Golf Bag for Scotland in June

CozBMB

Looking for some input as to what bag you'd recommend for a golf trip to Scotland next June.  I'm bringing my 16 year old son as well.  I've played Ireland in 2012 and Northern Ireland in 2019, both trips combined i play in rain only 2 of the 16 rounds, so i'm probably overthinking this but want this trip to be perfect.  I have two Mackenzies, one of which i took to ireland, a Titleist 4 stadry, and a few others that i don't even consider taking.  Here's my dilemma.  I want to have a waterproof bag just in case we get into some crazy weather, but I am used to carrying a sunday bag or other very light bag.  Here are the bags i'm looking at, let me know what you think in regards to weight but also storage of rain gear, extra towels, gloves, etc.  

Big Max Dri LIte Seven is on sale for $129 on Amazon, looks perfect for 9 rounds of walking.  Superlight and water repellant, not waterproof.  

Ping Hoofer Monsoon, 2023 for $330 in a new black/gray.

Ping Hoofer Monsoon, 2022 on sale for $229.

Ping Hoofer or Hoofer Lite normal versions, they are all on sale right now and could get a great deal.  

SInce I carry and my son pushes, i was initially thinking i'd bring the Dri Lite Seven or my Mackenzie and get him the 2022 Hoofer Monsoon.

Another thing to mention, i am bringing a short set of 8 clubs, so getting the Hoofer vs the Lite or the Dri Lite would still be a light carry with a half set even though the bag weighs 2 pounds more than the Dri lite or stadry.  I also already bought two of the Titleist Dri Hoods so i don't need the break out the rain covers that come with the bags.  Again, i'm obsessing over this and have plenty of time, but just curious to hear your thoughts.  

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, CozBMB said:

Looking for some input as to what bag you'd recommend for a golf trip to Scotland next June.  I'm bringing my 16 year old son as well.  I've played Ireland in 2012 and Northern Ireland in 2019, both trips combined i play in rain only 2 of the 16 rounds, so i'm probably overthinking this but want this trip to be perfect.  I have two Mackenzies, one of which i took to ireland, a Titleist 4 stadry, and a few others that i don't even consider taking.  Here's my dilemma.  I want to have a waterproof bag just in case we get into some crazy weather, but I am used to carrying a sunday bag or other very light bag.  Here are the bags i'm looking at, let me know what you think in regards to weight but also storage of rain gear, extra towels, gloves, etc.  

Big Max Dri LIte Seven is on sale for $129 on Amazon, looks perfect for 9 rounds of walking.  Superlight and water repellant, not waterproof.  

Ping Hoofer Monsoon, 2023 for $330 in a new black/gray.

Ping Hoofer Monsoon, 2022 on sale for $229.

Ping Hoofer or Hoofer Lite normal versions, they are all on sale right now and could get a great deal.  

SInce I carry and my son pushes, i was initially thinking i'd bring the Dri Lite Seven or my Mackenzie and get him the 2022 Hoofer Monsoon.

Another thing to mention, i am bringing a short set of 8 clubs, so getting the Hoofer vs the Lite or the Dri Lite would still be a light carry with a half set even though the bag weighs 2 pounds more than the Dri lite or stadry.  I also already bought two of the Titleist Dri Hoods so i don't need the break out the rain covers that come with the bags.  Again, i'm obsessing over this and have plenty of time, but just curious to hear your thoughts.  

I’m very interested in this as well. I start my trip on the 23rd at prestwick maybe even the evening of the 22 at turnberry!

when will you be there?

4 hours ago, CozBMB said:

so i'm probably overthinking this

Yes, been there done that.  Agonized over a waterproof bag on my last of 3 trips across the pond.  Didn’t buy one, got wet the first 2 trips , desert like conditions the last trip.

just pick one.  In the end it doesn’t matter.  You’ll remember everything else about your trip before “what bag you had”.  

3 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Yes, been there done that.  Agonized over a waterproof bag on my last of 3 trips across the pond.  Didn’t buy one, got wet the first 2 trips , desert like conditions the last trip.

just pick one.  In the end it doesn’t matter.  You’ll remember everything else about your trip before “what bag you had”.  

my biggest fear is everything getting soaked and not getting it dried out in time for the next days round

3 minutes ago, st1800e said:

I totally agree with you, I’m just so jacked for the trip the only thing I can do at this point is think about my gear and my sons gear!  I’m leaning towards the hoofer monsoon for him and the smaller dri lite or my Mack for myself.  Like you said, I won’t ever tell stories of what bag I had.  

1 minute ago, sheppick.dan said:

my biggest fear is everything getting soaked and not getting it dried out in time for the next days round

Regardless of the bag, when you get soaked you’ll be spending some time, and being creative, getting dried out, and learn to play with everything damp.  Turning a soaked headcover inside out is a new skill to be learned.  

7 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

Agreed, but my first trip to Ireland in 2012 we played in a borderline hurricane at Ballybunion.  The next day the front page of the newspaper said “rain of terror” and we still talk about how fun that was.  I’d say bring two pairs of shoes and leave the umbrella at home.  I don’t even remember how we dried everything out and I brought a standard titleist stand bag and survived.  Part of me thinks the normal bags would actually dry out fast because they are made with light material anyway.  

21 minutes ago, CozBMB said:

Agreed, but my first trip to Ireland in 2012 we played in a borderline hurricane at Ballybunion.  The next day the front page of the newspaper said “rain of terror” and we still talk about how fun that was.  I’d say bring two pairs of shoes and leave the umbrella at home.  I don’t even remember how we dried everything out and I brought a standard titleist stand bag and survived.  Part of me thinks the normal bags would actually dry out fast because they are made with light material anyway.  

good thing my family is doing there own thing that week. Nobody will say anything if I spend 3 hrs drying my equipment each night if it rains! Lol