YONEX NANOV 450D

driverhead

There has been some buzz on this "MILLION DOLLAR DRIVER' (YONEX NANOV 450D) due to the Japanese wonder kid Ryo Ishikawa using it. Every year I dig into the Japanese driver market, and have focused on EPon the last 2 years. I also have a Yonex NANOSPEED I driver that was voted best club in the euro show a year ago. It was a very solid design but the face was too elongated and a shade too shallow. This has been fixed with the 450D. The shaft is very light at 50 grams club length 45.5. Very easy to swing and the overall balance was great. I hit it on the range yesterday and it didnt disapoint. The face is much deeper, and sets up alMOST square. Its a cannon. The best feeling sounding composite head Ive ever hit. Since I hit it on the range I wont post a detailed review until I hit the course (hopefully the snow/ice will melt soon. I hit the 10 degree high and flat almost dead straight and some balls faded slightly. When I went full release it didnt snap hook, just a gentle draw. I also will have the 425CC version coming in next week. Will compare them head to head.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the older NanoV version in my bag. Great lower spin and launching club - and it is hot. Also like the blue metallic speckles that the cameras never seem to pick up right. I had been banging the Nanospeed at a demo day several years ago and thought it was pretty good (though I wasn't a fan of the in-house made shaft). Rep pulls the NanoV out from under the table and says "Hit this. We keep it under the table since we don't want just anyone hitting it". I did. Beat everything else out there by 20 yards. Then he says you can have one for $700. At that time I said no I can't.....but finally found one.

Supposedly the old version was used by Montie. Not sure if he is still using NanoV or has gone to Nanospeed version. I think Tad Fujikawa bagged NanoV at the Sony.

From a marketing standpoint, Ryo is young and looks like he is going to be a good one. Could be a very good signing for Yonex if they increase sales in the younger market - something Montie can't do.

Look forward to your comparison.

So, what is the model # of the million $ (R&D) Driver? Is it out for sale yet?

Its the YONEX NANOV 45OD. I got it at Tourspec. It came very fast within 5 days.

Thanks, be sure and post your review between the 450 and 425.

Im hoping to hit the course tomorrow for at least 9 holes. My home course has 6 holes open, hoping all of the front nine will be open monday. I will have the 425 tuesday, but a snow storm is predicted, hope it misses as the end of the week looks like a warming trend. Im carrying it to the 260 net on the fly with winter range rocks. I had a slight wind at my back, but temps were 36 degrees.

I gave the 450D a good workout on the range again yesterday and hit it even better. This is as big a wow factor driver as I have hit. The sense of this club powering the ball is incredible.

I've been wanting to try the NanoV after hitting an old Cyberstar recently, what a great feeling head! Can't find one so I'll wait till I can get one at a good price ($700 is a bit outside my range) however I did just score a Nanospeed I shipped from UK for $115 so I'll have to give that a go till I come across the V. Thanks for the report!

Ive hit both clubs the last few days. Right now I would give an edge to the NANOV 425, the head is smaller front to back but the face is much larger. The NANOV 450D was awesome as long as there was a wind at my back or no wind. Into the wind it ballooned a bit and hung right. The shaft on the 450D was softer and I had too much shaft lag. The 425 NANOV had a heavier and more stable shaft. The ball flight was very hot. I hit penetrating mid flight draws that were very effective into all winds , and the one downwind shot I had today I hit an easy nine iron into an up hill 440 yard par 4. I normally have a 170 to 180 yards left on that hole. Today I had 135. The 450d with the current shaft is more a finesse distance driver and requires a smooth tempo, the 425 NANOV is geared to reward an aggressive swing. 2 rounds in winter isnt much to go on yet, but the weight and setup of the 425 NANOV gave me more confidence. I only missed 1 fw over 2 rounds. When I hit a few low on the face the ball still went near normal distance. Another problem I had was getting the proper tee height due to frozen ground in the tee areas . I had to use short tees and my swing plane was not optimum. I hit by far the longest into the wind drive I ever hit on the 3rd hole, approx 270 into a 5 mph head wind, with the NANOV 425. That was one of the few tees that got direct sunlight so I was able to tee it up at optimum height and bashed it. I need a heavier tighter shaft in the 450D, and am leaning toward the AXIV CORE BLACK or red. THE 425 NANOV is perfect as is and shows great upside. Another interesting observation, the 450d is slightly closed at address and , the 425 sets slightly open. I was able to draw the open faced smaller head 425 , easier than the 450d. The 450D I hit it high straight or a slight push fade. So far the 425 has a good lead.

Great review. It seems you're really liking the Drivers. Curious what Driver(s) it has knocked out of the bag?

