2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Hawaii Golf Course Conditions & Reports

pitbull808

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bobmarley' date='03 April 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1270364168' post='2359487']
That sucks about Mililani, I thought after the new ownership took over it would get better. I liked playing there from some reason despite the conditions and it raining 90% of the time.
[/quote]

Well supposedly that's what the staff was talking about...how the new ownership is getting everything in place like new equipment for the greens people and the "test" green. Hopefully sooner more the later they'll get their act together and get that course back to how it was in the 80's. The last fifteen years it's just deteriorated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

April 23, 2010

Ewa Beach GC
time: ~1:45pm, $26 twilight (they let us out early... good thing cause we barely finished)

weather: nice day, a little windy but not too bad

course conditions: course is in overall excellent shape, this is the 3rd time I've played here since the ownership change a little while back. Could see that the greens were aeorated maybe 3 weeks ago and were just about back to normal. Greens were in great shape and pretty quick. I'd say only potential issue with the course may be pace of play, just depends on luck of the draw re: having clubs or large groups before you.

Back in town again and was able to play a round of golf. Apologize for the brief review but I'm typing this on my phone. Well here it is:
Royal Kunia
May 12, 7:00am
80 degrees, clear skies
This was the first time playing the course and I was impressed. Greens were running on the fast side and somewhat consistent green to green. Tees, fairways, and rough were in good and consistent shape. The red bunkers could use alittle more sand but as a whole, the course is in great condition. Would definitely play the course again and recommend the course in its current condition. There was a noon tournament going out on that same day, so I'm not sure if that had to do anything with the conditions. 3 1/2 hour round.

Titleist TR3 9* Driver w/ Tour AD DI 6
Titleist TR2 15* Fairway w/ Tour AD DI 7 
Titleist TR3 19* Hybrid w/ Tour AD DI Hybrid 85
Titleist T200 4 Utility w/ Tour AD DI Hybrid 85
Tileist T200 Irons (5-PW) w/ SteelFiber i110CW

Vokey SM10 Nickel finish (48.10F, 54.12D, 58.12D) w/ DG S200
Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5

[quote name='hapa' date='14 May 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1273904281' post='2442779']
Back in town again and was able to play a round of golf. Apologize for the brief review but I'm typing this on my phone. Well here it is:
Royal Kunia
May 12, 7:00am
80 degrees, clear skies
This was the first time playing the course and I was impressed. Greens were running on the fast side and somewhat consistent green to green. Tees, fairways, and rough were in good and consistent shape. The red bunkers could use alittle more sand but as a whole, the course is in great condition. Would definitely play the course again and recommend the course in its current condition. There was a noon tournament going out on that same day, so I'm not sure if that had to do anything with the conditions. 3 1/2 hour round.
[/quote]

You weren't kidding on the speed of the greens. Played RK this morning...first time out....greens were probably rolling the best all year. Spoke to some of the course guys after the round..they mentioned the tournament yesterday was for golf course superintendents which explains how fast and smooth they were. I heard it may have been verti-cut and double rolled. After the first two holes blowing my putts three feet past..I still didn't get used to it. :cheesy: Playing RK every week..I'm too used to the slow stuff.

3 hour round...3 guys playing. Sorry you couldn't make it this morning Rick...you might have finally stopped being short on your putts today! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Played Hawaii Prince yesterday, B+C. Still in good condition, greens are decent still but could start using some work.

Btw, if anyone reading this was part of that group that hit into us at 18 (around 5pm), a "FORE" or any type of yelling would be nice as the ball literally missed my friend by 2 ft. It was pretty backed up and you guys knew that.
It was a nice drive btw, it's too bad it took a terrible bounce after it landed. :welcomeani:

• 2 months later...

August 1 (Sunday), played Ko Olina, 8:40 tee time-finished at 2:15, a marathon even with the rangers trying to move things along. Greens still showing signs of maintenance (verti-cut) with some grooves that took some putts in crazy directions. Fairways were as they are usually, very nice.

