2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Had the honor and priviledge of meeting Jeff Evans today. Jeff if you haven't been able to tell already, is an absolute class act. Even though he is a very busy guy, he will always make time for you to answer any question you have big or small. He genuinely cares about his students and is extremely patient. He is so passionate about golf. Even though I have worked with some of the best coaches in the world (Haney and Leadbetter top assistants, and one of the Harmons) I consider Jeff to be one of the most knowledgeable instructors in the game. He simply could answer questions these top authorities never had an answer for. It was over an hour drive out to middle of no where Florida to watch Garrett Willis play the final day of q-school, and easily qualify, I am so glad I did, not only because I got to watch a dramatic round of golf, but more so because I got to pick the brain of one of the best golf coaches in the world.

We watched Garret, but I learned more from asking Jeff questions. The Golfing Machine is actually so much simpler when you know the basic fundamentals of aim point, lag pressure, and a few others. Aim point is simple: from the top of your swing, draw an imaginary line to a spot in front of your left footish and swing your hands down to that spot, not the ball (simple).

The golf swing can be very complicated if you make it that way. It can also be overwhelmingly simple if you just use a pure ball striker. I learned that you need to put the pbs more towards the bottom of your index finger, not the top, and not to strangle the pbs. Just start with the pbs in the correct position, and don't strangle it, let it go for a ride and you will know if you are maintaing lag pressure if the pbs doesn't fly out in front of you. I guarantee you will hit it better.

Anyways,

1.) the pbs makes the golf swing insanely simple, and you need to buy one right away if you haven't, it'll make golf so much more fun

2.) Jeff Evans is an absolute genius

3.) Jeff Evans is very patient

4.) Tell everyone you know about Jeff Evans

5.) Jeff Evans didn't pay me to write any of this, this guy is as good as I'm saying he is

6.) Jeff Evans made me excited about golf again

Still struggling with this aid which is really annoying as there's so much love out there for it.

I am a 7 handicap handsy player and my body rotation thru impact could definitely be improved !!!

Problem is I think I understand the concept in that you are using the aid to "drag" the club back down to the aiming point - it's just I cannot seem to get the thing to a point where pressure builds ???

I think I must be gripping incorrectly as people describe taking the club away and the pressure builds - sorry not for me.

The lag we are trying to achieve I've felt before and the best time I ever felt it was when I was practicing with the momentus heavy driver that seemed to get the lag going when I returned to normal clubs.

Problem is I don't get time to practice now as much as I'd like but I have made practice swings today and cannot feel what people describe - it's driving me nuts

Any help on how to place the club may help as a start, I have a neutral grip copied from 5 lessons and i've been sticking the PBS kind of between my forefinger & index finger

Help !

Thanks

Paul,

The PBS should be touching the first knuckle of your right index finger (where the finger meets the hand.) The lag pressure is felt on the downswing if the number 3 pressure point, where the knuckle touches the PBS, is directly in the back of the shaft applying the pressure. I'm guessing the problem is in your grip. Perhaps not in the first knuckle or behind the shaft.

Kevin

Still struggling with this aid which is really annoying as there's so much love out there for it.

I am a 7 handicap handsy player and my body rotation thru impact could definitely be improved !!!

Problem is I think I understand the concept in that you are using the aid to "drag" the club back down to the aiming point - it's just I cannot seem to get the thing to a point where pressure builds ???

I think I must be gripping incorrectly as people describe taking the club away and the pressure builds - sorry not for me.

The lag we are trying to achieve I've felt before and the best time I ever felt it was when I was practicing with the momentus heavy driver that seemed to get the lag going when I returned to normal clubs.

Problem is I don't get time to practice now as much as I'd like but I have made practice swings today and cannot feel what people describe - it's driving me nuts

Any help on how to place the club may help as a start, I have a neutral grip copied from 5 lessons and i've been sticking the PBS kind of between my forefinger & index finger

Help !

Thanks

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Just made a couple more swings and one of the key issues is the pressure reduces when I make my backswing therefore this causes an impossibility to hold the pressure on the backswing.

It it the grip causing the issue, I would have thought i'm a good enough player to work it out if I'm doing things about right ?

Help Please !!

Paul,

I don't feel any pressure on the backswing, you want to feel the pressure when the shaft sets at the top, if you are a swinger rather than hitter, and should feel the pressure all the way down through the line of compression. :lol: Sorry, learning TGM, love attempting the lingo. :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thanks for the responses Kevin, that's what I thought pressure should be felt at the top of the backswing alas for me it aint I lose the pressure that I have at address.

I'll keep trying to experiment - I so want this aid to work !!

Regards

Paul

Paul, maybe you are a hitter and won't feel the pressure until you start the down stroke. Nothing wrong with that!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Perhaps I'm off base here, but could one of the issues be that some of us are swinging golf clubs that are too light? I struggle feeling the clubhead with or without the PBS and was thinking about using some lead tape on my 6-iron. Which leads to a second question. Is there a thread or a link to a resource for the proper way of adding lead tape to an iron without promoting a draw or fade? I would like to make the club head heavier without impacting the ball flight. At least at the beginning.

I think that the base of your trail hand index finger is "deaf" to the sensations that it is capable of "hearing" - I agree that a heavier club turns up the volume so that your "lag pressure point" (base of trail hand index finger) can hear it.

It is like trying to pick out the flute in a large orchestra..... if the flute player turns up the volume for a short time then you can hear it loud and clear....even when they go back to playing normal volume...why?...because your ear and brain have been educated.

A heavier club will do the same for you lag pressure point - do not worry about trying to hit balls until you at least get the experience of lag sensation in your finger. Then go back to your normal club as soon as your finger is tuned into what the flute sound like.

Then start with putts, chips, pitches, only then full shots. A better player who already swings with lag pressure (but may not recognise it yet) will graduate more quickly to full swing.

If you are swinger (use body rotation more than trail arm triceps thrust) then you load the sensation at transition and you have to ONLY SUSTAIN that same pressure.

If you hitter (use traill arm muscle thrust) then you have to increase your lag pressure sensation from minimal at transition to more at impact).

The sensation in your finger acts like a massive beacon that tells your brain where you hand is in space and in relation to your other body parts. Your brain can integrate that feedback with your visual input of "aiming point" -just use the ball as aiming point to begin with...then experiment to x or y inches infront of ball - but stay along the ball to target line).

Your brain can easily draw a straight line between the finger sensation and your aiming point...it will automatically program your body to move your hands in such a way as to maiantain the sensation, stay in balance and direct the sensation at the aiming point....the thrust sensation (the force feeling) will be an invisible straight line....but your hands and clubhead will move in a curve - just like they should do. Remember to use force feedback from your feet and body to stay in balance whilst directing finger force. You may even start to feel that you need to push your feet down onto the planet to really drag your loaded right finger down to aiming point...that is a good feeling...it is what Sevam wanted people to feel....love the feeling of "planetary realignment" as your feet shove th eplanet around! But this time you are doing it with direction and alignment!!!!!

Learn these sensations and concepts without a ball....probably without a club....all of that stuff will detract from your force sensations and will put you in mind of hitting the ball.

If you are struggling with PBS then you need to forget about golf until you feel the force sensation.

Attach the PBS to your, or your wife's, or wives' (for polygamists) handbag and swirl that around. Make it heavy - full of cash, make-up, whatever.... feel your finger....rotate your body swingers and let your arm and handbag fly up....if you keep rotating then the pbs stays in place....THAT IS A MAJOR CLUE....

Then graduate to the club....ignore the clubface....it will sort itself out.....use the force experienced in your finger and get your body to direct it at the ball.

Then look what that does for your right (trail) shoulder....no coming over the top...your right shoulder goes down towards the ball along with your pressure loaded index finger.....and you did not have to think about your right shoulder....WOW... the sensations in your hands (combined with your wonderful human sense of balance and a brain which can integrate sensory and visual information at an unconscious level) have guided your pivot....I say again ...the sensastions in your hands have guided your pivot.....hands controlled pivot.

Use PBS with handbag...then use with golf clubs but no ball...then club and ball......then play Golf with the PBS mark VII ( highly miniturised device built into the skin and subcutaneous tissue of the trail hand index finger.... the good news is that the Mark VII PBS comes free with every standard PBS a free bonus not even on the advert!!!!....as long as you do the drills) :rolleyes:

Sorry Jeff, I hope that I have not put anybody off this product...I have not even got a PBS Mark I but i have developed a PBS markVII after alot of hard work...I did create a simliar device which provided auditory feedback when lag pressure was exerted... but that was abit annoying on the range!!

DISCLAIMER

1. Please note that when swinging a handbag there should be ample space and no small children or valubles in the immediate vicinity.

2. Golfbulldog does not recommend or condone polygamy but does admit that there are times....well...you know....

Richard,

What a wonderful post!

No apologizes needed you will have your own Pure Ball Striker soon.

Thanks for the outstanding post!

