2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

isaacbm hitting balls at Calgary Dome

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1358236407' post='6231053']
Yes I know and feel that my head moves back in my swing. The trouble is that I hit the ball pretty well so my question is:" other than to make the swing look better, what's the point in trying to change that?"

the reason I go back through impact is because I lay the club down from the top and then hold the angle so long through the ball that my club is completely delofted through impact. I hit it perfectly straight almost every time but I launch driver about 5 degrees unless I make that move back from the target. It's a compensation I realize but changing it for the sake of changing it would mess up my entire swing. I understand that it can be a power loss but I have no problem going at it a bit and getting to 115 MPH. I swing a little less than that because I can control it more and I'm getting older...

So the compensation is to get more loft on my shots. If I just changed that, I would trap the ball so bad that I wouldn't be able to play...

My point is not that my swing is great, it's that all of the little compensations that are mixed in there have been developed over the years and the entire thing functions pretty well now. Unless I can improve ball flight without making all kinds of adjustments, I'm not going to change something just because it looks a little weird in slow motion.

I'm actually getting more and more to the place where I think the way a golf swing looks is pretty much worthless unless it can produce the flight a person is trying to achieve.
[/quote]

From that perspective Id think that unless youre required to hit a mid height shot that starts way right and moves way way left then who cares. I wouldnt think youd have a hard time fading the ball

If you didnt fall out of it then your armswing would change...and the hands through the ball. Huge changes to undertake. Ive been playing this game for 4.5 years. These are changes I want to make now. Seeing the progress is what makes me want to play. If I can break 80 with a unstable downswing/bent left arm/flippy left hand then Im excited to see what I can do when all that is gone. We all play for different reasons I guess. Im an 11.5 HC right now so its still a work in progress.

if you hit it solid and you like the flight then cool. But if you can play scratch golf like that (in reality to use compensatory maneuvers is "saving a shot") then you beat the game of golf IMO.

Hows your wedge game? Just curious. Trying to learn from someone better than me. Distance control issues?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I like to watch him hit 1 irons. Obviously nobody is perfect, but issac reached a high level and still stripes it. Learn from his swing and realize the dude understands the compensations he makes.

Now how many strippers do we need to hire for thrillhouse to get him out there hitting some 1 irons? ;)

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1358238398' post='6231081']
if you hit it solid and you like the flight then cool. But if you can play scratch golf like that (in reality to use compensatory maneuvers is "saving a shot") then you beat the game of golf IMO.

Hows your wedge game? Just curious. Trying to learn from someone better than me. Distance control issues?
[/quote]

Did you miss the part about him being a pro for 15 years, and is a +capper? He shouldn't really need to defend his game to you when he could spot you 15 strokes.

But it goes to show you that given enough time practicing, you can build a reliable swing that is not 'textbook' perfect.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1358257535' post='6231635']
Now how many strippers do we need to hire for thrillhouse to get him out there hitting some 1 irons? ;)
[/quote]

He did say something about coffee earlier. Maybe a stripper with a double double?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1358289948' post='6234959']

[/quote]

Did you miss the part about him being a pro for 15 years, and is a +capper? He shouldn't really need to defend his game to you when he could spot you 15 strokes.

But it goes to show you that given enough time practicing, you can build a reliable swing that is not 'textbook' perfect.
[/quote]

I did. he asked what people see. I said what i seen. Definately wasnt trying to insult the guy. He's that good so he likely didnt take it that way. But on camera its obvious. I actually love the swing and really find it intriguing that he can make such solid contact in a "pro" setting. Definately wasnt challenging his game. I guess it sounds like that in a text format? If I put a smiley after then it would have looked even more tackey lol

After playing that long the feel versus real is different compared to someone who has less time vested. Thats why I asked about the wedge game. If he was on camera hitting 60 yarders I bet he wouldn't move at all.

With all due respect. I dont accept strokes. Not a fan of the HC system. Although I keep one for progressive purposes; if I play somebody for money I go straight up (or some round robin dots type stuff, birdies, sandies etc.) Dont care who you are or how long you've played for. Again...with all due respect.

Yes I know and feel that my head moves back in my swing. The trouble is that I hit the ball pretty well so my question is:" other than to make the swing look better, what's the point in trying to change that?"

the reason I go back through impact is because I lay the club down from the top and then hold the angle so long through the ball that my club is completely delofted through impact. I hit it perfectly straight almost every time but I launch driver about 5 degrees unless I make that move back from the target. It's a compensation I realize but changing it for the sake of changing it would mess up my entire swing. I understand that it can be a power loss but I have no problem going at it a bit and getting to 115 MPH. I swing a little less than that because I can control it more and I'm getting older...

So the compensation is to get more loft on my shots. If I just changed that, I would trap the ball so bad that I wouldn't be able to play...

My point is not that my swing is great, it's that all of the little compensations that are mixed in there have been developed over the years and the entire thing functions pretty well now. Unless I can improve ball flight without making all kinds of adjustments, I'm not going to change something just because it looks a little weird in slow motion.

I'm actually getting more and more to the place where I think the way a golf swing looks is pretty much worthless unless it can produce the flight a person is trying to achieve.
[/quote]

From that perspective Id think that unless youre required to hit a mid height shot that starts way right and moves way way left then who cares. I wouldnt think youd have a hard time fading the ball

If you didnt fall out of it then your armswing would change...and the hands through the ball. Huge changes to undertake. Ive been playing this game for 4.5 years. These are changes I want to make now. Seeing the progress is what makes me want to play. If I can break 80 with a unstable downswing/bent left arm/flippy left hand then Im excited to see what I can do when all that is gone. We all play for different reasons I guess. Im an 11.5 HC right now so its still a work in progress.