Played Ala Wai last Saturday, August 7, 7:40 tee time and finished by 11:00 playing a fivesome. Greens were pretty decent as usual and the only one fairway not too good (#14). Dry conditions but impressed with the greens and fairways.

Last time I played Pali in May, we had the same kind of experience with very decent greens and thin but playable fairways.

Both Ala Wai and Pali were in great condition. I hope West Loch, Makalena, and Ewa Villages can get the same greenskeeper to improve their conditioning. Ewa Villages especially, has a very interesting layout

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Guys... is it just me, or are many of the courses on Oahu, (with the exception of Kapolei/Ko'Olina) letting themselves go down the tubes? I play a different course every week and it seems, so many courses are asking for ridiculous rates ~$50 or more to play on dried out or aerated fairways, dried out or patchy greens, and rough that is not grass rough, but, an overgrown potpourri of weeds.

One or two courses more courses need to get maintenance crews that take pride in their work and get these courses back into shape.

[quote name='propredicr' timestamp='1283324046' post='2672990']
Hey, Guys... is it just me, or are many of the courses on Oahu, (with the exception of Kapolei/Ko'Olina) letting themselves go down the tubes? I play a different course every week and it seems, so many courses are asking for ridiculous rates ~$50 or more to play on dried out or aerated fairways, dried out or patchy greens, and rough that is not grass rough, but, an overgrown potpourri of weeds.

One or two courses more courses need to get maintenance crews that take pride in their work and get these courses back into shape.
[/quote]

I haven't seen anything really surprisingly bad but I think some of the dryness is probably due to the drought we've been in and the amount of water the courses are able to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Played the Pali for the first time Monday. It was in much better shape than I expected for any muni and especially after reading some reviews bashing the place. The greens were being top dressed though. I hate that. Not as crowded as I thought though either. We ran into some traffic on the back 9 and absorbed the single player in front of us into our twosome. Nice guy named John. We finished in a normal amount of time. <4 hours for sure. But then again thats why I like my weekdays off too. With the golf ID card and an early tee time $26 is a good deal with a cart. If it was after 1:30 I'd spend my $ at Olomana though. Maybe I'll get the damned card already and walk it next week. Grumpy starter too.

Played Royal Kunia yesterday for the third or fourth time. Ahhhh. What a nice course. This place never lets me down. The clubhouse is a trailer but the course is top notch. We got off really late 3:30 and my friend was worrying we wouldnt get the round in but we did. The first green was ISHT but that's it. Why I wonder is the first green always so banged up? Either way it was a great late round yesterday. Noone else on the course really. Great starters, cart team and marshalls. As far as the courses I play this is the only one I've played in recent memory that actually had water in the lakes and streams. Coral creek, prince and Olomana were dry as a bone last time I played. It makes the place look nice when the water features have water. I did put 2 balls in the water yesterday but thats ok. It was worth it. I know it's not good for the environment and we're in a drought or whatever but I remember one course using reclaimed water. They should all do that.

I'd like to replay that course again very soon. nice level flat tee boxes, well cut fairways and greeat greens. Thanks. and well done RK!

P.S. As for the guy paying $50 to play.. I dont think I've paid more than $40 yet on this island in a year and a half and about 40 rounds.

Hualalai is in good shape. They are doing something from the green to about 40 yards out. A little dry in these areas , but otherwise perfect. Greens were an absolute joy to putt on. However, from what the workers said, they will be redoing a lot of the course in a little while. So play it now before the do.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Kapolei on 10/06. Course was in great shape. My only issue was the cart signs 100 yards out from the greens. I really dislike having to walk to my ball after hitting my drive. And the greens had way way too many ball marks. Does no one who plays the course repair their ball marks? Wow! I remember a couple fairways from a few years ago which had very little grass on them. For instance the par 5 on the back side with the canal about 250 yards out from the tee. You could hit a mid iron into the canal due to the hard fairway and trade winds. Now it's all great. I guess the Senior Ladies tournament made them get their stuff together.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mauiatheart' timestamp='1288158166' post='2761405']
Played Wailua (Kauai) today. Course is in good condition. The greens were little slow and bumpy, but it is a muni.
[/quote]

Easily one of my most favorite courses in the State of Hawaii. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Turkey Day, I got to play a round before the eating. With a gift card to pay for the round, I went to play Mililani.

