2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Passive vs. Active Release

Whatttt??
I'm assuming there are probably alot of topics on this already, but just wondering, what is the difference between an active and passive release? I know a fair amount about the swing and mechanics, but have never heard this one. Sorry. Can someone please explain the two and which would be better for a flat swing? And also do top touring pros use more acitve or passive releases? Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACTIVE - PASSIVE Releases

The player assembles their Power Package which is: 1)Accumlation 2)Load 3)Storage 4)Delivery and 5)Release.

We are talking about the Release of the Power Package and there are 2 types Non-automatic and Automatic.

Active could = Non-automatic release type

Passive could = Automatic release type

Nonautomatic or a manual release is a type of release where the player actively releases their Power Package. With active muscle control.

Automatic or centrifigual force is a type of release where the player passively releases their Power Package.

However, even if there is a passive release type it can not be completely passive or there will be quitting on the shot.

I would assume that Hogan is the passive release. The arms and hips turn at the same rate the HIT happens when they pass thru/past the ball. Very reliabile and repeatable

I would also assume that Sergio is an active release. LAG the hands behind the arm pull until they actively flex thru the ball at the last moment. greater compression and distance with loss of control.

but the terms exist none-the-less.... a passive release is typically when the body squares the clubhead whereas an active release the arms and hands square it

I know what you mean, but the body itself cannot square the clubhead when talking about full swing due to necessary forearm rotation to complete the swing during backswing and viceversa during downswing. There is no such a thing as "passive" release, therefore. What really matters is when/where in the swing motion the clubhead is being delivered square to the swing arc and if the body turn is constant - the sooner it happens the less active is the role of the arms and forearms in the further stage (read=impact zone). The later it happens the bigger number of various motions must happen directly in the impact zone and, thus, the timing factor increases considerably.

Cheers

All Motions use CP/CF forces. Centripital force tends to make rotating bodies move toward the center of rotation.Centrifugal force tends to make rotating bodies move a way from center of rotation. Which, yes would release towards the target line to a point. Once the player reaches the bottom of his arc the club no longer travels down the target line but back, up and in on the arc. However, the clubhead is on the target line for a moment from impact to the bottom of the arc.

im sorry, but those nine were WAYY TOOO CONFUSING!. if someone could possibly simplify the terms that maybe jeff evans wrote??? the golf swing intends for a player to release their power stored in their lag. that is only possible when they re-rotate their arms to square it up again. if they just hold their wirst angle, the player would need to turn there body almost into the finish if they dont want to hit it off the heel. the active release sounds more natural... i have nutin against you jeff, but unless i see it, and am face to face talking to you, learning it over a internet, is a bit hard. also which players on tour use passive and active?? i realize i said i have a fairly good understanding of the swing, but not that good. sorry jeff.

im sorry, but those nine were WAYY TOOO CONFUSING!. if someone could possibly simplify the terms that maybe jeff evans wrote??? the golf swing intends for a player to release their power stored in their lag. that is only possible when they re-rotate their arms to square it up again. if they just hold their wirst angle, the player would need to turn there body almost into the finish if they dont want to hit it off the heel. the active release sounds more natural... i have nutin against you jeff, but unless i see it, and am face to face talking to you, learning it over a internet, is a bit hard. also which players on tour use passive and active?? i realize i said i have a fairly good understanding of the swing, but not that good. sorry jeff.

Think of it this way...

Examples of Passive Releases:

Immelman, Mahan, and Woods (w/ Short irons)

Examples of Active Releases:

Els, Singh, and Woods (w/ Driver)

Cheers,

Tim

The simplest way I can think to explain it is if you feel like you are using your arms and hands "actively" to release the club through the strike then it is an active release. That includes images such as squaring up the face, the toe of the club turning past the heel through impact using your arms and hands, or arms aggressively rotating over one another. Simply holding on to the club while the arms are doing nothing more than "passively" coming along for the ride is a passive release.

Ernie Els, Trevor Immelman, and Tiger Woods have active releases. Woods is more passive with his hands only when trying to flight his ball from left to right. When he draws the ball he completely and "actively" releases his arms and hands through the ball to curve it right to left.

Does this make sense?

one thing... it seems that passive, is what it sounds like, soft. but then i read that ernie has an active release, but he has one of the softest and smoothest swing on tour, if he doesn;t hold that title already

Els has a very "smooth" swing and slow tempo. Most of the guys we are labeling as "active" releases also have very smooth tempos (couples is another example)...in fact it is almost a prerequisite in order to keep the release timed well.

There is a good 2-page article in last month's Golf or Golf Digest (can't remember which one) that describes the main release types. But it does so from the perspective of a few feet (or degrees) after impact. If you've seen this article, it might help to visualize what the different releases are like. I'll try to find it later and amend this comment with the page number and magazine.

Cheers,

Tim

The simplest way I can think to explain it is if you feel like you are using your arms and hands "actively" to release the club through the strike then it is an active release. That includes images such as squaring up the face, the toe of the club turning past the heel through impact using your arms and hands, or arms aggressively rotating over one another. Simply holding on to the club while the arms are doing nothing more than "passively" coming along for the ride is a passive release.

Ernie Els, Trevor Immelman, and Tiger Woods have active releases. Woods is more passive with his hands only when trying to flight his ball from left to right. When he draws the ball he completely and "actively" releases his arms and hands through the ball to curve it right to left.

Does this make sense?

I agree with your post, but I'm not sure about this:

Immelman -- Did you really mean to include him as an active release example?

Tim

I think your observation is correct, Shaqshow Immelman swings very hard to the left. He has wonderful rotation through the ball. However, coupled with his excellent rotation is a wonderful active release of his arms and hands. It is a blend of body rotation and arm swing. Very powerful and active. Take notice of the arm rotation especially. That started just before impact.

I vaguely remember remember reading that article. Nevertheless, from what I remember, that article may clear up some questions you might have. There were three different examples right? One release was basically holding on, another was realeasing the snot out of the club with the hands and arms, and the final one was a blend of the two?

Hard for me to call that release in that static picture Mr. Evans. Everything appears to be in good neutral form from the face on view. Good extension, arms in front of body, toe up, etc... But I can't tell what happened from the delivery position up to the point where he is now. I might go with a blend of the two... I don't know. I just can't tell.

Will the divot of a snap releaser be significantly deeper than the other release points?

Do I have an arguement if I say that I can achieve the same impact position as your picture except I would have a shallower angle of attack? Unforunately I am without a picture of myself at impact. But it is similar to these, without their dynamics of course.

Tiger Woods

Adam Scott

Adrian Wadey

All three of these examples came from shallow angles of approach. So, what are the differences in the ball flight between the snap realeaser and a shallower AOA if they all reach the impact stage with the same dynamics? Truer ball flight? Holds it's line better? Trajectory control?

I am at the point where I can go either way and I want to make a good decision before a move on with how I approach my ball. I tend to see better results with a shallower AOA. Need some opinions.