2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Need help across the full bag, but especially woods + driver. Slice right and smother pulls

TurnDog69

Hey there- thanks for stopping by. I am a 17 hcp and break 90 maybe once every 10 or so times out mainly because I simply don't get off the tee. 

I feel massively uncomfortable with longer clubs and am beyond inconsistent. My miss is a HARD slider right and a very rare double cross hard smother pool. The ball starts a bit right typically and slides HARD right as it apexes. 

I tried to stop watching videos of myself because I just found it had me chasing positions instead of trying to hit the ball well. I don't have a ton of time to devote to practice with a 6 month old at home. At this point my goal is basically just not to embarrass myself. 

There are two 5 iron swings & two driver swings. I'm trying to "feel" the trail arm uncurling before starting the downswing. If I don't do that my club kicks out hard and I come way outside in 

IMG_0 (3).MOV

IMG_0 (2).MOV

IMG_0 (1).MOV

IMG_0.MOV

Edited by TurnDog69

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monte said this about your swing last year...

On 10/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Hip movement and shift is poor and arms are very late in sequence.

This is not a quick fix.  You were doing it when yiu we’re playing like a 12, you were just compensating better.

...and the exact same thing is still true. You make no move to get off your back leg before the downswing starts so you're attempting to rotate and open your lead hip without any weight on it, causing tons of separation between your knees as your right knee gets left behind. You will "fire" the hips that have pressure on them, so by starting your downswing on your back leg you guarantee that your right hip is going to fire out towards the ball, which it does, causing massive early extension, path issues, and flipping. Any material Monte gave you regarding proper weight shift and late hands is still just as relevant now as last year. If you have questions about said material it would be good to post those here, because I can't imagine he hasn't already told you what the issues are. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Monte said this about your swing last year...

...and the exact same thing is still true. You make no move to get off your back leg before the downswing starts so you're attempting to rotate and open your lead hip without any weight on it, causing tons of separation between your knees as your right knee gets left behind. You will "fire" the hips that have pressure on them, so by starting your downswing on your back leg you guarantee that your right hip is going to fire out towards the ball, which it does, causing massive early extension, path issues, and flipping. Any material Monte gave you regarding proper weight shift and late hands is still just as relevant now as last year. If you have questions about said material it would be good to post those here, because I can't imagine he hasn't already told you what the issues are. 

Appreciate you! Thanks for the gently put tough love. 

I did get a lesson with Monte right after that swing video comment. He said the same thing as that comment (which obviously was expected) and the directive was to look for ways to get my hands moving down faster.

I over turned a lot of rocks on this forum and elsewhere and worked on it for about 6 months or so, but what would show up on video was this odd movement where my legs would hyper extend backwards and I’d swing massively outside in. 

Anyway, this isn’t me defending myself or claiming the advice was incorrect, just that I searched and applied but never found a way to make show up what I need to make show up on video. Idk if I couldn’t find the right feel or if I just did it wrong. Maybe part of this was hoping someone would see something else that was causing that. Like something earlier in the sequence that caused me to struggle with hands earlier.  Probably a bit of wishful thinking haha

Anyway, appreciate you stopping by and taking the time!

Edited by TurnDog69

Hey man, you have a wonderful golf swing. In my opinion the lefts are coming in because p6 to p9 is too tilted and too wide. 

the left side of your body ends up too high for too long in the downswing, and there has to be a lot of twist of the handle to get the ball started on line. 

Make practice swings where there is very little (almost none) right side bend in the downswing, which should keep the handle more forward and slow the clubface closure.

If you have any questions DM me

best  

12 hours ago, TurnDog69 said:

Appreciate you! Thanks for the gently put tough love. 

I did get a lesson with Monte right after that swing video comment. He said the same thing as that comment (which obviously was expected) and the directive was to look for ways to get my hands moving down faster.

I over turned a lot of rocks on this forum and elsewhere and worked on it for about 6 months or so, but what would show up on video was this odd movement where my legs would hyper extend backwards and I’d swing massively outside in. 