Mililani GC - 9:15-ish start
Walked on as a single and it was no problem to get out, as it was packed for the earlier tee times. But was behind a SLOW group of Japanese women tourists who fell a full hole and a half behind the group in front. On 9, the marshall finally stopped them and had me play through. Aside from that pace of play was ok.

Conditions were decent, the fairways are still hard and a little patchy, but typical Mililani. Sand was softer than it looked. The greens were very inconsistent, slow overall but some were in great shape and others not so much. If they are headed in the direction of the fixed greens then in a few months Mililani should be fun to play again (assuming they get the speed faster).

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

• 1 month later...

Play Royal Kunia and can't complain at all. Nice course IMO.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='BENNYSUPREME' timestamp='1294531456' post='2883376']
Play Royal Kunia and can't complain at all. Nice course IMO.
[/quote]

Were you there today? Mach 1 and I teed off first this morning. We noticed ton's of ballmarks on the green. I think I fixed mine along with another 5-6 on every hole. The rough was deeper then usual. I guess the rain had soaked some areas a bit too much where they couldn't run the lawn mowers. Also noticed the weeds that spotted the rough were about 6 inches in growth in some areas. Thankfully I was hitting fairways today so it wasn't a problem. Greens were running pretty smooth compared to last week. Again, probably because it's not been raining so much and they can lower the blades. All in all though the place was pretty good for this time of year.

I was there two days ago. I also fixed a couple marks each hole, as did my playing partner.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Coral Creek was in excellent condition, today. No mud or soggy areas. Rough around the greens was a bit thick (to the point earlier about not firm enough to mow, yet). The greens were in really good condition, albeit a bit hard.

The negatives: (weekend play) there were six groups sitting on a par 5! If the two foursomes in front of us didn't dig out, early, it would easily have been a 5.5-6 hour round. Oh, and it was $60. :russian_roulette:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='propredicr' timestamp='1294551827' post='2883966']
Coral Creek was in excellent condition, today. No mud or soggy areas. Rough around the greens was a bit thick (to the point earlier about not firm enough to mow, yet). The greens were in really good condition, albeit a bit hard.

The negatives: (weekend play) there were six groups sitting on a par 5! If the two foursomes in front of us didn't dig out, early, it would easily have been a 5.5-6 hour round. Oh, and it was $60. :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

Played Coral Creek this past Saturday (1/15) and the ninth hole was closed and there was a temp green on 14 and an improvised par 3 for hole 14B. Overall, the course was in ok shape considering how much rain they had two days before. It was amazing to see the mud lines so high up on some of the trees that line the drainage ditch that runs through the course. The starter mentioned that the whole 9th hole was underwater and only the green was above. There was debris here and there that showed where the water went and how high.

The rough was thick. I hadn't played there in over a year, but I recall some people mentioning that they don't particularly like the course because of the rough. The greens were running pretty good. Being that it was soft, there were a lot of ball marks.

The play was slow. Teed off at 8:30 and didn't get done until almost 2:00! While we didn't really have to wait much on the par 5's, there were usually 3-4 groups waiting on each par 3.

Overall it was a fun round.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1301871413' post='3115308']
FYI...April 4, 2011/Monday Royal Kunia will be aerating. I had hoped they'd be using the small punch but was told they were doing the big holes. Prices for weekdays will be lowered to $35 and weekend $45.
[/quote]

Darn, was thinking of playing there next Saturday.

Koolina recently aerated. I was there this past Friday for some time on a grass range and short game practice and it was DEAD out there. The starter said they had just aerated. It's usually pretty busy on Fridays there. I was on the range for over an hour and saw a single and a couple foursomes go out. I was tempted to play since I was so empty, but figured I'd hate the aerated greens.

Well Mamala Bay is coming around after being punched about a month ago. I looks as if they punched the fairways with in the last week. They are getting ready for the club championship in a couple months.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer