"Flying Wedge"

avrag

Can somebody please explain?
I have read about it in every topic that deals with S&T (and in a few others as well). I did the search, and again, I found all the topics in which somebody mentions the "flying wedge". But I didn't find an explanation anywhere. I gather it must have something to do with keeping certain angles in the swing. But what exactly do you mean by it?

Thank you

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In S&T they talk about the right flying wedge but there's the right and left flying wedge found in TGM. The flying wedges are the angles formed in the wrist. The right flying wedge is the amount of bend in the right wrist, backwards bend. The left flying wedge is the angle of the left wrist ****.

They are referred to as flying because they are moving.

The right flying wedge keeps the clubshaft on plane of the right forearm and the left flying wedge allows the left wrist to **** and uncock getting the left arm and clubshaft in line. This allows for precision assembly and alignment of the power package structure and is mandatory during the entire motion.

Is there a max right flying wedge angle, and how do you know if its too much... or too little

Yes this determines the angle of approach of the right forearm and the degree of shaft lean at impact

Max flying wedge right forearm appears well forward of the ball and clubhshaft with lots of lean...

Minimum flying wedge looks like throwaway

dudek779.gif

It appears the right flying wedge is TGM speak for a "push release" . Would there ever be a slip hinge release in the TGM world or is this taboo...

"Push Release"...Could you elaborate?....The right forearm flying wedge determines the angle of descent and angle of approach to the ball and it changes depending on the degree of roll imparted by the hands during the impact to followthrough!

David; I think the term traces back to Percy Boomer... essentially I think it is the right flying wedge, but i don't speak TGM too well... as contrasted with the slap hinge release where the left wrist hinges and the right hand fires past the left... supposedly generates more hand and clubspeed...

OK...thank you...in TGM terms that would be a "flip release"

David can you elaborate on what is the preferred release(s) and what is verbotten... (BTW,I take it a 'flip' release generates more speed but is to be avoided??) Thanks

The preferred release is dependant upon the pattern you are trying to achieve. A flip release is capable of more speed but with that generally produces more erratic shots. It does however fit with some patterns. But certainly not S&T or any others with an emphasis on accuracy.

David can you elaborate on what is the preferred release(s) and what is verbotten... (BTW,I take it a 'flip' release generates more speed but is to be avoided??) Thanks

The preferred release is dependant upon the pattern you are trying to achieve. A flip release is capable of more speed but with that generally produces more erratic shots. It does however fit with some patterns. But certainly not S&T or any others with an emphasis on accuracy.

I knew Logan couldn't pass on a thread titled Flying Wedge! :lol: I remember the video of you doing the drill, but can't remember what I did with it...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Preferred release depends on a person Grip Type, Plane Angle, Hand Speed, Pivot Speed, and Needed time per Release Point...A very complex subject indeed!

I knew Logan couldn't pass on a thread titled Flying Wedge! :lol: I remember the video of you doing the drill, but can't remember what I did with it...

Kevin

Haha. Scary how well you know me Kev.

Here is the vid.

ETA: I have since replaced this drill with an aiming point drill using the PBS. Accomplishes the same thing, but working with the PBS really helps me understand how and why I'm able to achieve those positions.

Is there a max right flying wedge angle, and how do you know if its too much... or too little

Yes this determines the angle of approach of the right forearm and the degree of shaft lean at impact

Max flying wedge right forearm appears well forward of the ball and clubhshaft with lots of lean...

dudek779.gif

Really impressed with these pics david. Shows what a little lag pressure and a couple other good alignments can do to a golf swing!

Very good info about the right flying wedge here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/gregjwillis/LESSON1.htm

Hope this helps!!

He does a nice job with the video, however in literal TGM, the right wrist does not **** on the vertical plane, the left wrist cocks on the vertical plane, the right wrist only bends back and remains frozen.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

In S&T they talk about the right flying wedge but there's the right and left flying wedge found in TGM. The flying wedges are the angles formed in the wrist. The right flying wedge is the amount of bend in the right wrist, backwards bend. The left flying wedge is the angle of the left wrist ****.

They are referred to as flying because they are moving.

The right flying wedge keeps the clubshaft on plane of the right forearm and the left flying wedge allows the left wrist to **** and uncock getting the left arm and clubshaft in line. This allows for precision assembly and alignment of the power package structure and is mandatory during the entire motion.

Joe Daniel might deduct marks here.

