Female Golf Sponsorships

Why is it so hard to acquire sponsors?
Why is it so hard to acquire golf sponsors?  Unless you are a prominent high school or college golfer, you go unnoticed. What about the individuals that aren't in high school or college?  In addition, I have been told first hand that most major golf sponsors will not look at you unless you are already on tour.  What happens to individuals that truly have the talent and skills to make it on tour, but they have to work a full time job, in order to pay the bills?

I know that most people will say, if you are good enough then you should play on tour and make a living. However, travel expenses and tournament fees aren't cheap and you must have paid time off from your job to attend.  Others will say that you should go to Q school.  How do certain individuals acquire special exemptions into numerous golf events because of who they know?

Any insight to this topic will greatly be appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is any way to make it on your own, pick up a check here or there,

maybe hit a big one to free you up for awhile, then thats the way to go.

Sponsers are looking for a return on there money, and want an assurance that

the player has a good chance to deliver, and there is nothing wrong with that,

because its their money on the line.

Best scenario for a young player is have a family or friend with money they don't mind

using to help you. That is a few and far between shot.

What ever you do follow your dream, send entry app. into Golf Channel Big Break, I've got

a friend who's waiting on a spot and meanwhile working and practicing.

Good Luck.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

Good Luck,

without having done some very great things, winning or placing in "Big Events". It is a very tough road to travel. I have a few friends who are very good players in their own right, Not PGA tour good but can hold their own in some smaller events ie Gateway tour, State events. the list goes on. They all know a lot of people and their famlies know lots of people who are interested in helping out with their "Dreams". They all put together a Resume. They had golfing meetings and personal meetings with people from their Country Club or Friends of their Families, Friends of Friends with money to blow. They would take them out to their insructors and show them their "Game" if you will. They would ask for donations, sponsorships to help. My friends would also have handy a list of events they were going to play in, what the entries fees were what it would take for travel and lodging and food. They would hit up as many people as they could for whatever they could get. They would have some guys give them as much as 20,000 and some would just do 2,000. But here is the kicker in most cases this was an IOU or a loan with a promise to pay. Unless you get really lucky and there are plenty of people out there with money to burn they might just donate a load of cash becaues they believe in you and your game. THis is all just the begining. if all goes as planed you'll be knocking on the door of some major golf co. hope this was informative

• 2 weeks later...
All I can say is good luck. There are so many good golfers men and women. For instance here in Central Florida there a ton of girls who play the Futures Tour and pay their own way or have family and friends "sponsor" them. The best bet you have is to win something noteable and go from there.

You need to win something very noteable. Or a string of near-wins. A full time slot on the big tour with decent success is the only logical ticket.

I saw a recent mini Q & A with Kim Welch, winner of Big Break Ka'anapali last year, plus a Duramed victory and signed as touring pro by the Ka'anapali resort. The Sacramento Bee asked her the specific question, how much she can count on in sponsor's money for 2009, even if she never makes a cut this year. I'm sure it's good for Futures Tour/part time LPGA level, but hardly a bundle:

http://www.sacbee.com/golf/story/1521866.html

Q: What's a ballpark figure in sponsorship income if you didn't make a cut in 2009?

A: $20,000

How can you expect some company to part with a significant sum of money to pay your way when you are still keeping a full time job? You really need to put your own money where your mouth is in the first place. You're asking someone else to take a big risk on you and you have no track record. Companies burn money on people who have all those things you mentioned and still don't make it. If they took a chance on everyone like you, they'd end up seriously out of pocket.

If you're serious about it, you need to give people a good reason to sponsor you. Being able to point at results in bona fide events would be a good start. If memory serves, you've only been playing for about a year, so there is no track record to look at. I know that in the men's game there is talent everywhere. What it really comes down to is whether you have the bottle or not and I don't think that's something you ever really know until you are in that situation. Sponsorship is not charity. Sponsors tend to want something in return and given that it's probably 1 in a hundred that makes it from a grounding of lots of talent, it's not a good bet unless there is something there to show otherwise (namely results).

Good luck

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

It is unfortunate that you cannot play and practice full time due to holding a job. According to your profile, you have been playing less than 2 years and have already progressed significantly. I can't imagine how far you would be if you could practice and play 8 hours per day versus 2-3. It would be a nice world, if sponsors looked at someone's talent and potential versus waiting until the person is on the big stage. In addition, unless you have serious contacts like a few (i.e. M. Wie), you will not see one dime until you establish a winning streak or top ten finishes on tour. I hope and pray that you are able to achieve your dream. Maybe some individual or sponsor will step up to the plate and invest the money. Maybe they will sponsor the money on a conditional basis that you deliver certain results.

It's VERY difficult for men to get sponsors, it's exponentially harder for women. Why does Lebron James make more sponsorship money than Lisa Leslie? It's all about dollars to these big companies. They want their product to be seen by millions of people being used by SUCESSFUL athletes.

Good luck to you!!

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

As a former professional of 14 years, and having ventured down that road, maybe I can shed some light on the subject.

Why is it so hard to acquire golf sponsors?

Unless you are a nationally prominent player, have qualified for certain events on your own, or are an accomplished college golfer you are just a face in a crowd of thousands chasing the dream. There are so many people trying to make it, both men and women, in professional golf that you have to stand out in some fashion. That is typically accomplished by winning events, shooting a very low score in an event, or playing at a private club and creating a buzz there where a group of members will come together and sponsor an individual. It is tough because it is expensive and unless people think you are really great, they really like you, or just have an obscene amount of money....they don't just give their money away to anyone. From the golf club end, you can get a club deal (usually a discounted rate, PUD or something) when you are on some professional golf tours. Those deals go through the players sponsorship department. I have not seen many mini tour guys, unless they were former tour players, who got paid to play certain clubs or balls. They just got deals on the clubs, balls, etc.

For example my roommate in Florida shot 59 at his home course in Maryland. He they qualified for the US amateur, and then finished very high in the Maryland Open, and also played on the University of Maryland golf team. Several members of his country club came together and had him form a LLC and each invested $5000 (amount that can be written off for a bad investment). He was given 50 K per year for 3 years (5k per individual) under some sort of a contract. He would put back all earnings (golden bear tour) into a central account. He could keep 20 percent of the winnings for himself in a separate savings account. All of his expenses were able to come out of the central account. At the end of the year, anything over the 50 K was disbursed between the investors, anything under 50 K, the sponsors would "fill" the account to 50 K. He made 78 K the first year, so they ended up making money that year. It took him 3 or 4 years of relationship building with these guys at the club to get to the point where they were ready to help him out, not to mention he shot 59.

What about the individuals that aren't in high school or college?

Just to make it clear, playing in college or high school is no guarantee that you will be a great player. There are many people on the mini tours that have never played in college. But, unless you have tournament results of some sort (with some success), where is the incentive for someone to invest money? Similar to a bank lending money, unless you can prove that you can repay the money (aside from the no doc loan nonsense) the bank typically will not lend it.

In addition, I have been told first hand that most major golf sponsors will not look at you unless you are already on tour.

I was sponsored by Titleist, Taylor Made, and Mizuno during my career. I never received any cash, but did get my equipment for free. But I also provided a service for these companies, I sold their gear at the club. It was a win win for them. There are "sponsor" deals persay for minitour players, but it comes from building relationships with reps at events, and doing well. Those are typically playing contracts where you have to submit your playing resume, so you can imagine that the competition is fierce. Again it comes down to are you going to be someone that can give them brand recognition in the future? They are not going to give you free stuff out of the kindness of their heart.

What happens to individuals that truly have the talent and skills to make it on tour, but they have to work a full time job, in order to pay the bills?

I did that for 14 years. As a golf professional it was hard to get time off to play in events. That hurt my ability to get a sponsorship deal. After I qualified for my one PGA tour event in 2001 (Doral), it sparked interest and I actually had a sponsor deal that fell through. So again, it is all about results. Before I qualified, minimal talk as I had some success locally and state wide. After I qualified, there was serious talk and almost had a great deal. All about the results and being at the right club.

How do certain individuals acquire special exemptions into numerous golf events because of who they know?

Happens rarely. And when it happens on tour it usually for long standing friends of prominent players or excellent friendships of players with the sponsors of the event.

The bottom line is professional golf is a tough road. There are so many great professional golfers across the country that unless you do something to earn that sponsor deal, or happen to be in the right place at the right time, it is not going to just surface. People that are successful in business are successful for a reason. They typically don't just throw money at the hopes of some success, they usually use the old recipe that past performance can be a good indicator of future performance. Most all of the mini tour players I know acquired their deal through country club relationships or a vast family fortune. Some did it on their own, but after some help initially. It is not cheap, and you best be prepared to shell out some cash if you want to follow that dream. But if you are good enough, and have confidence in your game enough that you feel that you can compete at the highest level, then go for it. Club deals and such will surface when you qualify/play in a professional tour and have some success.

