Any swing advice gratefully received

mikeybusa

two handicap looking for drills to improve
i have worked hard at improving my swing this winter although there is still miles to go as I am sure you will see if you view my swing!!

My ball flight with my irons is pretty straight now. Use to have big hook with my driver that was very low but this has also improved a bit as well over winter.

what I would love is for some advice and if possible drills that will help me action the advice.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest putting a headcover or old glove under your left arm pit. It will help to keep your arms from moving to fast and pulling a way from your body. You seem to have a tendency to pick the club up with you arms instead of turning it back with your body this drill should help with that. I would also say to try to turn that left shoulder behind the ball a little more. Focus of what body moves you need to make and not trying to put the club in certain positions. See if this helps at all.

miles to go? u r a 2 handicap. a few more miles and you'll be moving in next to tiger... :)

Exactly

If you are a 2 handicap there isn't much that you can do with your full swing. It must be pretty good to get you where you are now. To be honest with you the only way you can get better now is to track your game and see where you are loosing those two shots.

Then work on what you find is your weakness, which can't be that much.

Good Luck

i do completely see you point dlnlji about having got to two handicap but that is by geting absolutely everythin possible out of mental, short and putting parts of the game. therefore have been using the winter months to try to work on ways to get my ball striking improved. have been trying the glove under left armpit and notice makes a huge difference on the take away so will continue to work hard at that

miles to go? u r a 2 handicap. a few more miles and you'll be moving in next to tiger... :)

Exactly

If you are a 2 handicap there isn't much that you can do with your full swing. It must be pretty good to get you where you are now. To be honest with you the only way you can get better now is to track your game and see where you are loosing those two shots.

Then work on what you find is your weakness, which can't be that much.

Good Luck

Why are you concluding that a zero is the best he could be? He might be losing 4 or 5 shots somewhere, not just two!

OMG I am a three and if Tiger wants to give me ten shots game on,

Its really that simple.

us open conditions and you may want 15 but take 20 if he offers just to be on the safe side lol

back to the swing not what i like to see i prefer a more rotary swing having said that if you like the style of swing your using find a good teacher who can help you improve certain aspects of your swing

OMG I am a three and if Tiger wants to give me ten shots game on,

Its really that simple.

MIKEY: I agree 100% that you CAN improve your ball striking with the swing video evidence. You have a simple and solid swing, but you clearly would benefit from a little more "set" in the wrists (note: not from more "wrist action," keep that part of the swing the same). The advice about strengthening your grip is spot on, imo. A stronger top hand will give you more ability to "set." Congrats on getting down to a 2, but I agree with you, there is always room for improvement! Enjoy the journey.

+++++++++++++++++

Kenk, no offense intended to you personally, but I'd bet my daughter's education fund on Tiger in that bet.

Tiger is a legitimate +8, possibly a +10. His average score is around 69 on courses that rate in the upper 70s with slopes approaching 160. Literally, take the typical scratch player and Tiger, pair them up on ANY tour course in tour conditions (average of 77 rating, 155 slope). Playing 5 rounds, Tiger would beat the scratch by at least 7 strokes in all but one round. So, take a 3 handicap, give him 7 strokes...Tiger wins running away by 4 to 5 strokes.

Speaking from personal experience, I have some basis for comparison with the typical amateur and touring pros. I'm a +2, pretty experienced player, played with and against tour and major winners in my best days. I've played in a few Monday qualifiers in my area in the past few years. On my best day, I posted 2 under on a fairly difficult course (74 rating, 140 slope). I was 4 shots off the playoff. These are guys that have no status on any tour, scraping the bottom barrel. A legitimate +2 handicap player is at least 3 to 4 shots off the pace for the "worst" touring pros. So, a -3 handicap getting 7 shots from the best player in history, that's the definition of a long shot. IMHO. YMMV.

Cheers,

Tim

My Swing

On the swing advice I will have go at moving right hand under shaft slightly. I also noticed I think my left wrist is a little cupped at address but when try to get this straighter it just feels so wrong and I keep regripping. As for the swing looking tight that is what I have been working on in last six months but appears have gone to far. I have tried to make my legs a lot more stable to stop my sway which is gradually but slowly disappearing and stop myself coming so far inside to out

Tim if you could clarify how to get more set without more wrists action I would be very intrigued. Do you mean cocking rather than rotating wrists which i do enough of already?? (thanks for advice really enjoy hearing from people on this site as there appears to be whole lot of knowledge out there!

)

Playing Tiger

I have to agree about giving tiger just 10 shots. If I was playing on a tournament course off the tips I would be looking for virtually a shot a hole to put any money on it. I think unless the player is a two handicap who is still getting cut I would think the same would be similar.

