2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

Martin,
Thanks for the TS. Judging from the amount of posts, it has become quite a hit. I am no exception to the rule, love it!!!! Actually, like it so much, I was wondering if there was a possibility of a full set of these ever showing up? Would it be a legal club to use in play? Just my thoughts? DVD instruction solid as well. BZ on the product. DRS

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1314500542' post='3524479']
Martin,
Thanks for the TS. Judging from the amount of posts, it has become quite a hit. I am no exception to the rule, love it!!!! Actually, like it so much, I was wondering if there was a possibility of a full set of these ever showing up? Would it be a legal club to use in play? Just my thoughts? DVD instruction solid as well. BZ on the product. DRS
[/quote]

Oldschool, thanks for the note. Glad you are digging it.

[quote name='linden76' timestamp='1314635353' post='3527506']
Martin, very interested in seeing the new proto type that encourages proper right arm action. BTW, love my TSPro 5
[/quote]

Looking forward to getting it out there. I can't wear the thing enough! I played an awful tourney round yesterday. Too many loose shots, not mishits, just loose. I could have used the gizmo, but it with my partners for testing.

Hey Martin, I'm swinging pretty well right now, now that I bought the Impact Zone, it's a great book! Is it possible to hit a soft draw (Brian Manzella terms) with the TSPX using the sand drill described in the book? Seems like it would go kinda low but I could change the shafts to make the ball go high. Would the ball go low if you combined these 3? It's kinda difficult taking a divot ahead of the ball with inside-out approach with a flat right wrist (for lefties).

I had planned on getting a TS in the off season and recently found a used one at a local store. Tried it out in the hitting bay and granted, I couldn't see the ball flight, but hit 5 of 5 that felt just like a short iron shot and they hit the screen just like a short iron shot. So.....I don't get it. Why are people having a hard time hitting this thing? Or does this only work on a range where you have to see the ball flight?

I am by no means a great ballstriker (bogey golfer), but tend not to flip short irons. However, I do flip my wedges at times for some oddball reason. So what gives? Can anybody help? Guess I should try the Pro?

What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1314765391' post='3531304']
Hey Martin, I'm swinging pretty well right now, now that I bought the Impact Zone, it's a great book! Is it possible to hit a soft draw (Brian Manzella terms) with the TSPX using the sand drill described in the book? Seems like it would go kinda low but I could change the shafts to make the ball go high. Would the ball go low if you combined these 3? It's kinda difficult taking a divot ahead of the ball with inside-out approach with a flat right wrist (for lefties).
[/quote]

Frankie, I hit the TS7X out of a bunker from time to time; draw, fade, whatever. It flies perfectly normal. Be careful on your inside out path. It is just a degree or two, not ten.

Keep working hard on your game and studying the good stuff (IZG, Brian Manzella, etc) that you can get you hands on.

Martin

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1314767095' post='3531331']
I had planned on getting a TS in the off season and recently found a used one at a local store. Tried it out in the hitting bay and granted, I couldn't see the ball flight, but hit 5 of 5 that felt just like a short iron shot and they hit the screen just like a short iron shot. So.....I don't get it. Why are people having a hard time hitting this thing? Or does this only work on a range where you have to see the ball flight?

I am by no means a great ballstriker (bogey golfer), but tend not to flip short irons. However, I do flip my wedges at times for some oddball reason. So what gives? Can anybody help? Guess I should try the Pro?
[/quote]

Duffer, try the Pro model when you have a chance. Also, make sure you are not on a cheater lie (fluffy mat or long grass) that allows you to artificially get under the ball.

This might be a dumb question, but could the TS be replicated by chucking up an old club in a vice and taking an angle grinder to the front edge putting a large bevel in it? I have an old set that flooded in Katrina with rust spots, etc. on the heads so they're just sitting in a closet. I feel the TS would help me alot, but if I can save some money by just making one, i'd rather do that.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1314793588' post='3531545']
[/quote]

Frankie, I hit the TS7X out of a bunker from time to time; draw, fade, whatever. It flies perfectly normal. Be careful on your inside out path. It is just a degree or two, not ten.

Keep working hard on your game and studying the good stuff (IZG, Brian Manzella, etc) that you can get you hands on.

Martin
[/quote]

So for Dynamic #5 in The Impact Zone (Straight Plane Line Through Impact) just move the straight line 1 or 2 degree left of the target and start it on that line then it'll draw?

