will a softer shaft help my iron play?

Grobster

Hi Guys!

I had always thought that I had a relatively high swing speed with my driver 95 to 105mph. However, following a couple of hours on a launch monitor, the results convinced me to buy a Cobra HS9 M/ST 12 degree regular (GD YS 4.6 ..50g 5.5deg torque) driver. More importantly on the course I am hitting this driver better than any other driver that I have ever used. Sensibly I average 250 to 270 yards, a good launch angle and pretty straight. For a long time magazines, reviews and forums convinced me that 9 or 10 degree with a quality stiff (NV65, VS Proto 65S, prolite 35s etc etc) shafts were the way to go, however results on the course suggested differently. I would never have thought that I would get the results that I am achieving with a shaft of a regualr flex an such high torque. What does this say about my swing??

I am now thinking towards making improvements with my irons. Ive got some Taylor Made RAC LT's with DG R300 shafts and I am thinking of making the move to much softer shafts, and perhaps a better release throught the ball. At present I don't actually feel the shaft 'kicks' through the ball, or releases through the ball, to give it some oomph and a bit of draw spin, so it's time to change. I am actually lookking at some irons with regular GD YS 5.1 shafts, hoping to achieve a softer shaft which actually kicks etc. The other option is sticking with the LT's and installing some softer steel shafts such as some Project X in a 4.0 (seem to be reasonable priced.)

What do the club makers on the forum think to my idea for trying this approach?

Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for your input. I do appreciate a mix of opinions.

Your suggestion of the DGS300's is exactly the train of thought that I've had for the past few years...and I've tried s300's for a season in some RAC TP MB's. Unfortunately, I just didn't seem to get any energy loaded into the shaft and hence both the quality of ball striking and distance suffered. Accuracy was fine, however it felt as if the shaft was only doing half the job that a shaft is meant to do, because it wasn't releasing through the ball.

I can't ignore the results that I am getting now from a much softer shaft in my driver. I had gone down the logical route of getting shafts, which on paper, were more suited to my swing speed, however results weren't as good as I had expected. They made me swing out of my natural comfort zone in an attempt to load the shaft. With a softer shaft my swing is so much more composed, relaxed and repeatable...all of which gives me a better quality ball strike, accuracy and distance.

I suppose the question in my post should really have been 'having found a driver shaft which suits my swing so well, can this be used as an indicator for other types of shafts that I should have in the bag....including my irons?'.

An old pro once told me to check my ego at the door and it will facilitate my progress. At one time I too was of the understanding that if your swing speed was pretty high, you'd best be served by a stiffer shaft which would supposedly minimize dispersion. By the way, my driver swing speed is almost identical to yours. Over the course of time, we have tweaked my set to find the most ideal setup and flex characteristics for me. I ended up still using a stiff flex driver but my steel iron shafts are regular flex and they help me get more height and distance to my shots. The old pro told me that it was best to use the softest flex that still allows me to keep my dispersion in control. Some people with significantly slower swing speeds than mine may still need stiff shafts because of the manner with which they load the shafts on their downswing. I don't load the shaft as much but do generate adequate speed hence a regular flex is still stable enough to suit my particular swing. This is just my personal experience and your results may vary.

Cheers for the feedback and comments. I have visited the FAQ on the Truetemper site, and the following statement on there makes me think it is worth trying giving a different, perhaps softer, shaft a try.

Statemen on the True Tempr FAQ ....'Although swing speed is not the best determining factor when choosing the right flex shafts for your game...'

I'll give it a try!

Your SS is nearly identical to mine. I am in the process of switching from stiff to regs right now. I'm getting better results and better feel. Now, I have a smooth tempo and transition. This probably wouldn't work otherwise. But if you are smooth, also,l it could very well work.

You should not be in r300s at that swing speed, you should be in s300s. so NO, your train of thought is not correct, a stronger shaft will always tighten dispersion.

