2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1309836436' post='3364906']
Martin

WHAT DOES THE NATURAL EXPANDING EFFECT OF THE LEFT WRIST AND CLUBSHAFT MEAN?

THANKS
[/quote]

Stretch out your arm in front of your face and hold a club in your thumb and index finger. It will hang straight down due to gravity (90 degree angle from your club to arm). Start spinning around in a tight circle and the force of the spin will take effect on the club and the club will seek to align with your outstretched arm. The spin has a greater influence than gravity if you rotate quickly enough. The 90 degree angle that was in place when you were at rest is now an inline condition of your arm and club. If you understand this reaction and allow it to happen during your golf swing (Oh, and btw, gravity helps a little due to the inclined nature of the golf swing), you can put a bit wallop on the ball. Some talented players can even add force during expanding process.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post on GolfWRX but I made an account just to ask a question about the Tour Striker. I'm really committed to making a divot because right now I guess I seem to sweep it as most would say and I never seem to take a divot. I'm very interested in this club, but the question I have is will it help me in this aspect? I've been to the driving range a lot lately and can not even seem to get one swing where I'm making a divot after the ball. It's very frustrating and I just want something to help with my problem. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1309929201' post='3368019']
Casey, Place a tee 2.5in in front of the ball, lying flat on the ground, toward the target. Try to hit the ball, then the tee. Focus on the tee.

And yes, I think the TS 8i would be good, but a true picker like you may need to work the issue from several angles.

Martin probably has more thoughts. . .
[/quote]

Thanks Geohans, I'm definitely going to try that. I couldn't find many drills that I could do on my own to help with making a divot. I usually hit the ball pretty solid, but keeping the ball straight is my problem when I sweep it. It either goes left or right and rarely straight. I know for a fact if I could stop sweeping the ball and make a divot I will be a much solid player. I ordered the Tour Striker Pro because my swing speed is 90+. I can kill the ball so hopefully with some practice and a couple different drills I can correct this problem.

[quote name='CaseyFitz06' timestamp='1310008168' post='3370702']
Casey, Place a tee 2.5in in front of the ball, lying flat on the ground, toward the target. Try to hit the ball, then the tee. Focus on the tee.

And yes, I think the TS 8i would be good, but a true picker like you may need to work the issue from several angles.

[/quote]

Thanks Geohans, I'm definitely going to try that. I couldn't find many drills that I could do on my own to help with making a divot. I usually hit the ball pretty solid, but keeping the ball straight is my problem when I sweep it. It either goes left or right and rarely straight. I know for a fact if I could stop sweeping the ball and make a divot I will be a much solid player. I ordered the Tour Striker Pro because my swing speed is 90+. I can kill the ball so hopefully with some practice and a couple different drills I can correct this problem.
[/quote]

Casey, I'm on the road. I'll get back to you later tonight or in the am. Cheers, MC

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1310008406' post='3370721']
[quote name='CaseyFitz06' timestamp='1310008168' post='3370702']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Casey, I'm on the road. I'll get back to you later tonight or in the am. Cheers, MC
[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing some input. Thanks.

[quote name='CaseyFitz06' timestamp='1310088917' post='3373409']

Looking forward to hearing some input. Thanks.
[/quote]

Casey, taking a divot after impact is a function of how the angle of the shaft and left arm expand during the downswing given no other fishy business goes on. If the angle expands early, then you will generally have a shallow angle of attack and be less likely to take a divot. If the angle expands later in the downswing, the chance of the low point being ahead of the ball is very good.

The Tour Striker should help you understand the tool a little better and get your swing to sequence a little differently so the expansion of the angles allows for a divot. I'm not a fan of hitting down hard on the ball. Transporting angles correctly will give you all the "hit down" you need.

Thanks and good luck with the product.

Martin

Hello Martin, I'm making a drastic change from a 2-plane swing to a 1-plane swing! I figured it would be good since Hunter Mahan, Boo Weekley (sorta 1-planish), and most importantly, Ben Hogan have one-plane swings. But can you tell me what to expect in terms of accuracy and distance? I've heard that one-planers lose some distance off changing from two-plane, but gain more accuracy.

[quote name='shawk00' timestamp='1310518141' post='3386604']
Martin,

Well... I've got one on the way now as well (7i TSP). I'm not a big gadget guy but I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing is all about. I know you're making money off the product... but I still love the time you've taken to post in the thread (still reading through it :) ).

Best wishes! S...
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind note. A guy has to eat, but I sure do like helping golfers play better. Playing bad golf sucks. Believe me, I know:) I've also played some brilliant golf and that is more fun.

