Smartphone- GolfLogix free download

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be coming out soon. It looks like they will be doing all smart phones. I won't to rehash GPS versus Lasers but for a GPS phone application this looks like the real deal and they already have over 23,000 courses. For all these people who were wonderin' if GolfLogix would be happy about Garmin coming out with the Approach it may be GolfLogix that has the last laugh. The future of such technology is in the smart phone industry, why carry another golf GPS if you already have your phone with you? Assuming it will be accurate and based on how fast these phones are developing with technology I only see these GPS phone systems becoming more accurate, in the 1-3 yard range if they are not already there.

A lot more people will spend a few bucks on a software program for their phone than spend hundreds on a stand alone platform that costs hundreds like Skycaddie and the Garmin if it can give the same accuracy. Just think how many casual golfers worldwide have iphones and blackberry, it must be 10's of 1000's. This looks like a good move by GolfLogix, they rode in with the Garmin name, established themselves as one of the market leaders, then do this. I suppose we have to see does it perform as well as they say.

They have a press release dated July 8th. I would assume that's when it will be available. You get 24 hours of use before you have to sign up for a sub.

O- i didn't read the fine print...very slick, how much is the subscription? I have ViewTi now on my iphone and have been fairly pleased,like the OP said- why have a separate GPS system when your smartphone works. The only thing I would like to carry besides the iphone might be a lazerfinder for remote situtations

They have a press release dated July 8th. I would assume that's when it will be available. You get 24 hours of use before you have to sign up for a sub.

1 day doesn't seem like a long enough period to try it out. Hope they consider at least a week or better yet a couple of weeks so you can really see how good it works under a variety of conditions (i.e. weather, clouds, etc).

In remote areas it should not matter because you are using the GPS function of the phone not the cellular/internet service. What you will probably have to do if you know cellular service to be poor in the area where the course is, is download the course before you go there and it will work fine. Clouds don't cause problems, electrical storms do but you should not be playing golf anyway in that type of situation.

Just found this: All of this and the annual Golflogix Membership is only $39.95

Here is the press release. I wouldn't count on an evaluation period longer than 1 day.

GolfLogix GPS Now Available on iPhone and Blackberry

Get Distances, Keep Score, View Statistics all on a Smartphone

FREE Downloads at GolfLogix.com

Scottsdale, Arizona – July 8, 2009 GolfLogix today announced that its advanced GPS distance and stat-tracking application can be downloaded to an iPhone, Blackberry and other popular Smartphone platforms. Golfers can download a FREE trial to their GPS–enabled Smartphones and get distances to the front, center and back of the greens as well as layups and major hazards. In addition, they will have access to GolfLogix-patented round and score tracking technology allowing them to analyze their round or compare rounds like a Golf Pro by reviewing such data as fairways hit, greens in regulation, distances of each club and more. Golfers can view the data on their Smartphones or at a personalized website hosted at GolfLogix.com.

Simply by downloading the GolfLogix application, golfers turn their phones into the ultimate golf GPS range finder. “It’s like having a caddie next to you for each shot and sharing your game with a top training pro after your round,” states Scott Lambrecht CEO of GolfLogix, Inc. With GolfLogix on their Smartphones, golfers know the distances to major targets, get accurate distances of their tee and fairway shots, are better able to select the appropriate club to clear a hazard, keep track of the distances attained with each club, and substantially cut down on wasted playing time. After the round, the GolfLogix statistical analysis offers valuable direction for the golfer’s next round.

The company is the first in the golf GPS handheld market to offer its application to GPS-enabled Smartphone users. “Golfers are bringing their Smartphones on the course anyway, it just makes sense to add GolfLogix GPS,” adds Lambrecht. “Golfers can download GolfLogix to their iPhone or Blackberry and play a round, get all the distances they need to play better and capture stats on everything from their club and shot distances to their greens in regulation. They don’t need to learn a new device and they can have all the advanced features GolfLogix offers right on their phone.

