Montauk Downs

italianstallion

A muni out on the tip of Long Island
A good friend of mine had been pestering me all summer about getting down to Montauk to play Montauk Downs. Its a 4 hour journey to Bethpage Black from my house, so why on earth would I want to travel another two hours to a course that I know isn't going to be as good?

Well, I will eat my words. I knew Montauk Downs was a decent course, but I didn't expect to be as amazed as was. I'll go through condition, layout, and my final reactions.

Condition
Condition is a huge category for anyone who plays golf. We all want to play the best manicured courses possible. Montauk downs is no private course, nor is it a PGA tour stop that gets groomed to the nines all year long. It is a publicly owned and operated course that gets 300 rounds a day in the summer months and beat up by strong winds coming off the ocean all year long. As such, this course is no gem condition wise. However, that is not to say the condition is terrible. The superintendent formerly worked at Bethpage Red before he was called in to head the crew at Montauk Downs. The fairways are plush and firm, with a nice mow pattern. The greens are smooth and quick, and aside from the overload of unrepaired ball marks were flawless. However, the rough and the bunkers leave something to be desired. The rough is very spotty all over the course, and the bunkers all contain a different amount of sand. Some bunkers are soft and a joy to play out of. Others give you rock hard lies that leave you very prone to skulling your hopes of par over the greens. In addition, all the renovated holes (18, 12 for example) receive greater attention from the grounds crews, and it shows. Condition receives a 6/10

Layout
Honestly, the pictures will speak for themselves. With a few extra yards added, thicker rough, and a little TLC, I firmly believe this course would rival the difficulty of Bethpage Black. There are elevated greens, MASSIVE greenside bunkers all over the course, along with bunkers in just the right landing areas off the tees. There are a few long par 4's in the range of 440-460 yards, with the finishing hole being the hardest of them all. The 18th hole is without a doubt the most demanding finishing hole I have ever played. You can either layup short of the fairway bunkers and leave yourself 200-220 yards in, or try and hit the very narrow landing area between the bunkers and the woods with a driver. Oh, and if the wind is blowing, many of the long par 4s play right into the wind. This is an absolute treasure of a design, a solid 10/10 layout in my book.

I was able to play this course twice. Shot 76 the first day, 78 on the second day after a night of drinking/partying. Course is rated at 74.7 with a slope of 141. Between the natural surroundings, the challenge, and the design, I could play this course everyday and not get bored of it. I highly recommend the drive out to Montauk. Check out Nicks bar while you're there :drinks:

Enjoy the pictures

IMG_1075.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1084_2.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
The 18th hole
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg

And if you made it this far, here's a couple shots I snapped driving through some dogtrack called Shinnecock on my way off the Island. Sooooo nice
IMG_1128.jpg
IMG_1126.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg

[sign here]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1280549925' post='2609551']
A good friend of mine had been pestering me all summer about getting down to Montauk to play Montauk Downs. Its a 4 hour journey to Bethpage Black from my house, so why on earth would I want to travel another two hours to a course that I know isn't going to be as good?

Well, I will eat my words. I knew Montauk Downs was a decent course, but I didn't expect to be as amazed as was. I'll go through condition, layout, and my final reactions.

[b]Condition[/b]
Condition is a huge category for anyone who plays golf. We all want to play the best manicured courses possible. Montauk downs is no private course, nor is it a PGA tour stop that gets groomed to the nines all year long. It is a publicly owned and operated course that gets 300 rounds a day in the summer months and beat up by strong winds coming off the ocean all year long. As such, this course is no gem condition wise. However, that is not to say the condition is terrible. The superintendent formerly worked at Bethpage Red before he was called in to head the crew at Montauk Downs. The fairways are plush and firm, with a nice mow pattern. The greens are smooth and quick, and aside from the overload of unrepaired ball marks were flawless. However, the rough and the bunkers leave something to be desired. The rough is very spotty all over the course, and the bunkers all contain a different amount of sand. Some bunkers are soft and a joy to play out of. Others give you rock hard lies that leave you very prone to skulling your hopes of par over the greens. In addition, all the renovated holes (18, 12 for example) receive greater attention from the grounds crews, and it shows. Condition receives a 6/10

[b]Layout[/b]
Honestly, the pictures will speak for themselves. With a few extra yards added, thicker rough, and a little TLC, I firmly believe this course would rival the difficulty of Bethpage Black. There are elevated greens, MASSIVE greenside bunkers all over the course, along with bunkers in just the right landing areas off the tees. There are a few long par 4's in the range of 440-460 yards, with the finishing hole being the hardest of them all. The 18th hole is without a doubt the most demanding finishing hole I have ever played. You can either layup short of the fairway bunkers and leave yourself 200-220 yards in, or try and hit the very narrow landing area between the bunkers and the woods with a driver. Oh, and if the wind is blowing, many of the long par 4s play right into the wind. This is an absolute treasure of a design, a solid 10/10 layout in my book.

