2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Thoughts on temporary greens

What "score" to accept?
I apologize, kinda lengthy but wondering your thoughts. So I played a round yesterday at a private course that had 3 "temporary" greens. They had experienced some kill during the winter. As usual they had a 2-putt circle range and cut a hole in front of the actual greens, but this circle was tiny, probably 30 feet in diamater so not at all close to the size of an actual green.

The first was #8 a 190 yard hole, the temp green was about 30 yards in front of the actual green playing about 155. Hit a ball to 35-40 feet and hammered a putt to about 10 feet and buddy hit it back and gave me par. I wasn't about to mark the ball and line up a putt on thick fairway grass. Next one was on #15, a long par 5. Hit driver-3 iron short of the actual green, in great shape usually. I was about 30 feet from the temp hole, hit a chip and 2 putted for a par although had the real green been there I would have been in excellent shape for birdie.

I played extremely well and was 2 under on the round standing on the 18th tee, which of course was the third temp green. I thought this was unfortunate because I was in position to shoot in the 60s for 2nd time ever, but pretty much couldn't with no green to use. I hit driver to 100 yards out, then lob wedge to 20 feet, lagged the putt to 5 feet and picked it up (again, I'm not going to mark a ball and line up a putt on fairway grass, it's not putting). Therefore I was 2 under on the round, and took pars on the 3 temps when I was in pretty good position on them all. However, I didn't hole out all these pars and wasn't necessarily in the designated 2 putt circle each time. I was close enough that a 2 putt would be expected on a real green. What would you guys suggest as a score to post? I shot 70 given these pars on the temps. Thanks, I just don't want to feel guilty posting this round even though it's one of my best.

Does the USGA have any say in this, or is the score not count? I've seen that you may be required to remove the 3 holes with temp greens and apply your course handicap to determine your score. I had a course handicap of 3, and the 3 holes were handicap 2, 4, 5 so I would accept +1 using this method. This course has a 72.7/140 rating so it's one of the tougher ones I ever play. Thanks for any input!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to usga.org, typed in "temporary greens" in the search and found this:

5-1a/3. Returning Scores for Handicap Purposes While Playing on Temporary Greens or Tees Q: May a club accept scores for handicap purposes if temporary greens or tees are being used?

A: Yes. If the Rules of Golf can be followed during the reconstruction period, scores should be posted. The club must contact its authorized golf association for assistance in modifying the Ratings.

This info does not provide conclusive answer to your question, but gives some direction for further research:

- If the "max two putts" option was used, then the rules of golf were not followed so the score should not be posted.

- Otherwise, the score could be posted, however with a modified rating. You would have to ask if the course was re-rated with the temp greens.

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree the "max putt" rule is bogus and I won't use that. However, temp tees affect score far less than temp greens in my opinion. These "greens" were simply holes cut into the fairway in front of the actual greens. This alters the course rating, so I think I'm going to use a suggestion I heard elsewhere and mentioned above. My course handicap was 3, and the temp green holes were the 2, 4, and 5 handicaps. So I will take a bogey on the 2 handicap even though I was in excellent position, and take pars on the other 2. In essence the hole is changed with temp greens and should be "skipped" for posting purposes.

at my course, when we have temp greens the pro shop posts all scores because the rating is impacted. so instead of 71/135, it might be 71/119 or something. I don't think you should be posting the score with the regular rating as that is not right. the pro-shop should have an adjusted rating in place and you should post based on that. IMO

edit-I guess I didn't really answer your question. assuming the handicap holes stay the same with the new rating/slope, then I think posting based on that makes it the most fair for the field in the future. so if you would have gotten 1 stroke on those holes in a match, then you should take par, par, bogey, or whatever. that seems the fairest way to do it, even though it sounds like you may have made par or birdie on all of them.

at my course, when we have temp greens the pro shop posts all scores because the rating is impacted. so instead of 71/135, it might be 71/119 or something. I don't think you should be posting the score with the regular rating as that is not right. the pro-shop should have an adjusted rating in place and you should post based on that. IMO

edit-I guess I didn't really answer your question. assuming the handicap holes stay the same with the new rating/slope, then I think posting based on that makes it the most fair for the field in the future. so if you would have gotten 1 stroke on those holes in a match, then you should take par, par, bogey, or whatever. that seems the fairest way to do it, even though it sounds like you may have made par or birdie on all of them.

Yea I think I need to take the 3 holes out of play. The course did not change the rating, so the holes with temp greens are essentially removed. Although I could have easily birdied the par 5, I will take a 6 because it is the 2 handicap. I think it evens out, and I feel guilty posting pars because I would have "most likely" parred them.

This happened to me last year, there were two temp greens bout 10 yards short of the actual greens. First temp green I hit it to 5 feet and missed the putt on the fairway grass...so I gave myself par. On the second temp green I missed the 30 foot circle just short so I just chipped it up there about 2 feet short and gave myself another par. I posted the score I shot with those 2 pars...I had a straight up hill 5 footer for birdie on the first one but I putted and missed. Chances are I would have made that putt if it was on a normal green, I didn't change the rating either when I posted.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Was the course "open" for the season? If not, then it's moot because scores are not posted for off-season play.

The USGA handicap rules provide for taking both the "most likely score" (e.g. when picking-up when out of a hole or when a stroke is conceded in match play) and for posting an incomplete round (13+ holes). If the damage was temporary and not undergoing "reconstruction", I suspect it wouldn't be feasible to have the course re-rated. What you did as far as applying you handicap to three holes with temp greens seems reasonable; as does using your most likely score on the holes. I don't think it qualifies as a "personal best" because of the temp greens but a "postable" score could be derived (if the golf season had begun).

However, I HATE speculating because the USGA virtually always has rules and decisions covering a particular situation. I don't have time to research it, but I would point you to the USGA website or suggest calling USGA headquaraters. The rules and handicap people I have talked to have always been very helpful.

Keep us "posted".