2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

the tribute

zggolfer

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my review from my round yesterday I posted on another forum I frequent.(I assume you are talking about Otsego Club's Tribute).
-------------------------------------------------------------

So today I got up early while my wife slept and headed over to Otsego Club to play the tribute course. Gaylord really is a cute little town, and everything is so very close by. Less than 5 minutes to the course and I was there.

Having the first tee time is always wonderful, and being able to play solo, and thus zip around the course is wonderful as well. It took me just over 3 hours, and that was with taking my time over shots, pulling the flag etc.

So what about this course? Well, when I first got there, I paid my green fee, and then after paying I was asked if I wanted a bucket of balls, that would be another $5. I have always said a high end course should include range balls in the price. If you want to raise the price, ok, but just make it one price. Charging separately just comes off as nickel and diming. Someone said there were still some balls on the range, and the shop guy said go ahead, so that was fine.

Leaving the clubhouse you got a sense of the terrain and scenery you are about to enjoy. It's about a 3 minute cart ride to the first tee. The first hole is relatively plain, but a good way to get into the round. #2 is a good challenge, with a dogleg right, and today's pin was in the right, requiring a shot over a bunker.

#3 is a 400 yard hole with nearly as long a drop. Exaggeration, yes, but a tremendous drop to the fairway. #4 has an interesting split fairway in the first 200 yards or so, and then downhill to a small green on a plateau by itself. The 5th hole is a very long hole, but relatively straight away. #6 is a par 3 that is not terribly exciting. The sevneth hole is a long par 5 where home in 2 is not an option, but requires good shots. #8 is an uphill par 4 that may take driver out of your hands with a cross creek. #9 is a par 3 with a hazard for the first 125 yards or so.

#10 is a short par 4 that is tight and punishes a bad tee shot. 11 is a shorter par 5, but is a double dogleg that will be tough to reach in two without a strong drive. 12 is a shorter par 4 uphill, with trouble very close to the right side of the green. 13 is a downhill par 3 that could be a short iron with the wind. 14 is another spectacularly downhill hole, but back uphill to the green. 15 is a short par 4 that could be driven by an aggressive drive. 16 is a par 5 with a tee shot over a huge ravine, to a large green with a huge bunker in front. 17 is a par 3 that is the same direction as the 13, and can be short or long depending on the wind. The finishing hole is down from the tee and back up to the green, not terribly long but requires good shots.

The good: Conditioning and layout. These are both spectacular. The evelation changes range from subtle to dramatic, and are used to full effect. And stop and take a moment to admire the stream with the little waterfalls between 9 and 10. Just a great piece of nature right there.

Routing: This is interesting in that you simply leave the clubhouse and never see it again until you are back. You seemingly go counterclockwise around a big circle. Rarely see anyone else on the course, as only about 4 holes are near any others.

The bad: Hole locations. The greens are perfectly manicured and fast, which is good. They also have pretty good slopes to them, which can also be good. But the holes are cut in just ridiculous locations sometimes. I was pin high in two on 18, about 18-20 feet away. Had an uphill right to left breaker. Hit the putt to go about 12 feet, bal goes 6 inches past the hole, and rolls all the way down off the front of the green into the rough. It took two chips to get back up to 8 feet away. Again, a soft putt just goes past and then rolls all the way back. I had seen several that were questionable, but after #18, I think they go a little too far. I even tolld the guy in the shop, one foot towards the back of the green from where it was cut would have made a huge difference.

So was it worth playing? Absolutely. Will I go back? Yes. One of the things as well is local knowledge would be huge on this course. Had we not needed to leave for Boyne, I would likely have tried to replay and see what I could have done knowing a few things.

There is a card with detailed information that they give you, so you are not flying completely blind. A very good course.

• 1 month later...

We played The Tribute three times in July. Course conditioning was much better than the previous years. If I remember correctly, some of the holes on the back nine had fairways that were burnt out in 2008.

The Tribute is probably my favorite course in the Gaylord area, ranked just ahead of Treetops Masterpiece, Treetops Signature, and Black Lake.