Jeff,

I would like to thank you for your time and instruction on Tuesday. You cleared things up with the correct use of the PBS and I as guessed it was I that was making things more complicated. I used the 32 ball drill as you demonstrated and with each time I can feel the lag pressure with more shots than before we met.

I have only been to the driving range twice this week but I am going to play 18 today and will let you know how that went.

My return trip tool a little longer than planned. Radiator hose on my Durango burst because the rear heater core was bad and leaked all the coolant out. Forty miles from home,tow charge, labor and parts....

BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!! I LEARNED FROM YOUR LESSON!!!

I noticed Garret was tied for second in Q school. I'm sure you're both pleased.

Thanks Jeff and I hope to see you again.

Cliff

Cliff it was great fun sharing with you last week. Sorry to hear about your radiator that must have been what that smell was in the parking lot.

Either way I'm not able to maintain the pressure on the PBS - it's driving me mad !!

Make sure you aren't gripping the club too tightly or allowing it to get in the palms of your hands instead of your fingers.

I was gripping the club too tightly which kept the club from lagging at the start of my downswing. Try right hand swings only, that helped me get the sensation of pressure.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Hi

So finally I can also add a few comments to my training with the PBS...the concept of PP and aiming line was new for me...so I took a position a few inches in front of the ball and tried to direct the pressure of the PBS to that point...

My results so far:

-I didn't gain significant length perhaps only 5 yards, 160 yard for I5 but now...that's OK for me...the short distance may be also due to fact that the temperatures have dropped here in Bavaria to nearly 0 degrees Celsius...

- I gained a surprising amount of stability...I have a very few mishits...I hit all the short irons with a very high trajectory and surprisingly I could hit the five iron and also could take out my four iron of the basement (couldn't hit that before)

I think this is due to the fact that I'm directing the PP and not try to steer the club head to the ball (before I often hit fat/thin).

- I don't like the feeling during chips, but my chips were tremendous when I took the PBS off :-)

- Putting was really great, it gave a feeling of very stable hands.

Only negative point:

-I have a tendency now to push the ball...

I know it is hard to say without video, but could this be related to the aiming point/line? (btw my wife also tends to phave pused with the PBS)

Can I change the direction of the ballflight with changing aiming point?

(This is all so new...before I always thought, shoulder down, come from the inside, keep the lag,...no I'm just thinking get the PP to the aiming point...not sure what my body is doing...:-))

Thanks and cheers

Alex

Had the honor and priviledge of meeting Jeff Evans today. Jeff if you haven't been able to tell already, is an absolute class act. Even though he is a very busy guy, he will always make time for you to answer any question you have big or small. He genuinely cares about his students and is extremely patient. He is so passionate about golf. Even though I have worked with some of the best coaches in the world (Haney and Leadbetter top assistants, and one of the Harmons) I consider Jeff to be one of the most knowledgeable instructors in the game. He simply could answer questions these top authorities never had an answer for. It was over an hour drive out to middle of no where Florida to watch Garrett Willis play the final day of q-school, and easily qualify, I am so glad I did, not only because I got to watch a dramatic round of golf, but more so because I got to pick the brain of one of the best golf coaches in the world.

We watched Garret, but I learned more from asking Jeff questions. The Golfing Machine is actually so much simpler when you know the basic fundamentals of aim point, lag pressure, and a few others. Aim point is simple: from the top of your swing, draw an imaginary line to a spot in front of your left footish and swing your hands down to that spot, not the ball (simple).

The golf swing can be very complicated if you make it that way. It can also be overwhelmingly simple if you just use a pure ball striker. I learned that you need to put the pbs more towards the bottom of your index finger, not the top, and not to strangle the pbs. Just start with the pbs in the correct position, and don't strangle it, let it go for a ride and you will know if you are maintaing lag pressure if the pbs doesn't fly out in front of you. I guarantee you will hit it better.

Anyways,

1.) the pbs makes the golf swing insanely simple, and you need to buy one right away if you haven't, it'll make golf so much more fun

2.) Jeff Evans is an absolute genius

3.) Jeff Evans is very patient

4.) Tell everyone you know about Jeff Evans

5.) Jeff Evans didn't pay me to write any of this, this guy is as good as I'm saying he is

6.) Jeff Evans made me excited about golf again

Granger thanks for coming out and walking with me while I monitored Garretts final round. Thanks again for allowing me to share with you some of the TGM concepts.

Help !

Thanks

Paul

Test your Pure Ball Striker with your Momentus and see if you feel/sense the clubhead lag pressure laying accross your right index finger at the top of you motion!

Thanks Jeff , worth a try !

