My Mevo Plus vs Garmin R10 Comparison

Babydaddy

Hi- I am 51 and currently hovering around scratch or so- I have owned a Garmin R10 for about 8 months or so- I recently got a used Mevo Plus with Pro Package and then just added the face package today, actually. 

I decided that I wanted to break 70 soon, and I sensed that practicing with a launch monitor would help. I use these exclusively outdoors at the range.

I first want to say that for what it is, the Garmin R10 is an EXCELLENT value. I am particular about setup and I bought a leveling stand for the R10. I also bought Awesome Golf as well. Like many, I learned to trust Awesome Golf more than the Garmin app- however, I feel that sometimes the AOA and other club data was wonky at times even with the Awesome golf app. I would say the swing speed and much of the ball data was usually somewhat in the ball park. The shot shape being inaccurate was the biggest issue for me with the R10- even with Awesome Golf. Now, when odd things happen in terms of strike, I can see them accurately represented in the FS golf app- I know that I can trust the data- so it's like a pro standing there saying "yeah, you hit that high and on the toe, so it's going to snipe like that- you're going to see the spin change badly etc... It's like someone has come along and unlocked the mystery of what happens with especially crappy shots. 98% of the time the spin data outdoors makes total sense. 

I feel that the both the Garmin app and Awesome golf are rather cartoonish and that is a turnoff as well. 

What turned me towards the Mevo plus was first and foremost the built in alignment tool and tilt and roll data to get consistent set up. That is a REALLY big deal. I was guessing with alignment rods etc... with the R10- I am no longer guessing about set up. YES, there is some fiddling that goes along with the Mevo plus, but it's worth getting accurate data.

Second thing that made the Mevo plus seem worth it was the professional look and feel of the software. One thing that may seem small, but the shot trace from the DTL perspective actually shows the entire shot shape relative to the target line. It's really a great and super helpful touch. I also like being able to normalize for range ball use. I find this feature to work wonderfully- it has been hugely helpful to me as far as the utility of the Mevo Plus as an actual practice and fitting tool. 

The way the FS golf app is laid out just makes so much sense, and it was clearly designed by people who understand how the data will be viewed and used. 

When in the heat of a practice session, the navigation of the app flows wonderfully and allows me to get down to brass tacks in actually using data during the session. To me, the software gets out of the way and allows me to immerse myself in the process of processing the feedback from the unit. 

I took a gamble with the unit but am happy to report that the club data and D-Plane information are spot freaking on. Just the pro package has been mind opening for me with my instructor in terms of seeing how all these parameters tie together. For example, seeing the correlation between low point and AOA, etc...

I tested the face impact today- and it's even better than advertised. I can't believe how close it was with NO set up or calibration. 

I realize the Mevo Plus is WAY more expensive, especially when you factor in the add ons, but I feel it is worth it if you are able to swing it financially. 

Things like updating the firmware and some of the settings in the Mevo apps seem relative straightforward. 

The ability to prioritize certain data panels on your display; the ability to set parameters for a practice session; the ability to have multi-camera angles that correlate with the per-shot data; the fusion technology that utilizes the onboard camera to assist in accuracy for club data. 

I am extremely pleased with the Flightscope customer support. They have been immediately accessible and very, very helpful. 

When you factor all this out- in my opinion, you get a LOT for your money. 

Now- the rub here is what makes something "worth it?" That is something that each person has to decide. I'll explain how I got there.

The novelty of knowing somewhat accurate swing speed and baffling shot shape and AOA numbers wore off with the Garmin for me. I became a Highschool golf coach this school year and I found myself communicating with the kids about things like face to path etc... but I knew that I really wanted to dive into club and face data to understand the ins and outs of how I was presenting the club to the ball. At times, the R10 felt like a novelty on the range. Like a practice aid, not a diagnostic tool that could teach me about the game in a new light. I do feel that the MP is a serious tool for people who really want to improve. 

The Mevo Plus has put me on the fast track to seeing and understanding so much about the relationship between elements of impact and the swing itself. Just today I decided to test how I presented the club to the ball by using a shallowing move in transition. I was able to not only see the divots, but look at face impact data along with spin and shot shape, to see how this played out in real life. The yardages are very much in line with my laser range finder, and I have been able to identify the true range of some of my clubs, like today with my 5 iron and my SW. It has expanded my understanding of how to plan for gapping in real world situations. 

I feel this is priceless. - I love the FS golf app and have not even gotten to the skills app yet.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you are on the fence like I was

Edited by Babydaddy
  • Like 2

Very interesting report, good write up.

I wrote up some stats a year ago from range use of the R10 comparing the numbers to TopTracer (levelling stand etc.). Shot shape was only correct about 80% of the time, and the club data (calculated) yes was iffy, particularly AofA (I knew my club data numbers pretty well from a Quad session).

BUT

I then used the R10 into a net but with foil stickers for spin numbers. Obviously into a net I couldn't deduce a comparison to TopTracer but it seemed like a better set of numbers all round, which would make sense when the spin metric is better.

As you say, very different price points however.

22 hours ago, Babydaddy said:

Hi- I am 51 and currently hovering around scratch or so- I have owned a Garmin R10 for about 8 months or so- I recently got a used Mevo Plus with Pro Package and then just added the face package today, actually. 