[quote name='onelochevy' timestamp='1314810181' post='3532159']
This might be a dumb question, but could the TS be replicated by chucking up an old club in a vice and taking an angle grinder to the front edge putting a large bevel in it? I have an old set that flooded in Katrina with rust spots, etc. on the heads so they're just sitting in a closet. I feel the TS would help me alot, but if I can save some money by just making one, i'd rather do that.
[/quote]

I've had guys send me pics of their homemade Tour Striker. I commend their efforts and hope they wore protective eyewear!! If you really want to make one, get a piece of 1/4" 17-4 stock and weld it on the face of a club first (don't worry about the grooves), then you can grind away and get the elevated leading edge in the right place. If you grind on a regular club, you'll see how offset it gets and rather quickly!

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1314838657' post='3533251']
[/quote]

Martin
[/quote]

So for Dynamic #5 in The Impact Zone (Straight Plane Line Through Impact) just move the straight line 1 or 2 degree left of the target and start it on that line then it'll draw?
[/quote]

Frankie, to hit a draw, you can hit straight down your target line. Remember, "straight" isn't straight when you are hitting down. So, if you do aim straight (and hitting down) you are really hitting to the right (anything going down is also going inside out or right). Add in a slightly open face and you'll have the perfect 2 yard draw. The face has to be less "open" than the path. We are talking small numbers here. Good luck. GO PLAY GOLF YOUNG MAN!

Martin, I came across a very in depth discusion over on Manzella's forums in regards to the following topic on forward shaft lean, low point of the hands & club. I'M curious on what your opinion is of Mike Jacobs findings and how they hold up to modern teaching on getting that shaft leaning forward? The link is to Jacob's youtube video discussing this concept.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfDasDW1RbM"]My link[/url]

[quote name='695MB' timestamp='1314917051' post='3535803']
How far are you supposed to hit the 7pro model? I was at the range today with my TS and was on avg. 150 yards is that good or bad?
[/quote]

As far as your body allows. 150 is good! I hit it about 185 at 4000' above sea level. If I hit it thin, on the elevated edge, I hit it farther.

[quote name='Noreaster71' timestamp='1314922924' post='3535992']
Martin, I came across a very in depth discusion over on Manzella's forums in regards to the following topic on forward shaft lean, low point of the hands & club. I'M curious on what your opinion is of Mike Jacobs findings and how they hold up to modern teaching on getting that shaft leaning forward? The link is to Jacob's youtube video discussing this concept.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfDasDW1RbM"]My link[/url]
[/quote]

Michael is a passionate and excellent teacher. I like his stuff. I don't see any ground breaking info there. Sure the hands bottom out before the ball because the left shoulder hasn't started going up yet. At some point, the club will try and seek an alignment with the left arm. There was a teacher (who I learned a lot from), Peter Croker, who wanted everyone to "throw" the club from the top. My preference is to allow the club to line up with core rotation, but I do teach the occasional player to "throw" more than store. When I teach storing, I don't say "hold."

I don't want people to have a ton of lean. The TS only wants 4 degrees of lean. That is a little more than one minute past 12 on the clock.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1314896091' post='3534917']
[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1314838657' post='3533251']
[/quote]

Martin
[/quote]

[/quote]

Frankie, to hit a draw, you can hit straight down your target line. Remember, "straight" isn't straight when you are hitting down. So, if you do aim straight (and hitting down) you are really hitting to the right (anything going down is also going inside out or right). Add in a slightly open face and you'll have the perfect 2 yard draw. The face has to be less "open" than the path. We are talking small numbers here. Good luck. GO PLAY GOLF YOUNG MAN!
[/quote]

Thanks, Martin, but you forgot I'm a lefty :rolleyes: I can do the coin drill in Bobby Clampett's book and try to pass over the left side of the coin that's 5 feet in front of my target line and that'll be a perfect draw shape for me. Thanks, Martin! Now I'm gonna play some GOLF! (that's what my dad always says, he says "LET'S GO PLAY SOME GOLF!")

Just wanted to reiterate the point that good ball strikers will have no problem hitting good shots with the TS Pro. I have the Pro X version, and every good ball striker who sees it in my bag asks if they can hit it. So far I haven't seen anyone who I would deem a good ball striker not be able to hit it perfectly fine on their first try. I have literally only been playing a little over a year and I love the challenge the club gives. My face lights up like a Christmas tree when I hit it right. I can't fathom how nice it must be to be able to just step up to this thing and hit it well. I'll be there some day soon.

