2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Played yesterday, hit 14 GIR left one on the fringe below the hole hit one over the flag, misjudged the wind, one less club would have been stiff. Hooked two shots left of the flag for my only two really bad approach shots of the day, if I would have putted normal would have shot low (for me) I ended up with a 78, not bad for dead of winter with little practice the last two months. Thanx for your comments and advice, hopefully I get to play again before March. I also hit my driver pretty solid, hit a couple a little thin but all in play with a nice draw, now if I can just have some warm weather maybe my muscles will loosen up.

Thanks again.

dlygrisse,

It's fun to see a true "student" of the game like yourself having success with this little training aid. Great stuff, keep it going! Have you tried the PBS with your putter? It has helped me sense a little pressure on the shaft in putting, instead of complete throw away. It got me back to using a short putter and feeling like a golfer again!

Kevin

I did hit a few practice putts with it in my basement while watching some football, but putting is usually the best part of my game and I dont like to tinker with it too much. While I did have a bad putting day during that round I would attribute it more to not playing much as of late, and a lack of feel on dormant greens. I can see how it would help if you are flipping the head of the putter and getting a little overactive with the right hand/wrist. Glad to hear you are back with a "real" putter, to me long/belly putters are a crutch, and should be against the rules of golf, but that is JMO.

BTW Kevin I have been following your new found love of TGM throughout this forum, I have got to say it sounds like you are really excited about the whole deal. I have really learned a lot about the Little Yellow Book from this site and Iseekgolf.com, I had the book collecting dust on the book shelf for probaly 8 years, and had given up on it, now I am starting to understand it, I really wish there was a GSED in the area so I could work some more with it. I dont think it is the be all end all of golf instruction, but it certainly should help anyone perform at a higher level if understood properly. I need to figure out if I am hitting or swinging, I feel like I want to use a hitters angled hinge release with a swingers motion, I am accurate with that, but lack power, anyway good stuff here as always.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Not sure if its been mentioned here yet, but there is a very similiar device also out there called "accuhit".

Anyone tried it yet and how does it compare?

http://accuhitgrip.com/

looks a little larger than the PBS and it fits around the whole grip and looks like it stays in place until you take if off the club yourself.  This device may be more similiar to the old Hogan drill of taking off the index finger and the thumb of the right hand.  The PBS may be more for feeling that lag pressure in the index finger, so these devices while being very similar, could be used for 2 different things.

Not sure if its been mentioned here yet, but there is a very similiar device also out there called "accuhit".

looks a little larger than the PBS and it fits around the whole grip and looks like it stays in place until you take if off the club yourself.  This device may be more similiar to the old Hogan drill of taking off the index finger and the thumb of the right hand.  The PBS may be more for feeling that lag pressure in the index finger, so these devices while being very similar, could be used for 2 different things.

Copied from the site:

"This repositioning of the thumb and index finger reduces the amount of unnecessary, and undetectable pinching pressure exerted on the club. This pinching of the club with thumb and forefinger can destroy a golfers swing."

Looks as if it is almost trying to accomplish the opposite, and eliminate pressure point 3. That pinching of the club is the key to golf. Why try to eliminate it?

Copied from the site:

"This repositioning of the thumb and index finger reduces the amount of unnecessary, and undetectable pinching pressure exerted on the club. This pinching of the club with thumb and forefinger can destroy a golfers swing."

Looks as if it is almost trying to accomplish the opposite, and eliminate pressure point 3. That pinching of the club is the key to golf. Why try to eliminate it?

Incorrect.  You dont want any "pinching" action between the right thumb and index finger.  That is the whole idea behind Hogan's drill where you swing with the index finger and the thumb completely off the club.  What you want is to have your right index finger in a "trigger" position and feel the pressure against the lower inside joint of the right index finger (PP3) and the pressure should go towards the target on the downswing.

Here is my review and opinion of the PBS:

First off, I need to express my opinion of Jeff Evans. He is a class act and has been great to work with. I ordered my PBS at the end of December 2008 and when it didn’t arrive a few weeks later, I contacted Jeff and he said that he would immediately send two more in the mail free of charge. That was great customer service and for that alone I would highly recommend working and dealing with Jeff. Once I received my PBS I started experimenting with it this last week with 3 range sessions and putting every night with it on my practice putting mat in my home.

Regarding my range sessions, it should be noted that I live in Utah where its obviously snowy and cold right now and am forced to practice on the mats. However, I feel that I have a good sense of how the ball should feel and sound at impact and the mats didn’t really deter me from knowing if the PBS works or not. I haven’t used the driver yet with the PBS but have used it with my Wedges to my mid irons and can say that there is a noticeable difference with how I feel at impact. Even though I can’t visually see if I’m creating more lag, it feels as though I’ve been striking the ball better - especially with my shots 50 to 100 yards out. This product isn’t meant to make it so that you hit it in the sweet spot every time and you shouldn’t expect this. That is a question of swing mechanics and alignment. However, does make you have a better position at impact.

The one other thing I can also add is that the PBS works really well with the putter. This alone is worth the $20 investment. I never thought that you should create lag with your putter, but this product does do this and I can certainly tell a big difference in the short time I’ve used the PBS on how much more “feel” I have with the putter. It is really amazing.

This is a great product and I encourage anyone reading this article should buy one.

Copied from the site:

Incorrect.  You dont want any "pinching" action between the right thumb and index finger.  That is the whole idea behind Hogan's drill where you swing with the index finger and the thumb completely off the club.  What you want is to have your right index finger in a "trigger" position and feel the pressure against the lower inside joint of the right index finger (PP3) and the pressure should go towards the target on the downswing.

I don't know how you can tell me that something as subjective as feel is incorrect. And yes I understand PP#3 quite well. What I am saying is that when a great amount of pressure is exerted from PP#3 I could see how many people could feel it as a "pinching" sensation. For me it is an immense amount of pressure right up against the base pad of my index finger. But for someone else I could see them feeling pinching associated with that feeling. Not the way I percieve it, but obviously in the realm of feelings that could be associated with PP#3.

The accuhit looked to me as if it was trying to deliver a different feeling to its user. It talked about making that area of the swing as pressure-less as possible. I didn't read anything about PP# 3 or anything in non TGM writing that resembed PP#3. In fact the main goal of the training aid seems to be relieving tension.

My opinion, and my perception of feelings associated with the PP#3.

I have an Accuhit and it works perfectly. You get more solid and longer shots. The pinching is exerted by the TIPS of the right finger and the right thumb. You can use Accuhit and at the same time keep a better pressure in the PP#3. Accuhit just avoid to pinch the club tightly with your tips -as you said relieving tension there-, but the PP#3 is enhanced

I am not sure about the real reason why it works but it does

The Accu-hit is a wonderful product! We found it when we did a patent search. However, the Pure Ball Striker gives the player feedback even when the pressure is not maintained by twisting and/or coming off! The Pure Ball Striker also serves as an alignment aid in that the player can align the top-line 90-degrees with the face of the club helping to ensure that the players grip is correct. Once again the accu-hit is outstanding BUT I have always been here to answer your questions and will continue to support each of you!

After putting my clubs down for a while and spending some quality time with Mr. kelley's book and the Alignment Golf DVD's (I am still at the tip of the iceberg here, but at least found the right iceberg!), I set out to the range with the PBS and my 56*. WOW! I basically focused on 70 yards and in, but it was great to really feel what the PBS was all about! Although this is just one baby step, it was nice to feel the proper lag that went along with those shots and the sensation I should feel in the PP3 when making a golf stroke (be it hitting or swinging, although it was more noticible when hitting with the press).

Going to keep working on that and in a week or so move up to more of a complete swing!

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Accuhit is sold with other purpose that feeling the PP#3 and the lag. It seems to be designed to get rid of the extra tension in the right hand especially in the tips of the right thumb and index fingers.

Tommy Armour in "How To Play Your Best Golf" said that "the tightness of the right hand must be half than the tightness in the left hand" (for righties).

Hogan said that the extra tension in the tips of the right index and thumb can kill a powerful grip.

I got one Accuhit and I also use it to sense the lag but I think that maybe the PBS is better designed to sense and sustain the lag. See a picture of the Accuhit:

I have a quick question. I have been working with the PBS for about 4 months now. When it is on the club and I am chipping with it, contact is crisp and the club is behind the hands at impact. When I am not using it, I start flipping the head ahead of the hands. Thin contact, fat, and topped :russian_roulette: . Are there any drills for chipping with PBS that will make the technique better when the PBS is off of the club? I am going crazy and starting to think the chip yips are moving in. Thank you.