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1310100851' post='3373956']
Hello Martin, I'm making a drastic change from a 2-plane swing to a 1-plane swing! I figured it would be good since Hunter Mahan, Boo Weekley (sorta 1-planish), and most importantly, Ben Hogan have one-plane swings. But can you tell me what to expect in terms of accuracy and distance? I've heard that one-planers lose some distance off changing from two-plane, but gain more accuracy.
[/quote]

Well, I can say that was pretty much a HUGE mistake... but no worries, didn't ingrain it, thank God! I'm just gonna stick to a combination of http://www.swingmachinegolf.com, http://www.perfectgolfswingreview.net, and http://www.tourstriker.com like last time :)

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1310536430' post='3387398']
[quote name='shawk00' timestamp='1310518141' post='3386604']
Martin,

Well... I've got one on the way now as well (7i TSP). I'm not a big gadget guy but I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing is all about. I know you're making money off the product... but I still love the time you've taken to post in the thread (still reading through it :) ).

Best wishes! S...
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind note. A guy has to eat, but I sure do like helping golfers play better. Playing bad golf sucks. Believe me, I know:) I've also played some brilliant golf and that is more fun.
[/quote]

Martin,

Well, I've spend a couple sessions at the range... and initial impression is... this is at the top of the list for anything I've tinkered with. This thing is COOL! Very cool concept.... ;) Will post more later... :)

All the best!

[quote name='wwjbd24' timestamp='1310940411' post='3399197']
would it be too much for a newbie (hitting my 9 iron 130 or so) to get a pro x version? it looks a bit crazy compared to the regular pro version. I'm about a 25 handicap by the way so clearly my ball striking needs work!
[/quote]

The distance you hit your 9-iron is not the issue. You can have a perfect swing with fabulous impact alignments and if your personal speed puts 130 yards onto the ball, so be it.

Watching DC win the Open today was a great lesson for all of us. Half of his iron shots were 3/4 swings to control his ball.

With regard to you getting a TSPX, you'll be okay if you accept the fact that there will be some frustration and learning. Like I've said many times; the club works fine with half swings. When you can strike some 120 yard "1/2" shots, you can heat it up and swing to your potential.

I am trying to learn how to square my left wrist at impact, looks like the tour striker will give me direct feedback on this. I've been hitting balls with just my left arm but it's a struggle. This problem has caused me to only be able to hit my 56 degree 60 yards, it's brutal.

I play stiff shafts for my hybrids and driver and regular for my irons. Should I get the tour or regular version?

Thanks for your help!

I've been working with the 8I in conjunction with a swingyde for about 3 weeks. Something is working...

I have a field nearby that I could not lose a ball in for the past year. Now, I'm hitting full swings into the woods, no joke. I have to now only do 9-3 drills because full swings are about 25 yds longer than they used to be.
I still top the ball about 5% of the time, when it used to be 25%.
Question for Martin:
Is there a club similiar to the TS in a non-TS form? I hit this 8I about 15yds further than my cheap 8I and when I upgrade my irons I'd like to get something that feels and responds as well as the TS when hit pure.
Thanks, and hopefully 1 month from now I'll report even more progress.

[quote name='ihatebogeys' timestamp='1311179550' post='3407557']
I am trying to learn how to square my left wrist at impact, looks like the tour striker will give me direct feedback on this. I've been hitting balls with just my left arm but it's a struggle. This problem has caused me to only be able to hit my 56 degree 60 yards, it's brutal.

I play stiff shafts for my hybrids and driver and regular for my irons. Should I get the tour or regular version?

Thanks for your help!
[/quote]

I hate bogeys too, btw...

If you want to strike a ball with a "square" left wrist as your goal, the TS may not help you. You can learn to do that without a TS. If your subconscious isn't letting you strike a ball with square and flat left wrist, the TS will likely help you.

Post a video so we can take a look.

[quote name='blacksby' timestamp='1311186253' post='3407756']
I've been working with the 8I in conjunction with a swingyde for about 3 weeks. Something is working...

I have a field nearby that I could not lose a ball in for the past year. Now, I'm hitting full swings into the woods, no joke. I have to now only do 9-3 drills because full swings are about 25 yds longer than they used to be.
I still top the ball about 5% of the time, when it used to be 25%.
Question for Martin:
Is there a club similiar to the TS in a non-TS form? I hit this 8I about 15yds further than my cheap 8I and when I upgrade my irons I'd like to get something that feels and responds as well as the TS when hit pure.
Thanks, and hopefully 1 month from now I'll report even more progress.
[/quote]

The TS clubs have a super high CG and the face is actually "on set" as opposed to off-set like most game improvement clubs. I am working on a playing set of TS clubs and have a 7 iron proto type that I'm testing. I love the the prototype, but I don't think it will sell because it doesn't have a brand name on it like Taylor Made, Titleist, etc.

