2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

I have many swing issues, but is my collapsing right arm the biggest?

PermaHack

I struggle with consistency and a pull hook.  Looking at two recent videos (today and a week ago), it seems like my right arm is way to pinned to my body and I have zero width.  Also, my right shoulder kills me after the range or a round.  Any advice?  Thanks.

I think the right arm/elbow action is on your list.

But even higher up on that list… setup.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

It doesn’t collapse that badly.  

Setup too upright and hip sway are the issues you need to address.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Ya I think your right arm looks more narrow than it is because you are so overly connected and your arm swing is a little flat. Probably wouldn’t be first on the list to fix but not my preference for a number of reasons. 

You make a nice athletic shift off the ball in your takeaway, but then you camp out on your right side all the way to the top of the swing and then throw your arms at it from the top. You are missing any sort of transition. The shift back toward the left leg should happen sooner in your backswing. 

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

It doesn’t collapse that badly.  

Setup too upright and hip sway are the issues you need to address.

Thanks for the reply.  I do agree that it looks like I’m set up to play defense in basketball or something, head and shoulders up and back and upright.  I’m guessing get my head and shoulders a bit more rounded down overtop of the ball. 

22 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Ya I think your right arm looks more narrow than it is because you are so overly connected and your arm swing is a little flat. Probably wouldn’t be first on the list to fix but not my preference for a number of reasons. 

You make a nice athletic shift off the ball in your takeaway, but then you camp out on your right side all the way to the top of the swing and then throw your arms at it from the top. You are missing any sort of transition. The shift back toward the left leg should happen sooner in your backswing. 

Thanks for the analysis.  I agree, my transition is too quick and and start everything with my hands/arms/shoulders and kinda yank at the ball.  I’m guessing I need to make more of a lateral shift with the hips, a “hip bump” to initiate things.  

Thats probably why I sky any driver I hit regardless of loft, the camping back makes my launch angle way too high.

Edited by PermaHack

Love watching video so thanks for posting.    I would rhetorically ask why, in the down-the-line capture,  you aim 4 different times with your feet then produce a swing flat footed.    A more advanced sequence reverses the process- aim once with the feet and then use the feet 4 times to produce the swing.    The feet are the motor. 

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

It showed up on the FO video and really showed up on the DTL vid - your swing suddenly speeds up on the follow through. And just before impact (see pic below), it seems like you've got a lot of "oh asterisks!😳" going on.  It's more like a procedure on the edge than a swing (and I mean 'swing' in a general sense). If you could get the rhythm of swinging back into things, I think you'd be better off. 

I don't know what this drill is called, but you line up a bunch of balls perpendicular to the target line. You start swinging the club back and forth. Once you've established that swinging rhythm, you advance towards the line of balls (still swinging back and forth), hitting one ball per swing. It might at least give you a sense of striking the ball with a swing, if nothing else.

E33A637E-2694-4E13-915A-52223A95A20F.png

3 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

It showed up on the FO video and really showed up on the DTL vid - your swing suddenly speeds up on the follow through. And just before impact (see pic below), it seems like you've got a lot of "oh asterisks!😳" going on.  It's more like a procedure on the edge than a swing (and I mean 'swing' in a general sense). If you could get the rhythm of swinging back into things, I think you'd be better off. 

I don't know what this drill is called, but you line up a bunch of balls perpendicular to the target line. You start swinging the club back and forth. Once you've established that swinging rhythm, you advance towards the line of balls (still swinging back and forth), hitting one ball per swing. It might at least give you a sense of striking the ball with a swing, if nothing else.

E33A637E-2694-4E13-915A-52223A95A20F.png

Definitely a “hit instinct” as opposed to swinging at target and letting the ball get in the way.

Do you mean the machine gun drill like at 19:50 here?

7 minutes ago, PermaHack said:

Definitely a “hit instinct” as opposed to swinging at target and letting the ball get in the way.

Do you mean the machine gun drill like at 19:50 here?

Machine gun drill?!? So, THAT'S what it's called! DOH! I spent hours looking for it on Youtube one night. I thought it might've been called the 'walk through' drill, but I just kept coming across videos about Gary Player's weird follow through.

So yes, I mean the 'machine gun' drill. Some of the things I've noticed doing it is that the swing seems to take longer. To me, it also reminds me of swinging on a playground swing, so that when I want to add a little more "juice", it's added at the top of the swing (where a dad might give his kid a push) and not where a ball might be.

Well, if this drill works out for you, you can..."step up" to Fred Astaire's more advanced version.😎

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

Machine gun drill?!? So, THAT'S what it's called! DOH! I spent hours looking for it on Youtube one night. I thought it might've been called the 'walk through' drill, but I just kept coming across videos about Gary Player's weird follow through.

So yes, I mean the 'machine gun' drill. Some of the things I've noticed doing it is that the swing seems to take longer. To me, it also reminds me of swinging on a playground swing, so that when I want to add a little more "juice", it's added at the top of the swing (where a dad might give his kid a push) and not where a ball might be.

Well, if this drill works out for you, you can..."step up" to Fred Astaire's more advanced version.😎

I’ll be sure to get some new fancy shoes for the advanced Fred moves, ha. 

What you’re saying also explains why when I went with a more MDLT mindset in some rounds (set up, think of the target, visualize it, and swing at the target) I play better.  That swing at the target might be short circuiting my hit instinct.  

• Like 1