2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Is OTT really a problem...

Cloran

Look, I'm not talking about your average, run-of-the-mill, 30 HC, over-the-top move. I'm talking more like Moe Norman. I tend to take the club back on the inside and have a littlie OTT coming back to the ball. However, If you look at my swing (sorry no clips to post) only from the top to impact, you wouldn't know I had any OTT tendencies. I have good lag, a solid impact position, hands in front of ball, weight transition, compression, etc.

I tend to play a fade. Is there really any reason to try and correct this? Or, should I continue to work on tempo and rythm? When my tempo is good, my ball striking is good. When I get too quick it all goes to s***.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on if you want your stock shot to stay a fade. personally, I also have a bit of an ott move. I'd love to be able to drop it down and come from the inside, like a sergio type of release, but whenever I try it feels forced, even when I get that pretty draw going. its just not repeatable for me when it counts. the fade lets me aim left then bring it right back into the middle of the fairway. can't complain about that.

edit; getting quick is my downfall as well. my weight stays back and I get stuck, long irons get flipped and hook, woods shoot straight up and go waaay right.

i think people feel like playing a fade is not "cool", and if you can't work the ball right to left that you're not a "good" player...

that's hogwash...

play with the shot that is the most consistent... sure you're not going to able to play the fade on every single shot, but at least you'll feel like you know where the ball is going to go 90% of the time...

well, I do feel like one of the marks of a great player is being able to work it both ways. I've just learned that I don't have a draw. its just not there. even when I close the face down, I hit a straight shot, just with a lower trajectory, because I subconciously leave the face square at impact.

luckily, I haven't really been faced with a hole where a draw is absolutely the only play. if I ever get to one, then it'll be my trusty 4 iron layup off the tee.

personally, I love a fade... Favorite shot in the bag. I can still hit a relatively straight ball, sometimes, even a small draw... but the shot I fear most is a screaming hook... Scariest thing in the world.

Same here. I love golf courses where I can line up a little open and just cut it out there all day long. My home course is not that way. You MUST play a draw on a lot of holes, but too much of a draw and your in big trouble. Drives me crazy. Because my forced soft draw turns into snap hooks really quick

I'd be happy just to be able to do anything consistently

if I had a driver set up for a draw than I wouldn't be consistent either. I've tried draw-weighted and offset drivers, and I have no clue where the ball is going. I have a friend who just switched from an offset cobra LDM to a standard LDF, and he's really happy, because the switch exposed that with his old driver he was coming from the inside with an open face (and hitting a push draw, thanks to the offset face). the more neutral driver has forced him to release the club better.

I'm not saying you should switch. . .just sharing my personal experience. :rolleyes:

I'd be happy just to be able to do anything consistently

if I had a driver set up for a draw than I wouldn't be consistent either. I've tried draw-weighted and offset drivers, and I have no clue where the ball is going. I have a friend who just switched from an offset cobra LDM to a standard LDF, and he's really happy, because the switch exposed that with his old driver he was coming from the inside with an open face (and hitting a push draw, thanks to the offset face). the more neutral driver has forced him to release the club better.

I'm not saying you should switch. . .just sharing my personal experience. :rolleyes:

So you mean I need to buy a new driver?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

thankfully enough, though some of us will disagree wholeheartedly, a new driver isn't always the answer... for me, figuring out the weight configuration On my Superquad was the biggest thing for me, and now that I have it set up for a fade (believe me, set up any other way, it's going to have a draw flight). I can play that fade at will, and honestly, I can eke some roll out of that thing just like most of you can a draw... It's a beautiful thing, consistency... Now, if I can get that in my wedges....

haha. . .not really. different clubs work differently for different people. but one thing I noticed when I tried draw clubs is my miss was inconsistent, I still hit my stock fade, but also slices, draws, and hooks. normally my only miss is a bigger fade, when my hips get fast. Golf is a game of misses. . .the better they are, the better I score.

But if you need me to be the empetus for hitting up the local golfsmith, I'd be more than happy to play the part. :rolleyes:

Dont laugh.Since i overhauled my swing 15 yrs ago,I cant hit a draw for the life of me.I'm sort of ok with it untill i'm in that spot i have to hit one.I use to always hit a draw,but wasnt able to control it very well.Meaning i didnt know if it was a 3yd ,5 yd or 10 yd draw.

Now, you might laugh.Driver,3wood an 19 hybrid plays a fade.4,5,6 and 9 iron play fade.17 hybrid ,7 and 8 iron have a small draw.Pw draws.Gw and lw fade.. Dont ask me how or why.