2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Why can't I hit my hybrid?

Aren't these things supposed to swing themselves?
So I bought a hybrid when I bought my clubs to get back in the game. I read how awesome they are, how easy to hit they are, etc.

But the more I play with my Halo, the less I think I like it. I consistently fade it much more than my 3 or 4 irons, and don't get that much higher or that much more distance. I have a hard time making solid contact and getting it in the air, too. For some reason I just seem to be able to hit my long irons better. From everything I read and hear from people I know, this shouldn't be the case at all.

Could it be something I'm doing wrong? I'm placing the ball in the middle of my stance like I'm supposed to. I'm taking divots, and not really swinging any diiferently than I do my long irons. I'm considering trading the stupid thing in for a double box of those Slazenger Raw balls or the Hammer driver I see on my tee vee.

Help!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I bought a hybrid when I bought my clubs to get back in the game. I read how awesome they are, how easy to hit they are, etc.

But the more I play with my Halo, the less I think I like it. I consistently fade it much more than my 3 or 4 irons, and don't get that much higher or that much more distance. I have a hard time making solid contact and getting it in the air, too. For some reason I just seem to be able to hit my long irons better. From everything I read and hear from people I know, this shouldn't be the case at all.

Could it be something I'm doing wrong? I'm placing the ball in the middle of my stance like I'm supposed to. I'm taking divots, and not really swinging any diiferently than I do my long irons. I'm considering trading the stupid thing in for a double box of those Slazenger Raw balls or the Hammer driver I see on my tee vee.

Help!

I have played with many people who hated hybrids until I told them to hit down on the ball hard...just like an iron. Many of the problem of trying to 'sweep' if off the ground similar to a fairway wood, which will not work at all with a hybrid. It took me many rounds before I got comfortable really hitting down on the ball to hit a hybrid off the ground, and out of the rough. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose...BTW, do not put it any more forward in your stance...just treat it like your 3 or 4i replacement and hit down on the thing...the hybrid will actually take a nice little divot, and it is supposed to...good luck.

put it in the front of your stance

I agree. In the middle is too far back in your stance given the length of the club. Play it slightly more forward than you would a comparable iron. A 3 hybrid should be played about an inch or so more forward than a 3 iron.

Also, I agree, do not sweep it like a wood. Hit it like an iron.

I disagree with hit it harder. Per Jesse Ortiz telling me in person at the PGA show this year, the idea of a hybrid is not to try to kill it and hit it 110 or 100%. You will have better results if you would just hit it 70-80%. If you want to hit it farther, then just use a stronger lofted hybrid and hit that at 70-80%. I would guess that Jesse Ortiz knows what he is talking about.

Help!

I have played with many people who hated hybrids until I told them to hit down on the ball hard...just like an iron. Many of the problem of trying to 'sweep' if off the ground similar to a fairway wood, which will not work at all with a hybrid. It took me many rounds before I got comfortable really hitting down on the ball to hit a hybrid off the ground, and out of the rough. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose...BTW, do not put it any more forward in your stance...just treat it like your 3 or 4i replacement and hit down on the thing...the hybrid will actually take a nice little divot, and it is supposed to...good luck.

he said that he's already doing that. he literally said that he's playing it just like a long iron, even taking a divot. did you even read the original post?

Hybrids are tough sometimes. a fairway wood is pretty much a fairway wood, and a long iron is pretty much a long iron. Hybrids, on the other hand, can be designed anywhere in between the two. sometimes they are better struck towards the front of the stance, sometimes more towards the middle. and sometimes, just like drivers, irons, and every other club in your bag, a club that other people like isn't going to work for you. there are so many different types of hybrids, you just have to go try a bunch. and in the end, if hybrids aren't the best tool for the job in your game, ditch 'em. there are people out there who prefer long irons, and contrary to popular opinion, they're not insane.

I keep my 3 iron on call, for times when I'm hitting it better then my hybrid.

Help!

he said that he's already doing that. he literally said that he's playing it just like a long iron, even taking a divot. did you even read the original post?

Hybrids are tough sometimes. a fairway wood is pretty much a fairway wood, and a long iron is pretty much a long iron. Hybrids, on the other hand, can be designed anywhere in between the two. sometimes they are better struck towards the front of the stance, sometimes more towards the middle. and sometimes, just like drivers, irons, and every other club in your bag, a club that other people like isn't going to work for you. there are so many different types of hybrids, you just have to go try a bunch. and in the end, if hybrids aren't the best tool for the job in your game, ditch 'em. there are people out there who prefer long irons, and contrary to popular opinion, they're not insane.

I keep my 3 iron on call, for times when I'm hitting it better then my hybrid.

I did read the original post...and I still say to make sure that you ar hitting down hard on the ball. I do not mean to try and hit the ball hard though, I mean to hit down more aggressively. I guess i do not put the ball forward in my stance because I choke down just a little for more control. I agree with the earlier post that 70-80% is plenty of effort. That's just what works for me, I have a few playing partners who will not put a hybrid in their bag and are happy with the 3i. I guess they are just a little older and not looking for the added forgivness and utility that hybrid can bring...some people will never remove their 3i.

Couldn't agree more which is why I am probably going to get a new 3 FW for par 5's or just stick with my Mizuno FliHi 18* which I seldom have any problems hitting. I haven't found a hybrid yet that I really liked after hitting many times. I had heard on a previous post about this same issue that there are two kinds of hybrids, ones designed to be hit like a wood (which have onset-the club face bottom lip is in front of the shaft) and those designed to be hit like an iron (have offset -the the club face bottom lip is even with or behind the shaft). I have wanted to experiment with this idea more and now that it's finally getting warmer I can.

If you fight a slice the Halo may not be for you.

They have little to no offset witch is the main reason I bought them, since I fight a hook.

