2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Intercostal Muscle strain recovery

Bigjay45

I had a tournament we played in Memorial Day weekend. I hadn't played in a month dealing with 4 herniated discs in my neck. was being patient. 

1st day was a skins match playing whistling straights the Irish course. First tee set up for a nice draw so I let it eat. When I did I hit a toe shot and man the club twisted and I felt a sharp pain in the middle of the back trail side

i kept playing most shots were ok. Then I got in a fairway bunker with not much room to hit the ball. To be honest should of just picked it up since it was a skins match and I definitely wasn’t getting a skin. But I didn’t played the shot and bam dead stop into the lip of the bunker. Again sharp pain actually took the breath away. I kept playing still not all shots hurt most did not. I ended toeing another driver and same thing happened. 

Day 2 day 1 of stroke play we played the meadows course black wolf run. Played most of the day with no pain then last couple of holes got tired and again toed the driver and instant pain. Finished the day 2 shots off the lead in 3rd place. 

Went back to the hotel and sat in the hot tub and had the wife run the theragun on me. It hurt pretty bad. But knew I had to fight through it if I wouldn’t of been in contention I might have withdrawn. 

so day 3 final round playing  The straights I was in real bad pain. Grounded a my 60 in warm ups multiple times. Couldn’t hit a ball worth a crap. Highly considering withdrawing. Since not only am I in severe pain playing the straights I know I’m gonna have to walk the course and it ended up being 12 miles by the time we’re done. The round literally took 6 hrs. And since I was in the last group out since we were playing for the championship. My group allowed my caddie to pick and clean and place all my putts and get my ball out of the hole. They were so understanding they new I was hurting bad at the turn I almost quit but just couldn’t bring myself to do so. So kept going the format we play is worst you can do is triple any hole. So in the back of my mind I was only 3 shots back at the turn. Let’s do it. so I ended up in 5th place 10 shots off the lead took max on the last 2 of last 3 holes. 

Sorry for the long winded story but wanted to give some substance to my post. 

Still not sure what was going on went to the hotel and later down. Got up next day and had trouble driving the 4hrs home. 

so I’m curious what others have experienced for recovery times. It’s been 16 days and I have swung a club. Today I have no pain I have swung a club in my yard full swings no pain at all. I’m scared to hit ball because of what ingrained my head the last time I played. 

I was gonna go play a round today and decided against it. 

my next tournament is the 24th & 25th in lake Geneva national in Wisconsin. Then home for 4 days and leave for 3 day event in Branson Missouri both these tournaments are considered majors so double points events. 

So from experience should I just wait till my tournament to play or go and try and hit some balls? Seriously thinking I will just take it easy all week this week and if anything go early next week.  It also in my mind is give my self the 2 more weeks of recovery and don’t swing till warm ups for the tournament. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0681 Copy.jpeg

Late last fall I tweaked something - not sure if it was intercostals or serratus, but it was mid-back, lead side. I couldn't pinpoint the exact time I injured it, so it may have been overuse or too much practicing off of mats.

It was not quite as painful as what you describe, but it bothered me on all full swings. I tried ice, light stretching, Theragun, foam roller, etc.

It took several months for it to go away.

Male, 51, generally average athletic shape for my age.

Had something similar pain for a week over my trail flank side  just below my ribs  

I was right side bending to much without the proper axis tilt and strain my obliques when I was hitting my irons trying something new 

Massage and rest for a week now I can stretch and  side bends again and bring my arms to reach my knee level 

Thank you for your responses. So what do you think? I’ve already committed to waiting till Monday to consider playing a round. Or should I just wait the extra 5 days and try and go Saturday morning of the tournament? I got to surgeon tomorrow and evaluate the situation with my neck. I’m waiting to get another epidural steroid injection till I need it. Considering next week like Tuesday to make sure I’m numb for the tournament. I literally need to place top 5 or betters these next 2 majors and I think I can shut it down if need be for another month. Points wise I think I can still get a invite to the national championship in October. My main concern is making it to Hilton head in October. The caveat is this they have me D flight right now so I’m over handicapped! I’m considering moving to C flight just for shear fact i out drive everyone in my flight by 50-75 yards now. And to be honest I’m having trouble playing the short tee boxes. I’m always in that strange yardage into the green. Even though I’m 45 now I still have a driver swing speed of 113-115 carry 270ish I’m hitting my 4 iron 222. Thanks 

Edited by Bigjay45

I tore my intercostal muscle a few years back after hitting a root on my follow through and stopping abruptly, it probably the worst pain i've played golf with, as the tear is on the side that reoccurs every time you hit a ball and interacting with the ground, there is no real cure other than rest, but it's ribs, so not much they can do, you'll feel it for a while, just make sure to not turn it into a chronic injury, best advice is see a sports physio.