I decided that I wanted to break 70 soon, and I sensed that practicing with a launch monitor would help. I use these exclusively outdoors at the range.

I first want to say that for what it is, the Garmin R10 is an EXCELLENT value. I am particular about setup and I bought a leveling stand for the R10. I also bought Awesome Golf as well. Like many, I learned to trust Awesome Golf more than the Garmin app- however, I feel that sometimes the AOA and other club data was wonky at times even with the Awesome golf app. I would say the swing speed and much of the ball data was usually somewhat in the ball park. The shot shape being inaccurate was the biggest issue for me with the R10- even with Awesome Golf. Now, when odd things happen in terms of strike, I can see them accurately represented in the FS golf app- I know that I can trust the data- so it's like a pro standing there saying "yeah, you hit that high and on the toe, so it's going to snipe like that- you're going to see the spin change badly etc... It's like someone has come along and unlocked the mystery of what happens with especially crappy shots. 98% of the time the spin data outdoors makes total sense. 

I feel that the both the Garmin app and Awesome golf are rather cartoonish and that is a turnoff as well. 

What turned me towards the Mevo plus was first and foremost the built in alignment tool and tilt and roll data to get consistent set up. That is a REALLY big deal. I was guessing with alignment rods etc... with the R10- I am no longer guessing about set up. YES, there is some fiddling that goes along with the Mevo plus, but it's worth getting accurate data.

Second thing that made the Mevo plus seem worth it was the professional look and feel of the software. One thing that may seem small, but the shot trace from the DTL perspective actually shows the entire shot shape relative to the target line. It's really a great and super helpful touch. I also like being able to normalize for range ball use. I find this feature to work wonderfully- it has been hugely helpful to me as far as the utility of the Mevo Plus as an actual practice and fitting tool. 

The way the FS golf app is laid out just makes so much sense, and it was clearly designed by people who understand how the data will be viewed and used. 

When in the heat of a practice session, the navigation of the app flows wonderfully and allows me to get down to brass tacks in actually using data during the session. To me, the software gets out of the way and allows me to immerse myself in the process of processing the feedback from the unit. 

I took a gamble with the unit but am happy to report that the club data and D-Plane information are spot freaking on. Just the pro package has been mind opening for me with my instructor in terms of seeing how all these parameters tie together. For example, seeing the correlation between low point and AOA, etc...

I tested the face impact today- and it's even better than advertised. I can't believe how close it was with NO set up or calibration. 

I realize the Mevo Plus is WAY more expensive, especially when you factor in the add ons, but I feel it is worth it if you are able to swing it financially. 

Things like updating the firmware and some of the settings in the Mevo apps seem relative straightforward. 

The ability to prioritize certain data panels on your display; the ability to set parameters for a practice session; the ability to have multi-camera angles that correlate with the per-shot data; the fusion technology that utilizes the onboard camera to assist in accuracy for club data. 

I am extremely pleased with the Flightscope customer support. They have been immediately accessible and very, very helpful. 

When you factor all this out- in my opinion, you get a LOT for your money. 

Now- the rub here is what makes something "worth it?" That is something that each person has to decide. I'll explain how I got there.

The novelty of knowing somewhat accurate swing speed and baffling shot shape and AOA numbers wore off with the Garmin for me. I became a Highschool golf coach this school year and I found myself communicating with the kids about things like face to path etc... but I knew that I really wanted to dive into club and face data to understand the ins and outs of how I was presenting the club to the ball. At times, the R10 felt like a novelty on the range. Like a practice aid, not a diagnostic tool that could teach me about the game in a new light. I do feel that the MP is a serious tool for people who really want to improve. 

The Mevo Plus has put me on the fast track to seeing and understanding so much about the relationship between elements of impact and the swing itself. Just today I decided to test how I presented the club to the ball by using a shallowing move in transition. I was able to not only see the divots, but look at face impact data along with spin and shot shape, to see how this played out in real life. The yardages are very much in line with my laser range finder, and I have been able to identify the true range of some of my clubs, like today with my 5 iron and my SW. It has expanded my understanding of how to plan for gapping in real world situations. 

I feel this is priceless. - I love the FS golf app and have not even gotten to the skills app yet.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you are on the fence like I was

Great write up. We have the Mevo+ with all the add ons and it’s almost overwhelming, but very eye opening as well. My husband is amazed at how different he has to swing to move his club path from -1 to +4. This is just one example of how excited we are to try different things and see how it shows up in the numbers. And haven’t even tried matching up with the video capability or e6

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hammersia said:

Very interesting report, good write up.

I wrote up some stats a year ago from range use of the R10 comparing the numbers to TopTracer (levelling stand etc.). Shot shape was only correct about 80% of the time, and the club data (calculated) yes was iffy, particularly AofA (I knew my club data numbers pretty well from a Quad session).

BUT

I then used the R10 into a net but with foil stickers for spin numbers. Obviously into a net I couldn't deduce a comparison to TopTracer but it seemed like a better set of numbers all round, which would make sense when the spin metric is better.

As you say, very different price points however.

I’ve never used a net, but I bet the addition of RCT or other spin assistance is surely helpful. I am devoted to seeing ball flight and taking divots, but I get the need for using a net too