I basically will try just about any driver setup that exists. I love experimenting with drivers. I will say that the Yonex NanoV drivers, along with the Adams Speedline, and the HIBORE MONSTER, are some of the best and most effective designs Ive seen in a long while.

I've just look at Jan issue of Golf Classic and Ryo's Yonex 450D is 10* and playing a EV7 at TX flex and a lie angle of 57.5* and 44.75" length. Perhaps you should be looking at Ryo's spec 450D which is available as a special order (various flex) from Yonex.

The 450D needs a reshaft nodoubt. I do my own club work and have liked the ALDILA VOODOO and AXIV core shafts. I tried the 50 gram shaft as an experiment , but mid 60 gram shafts seem best for me.

Are there only two versions of the NanoV? If so, I seem to have the smaller version in 9*. It says NanoV but doesn't say 450D or any numbers, except the 9* loft.

I'm planning on reshafting it with a Diamana Whiteboard in S. The stock shaft is great but puts a little too much backspin on the ball. I get 16-18* launch angle and 3000 rpm backspin. (My swing speed is 100mph.)

So I'd love to hear some comments on the following two issues.

1. Is my driver a NanoV 425?

2. Will the Diamana Whiteboard lower the backspin?

Are there only two versions of the NanoV? If so, I seem to have the smaller version in 9*. It says NanoV but doesn't say 450D or any numbers, except the 9* loft.

I'm planning on reshafting it with a Diamana Whiteboard in S. The stock shaft is great but puts a little too much backspin on the ball. I get 16-18* launch angle and 3000 rpm backspin. (My swing speed is 100mph.)

So I'd love to hear some comments on the following two issues.

1. Is my driver a NanoV 425?

2. Will the Diamana Whiteboard lower the backspin?

Yep. It sounds like it. Here is a link to Yonex

Whiteboard will lower spin but be careful. I havent pulled a shaft from the current 425, but last years Nanospeed had a deep bore of 2 inches. A stiff whiteboard in the 425 head if the bore depth is the same will be alot for 100 mph if the bore depth is the same. If you have the same head, the 425 I have is very low spin low launch.

http://www.yonexusa.com/displayproduct.cfm?productid=212

cyberstar_c280_fl_wood.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Whiteboard will lower spin but be careful. I havent pulled a shaft from the current 425, but last years Nanospeed had a deep bore of 2 inches. A stiff whiteboard in the 425 head if the bore depth is the same will be alot for 100 mph if the bore depth is the same. If you have the same head, the 425 I have is very low spin low launch. "

Driverhead (or anyone else who can help) - I'm just re-shafting a Nanospeed i and am seriously confused - sounds like you might be able to help.

I ruined the OEM shaft getting it out, ending up having to cut it off and drill it out. I got about 1" into the hosel and seem to have hit metal. I assumed this was the main body of the driver head, so stopped drilling (!). With the hosel drilled out, it doesn't look like there is scope to go further. I can see what looks like the head of a metal pin, maybe surrounded by the broken shaft, but it might also be just part of the driver construction.

Problem is, this only gives about 1" of shaft to glue into the head. I was finding it hard to believe this was right, and your comment on a 2" bore seems to support this.

I can't find any more info on the true bore depth - can you advise how to fit the shaft and what it is that I've run into whilst drilling out the shaft?

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
"Whiteboard will lower spin but be careful. I havent pulled a shaft from the current 425, but last years Nanospeed had a deep bore of 2 inches. A stiff whiteboard in the 425 head if the bore depth is the same will be alot for 100 mph if the bore depth is the same. If you have the same head, the 425 I have is very low spin low launch. "

Driverhead (or anyone else who can help) - I'm just re-shafting a Nanospeed i and am seriously confused - sounds like you might be able to help.

I ruined the OEM shaft getting it out, ending up having to cut it off and drill it out. I got about 1" into the hosel and seem to have hit metal. I assumed this was the main body of the driver head, so stopped drilling (!). With the hosel drilled out, it doesn't look like there is scope to go further. I can see what looks like the head of a metal pin, maybe surrounded by the broken shaft, but it might also be just part of the driver construction.

Problem is, this only gives about 1" of shaft to glue into the head. I was finding it hard to believe this was right, and your comment on a 2" bore seems to support this.

I can't find any more info on the true bore depth - can you advise how to fit the shaft and what it is that I've run into whilst drilling out the shaft?

many thanks

It sounds like the tip weight is still in the hosel bore.

• 7 months later...

Can someone give a comparison between 450 and 450D? I have a chance to get either one used with the 450D being a little more expensive. I don't know which one to pick. Anyone hit both? Besides that 450D is a little closed face, are there other differences? Is 450D a better design because it's the million dollar club? Thanks in advance.