2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Super High ball flight

Cloran

I was at the range today. I didn't notice just how high I hit my irons (slingshot oss) until a teenager came by hitting his mizzys... He was absolutely puring every shot and had a penetrating ball flight. We hit the same clubs the same distances (8 iron 145) but his ball flight seemed MUCH more predictable and accurate. I was easily 30 feet higher than him at the apex. My ball flight was super suseptable to the wind we had gusting today, he could have cared less about the wind... just lined up and fired away...

I love my OSS's, but I just bought a set of Eye 2's off ebay and they should be here in a week or so. Hope that helps with the ball flight.

As accurate as the OSS's have made my iron play (extremely helpfull over the last year or so) could the really high ball flight be more of hinderence than I think? Is it really better to have a lower ball flight on day other than windy ones? Could they be hurting more than helping?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you've advanced past game improvement clubs...the slingshots are designed to elevate the shot.

Good luck and congrats on getting over the hump.

You just put a great big smile on my face!!! :) I hope you're right. I play to about a 13 hc but that's mostly chipping and putting. We'll find out in a few weeks if I have progressed enough when I get my Ping Eye 2's and have a chance to regrip them... thanks for the kind words.

Good luck. Bear in mind, and this might not happen to you, but I found a three steps forward two steps back adjustment when I switched to more serious irons. Yes, my ball flight came down, but so did my distance. It did not take long to figure out, but it did take some getting used to before I was as long as I was before. In my case, it made me pay a lot more attention to the more serious details of the full swing like hitting down, creating load, lag, and tempo. My irons before had so much fat weight in the back, anyone could get them airborne.

Good luck. Bear in mind, and this might not happen to you, but I found a three steps forward two steps back adjustment when I switched to more serious irons. Yes, my ball flight came down, but so did my distance. It did not take long to figure out, but it did take some getting used to before I was as long as I was before. In my case, it made me pay a lot more attention to the more serious details of the full swing like hitting down, creating load, lag, and tempo. My irons before had so much fat weight in the back, anyone could get them airborne.

Yeah, the lack of distance is something I know I will have to adjust to. I bought the pre + Eye 2's... the ones with the higher lofts. they are 1.5* higher than what I play now, and 1" shorter to boot!! Expecting at least a full 1 club loss. Time to let go of the ego...

Yeah, the lack of distance is something I know I will have to adjust to. I bought the pre + Eye 2's... the ones with the higher lofts. they are 1.5* higher than what I play now, and 1" shorter to boot!! Expecting at least a full 1 club loss. Time to let go of the ego...

It is good to leave the ego in the trunk always, but especially when teenagers are afoot.

Eye2s will still take the ball on a fairly high flight, perhaps not quite as high as the OSS, but there is a lot of low weight on the pings. IF it was windy it might be the case that this teen was simply adjusting his shot pattern in order to practice a lower flight. I know that I get a lot of strange attention on windy days at my local range because I practice pretty much 100% knockdowns and extremely low shots. It is not entirely common to see folks hitting the ball this way, and it inevitably gets a lot of questions as to how to pull it off.

Comparing GI and low-CG ("players") irons can be a real mixed bag. With the typical super-GI 8-iron my stock swing would hit the ball on a pattern that I can only hit with a moon ball swing from my blade 7-iron. These GI clubs today simply take the ball high very quickly and it tends to just float out there like a shot from flier lie. Strangely, I'd call that kind of flight "penetrating," but in a different way than you meant in the original post.

If you notice that with the Eye 2s you are still hitting the ball higher than you would like, I'd recommend just sticking with them for a while nonetheless. It is possible to hit proper knockdowns and low trajectory shots with the Eye 2s (not as easily as blades), but in order to do so you really do need to "compress" the ball and have control of your release. Thinking big picture, if you get to the stage where you really, really need to control trajectory it would be best to be able to do so properly (ie, with your swing). The alternative would be to invest in some high CG (blades/players) irons, but if your swing is not quite "there" yet, these clubs will not take you there and may set you back some in terms of your immediate enjoyment of the game.

Cheers,

Tim