[quote name='dschultz6072' timestamp='1315554949' post='3552585']
Just wanted to reiterate the point that good ball strikers will have no problem hitting good shots with the TS Pro. I have the Pro X version, and every good ball striker who sees it in my bag asks if they can hit it. So far I haven't seen anyone who I would deem a good ball striker not be able to hit it perfectly fine on their first try. I have literally only been playing a little over a year and I love the challenge the club gives. My face lights up like a Christmas tree when I hit it right. I can't fathom how nice it must be to be able to just step up to this thing and hit it well. I'll be there some day soon.
[/quote]

With your attitude, you will be a fine player soon. Hang in there and keep working at it. Pick tee times with the best players you can find and to quote Harvey Pennick, "Have dinner with good putters." I love that tip he gave to Tom Kite:)

I got my tour striker pro x 7 iron this week. It was a custom order (had to be bent). I couldnt believe how fast it arrived. I got the pro x because I am a decent ball striker but I want to dial in my swing to consistently hit the center of the face. it is definitely an intimidating club to look at right out of the box. My first session with it was exactly how i thought it would be. I started with small swings... like a big chip. Ball flight was ok but i could tell i needed to adjust my impact position. After about 6 balls i was making nice "9-3" swings and the ball was taking off like a 7 iron should. After a while i could hit draws or fades which is really interesting because you have to hit the center or its a mess of a shot. I had the occasional blade or flip in between balls but it simply gives you an awareness of how you need to be at impact and how you need to "pull" your hands through impact as opposed to hitting at the ball. I have to say that the club felt better than my own irons when hit properly. The ball comes off with a soft feel and flies perfectly. Very glad I made the purchase.

I'm puzzled by all the posts by people saying they bought the Tour Striker, strike it perfectly everytime, and love it. If you strike it perfectly everytime, it sounds like you don't really need it!

As for me, I initially had lot's of trouble getting the ball in the air, but the club has helped me better understand the proper position and feel of impact. I've gotten better with the club over time and I think it has helped my golf swing. But, once I can strike it perfectly everytime I'll likely give it to another flipper!

[quote name='zabarnss' timestamp='1315944083' post='3561930']
I'm puzzled by all the posts by people saying they tbought the Tour Striker, strike it perfectly everytime, and love it. If you strike it perfectly everytime, it sounds like you don't really need it!

As for me, I initially had lot's of trouble getting the ball in the air, but the club has helped me better understand the proper position and feel of impact. I've gotten better with the club over time and I think it has helped my golf swing. But, once I can strike it perfectly everytime I'll likely give it to another flipper!
[/quote]

Ha! Yes, it seems 50 or so guys on this thread have gone from hacker to scratch overnight because of this product....

[quote name='upanddown' timestamp='1315944899' post='3561965']
I'm puzzled by all the posts by people saying they tbought the Tour Striker, strike it perfectly everytime, and love it. If you strike it perfectly everytime, it sounds like you don't really need it!

[/quote]

Ha! Yes, it seems 50 or so guys on this thread have gone from hacker to scratch overnight because of this product....
[/quote]
I don't have trouble leaning the shaft or compressing a golf ball....but I do overswing and get out of synch as I'm working on some swing changes. The tour striker pro x has a smaller sweet spot. When you look down at the club you realize that you have to make a pretty smooth move to hit the small sweet spot. When my swing gets loose or out of synch I start hitting it low on the face or out on the toe. There is very little forgiveness with the pro x iron. Hacker to scratch is probably a stretch but the club has advantages for every level of player. If there are 20 people on a practice range....you can be sure 19 of them are flipping at it. The tour striker will help people eliminate flip and compress a golf ball. If you can already hit the ball with compression and no flip....the pro x will help improve consistency which leads to better golf overall.

[quote name='gjack' timestamp='1315932241' post='3561394']
I got my tour striker pro x 7 iron this week. It was a custom order (had to be bent). I couldnt believe how fast it arrived. I got the pro x because I am a decent ball striker but I want to dial in my swing to consistently hit the center of the face. it is definitely an intimidating club to look at right out of the box. My first session with it was exactly how i thought it would be. I started with small swings... like a big chip. Ball flight was ok but i could tell i needed to adjust my impact position. After about 6 balls i was making nice "9-3" swings and the ball was taking off like a 7 iron should. After a while i could hit draws or fades which is really interesting because you have to hit the center or its a mess of a shot. I had the occasional blade or flip in between balls but it simply gives you an awareness of how you need to be at impact and how you need to "pull" your hands through impact as opposed to hitting at the ball. I have to say that the club felt better than my own irons when hit properly. The ball comes off with a soft feel and flies perfectly. Very glad I made the purchase.
[/quote]

Thanks gjack. Glad you like it!

I'm puzzled by all the posts by people saying they bought the Tour Striker, strike it perfectly everytime, and love it. If you strike it perfectly everytime, it sounds like you don't really need it!

[/quote]

z, Tour Players use the club:) They know how to strike a golf ball, but they use it to add an element of challenge for greater feedback. Recently at a Tour event I had a bunch of guys hitting it. They all hit it right off the bat. I only saw a couple of goofy shots in 100. The all liked it with the exception of Rocco Mediate who berated it and wouldn't shut up:) While I'm a fan of the guy, he was a piece of work. I wanted to stuff a head cover in his mouth.

[quote name='upanddown' timestamp='1315944899' post='3561965']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is certainly not "pixie dust." You have to put in some time to get better. It helps in the effort.

[quote name='gjack' timestamp='1315971536' post='3562966']

I don't have trouble leaning the shaft or compressing a golf ball....[b][size="5"]but I do overswing and get out of synch as I'm working on some swing changes.[/size][/b] The tour striker pro x has a smaller sweet spot. When you look down at the club you realize that you have to make a pretty smooth move to hit the small sweet spot. When my swing gets loose or out of synch I start hitting it low on the face or out on the toe. There is very little forgiveness with the pro x iron. Hacker to scratch is probably a stretch but the club has advantages for every level of player. If there are 20 people on a practice range....you can be sure 19 of them are flipping at it. The tour striker will help people eliminate flip and compress a golf ball. If you can already hit the ball with compression and no flip....the pro x will help improve consistency which leads to better golf overall.
[/quote]

Bingo!

So do I;)

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1316057573' post='3565343']
Martin, do you have a drill for shallowing out angle of attack? I keep getting deep divots and I prefer bacon divots instead of dollar bills, maybe even sweeping the grass but with forward shaft lean, like Tom Watson. Can you explain me a drill for that?
[/quote]

Any teachers on here that can help with a question. I am not in need of help with not being steep enough. I hit down on the ball just fine. Can this help me with getting my hands a little ahead, more shaft lean? I see a few posts talking about shaft lean , are they just talking about gettiing there hands in front a little?

Martin, do you have a drill for shallowing out angle of attack? I keep getting deep divots and I prefer bacon divots instead of dollar bills, maybe even sweeping the grass but with forward shaft lean, like Tom Watson. Can you explain me a drill for that?
[/quote]

In most cases steepness has a correlation with the club face. Shut face players tend to have a shallow AoA and Open face players tend to have a steeper AoA.

How can you get a shallower AoA: Since you already have a TS, I want you to hit shots trying NOT to hit the ground while still getting the ball airborne. This extreme "picking" drill will only work if you have decent shaft lean. You'll find that you will swing a bit more inside out which helps shallow things.

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1316060663' post='3565447']
[/quote]

Any teachers on here that can help with a question. I am not in need of help with not being steep enough. I hit down on the ball just fine. Can this help me with getting my hands a little ahead, more shaft lean? I see a few posts talking about shaft lean , are they just talking about gettiing there hands in front a little?
[/quote]

Yes, in front "a little." To those that don't get the hands in front at all, it feels like the Grand Canyon. Borrow a TSP model and get on some tight turf and hit a few. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the question.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1316135448' post='3567240']
[/quote]

In most cases steepness has a correlation with the club face. Shut face players tend to have a shallow AoA and Open face players tend to have a steeper AoA.

How can you get a shallower AoA: Since you already have a TS, I want you to hit shots trying NOT to hit the ground while still getting the ball airborne. This extreme "picking" drill will only work if you have decent shaft lean. You'll find that you will swing a bit more inside out which helps shallow things.

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1316060663' post='3565447']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, in front "a little." To those that don't get the hands in front at all, it feels like the Grand Canyon. Borrow a TSP model and get on some tight turf and hit a few. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the question.
[/quote]

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

I really like your swing with irons and hybrids (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/user/cmartingolf#p/u/10/HZWWVZ-oTCg). It shows how you can get plenty of distance without trying too hard. Could you post a video of your driver swing and perhaps explain how the wrist/hand position at impact with the driver is the same (or different) than striking an iron on the turf?

With the irons it seems you almost let the club fall on the ball but that wouldn't work as well with the driver right?