After downloading the application, golfers will be able to use it free for 24-hours and will be invited to become a GolfLogix community member for $39.95 per year. Membership will offer access to more than 23,500 golf course maps worldwide, a personalized statistic tracking website, distance information on every round, automatic score tracking, club data and more. “We see our Smartphone application as being for the technology savvy golfer who wants more information all while getting the most out of their GPS-enabled phone,” added Lambrecht.

I have to admit that the thought of spending $500 on a Garmin (or SkyCaddie SG5) seems stupid if I can get a program that will run on the iPhone or Blackberry I already have.

There are a couple of problems I foresee with this, however:

1. My phone can run pretty low on battery power by the end of the day, and using the GPS feature only makes it worse! The nice thing about a dedicated unit is that it's charged and ready to go.

2. My GPS is easy to use on the course, the buttons are big enough to use with a glove on, and it is resistant to water, dropping, and getting dirty. I'd hate to think of bringing a new iPhone out on the course with those conditions.

I have a GolfLogix 8, so I wonder if the current subscription I paid for will carry over for the iPhone app? That would be a pretty sweet deal...

mizuno-tour-knit-pom_black_charcoal_01__02597.jpg.1afb778db4a607f23063a0af4089f6a8.jpg

Callaway Paradym 9* (Kinetixx Velocity)
Tour Edge C722 3wd 
Titleist u505/Tour Edge C722 3H/Callaway Mavrik Max 5wd 
Tour Edge C722 4H

Srixon Z85 5U 
Mizuno 225 6-GW (PX IO 6.0)
Vokey SM9 54D & 60T
Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle or Scotty Futura X 35" (SS Pistol 1.0 w/ 50g CW)

2. My GPS is easy to use on the course, the buttons are big enough to use with a glove on, and it is resistant to water, dropping, and getting dirty. I'd hate to think of bringing a new iPhone out on the course with those conditions.

That's my hangup. It's tough enough concentrating on your game - now I have to worry about my phone.

That's my hangup. It's tough enough concentrating on your game - now I have to worry about my phone.

I already use Golfcard and take my iphone out on the course all the time with no problem at all.

They have a bunch of accessories which they will plan on making money on of course but if you look at some of them they appear to address some issues.

Power up your BlackBerry Curve anytime and anywhere with this advanced portable power pack. GolfLogix recommends having a battery charger so you can always utilize all of the amazing features on your BlackBerry. With this 5000 mAh lithium-ion polymer external battery charger, you will have nearly 5 times the power of the internal BlackBerry Curve battery. Plus it's small enough to fit in your pocket and comes with retractable cables, USB and wall outlets and tips for mini-USB devices like your BlackBerry Curve, plus an adaptor for Apple iPhone and iPods.

http://www.golflogix.com/website/Accessori...aspx?category=2

Dunno, I would want to try it before I spent the $ on accessories but it looks like they are trying to cover everything. Check the FAQ part as well. I just read this part.

# Q: How do I maximize the iPhone battery life while using GolfLogix?

# A: The iPhone's battery life is very reliable for many functions, we find finishing a complete round with a full battery is completed with ease. GolfLogix highly recommends that your iPhone has a fully charged battery before starting your round. Before the round, there are optional methods our GolfLogix members use that have proven to increase battery life while on the course. For example, under the iPhone Settings icon, golfers can:

* Change the Backlight Brightness to 50% or lower

* At www.golflogix.com we offer all of our member's special deals on iPhone battery charges and mounting accessories so you will never have to worry about your iPhone's battery life while on or off the course.

We highly recommend that you bring a battery extender with you to the course so you can use all of the amazing functionalities the iPhone and GolfLogix have to offer.

I have used Golf card on an Itouch. Granted no GPS but seemed ok. I'll be getting an Iphone in a week or so anyway.

Tried Golflogix gps 8 on their 30 day free trial. Didn't think it was worth 300 bucks I had thought that the system was Garmin adapted to golf but it's not. Just liscenced to use the name.