Also you may want to make sure you have the right shaft in the club for you.

I believe if the shaft is too stiff you will leave the ball out to the right.

Not sure if you have graphite or steel.

I prefer DG steel shafts in the Hybrids that replace the 3 and 4 irons for a couple of reasons.

1. You can make the club shorter and keep the swingweight up. A shorter club is easier to hit and a more accurate club witch is what you want.

2. It also helps with the distance between clubs.

I have found with graphite shafted hybrids the distance between the hybrid an the club you are replacing can be extreme.

You may hit the hybrid 10 to 20 yards further than the iron it is replacing.

All that does is create a huge gap between you hybrids and the rest of you irons.

Very well said. Hybrids vary in design more than any other type of club. It's more difficult to find the right one and they're not for everyone.

If you fight a slice the Halo may not be for you.

They have little to no offset witch is the main reason I bought them, since I fight a hook.

Exactly. Try a hybrid with more offset before you totally ditch them.. but some people just dont work well with hybrids, its not just you.

This is exactly what I was going to ask. I have tried every hybrid that I could get my hands on and I have yet to find one that I am comfortable with. Can it be that some swings just don't lend themselves to hitting a hybrid? I have no trouble hitting my 3 and 4 irons, but a little more consistency would be welcome.

I had the same (fading) problem with my Titleist PT585 hybrid shortly after I got it -- for me, at least, the problem was all in my setup: I found it visually difficult to grip the club square to the target, and was consistently setting up with the face open, by around 5-8 degrees.

Something about the way the club looks from the top, and the way it rests on the ground made it seem like I was addressing the ball properly (and I've noticed that friends who 'demo' the club have the same problem), but since I 'closed' the face a bit, my results are consistently straighter.

I have a just one hybrid, it works fine as long as I hit like a fairway wood, not an iron. Whenever I try to swing it like an iron, it's trouble.

I also agree that finding the right hybrid is probably pretty difficult. If you hit your long irons well, you have the luxury of not needing one, but being able to shop for one until you find the right one.

IME hybrids vary a lot from diferent makes and models.

I first tried a Ping G10 and just could not hit it in any way, either swinging like an iron or a wood. Then I tried a Adams and hit it occasionally very well, but at times with terrible blocks to the right and I was unable to work the ball at all.

Then I bought a Cobra DWS 20deg and I loved it since the first shot; now it is my favourite club. Extremely easy and forgiving, I can work it perfectly right or left and exceptionally good off the rough. I am planning of getting a 23deg as well and replace not only 3i and 4i, but also 5w

(1) Check the lies---many are too upright causing heel snagged hooks.

(2) Play them in your stance and swing as if they were irons. a decending blow is what's needed. playing them too far forward also tends to send 'em left + thin/topped.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

A couple of things to try on the range - they work for me with my hybrids:

1. Just ease up a bit on how aggressive you are on the downswing, compared to how you swing your irons. Just a little slower down towards impact.

2. Drop your lead shoulder ever so slightly coming down into impact, as if you are on a very slight downhill lie.

For me, if I do this things correctly, I get the best sound at impact and the ball flight is just right.

Log some major range time.......and focus on making a divot just slightly in front of the ball while you hit down. Meaning, you still need to hit the ball first, then the ground. I hook my rescue dual from time to time when I screw up my downswing.

Other than driver, it's my favorite club in the bag............for now.

(1) Check the lies---many are too upright causing heel snagged hooks.

(2) Play them in your stance and swing as if they were irons. a decending blow is what's needed. playing them too far forward also tends to send 'em left + thin/topped.

Texsport

You said it...bend those sticks to produce the shot/flight you desire...I use a great Hybrid mafe by RT Technologies...the shaft is called MIDAS and I use the X version X100...best shaft by far...very little if any droop...you can just pick out a dimple on the ball you want to place low on the face and you get a powerful, high, straight shot.

1. Just ease up a bit on how aggressive you are on the downswing, compared to how you swing your irons. Just a little slower down towards impact.

2. Drop your lead shoulder ever so slightly coming down into impact, as if you are on a very slight downhill lie.

For me, if I do this things correctly, I get the best sound at impact and the ball flight is just right.

Where do you live in Atlanta?

Gwinnett.

Gwinnett.

Home of the Gladiators!

i have the halos and i play them occasionally. i had problems hitting it properly too until i watched watson on the golf channel and he said to put the club in the middle of your stance and hit down like an iron.

the other thing i did to help me hit it better and take advantage of the club design was to shorten the length of the shaft to the iron equivalent and also lower the swingweight a little. this made contact significantly better.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='thefuryone' timestamp='1204948476' post='956268']

Help!
[/quote]

It's always something we golfers are doing. First, don't put it any further forward in your stance than you would hit a 4 iron, and I mean a well hit 4 iron. If you don't have a 4 iron, then hit it first from where you hit a 5 iron well. This is usually 1 ball forward of center. Next don't hit the ball like a driver, meaning you don't have to knock the *&&& out of it, just take a slow smooth back swing, about a 3/4 back swing and then swing to strike the ball correctly and most of all have a total complete follow through. Belt buckle pointing at the target and rear foot sole 180 away from the target. Once you do these few small things you will hit it well. As you get more comfy with the club you find the sweet spot for ball placement for you and you'll get your distance. Aim to the right side of the fairway, not the rough, the fairway (if you're right handed) and line up correctly to hit the ball to that side of the fairway. These usually have a slight pull for many players and they give you great bounce and roll. Just remember they are not drivers or fairway woods, take more of a U shaped swing and a small divot. Irons are more of a V shaped swing with a large divot and drivers are more of a O swing with no divot.
Don't give up, once you hit one correctly your eyes will bug out! They are great clubs for everyone, even the pros carry one or two.
My best.
Doc