I have read about it in every topic that deals with S&T (and in a few others as well). I did the search, and again, I found all the topics in which somebody mentions the "flying wedge". But I didn't find an explanation anywhere. I gather it must have something to do with keeping certain angles in the swing. But what exactly do you mean by it?

Thank you

6-B-3-0-1 THE FLYING WEDGES The Clubhead may appear to move in a an arc around and outside the Hands when related to the Left Arm – the very basic Left Arm Flying Wedge. But when related to the Right Forearm, it appears to move “On Plane” with the Right Forearm, at its normal rigid angle (Bent Right Wrist) – the Right Forearm Flying Wedge. So – except in Sections 1 and 3 (Chapter 8) the entire Left Arm, the Clubshaft and the back of the Left Hand are ALWAYS positioned against the same flat plane – the Right Forearm and the Clubshaft are, in like manner, positioned on the plane of the Right Wrist Bend AT RIGHT ANGLES TO THE LEFT ARM PLANE. That is the precision assembly and alignment of the Power Package structure and is mandatory during the entire motion. Hitting or Swinging. Study 4-D-1 regarding “Grip” and “Flat Left Wrist”. Also see 7-3. Then, ideally, the Left Wrist is always Flat and the Right Wrist is always Level

Most of the clean swings on Tour set their wedges before the top of their backswing....a lot of good players have to establish it during the first part of their downswing....and a lot of poor players never set them at all :) I think Homer at one point said if he had it to do all over again he would set his wedges... go up and down a plane angle... and add a hinge action (left wrist control of the clubface). :)

dudek779.gif

Good thing you didn't let this guy hit wound balata balls.... I think he would have made a smile or two. That is among the worst throw away pics I've ever seen!

dudek779.gif

Good thing you didn't let this guy hit wound balata balls.... I think he would have made a smile or two. That is among the worst throw away pics I've ever seen!

Don't forget that on top of the worst throw away pics ever...it is one of the greatest 6 weeks transformations in the history of golf.

....... is one of the greatest 6 weeks transformations in the history of golf.

Speaking reverently of golf's history everyone should know it was Tommy Bolt who invented the "flying wedge". JFF dts

"I launched far more (clubs) because they expected me to than I did because I was mad at anything that had gone wrong with my golf. After a while, it became showmanship, plain and simple," claimed Bolt.

Ben Hogan firmly believed had Bolt only been able to mask his emotions better and accept failure, his record would have been even better. "If we could've screwed another head on his shoulders, Tommy Bolt could have been the greatest who ever played," Hogan once said.

It was Hogan whom Bolt credited with resurrecting his career. In 1955, perplexed by a hook that worsened under pressure, Bolt sought Hogan's help. Often undone by the same malady early in his career, Hogan invited Bolt to practice with him during the off-season.

"I went to him and all but got on my knees for help," Bolt wrote in his book, The Hole Truth. "He put my left hand on top of the club, gripped it in the back three fingers of the left hand and the thumb down the shaft. It took me about a month of constant practice to get acclimated to the new grip, but I learned not to fear the hook."

Armed with that confidence, Bolt became one of the best ball strikers of all time. He also got a grip on his temper in time to win the one title he coveted, the U.S. Open, in his home state of Oklahoma in 1958. He birdied Southern Hills' treacherous 12th hole three consecutive times and finished four strokes ahead of Gary Player.

While the Open was his pinnacle, Bolt will tell you of another great moment in which the student bettered his mentor, Hogan, as well as Gene Littler, in an 18-hole playoff to win the 1960 Memphis Open. All even through 16, Bolt fired a 2-iron tee shot stiff to the flag on the par-3 17th. "When Ben said, 'Nice shot!' it was like a double clap of thunder to me," Bolt recalled. "It was the only thing he said to me all day."

Long before there was a senior tour, Bolt won the 1969 PGA Seniors' Championship and 11 other senior titles in the U.S. and Australia. He was one of the pioneers of the Champions Tour, laying the groundwork in a memorable six-hole sudden-death playoff with partner Art Wall against Julius Boros and Roberto De Vicenzo in the 1979 Legends of Golf, won by Boros-De Vicenzo.

When Nielsen ratings indicated approximately six million households were tuned in, PGA TOUR Commissioner Deane Beman was convinced to support the senior initiative, which evolved into what is now the Champions Tour.

http://www.wgv.com/hof/member.php?member=1024