Low handicappers working on swing

If when get to low handicap need to stop working on a swing then why do pros always work on there full swings. If players is happy staying still are likely to go backwards. I , like a lot of people on here I think would agree, enjoy the challenge attempting to improve the swing

I think at this point you should be working with a pro. Your swing looks real good. You do pick up the club and push your arm out side the plane at the beginning but you recover very well.

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

I am not offended I have had the same argument with people saying someone could not break ninety on a US Open course . I always play my best golf on tough courses my bread and butter is tee to green.

I would not bet my world on it but I really like my chances.

i wanna see the match lol

now back to the topic now here is your answer you can take it or leave it

your biggest problem is that you rotate your whole left arm as you take the club away

go ahead and play with your grip if you want but if you can rotate only your forearm then your going to get your wrists setting more

I am not offended I have had the same argument with people saying someone could not break ninety on a US Open course . I always play my best golf on tough courses my bread and butter is tee to green.

I would not bet my world on it but I really like my chances.

i wanna see the match lol

now back to the topic now here is your answer you can take it or leave it

your biggest problem is that you rotate your whole left arm as you take the club away

go ahead and play with your grip if you want but if you can rotate only your forearm then your going to get your wrists setting more

mizuno answered the question for me. Good spot.

Tim

Good swing...There may be a few small issues but good overall. If I were you, I would go see a good pro. You are playing Russian Roulette asking swing advice on the INTERNET. I won't take a lesson from just any pro. I surely wouldn't take a tip from someone on an INTERNET board that I know nothing about. Most of the golfers here are not at your level as a player. What do you think their teaching level is? :) There are a few here I would listen too but not many. This IS NOT saying they are wrong. I am just a suggesting you are more selective with swing advice. At one time I was close to a +2. I am now at least five shots higher than that. It all came from an ill advised swing change from a certified PGA profesional...Even those guys can be wrong...When I get back to the mainland, I am going to find someone I can trust and get it fixed...

replying to themouth I understand the point about being careful who accept advice from. I love this board for collecting a host of ideas and then deciding which ones I think will help to progress me the best. I posted my swing six months ago and it got slated which really helped though as there was lots of advice to progress. I think the swing is looking better now but am gratefully for further advice. I think my plan is to work on keeping left arm connected with good wrist **** and maintaining the flex in my right leg.

What you are getting is your arms are detatching from your body in the 1st move back causing you to have to lift your arms to take the club too the top of the swing......this is causing you to then drive your lower half towards the target and you having to detatch your arms from your body as you strike the ball and the arms have to cross over a ton to release the golf club :yes:

You need to take the club away as a unit in the 1st few feet with the club and the body turning back together as the toe of the club appears to stay on the target line and the butt of the club moves closer to your right leg......this will help you to keep the angle created in the left wrist at address and stop any of the wrist roll you have added in the 1st move back (this will feel as though you have almost increased the left wrist angle :wub: )............From here it is much easier for you to **** the club naturally as you can continue your turn to the top and be able to to make a much better downswing from here without losing any connection.

Get yourself an old cardboard box and place it on the toe of the club parrallel to the ball to target line and get a glove and place it deep in your left armpit from here you can turn the bdoy and the club away keeping the connection as the toe of the club stays close to the box and starts to move away in conjunction with the turn the club will then stay perpendicular to your spine.....At present you would drop the club and move the box out of the way. :yess:

Hope this helps............If you want to you can PM me I am from Manchester not a million miles away from you.

Cheers Dan

just wondering if the glove in the left armpit is going to encourage a one plane swing?? I belive my swing is more of a two plane swing so will this drill lead to me trying to change too much or does it have benefits whatever. Been trying it at range and find it makes me feel very restricted and complete loss of quality of strike.

This will initially feel restricted due to you getting the club moving too far away from you in the 1st move at present......You take the club out up and around without the correct setting of the club it is this move which leads you to having to drop the club to the inside and drive your legs which causes you to come up and out of the shot.

This will change the plane of your swing but 1 would not name it 1 or 2 plane yours at the moment is un connected and out of synch where as the newer one will be more connected and in synch.

You may feel to cramped due to the rolling of the club you do at the moment with a more connected turn will pull the club more behind you as you are turning you need to keep the club more in synch......You can do this by extending an old mid iron and adding a piece of dowling to the end to extend the club so that it reaches your belly button from here if you turn away you will keep the glove in place but also keep the body and the club in synch. ;)

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dan ;)

What you are getting is your arms are detatching from your body in the 1st move back causing you to have to lift your arms to take the club too the top of the swing......this is causing you to then drive your lower half towards the target and you having to detatch your arms from your body as you strike the ball and the arms have to cross over a ton to release the golf club ;)

You need to take the club away as a unit in the 1st few feet with the club and the body turning back together as the toe of the club appears to stay on the target line and the butt of the club moves closer to your right leg......this will help you to keep the angle created in the left wrist at address and stop any of the wrist roll you have added in the 1st move back (this will feel as though you have almost increased the left wrist angle ;) )............From here it is much easier for you to **** the club naturally as you can continue your turn to the top and be able to to make a much better downswing from here without losing any connection.

