2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

uPro 4.0 Update

As I was watching the statistics web page for the uPro, I have to admit, temptation was creeping in, but then decided against it.
I wanna just get the yardage and play. Really do not want to be fuzzing around with the uPro soooo much while playing a round. Get the yardage, grab the appropriate club, swing, keep tabs of how many strokes, walk to the ball, repeat the previous steps all the way until the green, then just putt away until the ball is in the hole, write down the amount of strokes and make tiny little notes (like if driver shot was ok or not, if I messed up in between tee to green what was the mistake, how was the approach and how many putts) for each hole.
I don't have to write the notes, but everything else, it seems it would take me alot less time & effort than going thru the entire steps of the statistics/scoring plus features to store it in.
Anyone tried the scoring plus upgrade yet? What are your thoughts? Easy or way too much work?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='doodle_doodle' timestamp='1280590810' post='2609970']
[quote name='No-sage' timestamp='1280530663' post='2609049']
It appears that the shot tracking portion is not working. There is another thread about it.

Basically, it comes up with an error saying there are no clubs to choose from.

I have a e-mail in to upro support, i'll let you all know what they say about it.

[/quote]

I just bought the Upro yesterday (Best Buy had it for $299 and then I can send in the $100 rebate - but the sale runs out today). I do believe that the device has to be locked into a satellite for shot tracking protion to work. I also tried it inside my house and I also got the error message but when I went outside and let the unit lock in then the shot tracker feature became enabled.
[/quote]

Let us know how that rebate works out for you. Fine print on the website say that Best Buy purchases are excluded.

[quote name='phillypete' timestamp='1280544014' post='2609382']
When this scoring/stat pack is actually work, will someone try to do a detailed comparison to golfshot?
[/quote]
Golfshots is a better stats tracker. Visually Golfshot is much better with more info and graphs show you historical trends and you even get stats per hole when the course is running. UPro is basic percentages and nothing else. Golshot is a clear winner regarding stats. So much info displayed beautifuly with minimal user input required.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Callaway UPro sent my the Sync 4.0 files to download on my computer. When I tried to open my computer went nuts. They want me to try and find another computer to download it to.

I took a risk and now that is done. No issues downloading onto my lap. However, now what? No directions as to what to do and how to get the necessary files back on the UPro. They will not open until 11:00 am eastern time and I'll already be out at that point.

Has anyone gone through this?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1280686670' post='2611508']
[quote name='phillypete' timestamp='1280544014' post='2609382']
When this scoring/stat pack is actually work, will someone try to do a detailed comparison to golfshot?
[/quote]
Golfshots is a better stats tracker. Visually Golfshot is much better with more info and graphs show you historical trends and you even get stats per hole when the course is running. UPro is basic percentages and nothing else. Golshot is a clear winner regarding stats. So much info displayed beautifuly with minimal user input required.
[/quote]

Is it that the upro is weak or that the golfshot stats are so good?

Imo upro is ok for a basic percentage, but golfshots records sand saves, up and downs, putting, scoring for par 3 4 5 and how they relate etc and all is presented VERY well

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='No-sage' timestamp='1280606081' post='2610253']
Mine is working now. I added a new course today, so I had to re-sync. I went outside and got a satellite and hte shot tracking is now working.

Last night at the range I tried with a satellite connected and still couldn't get hte tracking to work.

Don't know if it was the re-sync or what, but it's all good to go now.
[/quote]

Same here. I downloaded the update on Friday and enabled Scoring Plus, but this morning while playing a round I kept getting error messages when trying to track shots. Unfortunately we were away for the weekend and I didn't have a USB cable to sync with last night. I got home a lttile while ago, re-added a course I had removed and re-synced, and now the shot tracking looks to be working. Not sure what it is about the re-sync, but it seems to take care of it.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I am having fits trying to get the update installed! My 64 bit Windows 7 computer won't even notify me that there is an update so I tried my wifes 32 bit computer. It downloaded the update and installed it but when I reboot, I get a init error and everything reverts back to the old version. I have tried to do the update three times and get the same error everytime. Anyone else experiencing this?

WITB:
Ping S55 5-PW
Ping G30 10.5 Driver
Ping Glide Wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping G30 21° hybrid
Cobra King F6+ 25°

[quote name='Evolved' timestamp='1280683710' post='2611437']
[quote name='No-sage' timestamp='1280530663' post='2609049']
It appears that the shot tracking portion is not working. There is another thread about it.

Basically, it comes up with an error saying there are no clubs to choose from.

I have a e-mail in to upro support, i'll let you all know what they say about it.