Anyway, this isn’t me defending myself or claiming the advice was incorrect, just that I searched and applied but never found a way to make show up what I need to make show up on video. Idk if I couldn’t find the right feel or if I just did it wrong. Maybe part of this was hoping someone would see something else that was causing that. Like something earlier in the sequence that caused me to struggle with hands earlier.  Probably a bit of wishful thinking haha

Anyway, appreciate you stopping by and taking the time!

No worries! I'd be curious to see that "hyper extend" if you have the video. The overall sequence/pivot issue is this:

TurnVAdam1.gif.4ba7b065dac4bb58bae4e4b1507e8599.gif

It's kinda the curse of being athletic/strong. If you've had success in other sports because of your build then that is likely hurting you here. You get turned so deep back into your right side that you physically can not create the necessary speed to reverse that in time if you start that process at the beginning of your downswing. If we focus on your right foot, you've continued adding pressure and rolling on to the outside of it all the way to the top of the backswing. Once your downswing starts that clubhead is going to be at the ball in 1/4 of a second, and in that time you're trying to twice as many things as Adam (and all pros). Those things are:

1) Get your weight back to the center(ish) of your trail foot
2) Get your weight *off* the trail foot into into your lead foot
3) With the lead foot, start pushing up and back to clear the left hip
4) Have the lead leg straightened and the left hip shove backwards somewhere around the point of impact

You're trying to run through all 4 of those steps in that 1/4 second window of the downswing, whereas Adam has already completed #1 and is at least halfway through #2 by the time his backswing has finished.

TurnVAdam2.gif.ac7ae8d38ddeba7c1f36c133371f7060.gif

Focus specifically on the right thigh/knee. Because you're still firmly planted on it, that leg comes straight towards the camera while your left leg attempts to open up without any of the weight on it you need to actually deliver on that. Adam meanwhile has equal amounts of his right leg moving towards the target as his left. He is easily at or beyond 70% pressure on that front foot, whereas you're not even to 50/50 yet. The result is this:

TurnDogVScott.gif.9339de6925ca7a8b9b3d2631868518ff.gif

A massive thrust of your right side up and towards the ball with the accompanying loss of spine angle and early extension. Unavoidable when that side is the one with the weight on it. Scott's right side meanwhile kicks up substantially less, replaced by  his left side is clearing far more. ALL possible via proper weight shift and re-centering.

Regarding the struggles that you have had with this, I can virtually guarantee that everything you have tried has started from this same overly loaded, stuck on the right side position that you've tried to add things on top of. See it all the time unfortunately, heh. The goal you'll want to feel is getting back to 50/50 between your feet by the time the backswing concludes, and for that something like the pre-shot routine Adrian Meronk uses might be helpful. Here is another angle of it so you can really see the intent. It's simply a mock backswing with an exaggerated pump into the front leg to emphasize getting off the back leg and into the front at the top.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@Valtiel

Appreciate the insights. I can see what you mean especially in the video where Scott is bumping laterally towards targets and I'm starting to just spin in place. I appreciate you taking the time to go through that. The visualizations are helpful. 

I'll grab some vids next time I'm at the range and see if I get on the right track. Half the battle of trying to do lessons with good instructors on video is I'm never sure what to do when I get stuck after the lesson ends. 

I agree with @Valtiel that you need better leg movement, but I since you are pretty athletic, I would advise against consciously moving your legs. I think natural athletes (or experienced ones) already have good lower body reactions. The problem is you bring the club inside in the backswing, which causes the over rotation, and you start the downswing with the hands coming down instead of out towards the ball, which gets you stuck. Notice how your right shoulder stays up and back as you start the downswing.

I would work on two things: bring the club back more up the plane instead of from the inside and work on release in the downswing. At the moment you keep the hands back and sort of pull the club down, rather than release the club and throw the clubhead. Work on those upper body things and see how they help.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star