Get yourself an old cardboard box and place it on the toe of the club parrallel to the ball to target line and get a glove and place it deep in your left armpit from here you can turn the bdoy and the club away keeping the connection as the toe of the club stays close to the box and starts to move away in conjunction with the turn the club will then stay perpendicular to your spine.....At present you would drop the club and move the box out of the way.

You may feel to cramped due to the rolling of the club you do at the moment with a more connected turn will pull the club more behind you as you are turning you need to keep the club more in synch......You can do this by extending an old mid iron and adding a piece of dowling to the end to extend the club so that it reaches your belly button from here if you turn away you will keep the glove in place but also keep the body and the club in synch. ;)

Mikey, this is straight up "one plane" swing advice, IMO.(I dont really like calling it that but you know what I mean.) If your'e trying to create an upright(ish) swing, then your'e arms definitley NEED to work out and away from your'e body at the start of the backswing a bit. And in that light I would also suggest that you quit trying to brace your'e right leg SO much, let your hip turn some more away from the target, and shift SOME weight onto your right foot going away. this should create some more room for your arms to swing up without getting above your swing plane going back, and allow you to set the club in a comfortable manner. I also agree with the others who say, LOOSEN UP! looks like your'e trying to steer your'e swing/shot. let go of the result and just try to excecute a decent swing. My .02.

I don't know boys-I see a big flip....he just doesn't dump it on the ball. The spine comes up to accommodate the flip. A 2 means you time it well but I see a lot of room for improvement. Get some impact hands and then you can maintain your spine tilt and you're shoulders will actually stay on plane and life will be so good.

What you are getting is your arms are detatching from your body in the 1st move back causing you to have to lift your arms to take the club too the top of the swing......this is causing you to then drive your lower half towards the target and you having to detatch your arms from your body as you strike the ball and the arms have to cross over a ton to release the golf club :)

You need to take the club away as a unit in the 1st few feet with the club and the body turning back together as the toe of the club appears to stay on the target line and the butt of the club moves closer to your right leg......this will help you to keep the angle created in the left wrist at address and stop any of the wrist roll you have added in the 1st move back (this will feel as though you have almost increased the left wrist angle :) )............From here it is much easier for you to **** the club naturally as you can continue your turn to the top and be able to to make a much better downswing from here without losing any connection.

Get yourself an old cardboard box and place it on the toe of the club parrallel to the ball to target line and get a glove and place it deep in your left armpit from here you can turn the bdoy and the club away keeping the connection as the toe of the club stays close to the box and starts to move away in conjunction with the turn the club will then stay perpendicular to your spine.....At present you would drop the club and move the box out of the way.

Mikey, this is straight up "one plane" swing advice, IMO.(I dont really like calling it that but you know what I mean.) If your'e trying to create an upright(ish) swing, then your'e arms definitley NEED to work out and away from your'e body at the start of the backswing a bit. And in that light I would also suggest that you quit trying to brace your'e right leg SO much, let your hip turn some more away from the target, and shift SOME weight onto your right foot going away. this should create some more room for your arms to swing up without getting above your swing plane going back, and allow you to set the club in a comfortable manner. I also agree with the others who say, LOOSEN UP! looks like your'e trying to steer your'e swing/shot. let go of the result and just try to excecute a decent swing. My .02.

I would not say that it is right up 1 plane swing talk as this is not what I teach I am looking for the synchronisation of the arms and the body going back.........At present the arms and the torso through the pivot do not match up.

If the turn occurs in the 1st move the hips will begin to get deeper in the backswing as they are being carried there with the correct pivot action.

If you settle more weight into the right side in the 1st move then the weight will start to slide over to the right side as opposed to getting the correct setup angles and then allowing the pivot to take care of thew weight transfer :cheesy:

The steering appearance to the shot is because the club has got to be manipulated so that it can be squared at impact.

Cheers Dan

I don't know boys-I see a big flip....he just doesn't dump it on the ball. The spine comes up to accommodate the flip. A 2 means you time it well but I see a lot of room for improvement. Get some impact hands and then you can maintain your spine tilt and you're shoulders will actually stay on plane and life will be so good.

The flip is there because of the leg drive and due to the upright backswing if the arms were deeper at the top and more in synch then he could rotate through the shot hold onto the angles he has created and let it go left with the correct compression via the leverage....he will then feel more on top of the shot as opposed to the sliding legs which causes the backing out and the flippy release. :)

Cheers Dan