Regards

Paul

Once you are able to sense that pressure direct it towards the bottom of your swing arc just infront of the ball while maintaining the pressure in the trigger finger through impact and follow-through. Remember this is clubhead lag pressure. Allow your pivot and and arms to move at the same RPMs while you drag the clubhead weight into impact and follow-through momentum will want to carry you through to finish.

idiotbox

how did you use this device? what did it do for you?

i'd love to make this work for me too.

I too suspect you are over complicating the matter.

-Grip it so it is against the base pad of your right index finger

-Feel pressure there

-Make your backswing

-From the top feel an immense amount of pressure in that pressure point, as much as you can possibly place there (sergio halfway down probably has 3x the pressure in there that you do..at least)...that immense amount of pressure means you have created lag

-Maintain that pressure all the way through impact and into your follow through

-Voila

Jeff should include this post with every PBS.

Haha. That is what this thread is for. Hopefully it helps the people who were struggling!

This thread and subsequently the PBS has done more for me than the thousands I have spent on lessons. I was lucky enough to get instruction and a little insight from the man himself and I am afraid that if I had not, I would be chasing my tail.

Al,

I am so happy that I could help! We are near the final stages of booking a Pure Ball Striker Golf Get-A-Way the first week in December the 4th - 6th just outside Tampa. If anyone is interested just drop me a PM and I will get you the details once they are set. Cost will be very affordable for 3 days of instruction 4 hours daily lunch included and rounds of golf in the afternoons with private instruction available after lunch.

Thanks for the support!

Jeff,

I was wondering if you are still planning on the PBS Get-A-Way in December. Can you provide us some info please?

Thanks,

Cliff

Cliff,

We are going to have a Pure Ball Striker Golf School at Hernando Oaks Golf Club just outside of Tampa, FL in Brooksville starting Thursday, December 4th thru Saturday, December 6th, 2008. Space for 10 golfers at $495.00 a golfer. This includes daily a 4 hour golf school and rounds of golf in the afternoon lunch included. E-mail me at [email protected] for more infromation or call me at 478.718.6564.

Hi Folks,

Here is a nice e-mail I received a few days ago about the Pure Ball Striker and I thought I would share it with you.

November 11, 2008

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting me so quickly after my PayPal payment failed to show my completed order.

I am not a teaching pro, a pro, or a player with a handicap. I am a

beginning golfer who is quite addicted to the game. I practice frequently, but there never seems to be any consistency in my swing. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to try the Pure Ball Striker and I knew I had to have one, well actually two. The PB Striker made my grip feel comfortable; therefore, I felt comfortable. My take away was better and I was hitting the ball square.

I have purchased several training aids and have borrowed several, but the Pure Ball Striker seems to be my "fix." I only wish all beginning golfers knew about the Pure Ball Striker.

Angie

Is this thing still 19.95 shipped or has it gotten cheaper? I only got to page 7.. :)

Demand has already skyrocketed on this product. It would not make economic sense to lower the price currently. Maybe when demand subsides.

Knowing how good this product is, I would have gladly payed 195.95

Is this thing still 19.95 shipped or has it gotten cheaper? I only got to page 7.. :)

Demand has already skyrocketed on this product. It would not make economic sense to lower the price currently. Maybe when demand subsides.

Knowing how good this product is, I would have gladly payed 195.95

Logan,

What's up when do you go to qualify next? How is the game coming along! How to talk soon!

I would like to apologize for not being able to get the videos up on youtube. It has been frustrating not being able to provide you guys with video help!

However, allow me to offer some helpful hints to using the Pure Ball Striker. The Pure Ball Striker helps the player to sense their clubhead lag and sustain the line of compression from impact to follow-through. The wonderful thing and not so wonderful thing about the trigger finger is for some it is difficult not to flip through impact. With the Pure Ball Striker in place others find it as a missing piece of the game that completes their motion. Helping them control their distance and accuracy.

I have noticed that many golfers have benefited by being able to maintain their lag pressure throughout their strokes making it easier to control the ball behavior and their over-all scoring abilities.

The lag pressure is steady once it is loaded and directed towards the ball/impact and follow-through once the players follow-through is complete the pressure will be maintained with the momentum of the club and body pivot.

Aiming Point for the general player is in front of the ball only because most golfers throw their clubhead at the ball instead of directing their hands past the ball. By directing the hands forward of the ball the golfer allows for maximum clubshaft lean creating and sustaining the line of compression.

Thank you in advance for the understanding my technical difficulties I will continue attempting to get these video issues resolved.