You could also write the various club companies and see if there is any interest.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Why is it so hard to acquire golf sponsors?  Unless you are a prominent high school or college golfer, you go unnoticed. What about the individuals that aren't in high school or college?  In addition, I have been told first hand that most major golf sponsors will not look at you unless you are already on tour.  What happens to individuals that truly have the talent and skills to make it on tour, but they have to work a full time job, in order to pay the bills?

I know that most people will say, if you are good enough then you should play on tour and make a living. However, travel expenses and tournament fees aren't cheap and you must have paid time off from your job to attend.  Others will say that you should go to Q school.  How do certain individuals acquire special exemptions into numerous golf events because of who they know?

Any insight to this topic will greatly be appreciated.

CallawayGirl,

My wife played the Futures Tour for 5 years and the regular LPGA for two. She played in two US Opens and two Mcdonalds Championships and unfortunately she had a group of sponsors for only two years on the Futures Tour,

It is extremely hard for a female golf professional to obtain sponsorship. Been that way for a while. You just have to be lucky to meet the right people at the right time.

Not trying to be negative just giving you some facts.

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, a question with SUCH A big answer! To put the previous guys' comments into perspective - the current European No.1 who won 5 tournies last year and one in 2009 already, taking her tally to 11, who is featured on TV at every event and is interviewed pre-tournament, adorns the cover of many event programmes, features in magazines related to the events as a starting favourite and throughout the tour, is struggling to get sponsorship of note! No club manufacturer is prepared to pay! Can you believe that?

This is all about 'selling' yourself - sponsors want something in return - that something is either 'you' for corporate days to impress clients and/or 'coverage' - when I say coverage I mean TV coverage....unless they can get TV coverage they are pretty much disinterested. THere are far fewer people watching ladies golf than the men's. This was borne out by the Dubai Ladies Masters which I covered as a photo/journalist and the Dubai Desert Classic last weekend. Also because many events outside of the USA fail to get 'live' coverage, it reduces the number of sponsors that are interested...then at some events there is no coverage (chicken and egg syndrome). It really is a very difficult thing to do but you have to get yourself 'known' through results and through good PR (If you can't invest in a good PR agent then you can find lots of ways to promote yourself....local radio, magazines, newspapers and of course best of all the internet! If you have the 'looks' then you could part-time model (some of the players are making more money modelling than they do on the course!) - look into utilising the internet to raise money too - it's an inexpensive way to do it - for example: I run www.ladiesontour.com which is dedicated to promoting ladies pro golf - I promote players that don't get much PR coverage but also we are looking at sponsoring a new player with talent, via the membership of the site....then we would utilise twitter, facebook, myspace etc to develop the name and provide PR ......I know of other sites that also sponsor players - you could sell shares in yourself, and raise money that way.....start thinking outside the box - perhaps you could work part-time rather than full-time and practice more hours to reach the top......for ladies there is no easy way up! You can always write to me at the website...

also, if you're already all decked out with callaway gear, why would they give you money for something you're doing anyways?

Club companies don't pay Futures Tour players and some LPGA members don't have club deals. She is looking more in lines of financial help for week to week expenses and entry fees. Like said above you need to either have big connections, rich friends, or have faith and go out there on your own dime. I paid my own way and didn't get too far but good luck.

Not many of the LPGA women are payed very much via club sponsorships...it's definitely nothing like what happens on the PGA Tour. The chance for the ladies to make sponsorship money is to either be a VERY heralded young player and sign the most lucrative deal you can immediately, or be VERY successful and make dollars that way. If a heralded player gets out on tour, takes a chance and doesn't jump at a sponsorship that's available before they start full time status on tour, then were to fail on tour, they would be completely let out in the cold.

I have a few friends that play out there, and they say that the small amount they can make isn't worth having to play a certain companies clubs over say a brand they prefer but that doesn't pay.

Heck, there are some ladies out there that don't even get a ton of club free. There aren't many, but there are definitely a few out there that paid for the clubs they are gaming.

I believe the bulk of the sponsorship money out there for your average LPGA Tour player is in BONUS money for finishing high in a tourney while bagging a companies clubs.

Sponsor contact was, proportedly, the justification behind Bevin's/LPGA statement re English speaking. Another opportunity to schmooz with the big guns. There are a few players that have parlayed their ability to favorably interact with ProAm partners into some kind of sponsorship connection -- corporate events, etc. No guarantee, assumes Tour status, and a bunch of other connections... but ProAms are a potential connection vs. forced to play with some ego-driven group of big spenders. Unfortunately as others have said, ya gotta be somebody before you can even get your foot in the door ... shoot, find the door.