Disagree with that. By that notion, we should all be playing x-stiff to get even tighter disperson Sometimes to tight of a shaft kills accuracy. It must be a flex that fits and stronger shafts don't always fit.

Those swing speed charts are simply a beginning or starting place. The truth in what you need is how and where you load the shaft. If you can feel the head and where it is, is a good indicator of the shaft you need. The despersion will help also. A shaft thats to stiff can make you swing harder and harder to get some feel, which will over time reck your tempo. A softer shaft will help keep tempo because you will feel everything more. The old pro gave you good advice.

Those swing speed charts are simply a beginning or starting place. The truth in what you need is how and where you load the shaft. If you can feel the head and where it is, is a good indicator of the shaft you need. The despersion will help also. A shaft thats to stiff can make you swing harder and harder to get some feel, which will over time reck your tempo. A softer shaft will help keep tempo because you will feel everything more. The old pro gave you good advice.

Exactly. I swing a driver around 90; I hook it off the planet in regular flex. :russian_roulette: I have to play stiffs. And even R300's balloon my irons too much (and I hit the ball rather low otherwise). To each, their own.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same speed range as you too. I swapped an Aldila NV stiff for my regular re-ax burner driver and it was a wonderful improvement. I'm hitting lower, longer and straighter than ever averaging around 240yds. However... so I thought I was ready for stiffer shafts and recently bought a used set (couldn't pass up the deal) of G5 with TFC 100 stiff and they feel like hitting with boards to me. I demo'd a reg flex and loved it but felt it was a bit too wobbly. So I was wondering, I've heard that frequency of a shaft is a great indicator of the stiffness. Also kick point and tip too will make a huge difference on how the shaft feels. I hit way too high too with the TFC 100 reg flex. Where would I go to find the specs on the ping shafts and compare them to other shafts like Aldila or Grafalloy? If I could get the same feel that the Aldila driver gives me, it would be worth chaging them all out -- or if the specs are the same, sell the G5/stiff and but G5/reg and save $300 :)

• 1 year later...

Status at present is that I've moved to DG R300 Lites, and I am hitting the ball sweater, further and more consistently. With a nice repeatable gentle draw, couldn't be more happy.

I tried the S300's at the recomendation of one of the above replies. Absolutely the wrong move for me!!! I was trying so hard to put a load into the shaft that I was contorting my body and swing into all sorts of weird shapes. As a result control and consistency went out of the window.

Conclusion - Softer shafts aid the smoother swinger!!

[quote name='gb1232' date='24 February 2009 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1235451040' post='1511165']
I'm in the same speed range as you too. I swapped an Aldila NV stiff for my regular re-ax burner driver and it was a wonderful improvement. I'm hitting lower, longer and straighter than ever averaging around 240yds. However... so I thought I was ready for stiffer shafts and recently bought a used set (couldn't pass up the deal) of G5 with TFC 100 stiff and they feel like hitting with boards to me. I demo'd a reg flex and loved it but felt it was a bit too wobbly. So I was wondering, I've heard that frequency of a shaft is a great indicator of the stiffness. Also kick point and tip too will make a huge difference on how the shaft feels. I hit way too high too with the TFC 100 reg flex. Where would I go to find the specs on the ping shafts and compare them to other shafts like Aldila or Grafalloy? If I could get the same feel that the Aldila driver gives me, it would be worth chaging them all out -- or if the specs are the same, sell the G5/stiff and but G5/reg and save $300 :)
[/quote]

Here are some specs on Ping's graphite shafts. http://www.americangolf.com.au/irons_shafts.html#

And here are the specs on the graphite shaft offerings from Ping custom. http://www.ping.com/customize/default.aspx

You can always give Ping a call, they have excellent customer service.

play the most flexible shaft you can still control, and allows you to control ball flight. everything else comes down to ego unfortunately. no matter how fast you swing, it all comes down to shaft load.

on a side note, how stiff do you think hickory shafts were? didn't stop golfers pre 1930s. I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but more than half the people that golf have shafts that are too stiff.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png