On 6/13/2023 at 12:37 PM, Bigjay45 said:

I had a tournament we played in Memorial Day weekend. I hadn't played in a month dealing with 4 herniated discs in my neck. was being patient. 

1st day was a skins match playing whistling straights the Irish course. First tee set up for a nice draw so I let it eat. When I did I hit a toe shot and man the club twisted and I felt a sharp pain in the middle of the back trail side

i kept playing most shots were ok. Then I got in a fairway bunker with not much room to hit the ball. To be honest should of just picked it up since it was a skins match and I definitely wasn’t getting a skin. But I didn’t played the shot and bam dead stop into the lip of the bunker. Again sharp pain actually took the breath away. I kept playing still not all shots hurt most did not. I ended toeing another driver and same thing happened. 

Day 2 day 1 of stroke play we played the meadows course black wolf run. Played most of the day with no pain then last couple of holes got tired and again toed the driver and instant pain. Finished the day 2 shots off the lead in 3rd place. 

Went back to the hotel and sat in the hot tub and had the wife run the theragun on me. It hurt pretty bad. But knew I had to fight through it if I wouldn’t of been in contention I might have withdrawn. 

so day 3 final round playing  The straights I was in real bad pain. Grounded a my 60 in warm ups multiple times. Couldn’t hit a ball worth a crap. Highly considering withdrawing. Since not only am I in severe pain playing the straights I know I’m gonna have to walk the course and it ended up being 12 miles by the time we’re done. The round literally took 6 hrs. And since I was in the last group out since we were playing for the championship. My group allowed my caddie to pick and clean and place all my putts and get my ball out of the hole. They were so understanding they new I was hurting bad at the turn I almost quit but just couldn’t bring myself to do so. So kept going the format we play is worst you can do is triple any hole. So in the back of my mind I was only 3 shots back at the turn. Let’s do it. so I ended up in 5th place 10 shots off the lead took max on the last 2 of last 3 holes. 

Sorry for the long winded story but wanted to give some substance to my post. 

Still not sure what was going on went to the hotel and later down. Got up next day and had trouble driving the 4hrs home. 

so I’m curious what others have experienced for recovery times. It’s been 16 days and I have swung a club. Today I have no pain I have swung a club in my yard full swings no pain at all. I’m scared to hit ball because of what ingrained my head the last time I played. 

I was gonna go play a round today and decided against it. 

my next tournament is the 24th & 25th in lake Geneva national in Wisconsin. Then home for 4 days and leave for 3 day event in Branson Missouri both these tournaments are considered majors so double points events. 

So from experience should I just wait till my tournament to play or go and try and hit some balls? Seriously thinking I will just take it easy all week this week and if anything go early next week.  It also in my mind is give my self the 2 more weeks of recovery and don’t swing till warm ups for the tournament. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0681 Copy.jpeg

Mine took a round of steroids and 1 month not swinging a club. After that I was good to go and no problems since. I  have a coworker that had on as well and he didn’t stop and is still dealing with it over 2 years now. 

Edited by airjammer
Can’t spell

2 hours ago, dblinden said:

I have to disagree with the above. Much better to seek anecdotal advice from non-medical amateur golfers on an online forum who all hit their 4 irons 222 yards. 

Or as Monte says: "All tips welcome; no instruction needed".

I’m not looking for medical advice. More as time of recovery for similar injuries. like a post below who said a month with no swinging I’m approaching a month. I’m pretty much pain free and can swing a club with out pain just haven’t put a ball down yet. 

I’m sitting waiting to see my surgeon now for my 4 herniated discs in my neck. I know him quit well he did my back surgery 12 years ago and is my brother’s neighbor. So he is some what of a friend also. He is the one who told me last month to go play. 

While I haven’t saw a doctor for my ribs since there isn’t anything they can do for it anyway. 

these numbers are a little off cause I’m not hitting a pro v1x it’s crappy ball at XGolf. 

I was a little off on my swing speed I average 110 not 115. But on the course hitting a pro v1x I do get the extra 10 yards. 

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_0033.jpeg

Edited by Bigjay45

2 hours ago, airjammer said:

Mine took a round of steroids and 1 month not swinging a club. After that I was good to go and no problems since. I  have a coworker that had on as well and he didn’t stop and is still dealing with it over 2 years now. 

That’s what I’m afraid of. To be honest I’m scared to put a ball down. I played through so much pain the last time It’s like in the back of my head it’s gonna hurt when I hit a ball. 

I have made several full speed swings in my yard just not with a ball yet. No pain.

I do have a round of prednisone at home they gave me for my neck. I didn’t take it. Since I was getting a epidural steroid injection in a few days. I guess I could take it now. 

thanks for chiming in