2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Vokey 200 series or spinmilled

which would you pick and why
I have just switched to almost all Titliest equipment except for my wedges and driver. I am looking at getting some wedges from Nomad golf wrx that have had the tour van treatment done. I dont know much about the difference in these 2 wedges,,, only what I have read on the vokey site. Could someone please tell me which wedge they would pick and why? thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the 200 series is the choice for any wedge that you'll be using much for full shots...the SM just spin too much. For chips and pitches, it comes down the personal preference (see sig for mine).

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

I've played both varieties in a raw or Oil Can finish and the difference for me was marginal at best. I only found a difference in spin when playing from fluffy lies (particularly wet fluffy lies) and on partial shots where the SM wedges had a distinct advantage. Chipping-wise and on full shots, the difference between a fresh 200 series and a SM is negligible IMO. The advantage of Spin Milled wedges, for me, is that they last longer than a regular Vokey since the grooves are bigger and more resilient to wear, particularly on a sand club. Even after the face milling has worn out, the grooves remain deep and wide and can be easily spruced up with a tool. I'm a high spin player naturally, and I don't have a problem with overspinning a SM any more than I do with a regular 200 series.

Promise me that you won't pay silly money for a Nomad 'ported' wedge that's basically a retail Vokey that's been bruised by a drillbit and had some modelling paint applied to the 'porting..' :clapping:

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

SM 54* and 60* works just fine for me. I'm just practicing how to take advantage of the spin these wedges generate. I use them for short pitch chips (one to two hops then check). For full shots, depends on ball placement to control the spin.

I stay away from using them for bump and runs (use PW or lower instead).

Hope this helps.

By the way, maintaining the oil can finish is a pain but somehow worth it.

I've played both varieties in a raw or Oil Can finish and the difference for me was marginal at best. I only found a difference in spin when playing from fluffy lies (particularly wet fluffy lies) and on partial shots where the SM wedges had a distinct advantage. Chipping-wise and on full shots, the difference between a fresh 200 series and a SM is negligible IMO. The advantage of Spin Milled wedges, for me, is that they last longer than a regular Vokey since the grooves are bigger and more resilient to wear, particularly on a sand club. Even after the face milling has worn out, the grooves remain deep and wide and can be easily spruced up with a tool. I'm a high spin player naturally, and I don't have a problem with overspinning a SM any more than I do with a regular 200 series.

Promise me that you won't pay silly money for a Nomad 'ported' wedge that's basically a retail Vokey that's been bruised by a drillbit and had some modelling paint applied to the 'porting..' :clapping:

I was actually looking at the Nomad wrx procedure. It sounds like you are not at all impressed by this. Can you please tell me why it is that you feel like this? The website makes it sound great but I am sure it is hyped up to sale his product. thanks in advance

Some of the finish options offered by Nomad are quite nicely done, but most of the Vokey wedges that I've seen come from them are essentially mutton dressed as lamb in the form of retail wedges that have been tweaked and then passed off as something a bit special.

The 'ported' wedges are the best example of it. Porting a wedge is a method of removing weight from the main body of the club by, essentially drilling holes in it to remove mass. Some people will argue that there is a change in weight distribution that results in a modest change of ballflight, but the majority will tell you that there is really no discernable change in the club other than it's lighter owing to the removal of mass from the head.

The Nomad 'ported' wedges are simply Vokeys that have literally been 'bruised' with a drillbit and then, usually, brightened up with the addition of modelling paint in garish colours in the small indentations on the club. The amount of metal removed is miniscule and will not result in an discernable difference in either headweight or ballflight - yet they are advertised as being God's gift to wedge play and touted as offering more spin; a flatter flight; you name it.

What they actually are is usually a stock retail Vokey or 588, perhaps with a different finish like gun blue or fogged treatment, with some little indentations drilled in them that are filled in with garish-coloured paint. If that floats your boat, great; but I don't like the misrepresentation of the product or the process that passes them off as something rather special and/or 'tour.'.

Check out the 'tour wedge' below: It's a retail Vokey isn't it - with some yellow and red paint and an aftermarket finish. And if that 'porting' changes the centre of gravity and gives more spin then my name's Shirley. And it isn't.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use to play Titleist wedges I had a Vokey and a one of the wedges that were inspired by the tour players. I have the Brad Faxon model, not sure if you have seen these, probably about 12 years ago is when they came out, but the wedge came ported stock. Personally I thought there was no significant change to the spin or a flatter ball because of the ports. Don't get me wrong it was great wedge but I wouldn't spend any extra cash to get a wedge ported. I would take the extra money and buy a higher quality wedge such as Scratch, Zodia, Epon, or Yururi, once you play them you will never go back. The feel and performance from these types of wedges are worth the extra green.

913 D3 (8.5) and F (15)w/whiteboard
Adams 18 9031 Hybrid w/whiteboard
3-PW MP 64's
Vokey 54 & 60
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14