I have a quick question. I have been working with the PBS for about 4 months now. When it is on the club and I am chipping with it, contact is crisp and the club is behind the hands at impact. When I am not using it, I start flipping the head ahead of the hands. Thin contact, fat, and topped :russian_roulette: . Are there any drills for chipping with PBS that will make the technique better when the PBS is off of the club? I am going crazy and starting to think the chip yips are moving in. Thank you.

Go back a couple pages in this thread or use the search function and find Jeff's "32 ball drill". Sounds like what you are looking for.

Go back a couple pages in this thread or use the search function and find Jeff's "32 ball drill". Sounds like what you are looking for.

Thanks Logan, I will work on that tonight. It is frustrating to practice with it and feel the lag on a chip, then go to do the real thing without it and have the right hand just start throwing the head at the ball. This drill should get to start trusting the correct motion. There are a lot of "mental" issues right now with my chipping. AGGGHHHHH! :rolleyes:

After putting my clubs down for a while and spending some quality time with Mr. kelley's book and the Alignment Golf DVD's (I am still at the tip of the iceberg here, but at least found the right iceberg!), I set out to the range with the PBS and my 56*. WOW! I basically focused on 70 yards and in, but it was great to really feel what the PBS was all about! Although this is just one baby step, it was nice to feel the proper lag that went along with those shots and the sensation I should feel in the PP3 when making a golf stroke (be it hitting or swinging, although it was more noticible when hitting with the press).

Going to keep working on that and in a week or so move up to more of a complete swing!

Jake,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

It sound like you are having a great start with your Pure Ball Striker.

As build your motion keep us posted and if questions come up I am here to help!

I bought my PBS several months ago, but havn't had much time to practice or play. After reading this thread, I am very anxious to start practicing with it.

So do you literally focus and keep your eyes on your aiming point? If your aiming point is your big toe and you want to direct the PBS to that point, do you look at your big toe and not the ball during your swing?

where should the handle point at impact? your belly or left hip or outside you left hip, etc..

Great question, and I am looking forward to Jeff's answer. Be a little patient as he is at the PGA show...

My opinion would be that it is not one size fits all. It will depend upon your point of impact, low point, and what type of ball flight you are trying to achieve. I believe the club shaft should always be leaning forward through the line of compression. More so for the wedges, and less for the driver. Just my opinion, again, Jeff will give us the real scoop.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I bought my PBS several months ago, but havn't had much time to practice or play. After reading this thread, I am very anxious to start practicing with it.

So do you literally focus and keep your eyes on your aiming point? If your aiming point is your big toe and you want to direct the PBS to that point, do you look at your big toe and not the ball during your swing?

Like the previous post, just my opinion and I will look forward to Jeff's response.

I believe you look at the ball when making your stroke, while your mind's eye thinks about the aiming point. Looking at the aiming point is for practice, and waggles. In your pre shot, focus on what you want to accomplish and hopefully your mind will duplicate the idea and feel during the stroke.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Like the previous post, just my opinion and I will look forward to Jeff's response.

I believe you look at the ball when making your stroke, while your mind's eye thinks about the aiming point. Looking at the aiming point is for practice, and waggles. In your pre shot, focus on what you want to accomplish and hopefully your mind will duplicate the idea and feel during the stroke.

Kevin

For some time now (after reading Bobby Clampets book I think) I have focused ahead of the ball, i.e. looked at a spot a few inches in front of the ball, when hitting my irons rather than at the ball. Doing this my ball striking improved immeasurably. You really dont need to see the ball to hit it well. Try closing your eyes on the downswing and see how easy it is to hit a good shot (answer, very easy) so just focusing ahead of the ball really is very simple and really helps with a ball first contact. Build this into how you use the PBS and reap the benefits.

(unless of course Geoff advises differently as he is way more informed than me)

For some time now (after reading Bobby Clampets book I think) I have focused ahead of the ball, i.e. looked at a spot a few inches in front of the ball, when hitting my irons rather than at the ball. Doing this my ball striking improved immeasurably. You really dont need to see the ball to hit it well. Try closing your eyes on the downswing and see how easy it is to hit a good shot (answer, very easy) so just focusing ahead of the ball really is very simple and really helps with a ball first contact. Build this into how you use the PBS and reap the benefits.

Thanks Pro, I can't wait to try it!