[/quote]

I just bought the Upro yesterday (Best Buy had it for $299 and then I can send in the $100 rebate - but the sale runs out today). I do believe that the device has to be locked into a satellite for shot tracking protion to work. I also tried it inside my house and I also got the error message but when I went outside and let the unit lock in then the shot tracker feature became enabled.
[/quote]

Let us know how that rebate works out for you. Fine print on the website say that Best Buy purchases are excluded.
[/quote]

I called Callaway before buying the unit and they said that Best Buy was an authorized participating dealer for which the rebate would work. I've gone back to the website to try to find the fine print you're talking about but I found nothing relating specifically to Best Buy so I'd like to see what you're talking about. Send it to me if you can. I will keep you all updated on my rebate situation.

[quote name='alfie' timestamp='1280603426' post='2610217']
As I was watching the statistics web page for the uPro, I have to admit, temptation was creeping in, but then decided against it.
I wanna just get the yardage and play. Really do not want to be fuzzing around with the uPro soooo much while playing a round. Get the yardage, grab the appropriate club, swing, keep tabs of how many strokes, walk to the ball, repeat the previous steps all the way until the green, then just putt away until the ball is in the hole, write down the amount of strokes and make tiny little notes (like if driver shot was ok or not, if I messed up in between tee to green what was the mistake, how was the approach and how many putts) for each hole.
I don't have to write the notes, but everything else, it seems it would take me alot less time & effort than going thru the entire steps of the statistics/scoring plus features to store it in.
Anyone tried the scoring plus upgrade yet? What are your thoughts? Easy or way too much work?
[/quote]

Exactly my dilemma today as I used the device and the statistics features. My head was more occupied with fiddling with the device than focusing on my shots, and I paid for that with extra strokes. Granted, I would have probably been as preoccupied with any GPS device using it for the first time, but the statistics/shot tracking features definitely consumed more than its fair share of my mental acuity. I will say that I am very happy with the device.

Pros
The screen stayed very readable in the bright sun, I very much like the measuring feature to any point on the fairway, the layup function helped me, the unit comes quickly out of the sleep mode, simple to operate the GPS and measuring mode (but like I said - the statistics function took my mind off the game), It's very light and small and is not a problem to carry in my pocket.

Cons
I have to use the larger font, which reduces the number of points you get numbers for (but which become available with a flick of the switch), I still use a 7 and 9 wood and the shot tracker does not have those clubs in its club selection, I don't like having to see pictures of Callaway clubs when I select a club to track.

When I think of more I'll will add to this.

[quote name='doodle_doodle' timestamp='1280714639' post='2612358']
[/quote]
[/quote]
I called Callaway before buying the unit and they said that Best Buy was an authorized participating dealer for which the rebate would work. I've gone back to the website to try to find the fine print you're talking about but I found nothing relating specifically to Best Buy so I'd like to see what you're talking about. Send it to me if you can. I will keep you all updated on my rebate situation.
[/quote]

It says so on the rebate form... one of the reasons I did not buy mine at Best Buy. But, if Callaway said OK, they may have started allowing Best Buy purchases (they initially did not allow Amazon.com purchases, for instance - but do now). Or you could have gotten a clueless CSA.

[url="http://www.uprogps.com/media/pdf/uPro%20$100%20Mail%20in%20Rebate%20Form_2010_R1.pdf"]http://www.uprogps.c...orm_2010_R1.pdf[/url]

[quote name='Callaway Rebate Form']
[b]Purchases made from anyone other than a Qualifying Location are not eligible for this Promotion ( "Non-Qualifying Purchases" ) and Rebate requests for such Non-Qualifying Purchases will be void. Non-Qualifying Purchases also include, among others[/b] (i) purchases made on online auct ion sites; (ii) purchases made outside of the United States; (iii) purchases of used, refurbished or pre-owned uPro devices; (iv) purchases or redemptions made via member rewards or VIP programs; (v) wholesale, governmental, institutional or group purchases; (vi) products obtained through corporate or affliate programs, loyalty programs, employee purchase programs or points programs; [b](vii) Purchases made at Best Buy® locations or Best Buy websites;[/b] (viii) purchases without a valid receipt or order confrmation and packing list in the case of online purchases. Only actual purchasers of a Qualifying uPro purchased from a Qualifying Location may participate in this Promotion.[/quote]

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1280727266' post='2612650']
[quote name='doodle_doodle' timestamp='1280714639' post='2612358']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

It says so on the rebate form... one of the reasons I did not buy mine at Best Buy. But, if Callaway said OK, they may have started allowing Best Buy purchases (they initially did not allow Amazon.com purchases, for instance - but do now). Or you could have gotten a clueless CSA.

[url="http://www.uprogps.com/media/pdf/uPro%20$100%20Mail%20in%20Rebate%20Form_2010_R1.pdf"]http://www.uprogps.c...orm_2010_R1.pdf[/url]

[quote name='Callaway Rebate Form']
[b]Purchases made from anyone other than a Qualifying Location are not eligible for this Promotion ( "Non-Qualifying Purchases" ) and Rebate requests for such Non-Qualifying Purchases will be void. Non-Qualifying Purchases also include, among others[/b] (i) purchases made on online auct ion sites; (ii) purchases made outside of the United States; (iii) purchases of used, refurbished or pre-owned uPro devices; (iv) purchases or redemptions made via member rewards or VIP programs; (v) wholesale, governmental, institutional or group purchases; (vi) products obtained through corporate or affliate programs, loyalty programs, employee purchase programs or points programs; [b](vii) Purchases made at Best Buy® locations or Best Buy websites;[/b] (viii) purchases without a valid receipt or order confrmation and packing list in the case of online purchases. Only actual purchasers of a Qualifying uPro purchased from a Qualifying Location may participate in this Promotion.[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh boy, sounds like I've might have gotten a a clueless CSA. I will call them again today. @*&%$#!!!!!!

[quote name='doodle_doodle' timestamp='1280751813' post='2612836']
Oh boy, sounds like I've might have gotten a a clueless CSA. I will call them again today. @*&%$#!!!!!!
[/quote]

I bought mine from target.com in the winter when the rebate first came out. They had it for $199. This was the same as buying it everywhere else for $300 and using the $100 rebate.

After I bought mine, I emailed Callaway and asked them if target.com purchases qualified for the rebate. They said no. I sent the rebate in anyway...low and behold a few months later I got the $100 rebate check in the mail (for a total cost of $99). My advice, send the rebate form in regardless of what a rep tells you.

[/quote]

It's entirely possible they allow BB now. In the beginning (this rebate is over a year old now I think) they were much more restrictive, but they loosened up on some of the exclusions, ie Amazone. I did notice on the Upro GO rebate Best Buy is NOT excluded, so maybe they just have not updated the normal Upro Rebate form.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='BlackRock' timestamp='1280761559' post='2613090']
[/quote]

I bought mine from target.com in the winter when the rebate first came out. They had it for $199. This was the same as buying it everywhere else for $300 and using the $100 rebate.

After I bought mine, I emailed Callaway and asked them if target.com purchases qualified for the rebate. They said no. I sent the rebate in anyway...low and behold a few months later I got the $100 rebate check in the mail (for a total cost of $99). My advice, send the rebate form in regardless of what a rep tells you.
[/quote]

Yes good advise. I remember those discussions, I was bummed because Target was always out of stock. I wound up getting mine at GG and had them price match Best Buy.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Anyone out there used the new operating system much?

I've played one round since the upgrade, was surprised to see in the fairway view of Promode two 'chevrons', one at the top, and one and the bottom of the screen, each with a distance that changed as I scrolled along the fairway. One points up and the other down.. There's also a red icon that appears in the center of the display, that seems to be a layup distance marker, but I'm not really sure. it disappears when you scroll up far enough to view the green. Can anyone shed some light on what these are measuring to or from?

I foolishly didn't download the new instructional videos, and now realize these features may be discussed in them (I found the original videos a bit lame, didn't think for a second I might need to see the new ones).

Oherwise I'm liking the update a lot. the scoring package is cool but limited as most of them are. it does do the basics however. Given the stupid bets and junk that my group insists on playing for, there isn't a scoring package on any GPS that would provide it all anyway.

Steve

[quote name='ramsey_steve' timestamp='1280798629' post='2614383']

I've played one round since the upgrade, was surprised to see in the fairway view of Promode two 'chevrons', one at the top, and one and the bottom of the screen, each with a distance that changed as I scrolled along the fairway. One points up and the other down.. There's also a red icon that appears in the center of the display, that seems to be a layup distance marker, but I'm not really sure. it disappears when you scroll up far enough to view the green. Can anyone shed some light on what these are measuring to or from?

I foolishly didn't download the new instructional videos, and now realize these features may be discussed in them (I found the original videos a bit lame, didn't think for a second I might need to see the new ones).

Oherwise I'm liking the update a lot. the scoring package is cool but limited as most of them are. it does do the basics however. Given the stupid bets and junk that my group insists on playing for, there isn't a scoring package on any GPS that would provide it all anyway.

Steve
[/quote]

Those chevrons are there to show you the distance from the top of the screen and the bottom of the screen. dot in the middle is just the yardage to that spot. If you click your MEAS button twice it will give you the 100yrd layup, and click it 3 times for a 150yrd layup. Hold in the MEAS button for 3 seconds in promode and it marks your ball so you can get the distance hit.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I used the stats portion of the update on Saturday during my round, it works fine but can be time consuming. Personally I find it much easier to simply record the info on a scorecard as I have always done tracking fairways hit, GIR, sand saves and putts using check marks/numbers.

I did not even try to use the Shot Tracker part during my round so not sure how much time is involved with that. I am very confident that I know my personal yardages, my thinking is the Shot Tracker will not be helpful to me.

I will continue using all parts of the update over my next couple of rounds, right now I am about 75% in favor of not bothering to use the scoring module.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

[quote name='Golfwolf' timestamp='1280836363' post='2615011']
I used the stats portion of the update on Saturday during my round, it works fine but can be time consuming. Personally I find it much easier to simply record the info on a scorecard as I have always done tracking fairways hit, GIR, sand saves and putts using check marks/numbers.

I did not even try to use the Shot Tracker part during my round so not sure how much time is involved with that. I am very confident that I know my personal yardages, my thinking is the Shot Tracker will not be helpful to me.

I will continue using all parts of the update over my next couple of rounds, right now I am about 75% in favor of not bothering to use the scoring module.
[/quote]

I'm just the opposite. I found the scoring to be quick and easy and I'm looking forward to using the shot tracking. I switched irons this year and my current set has very traditional lofts (48* PW), so I've been a little inconsistent with my yardages. Several rounds with the shot tracker should give me a pretty good idea of what my real distances are with this set.

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1280835257' post='2614988']

Steve
[/quote]

Those chevrons are there to show you the distance from the top of the screen and the bottom of the screen. dot in the middle is just the yardage to that spot. If you click your MEAS button twice it will give you the 100yrd layup, and click it 3 times for a 150yrd layup. Hold in the MEAS button for 3 seconds in promode and it marks your ball so you can get the distance hit.
[/quote]

many thanks! there's no way I would have figured that out.. It now makes me wonder how useful this will be though.

[quote name='ramsey_steve' timestamp='1280857285' post='2615654']
[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1280835257' post='2614988']

Steve
[/quote]

[/quote]

many thanks! there's no way I would have figured that out.. It now makes me wonder how useful this will be though.
[/quote]

There have been a couple of times where I'd find this useful.

The way ProMode works is that it tries to guess the best view for you based on where you are on the hole.

Sometimes I find myself at a spot on a hole (usually a Par 5) where ProMode gives me a pic of nothing more than an expanse of grass. With no nearby hazards, there will be nothing to attach a distance to. Having the chevrons in place would give a quick at a glance idea of 'what' it is showing you.

Now it's simple enough to use the Meas function or click to switch views, but that does take a few clicks to go through the process. It sounds like this will let me have a quick glance and go.

is anyone having any issues with the MacSync since the update? It's telling me there was a "fatal error and must shut down" when attempt to open MacSync as I did before the update...I sent an email to support a couple days ago because I work during their business hours but I haven't gotten a response. I'm playing a new course that's not on my uPro tomorrow morning but it seems like I'm SOL now...

I am running Windows XP and a couple of days ago I downloaded version 4. I was able to sync once. However after that I started getting error messages "usb cable removed". It told me to turn off and then turn back on my unit. Needless to say this didn't work. Prior to the upgrade I was not having any problem syncing. I contact customer support by phone and the agent told me to delete my courses and try again. This didn't work. He then told me to send my unit and usb cable in to support for testing. I don't believe my cable is at fault as it has been working fine until yesterday.

In any case I have had various contacts with support since I have had my unit and have been very satisfied with the responses I have had. Hopefully they will either fix my unit or send me a replacement. However, the big thing for me is that whatever they do they install the over 30 courses that I had on my original unit.

John

Mine works fine except for when I try to measure how far I hit a drive. It says something about a club or something. So I cannot measure how far I hit.

What in the Bag
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Driver HZRDUS X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w HZRDUS X
Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS X
Callaway X Forged 4-7 KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Callaway Apex MB 8-PW KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Engage 52, 56 and 60 Wedge KBS Tour C Taper X
Nike Method 001

[quote name='nikegolfchad' timestamp='1281206691' post='2624643']
Mine works fine except for when I try to measure how far I hit a drive. It says something about a club or something. So I cannot measure how far I hit.
[/quote]

If you have shot tracking turned on, then pressing the right button for 3 seconds brings up a list of clubs to choose from so it can then track how far you hit a given club. If you have shot tracking turned off, pressing the right button for 3 seconds will just mark your current position so you measure the distance of that shot with no stat kept or tracked for it.

[quote name='Gsco' timestamp='1281149961' post='2623748']
Yeah, just the macsync program needs to be replaced.

I can send it to you as I had same problem.

Actually, you can get it [url="http://web.me.com/gold88/filechute/MacSync.zip"]here[/url] if you'd like.
[/quote]

Thanks, worked out great. Got it updated in time for this morning's round!