As far as recommending a set for you, I don't really have a club in mind. I'm a Titleist guy and I'm a fan of the AP1 for most players and AP2 or CB's for lower handicappers. The MB's are for high swing speed, highly skilled players.

Martin,

I've been following this thread, and watching all your promo videos and other videos on YouTube. I really like the concept of the Tour Striker and what it is trying to teach the golfer about hitting down on the ball and maintaining lag during the downswing etc.

I have a question, which fits into something my instructor told me in my lesson yesterday. What I, like most amateurs, do is try hit the golf ball with the leading edge of the golf club face. We "believe" to get the golf ball up in the air that we need to slide the club under the ball. What he told me is that in actuality, I should be aiming to not get the leading edge of the club under the ball, but I should be focussing on putting the golf face under the ball at about the 6th horizontal groove on the face. If I aim to put that groove under the ball, I can't help but hit down on the ball with forward shaft lean.

When I saw the TS and the rounded bottom, I finally could visualize what he was saying. Where the leading edge of TS face "starts" would equate roughly to the 6th or so groove on most clubs.

Amazing what seeing something actually does to understanding of concepts as opposed to just hearing words. Hoping to pick a used one of these up soon on the FST forums!

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1311563528' post='3420525']
...but I should be focussing on putting the golf face under the ball at about the 6th horizontal groove on the face. If I aim to put that groove under the ball, I can't help but hit down on the ball with forward shaft lean.

When I saw the TS and the rounded bottom, I finally could visualize what he was saying. Where the leading edge of TS face "starts" would equate roughly to the 6th or so groove on most clubs.

Amazing what seeing something actually does to understanding of concepts as opposed to just hearing words. Hoping to pick a used one of these up soon on the FST forums!
[/quote]

That's how the invention came to be....

I didn't explain it to students that way, but I would put a small Sharpie mark on the 4th groove and ask them to try and smear it while hitting a ball from a tight lie. I'd demonstrate the "smearing" then ask them to try. They realized a little "lean" with a little "down" was needed to smear the Sharpie mark. That's when I realized having no grooves at the bottom of the club would be an effective learning tool and feedback mechanism.

And the Tour Striker was born.

Hey guys, let me give you a little background info. I'm 16, about to be a senior in high school, I've played on the golf team for three years, and this will be my fourth. We have gone to the state championship every year I've been on the team, and won it my freshman year. I have never lived up to expectations though, mainly due to my inconsistency... I would really like us to win states again my senior season.
I've been practicing a lot, and have noticed my impact position has been pretty bad, leading to a bad overall swing. Before I ordered the tour striker, I knew I had a slight problem of flipping. I used to hold the lag for too long but I practiced releasing it for too long and so I started to flip(almost). I saw this product, but didn't think much of it at first. Then I played with a couple people, and noticed I didn't really compress the ball. I've always been pretty long for my age, even with flipping and not compressing the ball. Anyway, I decided this product could help me a lot with compressing the ball, stopping flipping, and improve my impact position. I asked my mom if i could do it, and she said, "Oh my gosh, that is the dumbest looking thing I've ever seen, you are not getting that." Hahahaha after a little bit of persuading I was like, "I'm paying for it so I'm going to get it." A little bit later I bet the product that our team would win states, and she accepted. So I can keep you guys updated on that if you'd like haha. I digress... I ordered mine last Thursday, and received it this morning, that's pretty fast shipping considering 2 of the 6 days were the weekend, and it had to go from California to Virginia. Right when i received it I watched the informational video, I have a pretty good understanding of the golf swing (3 hdcp. I'd like to be a + by the end of the season), but I still wanted to make sure I got all of the benefits from this training aid.
I headed down to the range, and began my session. Normally, I start out with pitches but I was so excited I had to go directly to the Tour Striker. I bought the pro x version. My first ten shots barely got off the ground, then I slowly started to figure it out. I began using my legs more in the shot and holding on to the lag more and the pall started going really high. Higher than I had expected. I hit the ball very high to begin with and this went even higher, but with a slightly different flight... It had a more boring trajectory and went very straight. It started hitting it out to the right, and remembered to change my grip a little after reading all 50 pages of this haha.... I kept hitting with it, and the results just kept getting better! It was the best feeling in the world. I moved back to my 7 iron and It kept the same results. The ball went about 10 yards further too, so I was hitting my 7 iron 180 yards, that made me feel good hahaha:) The tour striker I was getting around 200, which was ridiculous. So I finished my practice with my woods and then decided to play a couple holes. I played #13-18 on my course, and played 2 balls on each hole. I was hitting everything really solid, and the two missed greens I had I couldn't get up and down, my short game was awful. I birdied #18 though after hitting it to 3-4 feet with one of the shots, so I finished 1 over on the day. It's safe to say I am VERY impressed with the product. I imagine it is going to help me a ton!

