2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Clone or 'Knockoff' clubs

TearsOfMcCown

Anyone have success with any of these clubs
Im looking to but a set of clubs for a family freind that basically only plays a few times a year and is not that great of a golfer. Hes 6'2'' and using some big berthas from the early 90s that are std length.

I recently got him a Ignite 460 to replace his 200cc callaway but he needs new irons for sure.

Im not huge on Nike clubs but after reading golf digest i started looking into getting him the Slingshot OSS. Only problem is he doesnt want to spend that money on something he barely uses. So does anyone know much about these clone clubs. On ebay if you put in Slingshot OSS several clones come up, some of them are under 200 and they can custom fit. Anyone think getting these clubs is a good or bad idea (one of these companies even has a 30 day money back guarantee)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, not sure if it's correct or not, but with a lot of the "clone" clubs they are designed to only LOOK like the clubs they are modelled after, however, the technology behind the clubs may not be there.

Also not sure if the quality control of the companies would be as good as OEM's. Although there have been threads doubting whether regular OEM's quality controls are very good either.

I actually own two clone clubs. The first is an Acer 3 wood and the other is an Acer hybrid. The hybrid I have retired because I not have a newer one but the Acer 3 wood is by far the best club in my bag. As a beginner I'm hitting that club about 230-240 consistently and most importantly straight (most of the time :P). But it is a great club and anyone who has ever tried it has been impressed with it, even equipment junkies.

I originally bought it because I have the same problem as your friend, I'm 6'4" and standard clubs don't work for me. I would definately recommend that you try them out, and besides most of them have 30 day money back guarantees. The best place that I know of for hybrid clubs is www.gigagolf.com You won't be dissapointed there. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I'm glad lee said it, and I'll reiterate: either reshaft the irons or put extensions in the shafts of the irons he already has. You can extend each shaft by up to an inch. It will probably cost about 5 bucks a club, plus regripping. It might take a couple of days.

Your friend has a classic Benz (probably with 20,000 miles on it)...don't put him in a brand new Hyundai.

I dont think anyone can dispute the fact of what has happened recently with technology. Clubs from 6 years ago are already becoming outdated, yet alone 14 years ago. I mean his clubs arent in good shape. Even the big berthas from that time werent true game improvement irons, im looking for some Super Game improvement irons. I for sure think most people like him or beginners need a hybrid set. Ideally something like the slingshot, A2 os or the Nickent 3dx hybrid set would be great, i just need to spend around 300

If you/he want(s) something new and shiny, that's one thing, and everyone on this board can certainly identify with that. But I really do not think that current knock-offs or clones will be as forgiving or play as consistently as even the oldest Callaway irons. Even the original S2H2's are ULTRA GAME IMPROVEMENT (most forgiving, according to the Malby Playability Factor).

Alternatively, you could get custom-built/custom-fitted component clubs (not knock-offs) for around 300 bucks. Is that what you're asking? There's a huge difference between component clubs and clones, in my opinion. Another option would be to buy a newer set of used irons (staying within your price range), or you could get his current clubs refinished and reshafted/fitted to his body/swing.

Personally, I think any of these options are FAR superior to purchasing knock-off clubs that are made to look like OEM equipment.

Copied and pasted from Frankly Golf's Maltby Playability List:

CALLAWAY Hawkeye VFT tungsten injected titanium Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Tungsten Injected Ti Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Big Bertha (original) Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Big Bertha Gold Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Great Big Bertha Tungsten injected Titanium Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Steelhead X-16 Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Big Bertha Fusion #6 Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY S2 H2 Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Big Bertha Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Big Bertha X-12 Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Steelhead X-14 Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Pro Series X-16 Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Big Bertha Ultra Game Improvement

CALLAWAY Steelhead X-14 Pro Ultra Game Improvement

Buy used originals.

I paid $325 for my Nike Slingshots on eBay. Even cheaper, and more forgiving, would be a set of Nike CPRs. You can get the irons for about $150 and the hybrids for another $100.

TaylorMade RAC OS are also very cheap and very good. Like these ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-RAC-OS-Iron...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Steve

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I use a knockoff of the Nike 460 SQ called the SV2.

I have a Grafalloy NT Prototype in it.

I have marginal success with an average drive of around 300 yards :)

I can hit anything pretty decent I just like how this club looked and the price was $100 including the shaft.

If you want to hit it in the cincy area shoot me a PM.

Your friend has a classic Benz (probably with 20,000 miles on it)...don't put him in a brand new Hyundai.

Actually, Ford would be more accurate. Since about 2001, Hyundai is practically the most reliable brand.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

I dont think anyone can dispute the fact of what has happened recently with technology. Clubs from 6 years ago are already becoming outdated, yet alone 14 years ago.

Yes, in woods I don't dispute this, and in graphite shafts or grips I don't dispute this, but in the iron heads I do. They really haven't changed that much. A couple of irons are hollow, or have a cavity channel, but if you notice callaway even brought back the original berthas a year or 2 ago.

I really would fix up his old ones. but if you must by a knock-off, I would only buy from SMT or wishon. Stay away from bondo golf i mean bang golf.

have a good time

Actually, Ford would be more accurate. Since about 2001, Hyundai is practically the most reliable brand.

Perhaps it was not a perfect analogy, and I certainly don't have anything against Hyundai, and their engineering is solid, you're right... But I think their recent large sedans have been styled to imitate Mercedes-Benz. In particular, the one parked outside my office window looks like its owner has "benzed" it out. Hence, the motivation for my imperfect analogy. It looks like a Benz, and might be as reliable as a Benz in the short-term...but does it perform like a Benz?

Also, I hadn't seen Supergolfer's previous car analogy. My bad.

Oh, and I really wouldn't call Wishon a knock-off brand. Wishon the company is a component manufacturer, using premium foundries and tight spec's. Wishon the man is a very experienced golf club designer.

Hi,

I owned a couple of clone hybrids and wedges made from gigagolf.com. I personally did not have any problem with them :)

This year will be my second full season and I aim to break 80 with my current set:

a TM 580 driver and a set of outdated ADAMS Tight Lies (all bought clearance from Dick's), 2 hybrid clones, 2 wedge clones, and one cloned 3 wood.

I would rather spend the money with some private lessons than on the equipment. I can not agree more on this:

Better to play good and look bad. Than look good and play bad....

Now come questions:

1) Do clubs really make any difference in your game? A fundamental sound swing will work on OEMs or any clones, correct? Granted, there will be some differences. But for a high to mid handicapper, does that really matter?

2) Can bad equipment hurt your game in any way? I personally don't think so, but would like to hear others experience.

cheers,

Jay

I agree with the comments to stay away from clones, but you can get some really great clubs by building them with Golfworks or Golfsmith components. The quality is there, you can build them yourselves (if you know what you are doing). You still need to watch out since you can end up spending the same price as buying a slightly used set or new set of OEM entry level clubs.

My pro has built a few sets and a correctly built/and fitted set will perform better than some of the OEM more expensive sets. Many OEM's are shipped with the wrong loft and lie on a few clubs in the set or people just buy them off the rack without getting the right club/fit for them.

I have hit a few and guarantee that if you have a name brand club and a component club, hide which one you are hitting, it will be hard to tell which is which.

Just stay away from clones....they may look the same, but do not perform the same.

I think there are varying quality clones of clubs.

I wholeheartedly agree with the iron debate. There really isn't that much technology in an iron and as long as you have good matching shafts and a decent fit you can do pretty well.

i assembled a set of King viper oversize II irons when i first started golfing. I made them a little too stiff so they bounced basically an extra-stiff. I played with these for approximately 7 years with MANY eagles and hundreds of birdies.

It came time for me to get a new set of clubs and I was at a crossroads. I swing fast and my miss is to the left so i was going to have to pony up for a set of DG X-100s or Rifles etc. I would also have to get some durometer grips which would make the shaft grip combo essentially $140.00 or so for 3-PW.

I was going to try this head because I love the look of it and i love the adjustable weights. The finish on the clubs are superb and I have access to a 3k loft/lie machine so any problems with lofts or lies would be easily corrected.

T9000-ir-l.jpg

I came across a great deal on X-16 Pro Series with Rifle 6.5 shafts and durometer grips. I figured it would take an hour to assemble swingweight etc with shaft prep assembly swingweighting cut to length and gripping so I just went ahead and went with the X-16 and saved myself the trouble of all the assembly. Besides I knew that i would probably be messing around with these in the winter with a reshaft so i figured I was basically buying the heads.

i hit them extensively at the range and they are just fine. I don't hit them any better or worse than my old irons but now I have to worry about my bag when I go into the snack bar to grab a beer after my round.

Blanket statements about clones aren't necessarily valid and with a proper swing you can hit anything. Case in point my driver. I have the money to buy a FT-3 w/ an Ozik shaft from bombsquad but what is the point if i am always 280+ no more than 5 yards from the fairway w/ a driver that cost $100? This driver does everything I could possibly ask for.

the only thing I feel worth paying a name brand for is to get forged irons. the rest is all in your head as long as the lofts/lies check out and the shaft is somewhat solid ;) Oh and they have a design patent on the 2-ball so I had to buy that one legit :crazy:

Again if anyone in the cincy area wants to hit my driver PM me :)

I think there are varying quality clones of clubs.

I wholeheartedly agree with the iron debate. There really isn't that much technology in an iron and as long as you have good matching shafts and a decent fit you can do pretty well.

i assembled a set of King viper oversize II irons when i first started golfing. I made them a little too stiff so they bounced basically an extra-stiff. I played with these for approximately 7 years with MANY eagles and hundreds of birdies.

It came time for me to get a new set of clubs and I was at a crossroads. I swing fast and my miss is to the left so i was going to have to pony up for a set of DG X-100s or Rifles etc. I would also have to get some durometer grips which would make the shaft grip combo essentially $140.00 or so for 3-PW.

I was going to try this head because I love the look of it and i love the adjustable weights. The finish on the clubs are superb and I have access to a 3k loft/lie machine so any problems with lofts or lies would be easily corrected.

T9000-ir-l.jpg

I came across a great deal on X-16 Pro Series with Rifle 6.5 shafts and durometer grips. I figured it would take an hour to assemble swingweight etc with shaft prep assembly swingweighting cut to length and gripping so I just went ahead and went with the X-16 and saved myself the trouble of all the assembly. Besides I knew that i would probably be messing around with these in the winter with a reshaft so i figured I was basically buying the heads.

i hit them extensively at the range and they are just fine. I don't hit them any better or worse than my old irons but now I have to worry about my bag when I go into the snack bar to grab a beer after my round.

Blanket statements about clones aren't necessarily valid and with a proper swing you can hit anything. Case in point my driver. I have the money to buy a FT-3 w/ an Ozik shaft from bombsquad but what is the point if i am always 280+ no more than 5 yards from the fairway w/ a driver that cost $100? This driver does everything I could possibly ask for.

the only thing I feel worth paying a name brand for is to get forged irons. the rest is all in your head as long as the lofts/lies check out and the shaft is somewhat solid ;) Oh and they have a design patent on the 2-ball so I had to buy that one legit :crazy:

Again if anyone in the cincy area wants to hit my driver PM me :)

"i'm not only the hair club president, i'm also a client."

jayzus! maybe try contacting the owners of this website. take out a full page ad?

I think if I wanted to take out an ad for the website I would perhaps actually say I use the product instead of saying I went with a callaway product instead?

Also if I was plugging the site I might want to take an image that had a shot of the club that didn't say "wedge" in the upper right obviously showing they have no attention to detail on their site.

As if people aren't plugging pinemeadowgolf or gigagolf.

I would edit the post in hopes you would get your panties out of a bunch but since you quoted it I can't do that.

Next time maybe read my post or I can maybe make the reading comprehension threshold at a first grade level in hopes you would decipher it?