I was able to play this course twice. Shot 76 the first day, 78 on the second day after a night of drinking/partying. Course is rated at 74.7 with a slope of 141. Between the natural surroundings, the challenge, and the design, I could play this course everyday and not get bored of it. I highly recommend the drive out to Montauk. Check out Nicks bar while you're there :drinks: [/quote]

Shh! Thanks for the info but it must have been great for the group behind you watching you take all those pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the wise-a** comments above...

I second the "worth the trip" acknowledgment. I have been out there three times and the course was in great condition every time. DONT FORGET YOUR NYS ID/License if you are a resident. I barely scraped by when luckily the supervisor (not the most person) let me squeak in when I forgot mine. I had to show her 3 traffic violation tickets I had in the car as well as other personal info for proof.\\

Aside from that, and the tiny little range (lol) next to the pool (BIKINI WATCH!!!) the course is a challenge for sure. I holed out for eagle on the first par 5 (over the water) with a sand wedge, right after I saw my father 100 yards back drop about 1/2dozen titleist prov1's into that very pond. All the while DAMNING himself he could get his three iron home on the green. Thats why I love him!

If you haven't been Go.

I am going to Bethpage Black tomm!

[quote name='Jameson' timestamp='1282087932' post='2645829']
Besides the wise-a** comments above...

I second the "worth the trip" acknowledgment. I have been out there three times and the course was in great condition every time. DONT FORGET YOUR NYS ID/License if you are a resident. I barely scraped by when luckily the supervisor (not the most person) let me squeak in when I forgot mine. I had to show her 3 traffic violation tickets I had in the car as well as other personal info for proof.\\

Aside from that, and the tiny little range (lol) next to the pool (BIKINI WATCH!!!) the course is a challenge for sure. I holed out for eagle on the first par 5 (over the water) with a sand wedge, right after I saw my father 100 yards back drop about 1/2dozen titleist prov1's into that very pond. All the while DAMNING himself he could get his three iron home on the green. Thats why I love him!

If you haven't been Go.

I am going to Bethpage Black tomm!
[/quote]

You know that I was kidding - right?!

• 4 months later...

Great pics, I am lining up a 2-3 day trip to Long Island to play Montauk Downs as well as BP Black and Red....

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

[quote name='BEND OF THE RIVER GC' timestamp='1295404940' post='2907187']
Great pics, I am lining up a 2-3 day trip to Long Island to play Montauk Downs as well as BP Black and Red....
[/quote]

You won't regret it. Not only are you going to play some sweet golf courses but the drive through long island is unreal. Make sure you make the turn through Shinnecock, the public road that cuts through it is right off rt. 27

[sign here]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BEND OF THE RIVER GC' timestamp='1295404940' post='2907187']
[/quote]

I recognize this is sacriligious, but Bethpage is a horror show other than the Black. The groups seem like they go out 4 minutes apart, and you wait on every shot for 18 holes. First time I played the Green, I got to the second hole and there were 3 groups waiting. No, I'm not kidding.

I've played the Red twice, wouldn't do it again. Both times I teed off 45 minutes after my tee time, and each round took well over 5 hours. It's a nice course, but not worth that masochism. Both times my tee time was about noon; maybe if you can get the first tee time in the morning it will be worth it.

I usually go out as a single in the afternoon - if I can get on the Black I'll do it, if not I'll go somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

great pix, i love montauk downs. i have a good friend in east hampton and i always get to play there when i visit. thanks.

Condition

Layout

I was able to play this course twice. Shot 76 the first day, 78 on the second day after a night of drinking/partying. Course is rated at 74.7 with a slope of 141. Between the natural surroundings, the challenge, and the design, I could play this course everyday and not get bored of it. I highly recommend the drive out to Montauk. Check out Nicks bar while you're there :drinks:

Enjoy the pictures

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1084_2.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

The 18th hole

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

And if you made it this far, here's a couple shots I snapped driving through some dogtrack called Shinnecock on my way off the Island. Sooooo nice

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg