after an 8 year lay off

I'll be heading out to the range to start to limber my old body out of it's mess. I'm 51 and have been disabled for 8 years.

I have pelvis problems which don't allow me to turn like I used too but still I have the urge to go out and play..

my question is do any of you other elder players have any tips on how to get back into shape and to loosen your hips up again to maybe turn "some"..

I know I'll never get back to my carded 4 hc, but to break 90 would be a lot of fun I think..

any help would be much appreciated..

Limitations..

I walk with a profound limp I have hip cartridge degeneration, and other birth defects that have surfaced..

Equipment

I'm still hanging onto my set of TA 855's stiff with graphite, but I am in the market for some "light weight" woods to aid me in my rehab back to playing..

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm 62 and a variety of health problems had slowed me down and stiffened me up over the years. I found my "salvation" at my city's municipal swimming pools. It's fairly cheap for old farts, so I'm there at least a couple times a week, year-round.

The center offers a variety of exercise programs including an arthritis class, strength and flexibility and both regular and deep-water aerobics. The instructors set a pretty good pace, but the goal is to follow as best you can without over-straining or hurting yourself.

But, whether you take the classes, swim laps, "water-walk", or whatever, it's good low-impact exercise with the water offering both some buoyancy and resistance. A number of folks are there for physical rehab.

Me? I do classes, swim a bit, and spend time twisting, turning and working out with "water weights" (sort of a foam dumbbell). A favorite exercise I use for golf is one you might like to try. I stand in water about up to the bottom of my sternum (you can find you own depth that's comfortable) and wedge two dumbbells together in a cross. I grab them and hold them under water in a golf stance. I then do a slow motion swing concentrating on my hips, turn, and arms. Once the mechanics feel right, I speed up a bit working against the "weight" of the dumbbells and resistance of the water. The water has helped me increase and keep some strength and flexibility in my swing, and in life. And, it's been a lot of fun.

Check what your own city may have available. Also, look into your health insurance. Some plans will cover part to all of a membership at your local YMCA.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Admire your courage and love of the game.

I was forced to quit golf after two spine surgeries, neck and lower back. I thought I'd never be able to play again and sold all my golf stuff. I even got rid of golf books around the house just so I wouldn't get depressed. My left arm was paralyzed for awhile and also my left leg and hip. The left side is still very weak with some nerve pain from hand to neck (must be the screws), also lower back and hip issues. But at least everything works again. shout.gif

Anyway. About 3 years after the last surgery, I started chipping and putting. Not for too long as my spine would give me grief. After awhile, I went back to physical therapy every week to specifically work on golf swing motions within my limitations. I also looked for and found a golf coach that also had back problems and was able to setup a long range (2 year) program to reshape my old style Ben Hogan/Snead swing into something that would not give me pain and work within my limitations. I ended up with a half to 3/4 compact modern swing with limited turn. The focus is on smooth release and graceful everything.

At lst, I could only hit less than a half bucket of balls at the range with soft half swings. Then I walked and played a few holes at a local par 3. After two years, I'm able to play 18 holes on a full size course without too much difficulty. No more than once every week or two and I have to ride a cart.

I'm careful not to overswing because it hurts like heck when I do. I warm up and stretch slowly before every round for about an hour as I work my way from practice green, chipping, to the range. I still have the doctor's limitations, lift no more than 10 pounds, no impact motions, watch torso twisting and bending, and all that.

I can't go to the gym because my problems are not muscular and most motions just inflame my spine. But, I have returned to golf when I never thought I would. I enjoy it more than I ever have. I play "position golf" and my short game is getting better and better.

Most games are in the mid 80's. Oh, I also redid my entire golf set to take the most stress off my spine. Lots of hybrids, 3 wood off the tee on a lot of holes, lot's of laying up, lot's of strategy. Since I've lost so much distance, my game happens from short iron to the hole. I spend most of my practice time chipping, pitching, and putting. Mostly because it doesn't make my back as sore as full swings.

I used to play with Titleist irons and woods. I switched to a high loft Ping driver, Rapture 3 wood, steel shaft callaway hybrids 4-5, and Ping I-10 irons. I carry 4 wedges and a Cleveland Niblick chipper. I no longer use long shafted woods in the fairways because it makes me turn too much on a flatter plane. The hybrids seem friendlier on my spine and are very accurate so I use them instead even though there's a little loss of distance.

I play in a large mixed senior group. A lot of the players have hip replacement, knee replacements, and back problems. They all the love the game and keep playing. We do have a retired doctor in the group so that's handy, although he's a obgyn, not sure if that helps.russian_roulette.gif

There's one senior fellow that has a handicap flag on his golf cart and smokes a cigar all day. He never hits the ball farther than 150 yards. Most always "up and downs" around the greens. Regularly makes 6-8 foot putts. Chips and pitches out of the bunkers, never explosion sand shots. Rarely double bogeys. And shoots bogeys and occasional pars all day long, week after week.

I hope this encourages you to take a long and careful route back to golf, and to stay careful when playing.

mahalo,

alohajim