Here are my swings the first is before I used the TSPX, look at my impact position. The second is after the TSPX.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nchsg2hOfT0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COsX4z2Tuck[/media]

Martin, if you could comment on how my impact looks in the second video, and what I could possibly improve on, it would be much appreciated! Remember, the tour striker price is on the line!!!

Thanks a bunch for your product, it is going to have a tremendous impact on my swing. I will keep you updated with how things go,
Mike

Here's my Tour Striker experience:

I'm coming back to the game after 5 years off (maybe 2 scrambles per year) and was a 7 index when I stopped playing. I've gotten back into it this year and have been regaining my form. Now shooting low 80's and getting a bit more consistent each time out. I have all of the symptoms of a flipper - High ball flight, short distance, no divot, etc. But I knew my yardages and played to them. People always thought it was weird how I was a good driver of the ball, with distance consistent with a 105mph swing, yet I hit my 7-iron a mile high and short.

I got my Tour Striker Pro 7-iron yesterday and headed to the range at lunch today. I started with the TS and from the first swing was hitting it beautifully. Ball flight was still high, but I was about a club longer. I went through a 40-ball bucket like this, with just 3 or 4 bladed shots that got out there a ways. No worm-burners. I felt like I could play a whole bag of these things without a problem. As well as I hit it, I felt disappointed, as I knew I probably wasn't getting anything out of it. I tried my own 7-iron, and probably hit it a little worse than normal. Then it occurred to me that I was hitting off of the new mats that are much more plush.

I moved over to a knackered old mat with barely any "grass" left. I had about half of my second bucket left, and then got the true Tour Striker experience - a bunch of bladey shots that ran out to about 200 yards. With some effort, I was able to hit some decent shots, then finally reverted back to my own blade 7-iron for the last 4 balls. Finally, I felt good swings with crisp contact. Can't wait to go hit tomorrow.

[quote name='Ed Rooney' timestamp='1311883545' post='3432132']
Here's my Tour Striker experience:

I'm coming back to the game after 5 years off (maybe 2 scrambles per year) and was a 7 index when I stopped playing. I've gotten back into it this year and have been regaining my form. Now shooting low 80's and getting a bit more consistent each time out. I have all of the symptoms of a flipper - High ball flight, short distance, no divot, etc. But I knew my yardages and played to them. People always thought it was weird how I was a good driver of the ball, with distance consistent with a 105mph swing, yet I hit my 7-iron a mile high and short.

I got my Tour Striker Pro 7-iron yesterday and headed to the range at lunch today. I started with the TS and from the first swing was hitting it beautifully. Ball flight was still high, but I was about a club longer. I went through a 40-ball bucket like this, with just 3 or 4 bladed shots that got out there a ways. No worm-burners. I felt like I could play a whole bag of these things without a problem. As well as I hit it, I felt disappointed, as I knew I probably wasn't getting anything out of it. I tried my own 7-iron, and probably hit it a little worse than normal. Then it occurred to me that I was hitting off of the new mats that are much more plush.

I moved over to a knackered old mat with barely any "grass" left. I had about half of my second bucket left, and then got the true Tour Striker experience - a bunch of bladey shots that ran out to about 200 yards. With some effort, I was able to hit some decent shots, then finally reverted back to my own blade 7-iron for the last 4 balls. Finally, I felt good swings with crisp contact. Can't wait to go hit tomorrow.
[/quote]

Fluffy mats are like skiing the groomers. The make you look better than you are! At least me, anyway. The lie is vital for great feedback. The tighter turf, the better.Thanks for trying it out.

Martin, if you could comment on how my impact looks in the second video, and what I could possibly improve on, it would be much appreciated! Remember, the tour striker price is on the line!!!

Thanks a bunch for your product, it is going to have a tremendous impact on my swing. I will keep you updated with how things go,

Mike

o3mll4c08g041eisk2ex.jpg