KC

EDIT: A good example of what you are saying would be Annika. I would say it worked OK for her! :lol:

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Thanks KC and hoges for your help,

I tend to get ball bound too often. I'll make a practice swing and my divot will be several inches in front of where my ball would be. Then when I actually swing at the ball my divot will be several inches behind the ball. Very, very frustrating. Hopefully the PBS will not only create lag but also take my focus away from the ball.

Kevin

(unless of course Geoff advises differently as he is way more informed than me)

I think jeff will probably say it is up to the player to experiment with. I for one agree 100% with kevin. I keep the aiming point in my mind, and look at it in my routine, but come time to swing my eye is on the ball, with mind in my hands going toward the aiming point.

Ordered a PBS and went to the range for the 1st time with it yesterday. Also been trying to incorporate Clampett's Impact Zone. Started off without the PBS and just aiming a few inches in front of the ball, actually looking a few inches in front and not at the ball. I was doing pretty well. Hitting the ball first most times.

Then I put on the PBS.....1st shot...whoa that felt solid. Look up to find the ball, where is it? Look higher, wow there it is. At least 20 feet higher than my normal 7 iron ballflight with a 5 yard draw. Look at the clubface, dead center contact. I then rip off 10 more exactly like that. I take the PBS off. Back to a little lower trajectory and not quite as solid impact. Put it back on, bam, high ballflight and high spinning iron shots. Incredible difference in contact. Now I can understand how good players can wear spots in their irons. I was hitting everything right in the middle.

Then I started developing more of a hook even though I was hitting the ball very flush. Ended up hitting some pull hooks at the end, but still hitting the ball right in the middle and very high. I will have to experiment. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am hitting it so high? Am I flipping because of the PBS?

I also have a very inside out swing path, which I am struggling to correct.

If I am forward pressing a little at setup, does that mean I am lining up the clubface a little closed?

If I can lower my ballflight a little and get rid of the hooks, I can see myself dropping 8 strokes off my HC using the PBS. Incredible results for a little piece of rubber/plastic!!!

Ordered a PBS and went to the range for the 1st time with it yesterday. Also been trying to incorporate Clampett's Impact Zone. Started off without the PBS and just aiming a few inches in front of the ball, actually looking a few inches in front and not at the ball. I was doing pretty well. Hitting the ball first most times.

Then I put on the PBS.....1st shot...whoa that felt solid. Look up to find the ball, where is it? Look higher, wow there it is. At least 20 feet higher than my normal 7 iron ballflight with a 5 yard draw. Look at the clubface, dead center contact. I then rip off 10 more exactly like that. I take the PBS off. Back to a little lower trajectory and not quite as solid impact. Put it back on, bam, high ballflight and high spinning iron shots. Incredible difference in contact. Now I can understand how good players can wear spots in their irons. I was hitting everything right in the middle.

Then I started developing more of a hook even though I was hitting the ball very flush. Ended up hitting some pull hooks at the end, but still hitting the ball right in the middle and very high. I will have to experiment. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am hitting it so high? Am I flipping because of the PBS?

If I am forward pressing a little at setup, does that mean I am lining up the clubface a little closed?

If I can lower my ballflight a little and get rid of the hooks, I can see myself dropping 8 strokes off my HC using the PBS. Incredible results for a little piece of rubber/plastic!!!

I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible from prior experience. When I use the PBS I too have a higher ballflight, because my old tendency was to flip my wrists at impact and hit the ball thin, resulting in a low ballflight. After working with my impact bag and PBS I now am compressing the ball much better and getting a nice high ball flight. I hear people say that flipping causes a high ballflight, but generally when I flip I hit the ball thin or fat which causes low ball flight.I personally don't find that forward pressing lines the clubface up closed, and it just helps me maintain a nice impact angle from the beginning. Good luck.

I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible from prior experience. When I use the PBS I too have a higher ballflight, because my old tendency was to flip my wrists at impact and hit the ball thin, resulting in a low ballflight. After working with my impact bag and PBS I now am compressing the ball much better and getting a nice high ball flight. I hear people say that flipping causes a high ballflight, but generally when I flip I hit the ball thin or fat which causes low ball flight.I personally don't find that forward pressing lines the clubface up closed, and it just helps me maintain a nice impact angle from the beginning. Good luck.

Excellent answer! It can work both ways. Someone that wasn't striking down on the ball is now, and compressing it, creating more spin and lift. Right on! Keep up the great work guys!!!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again