When I returned the GPS 8 under the conditions required by Golf Logix, I got hosed. I encountered the most unprofessional, condescending human beings on the planet when I called thier customer service people. They made my hormone crazed teenagers look like sainthood candidates.

If some folks out there have had a good experience with golflogix, great. I just got such a bad taste in my mouth from dealing with them that I can't stomach the the thought of giving them more of my money (as opposed to them ripping me off like last time)

How's this...

I owned the first unit they put out. Paid the yearly membership fee and decided not to renew. The awful cord they used would not work consistently and they would not replace it.

So, I was charged for the next years' fee and caled their cs to get the charges removed from my account. The cs told me he could not cancel my account and I would have to log in with my unit to cancel. I informed him my data cord was not working and could not log in. He says, and I swear, "sorry I can't help you, if you can't log in that's your problem". Asking for a manager, I was put on hold and of course got the double click and dial tone.

I really can't remember what happened after that only that I had to dispute the charges. However, I've never forgot what that cs said to me because I've repeated it a thousand times since. You'd have thought their cs would have improved.

Well, sounds like another disappointment to me. All the hype about free download of Golf Logix GPS and now we are hearing that we only get 24 hrs. to review it and then have to ante up an annual subscription fee! Take a look at GolfShot, which is a one-time charge only of $30 and, based on the photos I have seen, has a far superior UI. Let's face it, any app is only going to be as accurate as the GPS on the iPhone, so all an app has to offer is UI, features and number of maps. I will download and try the new app whenever it comes out, but it would need to be something very special to get me to pay their subscription fee.

I would beg to differ,your readings are only going to be as good as how the course was mapped in the first place. I don't give a flying fig about what application you use. Why is this such a disappointment? Because you have to pay $40?Wow, how do you think these companies make money? You want it handed to you? I suppose you want it free? Buy Golfshot, go with Skycaddie, spend whatever you want on a GPS, but you are complaining about spending $40?. AMAZING. Just cut to the chase speak to Mr McLain he will get you a nice laser range finder.

Wow, is right! Sounds like you work for the Company. I didn't write the website language that says "Get it Free! Get it Now!" Its neither free, nor is it available now. Kind of like AT&T Navigator. Download the app for free. Oh, by the way, its going to cost you $10 a month to use it (not a bad app by the way, though I am looking forward to TomTom's release, particularly as they seem to have an enhanced GPS function in the optional Car Kit). Just be up front in advertizing. Golfshot says $29.99. ViewTi says $24.99. GolfCard says $7.99. FreeCaddie is Free. That's what it is. I know, I've got them all. Apple discourages subscription apps - rightfully so, I believe (well, other than having to buy a new iPhone every year to keep up!). Oh, I guess Sky Caddie is out, too, as it charges a subscription also. On the other hand, uPro, Garmin, Golf Guru, GolfBuddy and OnPar do not charge subscription fees. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. The GPS on the iPhone does limit the usability of any of these apps (they all do a good job of going to Google and mapping a course). But, try to use one when you have no cell phone connection. Nada, unless the course maps are in your phone. The GPS is AGPS, which doesn't function well by itself, without 3G (or Edge) or Wi-Fi. But, the scorekeeping options on all these apps are great and they are a lot of fun to play with - takes your mind off that last bad shot!