[/quote]

FWIW Isaac is still a solid plus 3 who hits it really well. Honestly he doesn't really have any weaknesses other than he isn't all that long.

This is why I like to watch him hit 1 irons. Obviously nobody is perfect, but issac reached a high level and still stripes it. Learn from his swing and realize the dude understands the compensations he makes.

[/quote]

I'll get on it at some point, just been busy.

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1358292253' post='6235251']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358291793' post='6235189']
FWIW Isaac is still a solid plus 3 who hits it really well. Honestly he doesn't really have any weaknesses other than he isn't all that long.
[/quote]

That's sick. That's really all I can say about that lol
[/quote]

Why are you being such a jerk in this thread? I'm just trying to answer your question.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358292871' post='6235321']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why are you being such a jerk in this thread? I'm just trying to answer your question.
[/quote]

uhhh...wasnt being a jerk. not sure why youre taking it that way.

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1358294024' post='6235469']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358292871' post='6235321']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

uhhh...wasnt being a jerk. not sure why youre taking it that way.
[/quote]

Seemed sarcastic is all. My bad

Jesus! Everyone lighten up here. I wasn't in the least bit offended by anything that's been said. Crank it down thrill!

Ping G10

I think what I'd like to get across is that the most important part of the swing is that it repeats and that a person can hit all of the shots with the swing they have. My intention when I started this thread a long time ago was to just have a discussion about my swing. I wasn't really wanting to change anything. I think I've pretty much maxed out where I'm at and I don't have the time or the commitment to try to rebuild anything at this point in my life.

What I was trying to get at in my response to you is what is the point of changing something if the desired ball flight is already there.

A lot of people try to make their swing look better just for the sake of it looking better. I've seen so many pros destroy their careers trying to do just that. I can point out at least 10 major champions that have that "back away" move through the ball. Again, I don't think it's ideal, I just think that it's what I've come to over years of trial and error and there's no point in trying to change it at this point.

I think a good lesson for anyone trying to learn this game is to simplify what works best for them and groove their own move. Trying to copy someone elses swing or trying to make your swing "look" good is a recipe for disaster.

Again, no offense in anyway was taken.

I just think it's a good idea to start with ball flight and tweak your swing from there. Looking at a face on of a guys swing and then suggesting a change is only relevant if they're having a ball flight problem.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's my wedge game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_YAyONKlg&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Seriously though, my wedge game is pretty good. I've never had any problems with distance control at any point in my life. I would say that's one of the absolute best parts of my game with all clubs because I hit the middle of the face almost all of the time and I'm good at reading wind and lie conditions.

The above video was a gag vid I posted to get some laughs. Can't believe how many people tried to tell me how to change my swing to avoid hitting the hossel even though I'm toe shanking every shot on purpose. I even wrote "GAG VID" in the title.

Thought it might make you laugh.

That's funny think I might have seen that before.

All my responses were serious and I appreciate your notions on ballflight. You're absolutely right. I guess if I hit it solid all the time I wouldn't change my swing. Although I jump out of it so hard sometimes that my back hurts lol I know that has to go. Haven't done it in a while though. Im a victim of trying to perfect it. But that's just my nature. In some weird way I like it.

You should see if you can flop it to the top of the dome. I don't know how tall it is. I'd have to try it if I had the chance

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1358312372' post='6237605']

All my responses were serious and I appreciate your notions on ballflight. You're absolutely right. I guess if I hit it solid all the time I wouldn't change my swing. Although I jump out of it so hard sometimes that my back hurts lol I know that has to go. Haven't done it in a while though. Im a victim of trying to perfect it. But that's just my nature. In some weird way I like it.

You should see if you can flop it to the top of the dome. I don't know how tall it is. I'd have to try it if I had the chance
[/quote]

Any full wedge hits the ceiling about 50 yards out...

I hear you about trying to perfect it but as long as a person knows its impossible and they're just enjoying the chase then it's fine. Otherwise you might drive yourself crazy!

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1358317063' post='6237859']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1358312372' post='6237605']

[/quote]

Any full wedge hits the ceiling about 50 yards out...

I hear you about trying to perfect it but as long as a person knows its impossible and they're just enjoying the chase then it's fine. Otherwise you might drive yourself crazy!
[/quote]
Meh...Im active duty Air Force. There's a concept called CPI (Constant Process Improvement) involved. Never ending journey I guess. Ball flight is based on alignments. Im a fan of any instructor who can teach the yellow book if you get my drift....

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358291871' post='6235207']

[/quote]

I'll get on it at some point, just been busy.
[/quote]

How we doin?

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1358299948' post='6236171']
Here's my wedge game
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_YAyONKlg&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/media]

Seriously though, my wedge game is pretty good. I've never had any problems with distance control at any point in my life. I would say that's one of the absolute best parts of my game with all clubs because I hit the middle of the face almost all of the time and I'm good at reading wind and lie conditions.

The above video was a gag vid I posted to get some laughs. Can't believe how many people tried to tell me how to change my swing to avoid hitting the hossel even though I'm toe shanking every shot on purpose. I even wrote "GAG VID" in the title.

Thought it might make you laugh.
[/quote]

I fell victim perfectly..... played the video before I read the whole post. Pretty funny stuff.

If anything, watching someone purposely shank shots just says how much they own their swing. I won't try it because I'm worried it'll be permanent.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1360214018' post='6378523']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1360178080' post='6374365']
isaac...been to the dome lately?
[/quote]

I'm in Phoenix playing REAL golf. It's awesome!!
[/quote]

Heyyyyyyy...good for you!

How about some video?

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*