. Love Kettlebells and the Turkish Get Up is not the same without them.

Tking, the lying leg lifts also put a lot of strain on the low back so be careful.

Ross Koss, again, not sure how important isolating the abs really are, basically it is risk vs. reward, in my opinion, not worth it. I am reading Stu McGill's Low Back Disorders and it really makes you think. He is the world's leading back researching and authority. Good stuff.

Gstv, those look pretty hard! Not getting there any time soon. You are right about the ab-wheel. I start by doing Stability Ball Rollouts because you need to progress to the ab wheel

TopDog, not sure all the pros do them and even if they do, who cares. It's not just about golf, I am talking about back health too. You can do sit ups and still have good posture. They play golf for a living, they don't have a sedentary lifestyle like so many of us. I don't expect everyone to follow, I just want to give you something to think about it. For me it just makes sense, I can get ab work in other ways.

Davey H, Not sure if it possible to truly keep the back in neutral position during the sit up. If you can, more power to you. I think there is too much room for poor form with the sit up and crunch. That's what I've noticed.

Mostly, what I want is for everyone to think about the movement. Is it doing more harm then good?

Thanks,

Ant

DaveyH - A crunsh with the back straight will not work out you abdominals. The are responible for bending the upper part of the back closer to your pelvis (i'm not very sure on the english words in anatomy, sorry for that). If you have your back straight the abds maybe will get some static workput and the lipsoas will do most of the work. One may feel that the abs is working, but it's actuallt the lipsoas (hip-bender or sometning like that). This is also why many belive they can isolate the upper or lower abs. The feelling of using the lower abs is just a feeling in the lipsoas which lays under the abominal muscles.

Iliopsoas.gif

The more I think about your post GOLF FIT PRO.. The more I appreciate its wisdom.. I find any kind of crunch very hard to perform with consistent form, especially towards the end of the reps.. and its very hard to increase resistance.. so you end up doing sets of 50 or 100.. and high reps stresses the joints.. you often hear them clicking on every rep... What real life situations do we need to develop power by curling up from the abs.. much better to work the mid section dynamically and with perfect form/posture.. I am going to replace the crunches with the exercises you have recommended...

What are your thoughts on the exercise where you start standing normally, holding a weight down by your side, lower it to knee level and then straighten up using your obliques.. is this placing to much pressure on the discs or is it ok if done in control with the correct weight.. Thanks

quote: "Tking, the lying leg lifts also put a lot of strain on the low back so be careful."

Yes, you are exactly right. Hanging leg raises aren't a beginner exercise either. I've been doing both for around twenty years and don't recommend either to a person new to exercise. For the lying leg lifts, I make sure my lower back is on the floor to start and end each rep, legs go straight up, and clinched fists under my hips to remind the lower back to stay down. There are a number of different versions of exercises called "lying leg lifts". I don't do high reps-past 25-of anything. I add leg weights. I did regular situps for 25 years before finding the more advanced ab exercises and feel very lucky that I never suffered any kind of injury.

Kudos to you for working with people who have never exercised in their lives. I wouldn't have the patience.

Here's a link with a little video for those that don't know what a hanging leg raise is. They can also be done with the legs straight.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Rectus...egHipRaise.html

I think what I found most valuable in the original post was that GolfFitPro decided to take crunches/sit-ups out of work-out program for his audience. Too many people (including trainers) will create generalizations about exercises or stretches which they then apply to everyone. In this case, GolfFitPro looked at the needs and limitations of his current audience and made a decision about the exercises specially for them. Great Job!

BTW - Can you give insight on how hanging leg lifts can harm the back if done properly? Men's Health article - Hanging Leg Lifts

*edit - noticed hanging leg lifts was mentioned in a previous post

TKing- Good points, thanks for the video. funny, it gets really hard sometimes working with beginners but it can also be the most rewarding.

Skaffa- it's the Lying leg lifts that can put some stress on lower back. Just do them and you should see what I mean. TKing posted how he does them so try those. I don't usually recommend the hanging leg raise just because ppl tend to do them wrong- too fast and use momentum and round out lumbar spine. They are fine if you do them right.

Tigersocks- not a big fan of those side lifts that you are talking about. The obliques are used in rotation (more importantly anti-rotation), that exercise uses the quadratus lumborum in low back.

Crew_138- There are millions of trainers and programs that still use the sit ups, etc. Sometimes the time/space/equipment factor gets in the way of training and ppl just do what they have always been doing. Like I said, just doesn't make sense anymore for me and my clients.

Ant

Skaffa- it's the Lying leg lifts that can put some stress on lower back. Just do them and you should see what I mean. TKing posted how he does them so try those. I don't usually recommend the hanging leg raise just because ppl tend to do them wrong- too fast and use momentum and round out lumbar spine. They are fine if you do them right.

Great! I'm already doing the hanging leg lifts with a concentration on my form to reduce the momentum effects. I found that they work the abs really nicely and take the impact of my back.

BTW - I'll sometimes use the hanging arm slings which I think would help a lot of beginners with this exercise.

• 1 year later...
Very intersting... Most people place far too much emphasis on the front of the body rather than the back.. and end up with huge inbalances... As a result people end up with strong abs and weak back extensors, strong hip flexors and weak hip abductors.. and strong chest and shoulders and weak lats and upper back.. All of these contribute to the C posture.. not to mention sitting whilst driving, working and watching TV... I recently read that its a good idea to do your extensor exercises before the flexor ones... So before you do your planks, or ball crunches.. do some 'dirty dogs' or the like that work the hip abductors... perhaps with ankle weights when it becomes to easy.. I have recently started using kettlebells, and have to say that they are the best single exercise tool I have ever used, by a mile... If you want to work your back extensors, and about every other muscle in the body, this is the tool for you.. Great for doing Turkish get ups with..

I'm strangely the exact opposite. My fear of becoming my father with 2 herniated discs drove me to make sure my back was the strongest part of my body... I actgually have an imbalance where my abs arent as strong as they need to be.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]