Wow, is right! Sounds like you work for the Company. I didn't write the website language that says "Get it Free! Get it Now!" Its neither free, nor is it available now. Kind of like AT&T Navigator. Download the app for free. Oh, by the way, its going to cost you $10 a month to use it (not a bad app by the way, though I am looking forward to TomTom's release, particularly as they seem to have an enhanced GPS function in the optional Car Kit). Just be up front in advertizing. Golfshot says $29.99. ViewTi says $24.99. GolfCard says $7.99. FreeCaddie is Free. That's what it is. I know, I've got them all. Apple discourages subscription apps - rightfully so, I believe (well, other than having to buy a new iPhone every year to keep up!). Oh, I guess Sky Caddie is out, too, as it charges a subscription also. On the other hand, uPro, Garmin, Golf Guru, GolfBuddy and OnPar do not charge subscription fees. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. The GPS on the iPhone does limit the usability of any of these apps (they all do a good job of going to Google and mapping a course). But, try to use one when you have no cell phone connection. Nada, unless the course maps are in your phone. The GPS is AGPS, which doesn't function well by itself, without 3G (or Edge) or Wi-Fi. But, the scorekeeping options on all these apps are great and they are a lot of fun to play with - takes your mind off that last bad shot!

No, I don't work for the company, nor would I. BUT, you sound like the kind of person who would complain about your electricity bill being raised for a dollar in the middle of the summer and wonder why? Buy what you like give the forum feedback on what you bought and maybe then complain about the price. Inquiring minds want to know.Let's get some feedback. What one do you like?

For clarity, I thought I made it pretty clear I don't care what application you use, it's your perpetual complaining about price that's annoying. Like you expect it for free. If an application is truly free, then great, I don't see them being in business very long if it's a stand alone application. Common sense should tell you that mapping a course by sending people to walk it, or having some computer nerd look at imagery then map it costs money. So a company that has 10, 000 courses, developed the software, spent money on mapping each individual course...and you think people are entitled to such applications for a knock down price or for free? Where and how does a company make money? That's not how the real world works.

If it happens it happens. Any software has to be tested prior to release, it goes through "beta" stages, random people given a test module to give feedback. Ever see these these computer game testimonials? These are initially "beta testers" . They are taking their sweet time about releasing it, but life on the golf course still goes on, with or without a GPS or laser...going out to play a round right now.

I called there support line today and spoke with a very informative gentleman that discussed the 24 hour free trial with me.

According to him, the 24 hour period doesn't start until you actually download a course to play with, in essence you are able to download the application and have it on your phone for several weeks without the 24 hour trial beginning. It actually begins the moment you select the course you are going to play, with a very clear prompt that states you are beginning your trial membership. You could actually catch a late afternoon round on one day and then start an early round the next day and play two rounds before your membership expires. This is pretty fair by my standards. Look at all the free versions in iTunes of other applications and you will notice that you loose alot of functionality because its a free or lite version. This GolfLogix version gives you all the same functionality of the paid version. Hope this helps with some of the 24 hour questions.

I have used GreenFinder, Veiw Ti and GolfCard on the Iphone. GolfCard IMO is the best Rangefinder/scorecard app out there and it's only $7.99. The developer is very attentive to requests/suggestions and updates the app regularly. Most comprehensive and user friendly of the bunch. The only drawback is there is not alot of golf courses mapped on Oobgolf which GolfCard uses. It does have a small free app for your home/office PC or Mac which backs up your data and allows you to map your own courses. I personally prefer to mark my own courses, It helps me think out a strategy for the course. It also has an option for satellite view if you want to see the course map from google maps but that requires data roaming, not a big deal in the states but a huge deal in Mexico. In satellite view you can tap and drag and it will give you distances dynamically, useful if you find yourself in another fairway etc. Good stats if you want them and easy to input but also has a quick score option. Can have multiple players and email scores etc. Pretty cool app for 8 bucks and just as accurate as my friends Golflogix. I was happy with greenfinder but the have no scorecard option and View-ti was a rip off. The app is ok, clunky. The developer is the problem, slow to respond and when I bought it they didn't have multi player support, Satellite gps or a scorecard but they were promised as a future update, then the developer screwed me and many others by releasing another app with those features and tried to charge me another $25 for an upgrade! Needles to say I don't recommend the app based on customer service and it's inferior to GolfCard. If I were in the market for a new app and wanted to spend $40 then I would check out GolfLogix but for 8 bucks GolfCard is hard to beat

Just my 2c (cool)